2006: speedometer, dash, stereo problems - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

2006: speedometer, dash, stereo problems

I have a 06 G6 and sometimes while driving or even when starting the car everything on the dash stops working. The speedometer stops working completely, says I'm empty on fuel (even though I have a full tank) and says I have 0 miles on car even though I have likes 83k miles. My blinker lights won't even work on the inside but DO work on the outside of car. So basically everything on the dash quits working. At the same time the stereo will say Locked. While driving it will stay like this for awhile and then randomly start working on its own. If this happens when first getting in car it won't even start. I have to keep taking out key and trying to start it again until the stereo no longer says Locked. Took it to be look at but of course the problem wasn't happening right then so they couldn't see what I was talking about. It doesn't happen all the time but is getting more frequent. Any suggestions or anybody else had this problem that knows the solution???

Last edited by MaeG; 03-21-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 01:13 PM
G6ADDICT

Garage
i had a similar problem on my 08 focus. it ended up being a fuse. so you should check both of your fuse panels
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Do you remember which fuse it was?? I know where my fuse box is but how do you check the fuses to know which one could be the problem?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM
G6ADDICT

Garage
theres two fuse boxes, one obviously is next to your battery and the other is inside the passenger foot well on the left side. just pop that panel off and its right there. the stereo fuse is the inside fuse box but im not sure about the cluster. and to check the fuses just pull them out and look at them. most of your fuses are clear and theres a little metal tap that goes from one side of the fuse to the other. if thats broken or burnt then you need to replace it. there extremely cheap to buy too. theres normally a little fuse puller tool atached to the panels you take off. if its not there just use needle nose pliers
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for responding! I'm going on a long road trip and was scared that I might have car troubles. I hope it's as simple as just a bad fuse. Would a bad fuse let it work sometimes? Because it is intermittent and works most the time.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 05:55 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

symptoms:
intermittent IPC gauge dropout associated with intermittent crank/no start & DIC message: "Locked"

Sorry, I don't have any simple solution for you. Testing needs to be done. An intermittent issue like that can be tough to isolate. You might consider waiting till the problem gets worse & it becomes easier to find. I can tell you that it is not a fuse issue.

Here's a member with a similar issue but no resolution:
Dashboard gauges

You might try PM-ing them & ask if they know what fixed this issue in their case. It could help.

Last edited by greenman; 03-22-2013 at 02:19 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 08:25 PM

Re: 2006: speedometer, dash, stereo problems

FYI, there's also a fuse box in the trunk on the left side.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2009 Techno Gray Metallic G6 GXP Sedan (3.6L Auto6 112K miles)
---
CRAB Intake Opt 3 w/FPU, Lloyds GXP floor mats, HIDs low 6000k 55w/fog 3000k 35w, LED DRLs behind lower grills, V3 Triton LED turn signal/reverse/brake, LED side markers/maps/dome/tag/trunk/high mount stop, 2 coats niteshades on tails, Tint 35% all around, Debadged (except arrows), PAC IPod and BT adapters, PowerStop D/S rotors and ceramic pads, Resonator repl w/24" cherry bomb, Racingline STB, Big 3 Upgrade, Optima Yellowtop D75/25, Blacked out arrows, chrome window trim and black dipped wheels, KYB struts and shocks, CM lowering springs, Cherry Bomb Vortex Crossflow muffler, 2.5" pipe from axle back, two 4" stainless double walled slant tips
...still working...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaeG View Post
I have a 06 G6 and sometimes while driving or even when starting the car everything on the dash stops working. The speedometer stops working completely, says I'm empty on fuel (even though I have a full tank) and says I have 0 miles on car even though I have likes 83k miles. My blinker lights won't even work on the inside but DO work on the outside of car. So basically everything on the dash quits working. At the same time the stereo will say Locked. While driving it will stay like this for awhile and then randomly start working on its own. If this happens when first getting in car it won't even start. I have to keep taking out key and trying to start it again until the stereo no longer says Locked. Took it to be look at but of course the problem wasn't happening right then so they couldn't see what I was talking about. It doesn't happen all the time but is getting more frequent. Any suggestions or anybody else had this problem that knows the solution???
MaeG,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue with your G6 vehicle. I agree with “greenman” in regards to this concern. This may be related to a connection issue and most likely is not a due to a blown fuse.

I encourage you to have the vehicle inspected by a certified technician for an official diagnosis.

If you need assistance locating a technician near you, please PM me your zip code for a listing.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Have you checked into GM Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.gm.com!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 05:09 PM

My first guess would be the electrical part of the ignition switch. When it happens some fuses will not have power, not sure which ones on a G6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.