'08 G6 (2.4L 4cyl - 4spd auto) transmission woes - Pontiac G6 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

'08 G6 (2.4L 4cyl - 4spd auto) transmission woes

Hey all,

I've been cruising the forums looking for a possible solution to a problem I've recently encountered with my '08 G6 2.4L. In short, I was taking a left hand turn going up a hill and I suddenly, without warning (no knocks, noises, noticeable grinding, etc), lost all drive. When I'd accelerate, RPM's would go up, but the vehicle would not move. I tried D, 3, and L and still nothing. I can, however, still go in reverse. I have since checked the transmission fluid level and all seems well there besides the initial frustration over the lack of a transmission fluid dipstick. *shakes fists at GM*

I am not entirely sure what to look for next, which is why I've registered in order to ask you knowledgable folks for your thoughts. Thanks, everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 08:12 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
sounds like the transmission is done, but I wonder if it has anything to do with the shifter cable recall. Do you know if your car needs or has had the recall work done?

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Man, I'm really hoping that's not the case. I actually don't know if it's had the recall work done, or even if it needs it. I'll have to check that out. I'll look up some more information regarding that, though. Thanks for looking out!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

After some searching, it doesn't appear that the transmission cable is particularly connected to my exact problem, but I'm still going to check it out and see if maybe it was worked on before.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 12:41 PM

- Failure of the forward clutch is another common problem. The symptoms are no forward gears but the transmission still has reverse. Replacement of the forward clutch requires the removal of the transmission and complete disassemble of the transmission.

- Failure of the input sprag clutch. The symptoms are the same as the failure of the forward clutch and are no forward gears but the transmission still has reverse. Replacement of the forward clutch requires the removal of the transmission and complete disassemble of the transmission.

- See more at: http://etereman.com/blog/general-mot....WgRzaxy8.dpuf

09 G6 2.4 Sun & sound package-Preferred package
225/50R17S factory
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Thank you, slls!

That looks to be an incredibly enlightening website, and I'll be sure to read every word on the 4T45E. Now I have a few things to inquire about when I talk to the mechanic. Thank you very much!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 11:55 AM

your welcome

225/50R17S factory
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 07:55 PM

This is the most likely cause. Need to just drop pan, easy fix. Broken tube. I can't post image to go with post for some reason.

you mean broke like this? Seems to happen all the time but nobody know its a simple fix, they just replace transmission because mechanic said so, its a shame. We got the new tube from a local AAMCO for like 30 bucks and put it in. Mum's got her car back now and all is well. Carefull on the fluid, we measured what came out to put the same back in and it ws a little over 8 quarts

225/50R17S factory
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 08:01 PM

Figured it out finally.

225/50R17S factory
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Hey slls,

What exactly are we looking at here? Did you mean to post that in this thread or another? I'm very curious to know what you're working on there. Do you think it has anything to do with my issue?

Thanks!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

After finding an archived thread with that information, I am looking to find more information regarding removing the pan and to know exactly what that part is called so I can look it up. Dude, you very likely have saved me from making a very costly mistake. Thank you for finding that and posting it.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

I apologize for the repeat postings. I don't believe I can edit my posts.

Slls, in the photo, is that the transmission cooler line that is broken? I'm trying to identify the specific part so I can look up prices. My G6 is currently at a shop so I can't check it out myself, unfortunately. I do intend to ask the mechanic his thoughts, but I have a feeling he'll assure me that the transmission needs to be replaced. I'm hoping he hears me out, otherwise I'll be towing the car home then.

Thank you for all of your help.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 11:50 AM

Have some one drop the pan, if tube is broken your golden. Broken tube has no forward gears, but reverse.

This fix was posted last year on this site. Resident expert "greenman" never posted again after this fix was posted, I think his nose got broke.

225/50R17S factory
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your help, slls.

I have my G6 at a shop right now and the mechanic is going to drop the pan and take a look. He seemed interested to know about this issue. I might likely take a look for myself once I get it home. If the transmission really is shot, I'm going to be taking it somewhere else due to a better quote.

Thanks all! I'll keep you updated.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Sorry I haven't been back to let everyone know how things went. To reiterate the issues for anyone just checking in, I was driving up a hill and I lost all forward gears. The RPM's would go up as usual when I hit the accelerator, but I'd get no forward movement. I could, however, get reverse with no issues. After some extremely helpful advice, I was able to get the problem fixed.

Just to let everyone know what the problem was for sure, it was the forward gear feed tube up under the transmission pan. Somehow, it had snapped clean. Instead of getting a replacement, the mechanic went ahead and welded it. I've put another 500 some miles on the car since then and have been free of any issues.

Special thanks to slls for pointing me in the right direction. I owe you a fruit basket or something. Lol
plano_doug likes this.

'08 Pontiac G6 2.4L sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.