Squeak from rear - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Squeak from rear

2007 GT HTC 3.9L A/T

I've had a squeak from the rear of my car and have not been able to find it. Finally after almost a year from the day I Purchased the car. I found it.
I really thought it was the rear brakes or suspension. I've disassembled the rear brakes and replaced Rotors / Pads and hardware. That was NOT IT
I disassembled the rear control arms and all parts of the suspension. That was NOT IT
Finally I greased the parking brake cables and mounting brackets by the rear calipers. THAT WAS IT. So if you have the same squeak coming from the rear check that out. I can't believe something so simple could make so much noise.

2007 G6 GT Hardtop Convertible AT. 3.9L all options
Liquid Silver 2nd Owner
Other Rides 2010 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2014 Chevy Cruze 2.0L Turbo Diesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 04:50 PM

Thanks for letting us know. I have a break squeal like noise from the rear of mine. Will give this a go as well. At least it may prevent it from becoming the problem even if it is not the cause today.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 07:43 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
Ahhh... the old cricket chirp. yup you'll hear it over every single bump in the street and you'll swear its coming from the back, then the front. You'll hear it echoing off of buildings and walls as you drive by them. Then after going over every single possible part you realize it was the stupid clips and all it needs was a little grease. I now clean and re-grease every oil change / tire rotation.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Yes That's it.

I guess I should do the same clean and regrease those on regular basis. It just amazes me that GM would design a poor system as that but. Now that I know I think we should let as many of G6 owners know about this fix as possible. I noticed the noise would be absolutely silent when I drove the car in the snow or if I applied the parking brake while driving. That's what gave the idea to lube the cable's and brackets. Now I see I was not the only one that had this problem. Thanks for letting know.

2007 G6 GT Hardtop Convertible AT. 3.9L all options
Liquid Silver 2nd Owner
Other Rides 2010 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2014 Chevy Cruze 2.0L Turbo Diesel
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 12:53 PM

That fix has been posted here many times.

09 G6 2.4 Sun & sound package-Preferred package
225/50R17S factory
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 03:55 PM

Could anyone be more specific in terms of what needs greasing? Like, with the wheel still on, just smear grease all over the parking brake cable where it enters the back of the caliper? I don't understand how that could produce a squeaking noise....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:52 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
Shove grease in the metal clip holding the e-brake cable. then grab that cable move it around and grease again.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

The squeak that keeps giving

Well after driving my car this winter all the grease washed away and that squeak came back. So just yesterday I pulled off the rear wheels with parking brake applyed and packed grease into the cable casing where the cable comes out by the calipers. And then the clips on the frame as shown above then I released the parking brake handle then pulled it up and down a bunch of times to make sure the grease went into the casing. My noise is completely gone. Just love that design.

Last edited by jeffs64; 03-17-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.