Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Dash lights up when accelerating

6K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Liam 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a Pontiac 2006 G6. When I accelerate to pass on highway, all my dash lights come on, along with the dinging for a few seconds, then they're off until I hit it again. Driving roughly at 120km p/hr, its all good again. I lose my power steering a bit ( I got the recall steering module replaced a year ago that cost GM a fortune ) brakes go mushy a bit but still work, pedal goes too far to floor then seems ok after, I replaced all pads and rotors summer last year but I know that's irrelevant because they're fine before the chaos . I checked my battery..12.89, then alternator..14.79 running, 13.89 under load, OBD2 no codes. I'm thinking maybe belt is slipping but not sure because charging system is great as you can see. I'm stumped, any ideas?

#2 ·
You actually have quite a drop in voltage when underload, like technically it should still be A okay at 13.8 but just to be safe test your grounds, and check to make sure your post ends on your battery are tight. I had similar probs that my dash lights would come on and my headlights would flicker a little on acceleration when I put in my sound system. Turned out I had to tighten my ground terminal on my battery, that fixed my dash lots issue but not my headlight flicker. That was fixed with my grounding kit. So tell me it seams like something is up with your ground. Your battery can still read fine with a bad ground

#4 ·
Yes I did, forgot to post back. It was my belt, pretty much ready to blow apart, glossy, hard, cracked, so it was just slipping when I hit it, replaced it and all is good. Now for the bizarre part, you posted now about yours doing it and mine just did it again twice this week, weird coincidence. Only this time it was a ground issue, I tackled a remote start with bypass module install on the weekend simply to get more remote distance, and ran out of connectors. I backed off the ground nut at the bcm, that's where most of the connections were, and stuck the wire in behind the ground washer, it was heavy gauge so when I tightened the nut back on it wasn't a solid connection. Same shit started again as before so I put a proper connector on and now good again, so your grounding suggestion worked out, maybe your belt is pooched. The only time I had headlight flickering is when I installed an HID kit, a constant 12 volt harness took care of that problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.