Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Convertible Top Problems!

60K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  davalles1959 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello everyone, I am new to the site but came looking for help! I have an '06 G6 convertible with 70k miles on it. Physically, the car is in immaculate shape, but I seem to have some new problems with it!

The biggest and most concerning is the convertible top. At the end of the summer, the top would "pop" open when I went to put it down, but it would not lift up and go down. When I would reverse the button to close it, it closes and locks back up with ease. Any suggestions on what it is? As spring is coming, I am taking it to the dealership on Monday to have it fixed. What should I expect??

A second problem I am having is with the heat. It takes forever to warm up, and the heat only blows when I hit the gas! When I am at a light, it immediately starts blowing cold air. Any suggestions there on that?

Thanks!!

#4 ·
I have a 2007 G6 GT and my top will go as far as lifting the trunk lid but the top won't lift off the windshield. I used to be able to push the button in the opposite direction and at least close it. But now I have to wait until gravity slowly closes the trunk lid, then pressing the switch it will complete the operation and secure the top. There is a GM paper #07-08-67-010B: Retractable Hard Top Switch Diagnosis I found. It requires a Tech 2 to poll the computer for error codes. I would love to find a shop to fix this.

#5 ·
Hello!

I could find a shop for you. If you would like my assistance can you private message me your name, zip code, VIN and current mileage. I can look up a shop that can address this issue for you.

Jackie
GM Customer Care

#6 ·
I have a 2007 Pontiac G6 convertible. I love my car, but on Thursday could not get the top to close. The deck lid opens but will not go any further. I currently have it at the GM dealership (a former Pontiac store) Today (Saturday) they still seemed stumped as to what the problem is. I need my car back! Any suggestions?

#7 ·
Ok I have a 2008 GT that only had 15,000 miles on it looks and smelled like new sat in a garage because the old lady whose deceased husband bought it new didn't like it. Well today went to put top down and would not secure the trunk lid will not go all the way in place otherwise everything seems the same and have had no problems before. I tried to put the top up and it will go up but not latch securely and the trunk lid will not go into place either I am sick. I was going to Florida in couple of weeks and scared they cannot get the roof fixed on the car taking it to the chevy dealer in the morning. Anyone else have this problem? If i get it back in place I don't think I will ever take it down again based on what everyone is saying on here about parts breaking and you can't find them now. Wish I had known about this before buying the car.

#8 ·
OK i am having the car looked at by a place the used to do the work for the former local Pontiac dealership they have a DVD from GM on how to work on it they told me. Said that the trunk lid was setting back out of adjustment and didn't know the cause the have the top up which is would do on its own and its secured with truck lid in place but you can't open the trunk. I told them haven't done anything wrong and never have items in there with top down. The only thing that might have happened was when pulling the safety shade into place i may have not shut the trunk lid down good. They told me they didn't think that caused a problem because there are sensor that would not have allowed the top to retract if the truck lid was not latched correctly. I am praying they can get it fixed was going to drive to Florida 4/6 and stay with friends for a week and wanted to use it. Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated also if you could suggest a list of parts that go bad I am thinking of buying the ones I can find now while I can still find them to stock pile them. Even if I don't use them I figure I could sell them with the car in couple of years since its like brand new. I feel like I need to sell it sooner if I can't use the top that was why I bought it to begin with.

#9 ·
Last fall, I had similar problems that were posted here. The lid opened, top started up to close, but would lock & not shut. The dealership (former Pontiac) discovered that the bracket that the hinge was wielded to the roof on was broken. I had to have a whole new roof installed. Luckily a former Pontiac store in the southern part of the state had one. When I 2st bought the car 5 yrs ago the motor had to be replaced.

#10 ·
Wow that doesn't sound good the former Pontiac dealership was sold and the current GM Chevy Buick dealership did not have time to get to it so that's why I went with a trim shop that does convertible tops. They told me they used to do all of the work for the former Pontiac dealership and that they had a DVD from Pontiac on it. They have had a guy off sick so have not done anything other than they got the top back up and the pushed the trunk lid into place but it will not open like a normal trunk. I wonder how I could have a weld on the top break like yours when the top would go up and down the only problem was the trunk lid would not move into place to lock down. Never had a problem and before I bought the car I would be the top only went down dozen times because it sat in a garage because the lady whose husband bought it new for her died and she didn't like the car and didn't drive it because it was a convertible. I can't believe I did anything to break a hinge especially on the top, I could see how it could be a trunk lid hinge. Was the part hard to get that's what worried me and should I start trying to buy certain spare parts? Any suggestions there.

#11 ·
It is the fluid. Get ONLY GM 88801975 Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering Fluid. There is a plastic fill tank in the trunk under the plastic liner. You must take out the pop nuts remove the plastic liner then with a funnel fill the white plastic tank until it gets to the full mark. Run the top a few times since the system bleeds itself then check it and re-fill to the max mark. Have a shop towel down in case you spill and check for leaks. Many times the "o" rings go out on the lines and need replaced. WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT PUT THE TOP DOWN UNTIL YOU HAVE IT FILLED! If you do then you will have to remove the trunk, backseat, 5 actuator pins and many other parts to your car just to manually close the lid. It is literally the worst job I have ever done on a car! I would rather change and engine.

#17 ·
It’s been awhile since you posted this, but I purchased mine used & have never let the top down. How do I check the hydraulic level before I attempt it? And, my vinyl cover in the trunk has been taken off. It’s lying in the trunk. I read somewhere that it must be installed and open for the convertible to open. Any ideas as to how to go about reinstalling it? Thanks for any help!

#13 · (Edited)
Mine did the same thing as the pin that holds the top stationary in the trunk fell past its resting place causing the top not to rise from the trunk. When this happens the top will start to lift and then stall. The brackets that hold the pins on the top part of the glass section will fail over time. We removed the entire glass panel and re-welded the mounts that hold the pin brackets. Then replaced the glass panel. Now better than stock. Replacing the entire panel is great, but welding is a better option. See link for photos...
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/threads/calling-all-convertible-owners.50507/post-274641

#14 ·
Had an issue with my top folding up going into the trunk and not wanting to come back up and throwing an error code I got lucky by resetting the battery unplugging it and letting it set for 5 minutes then replugging the battery and the top seem to work that it would immediately throw the error code again first thing I did was try to fix the switch in the trunk for the cargo top unit I ended up unplugging it and creating a permanent bypass but unfortunately now the main switch and the front of the car that you push to raise and lower the top is not working I did fill the reservoir and make sure it had hydraulic fluid as it stands now the top is up it is locked in position the bypass switch in the cargo area keeps it from throwing a code the top no longer goes up or down and I'm driving it like a two-door hardtop.

#16 ·
You may need to be more specific. Besides being able to get the hydraulic rams rebuilt (tophydraulics.com), there are some (mostly used) parts on eBay. Ask your local GM dealer to do a locate for a specific part...many of which can be purchased very cheap as GM/Pontiac dealers look to unload any remaining Pontiac parts. Check out salvage yards (findapartnow.com).

#19 ·
The hydraulic fluid for the top is in a resovouir attached to the pump. The easiest way to check the level is to remove or pull back the panel on the right hand side of the trunk when you are looking in from the rear. There are a couple of electrical connectors to be mindful of (trunk light and vinyl cover in place switch) - you don't need to disconnect them, just don't yank the cover off. It should look something like this

Automotive design Motor vehicle Gas Automotive tire Machine

The vinyl cover pulls out and retracts. It has spring loaded ends that clip into the trunk sides. You then pull the vinyl cover out and clip the small bar into the slot by the trunk light like the picture below. If you have anything in the trunk it needs to be below the cover and not pushing it up, else the roof will try and occupy the same space (not good for one or the other). Hope this helps.

Trunk Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Truck Bumper

#25 ·
Okay, I'm having the car examined by a shop that used to work for the defunct Pontiac dealership in my area; they informed me they have a DVD from GM on how to work on it. said that the vehicle lid was in position and that the top was up, as it would do on its own, but that the trunk lid was out of alignment and that they didn't know why. I informed them they hadn't done anything illegal and that they never put anything in there with the top down. The only thing that could have gone wrong was if I hadn't properly closed the trunk lid after securing the safety shade in place.

#27 ·
Hello everyone, I am new to the site but came looking for help! I have an '06 G6 convertible with 70k miles on it. Physically, the car is in immaculate shape, but I seem to have some new problems with it! The biggest and most concerning is the convertible top. At the end of the summer, the top would "pop" open when I went to put it down, but it would not lift up and go down. When I would reverse the button to close it, it closes and locks back up with ease. Any suggestions on what it is? As spring is coming, I am taking it to the dealership on Monday to have it fixed. What should I expect?? A second problem I am having is with the heat. It takes forever to warm up, and the heat only blows when I hit the gas! When I am at a light, it immediately starts blowing cold air. Any suggestions there on that? Thanks!!
Hey, have the thermostat check. It might be stuck in the open position. Good luck. Danny