Weird cricket noise when driving - Pontiac G6 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By waterfowler76

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Weird cricket noise when driving

I have a 08 pontiac g6 with almost 94k miles on it. I bought it a couple of weeks ago and here are its problems.

1) Service tire monitor light is on, I took it to firestone and they said that my tire monitors were all functioning and that they are not sure what is causing the light to be on.
2) Service air bag light is on, the person that I bought it from says that he is 100% sure the airbag works fine but the sensor is stuck on and that is why the light is on.
^^^^ Those are the minor problems

My biggest concern at the moment is this cricket noise that is constant when I'm driving. Its there whether I'm driving 5mph or 80 mph and its constant and doesnt increase/decrease with speed. HOWEVER, this noise is not there when the car is in park. Its only there when its in drive. I documented a quick video with the noise.
The noise is really clear at the 7 second mark and at the very end of the video.

Does anyone know what this noise might possibly be??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 01:55 AM

I had the service tire monitor problem back in the spring. It happened before I had my winter tires (I live in southwestern Ontario in Canada) taken off. The SVC Monitor signal came on, but it's because the monitors needed to be reset by a shop. They put new batteries in them and they were fine. I asked the mechanic at the time if it could've been something else and he said the sensor can also go, but normally it's just the batteries that need to be reset. If there's a specific mechanic you trust, I'd go and see them.

I haven't had an issue with the service air bag, but it sounds like a sensor might not be working. Have you had a code reader on the car to pull up a possible code? A lot of parts stores offer that for free, they won't clear the codes but they'll scan it. It gives you a more specific idea of what's wrong. I wouldn't say an airbag issue is a minor issue. If the sensor's not working right and you're in an accident, it might not come out. I'd definitely get that fixed.

For the noise, it sounds like it might be the wear indicator that's on most brake pads. It's a little metal strip and when it wears down, it makes a squealing sound against the rotor to let you know you should either get new brakes or at least new pads. Even if you're not braking, it'll still happen. Is it coming from one specific side of the car? When was the last time the brakes and pads were done on the car? You might get lucky and they might only need servicing, which is basically re-lube parts in the brake system and using a small hand sander to get rust off the pads. Most shops do that for between $100 to $150. I do that myself once a year in the summer. It helps your brakes last longer and only takes a few hours, or one beer per brake.

Another thing you might want to check is the belts in the engine, but only when the car's not running, obviously. If they're loose or worn, they can make noises. Do you specifically know where the noise is coming from? If it's the engine, it's likely a belt. If it's the wheels, it's likely the brakes with an outside chance of something being up with the wheel bearings.

Also, you might want to have a longer talk with the guy you bought it from. It sounds like it needed work that he neglected and is passing the buck off on you. If you're having possible tire monitor, airbag and brakes issues, he might've been trying to dump the car while he still could. I'd hate to see you buy the used car then have to put a few hundred dollars of repairs into it less than a month after buying it.

Let us know and we can narrow down the options!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 10:17 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
The famous cricket sound is the clip on the rear brake holding the E brake cable. it needs to be greased. see this thread.
Slight squeaking when going over slight bumps....
Gregorich likes this.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowler76 View Post
The famous cricket sound is the clip on the rear brake holding the E brake cable. it needs to be greased. see this thread.
Slight squeaking when going over slight bumps....
I think you're right! I drove without my E brake on and the sound was there, as soon as I pulled my E Brake up the sound was gone.

I'm not a car guy so I really dont know how to grease it or how to even reach back there. Can you please show me a step by step on how to do it? I dont want to take it to a shop because I feel like they'll charge me way too much for what seems like a simple task. If this solves it then you're a life saver!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 01:04 PM

Here is a picture of the bracket. there is one on each side. what you can do is get a can of white lithium grease and spray inside that little metal sleve. I was able to reach them by putting my arm through my rim. I usually re grease every oil change / tire rotation.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowler76 View Post
Here is a picture of the bracket. there is one on each side. what you can do is get a can of white lithium grease and spray inside that little metal sleve. I was able to reach them by putting my arm through my rim. I usually re grease every oil change / tire rotation.
I'll try this tomorrow and I'll let you know the results. Thanks for the help!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorich View Post
I had the service tire monitor problem back in the spring. It happened before I had my winter tires (I live in southwestern Ontario in Canada) taken off. The SVC Monitor signal came on, but it's because the monitors needed to be reset by a shop. They put new batteries in them and they were fine. I asked the mechanic at the time if it could've been something else and he said the sensor can also go, but normally it's just the batteries that need to be reset. If there's a specific mechanic you trust, I'd go and see them.

I haven't had an issue with the service air bag, but it sounds like a sensor might not be working. Have you had a code reader on the car to pull up a possible code? A lot of parts stores offer that for free, they won't clear the codes but they'll scan it. It gives you a more specific idea of what's wrong. I wouldn't say an airbag issue is a minor issue. If the sensor's not working right and you're in an accident, it might not come out. I'd definitely get that fixed.

For the noise, it sounds like it might be the wear indicator that's on most brake pads. It's a little metal strip and when it wears down, it makes a squealing sound against the rotor to let you know you should either get new brakes or at least new pads. Even if you're not braking, it'll still happen. Is it coming from one specific side of the car? When was the last time the brakes and pads were done on the car? You might get lucky and they might only need servicing, which is basically re-lube parts in the brake system and using a small hand sander to get rust off the pads. Most shops do that for between $100 to $150. I do that myself once a year in the summer. It helps your brakes last longer and only takes a few hours, or one beer per brake.

Another thing you might want to check is the belts in the engine, but only when the car's not running, obviously. If they're loose or worn, they can make noises. Do you specifically know where the noise is coming from? If it's the engine, it's likely a belt. If it's the wheels, it's likely the brakes with an outside chance of something being up with the wheel bearings.

Also, you might want to have a longer talk with the guy you bought it from. It sounds like it needed work that he neglected and is passing the buck off on you. If you're having possible tire monitor, airbag and brakes issues, he might've been trying to dump the car while he still could. I'd hate to see you buy the used car then have to put a few hundred dollars of repairs into it less than a month after buying it.

Let us know and we can narrow down the options!
Thanks for replying,

A couple of weeks ago I had alignment done at Firestone and I let them know about the SVC tire monitor. The guy said that they did their best to find whats causing it and he also said that they reset all the monitors and that they all seem to be working properly. He also mentioned that the SVC tire monitor and SVC airbag light both lit up due to an issue in the car's sensors thats causing the false alarms to light up.

I feel like I would spend hundreds of dollars trying to fix the airbag issue and it still wouldn't fix it. Nobody seems to know whats exactly causing it.

As for the guy who sold the car to me, he is a long time family friend who also sold us my brother's old car a few years ago. He assured us that the car was mechanically sound and that he said he drove it from Oklahoma City to Houston and there was no issues with it. He is also a mechanic and works at a small private auto shop. However, I will say that he gets most of his cars from car auctions and then he proceeds to fix them up and sells them. I wouldn't expect any of his cars to be perfect. I still think I couldn't have gotten a better car for the price that I paid for this G6 ($4500).
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

**The SVC tire monitor and SVC airbag light could've both lit up due to an issue in the car's sensors thats causing the false alarms to light up. He is not sure about this one
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 02:34 AM

Thanks to Waterfowler76 for the tip about the e-brake cable. I never even thought of that! I've never heard it on my car, but it gives me a heads up for when it happens. I hope that's your issue, aal3. A bottle of lithium grease is a nice cheap and easy fix.

Did the guy at Firestone say replacing the sensors would fix them? Or did he just say leave it as is? If it were me I'd be going back to the guy who sold you the car and having him fix any issues. If you're paying for a car, it shouldn't have those type of issues, in my opinion. As long as you're happy and safe in the car, all's well.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

I bought a can of white lithium grease and used the whole can on the 2 rear sides. I saw the bracket that you were talking about but I couldn't tell the exact area to spray so I just put my arm through the rim and basically sprayed everything in that general area. I did that for both sides. I drove it 10 minutes later and the sound was still there.

Maybe I was supposed to take the rim and tire off to reach better? when you usually do it how much do you spray?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 10:25 AM

What I would do is use the straw attachment and if you look carefully there is a sleeve on the actual brake cable that is held by that bracket. I put the straw in between the two (under the sleeve but above the bracket) and give it a little squirt. then grab the brake cable just left of the bracket and move it around a little to get the grease everywhere in there. then maybe another squirt if needed. Make sure parking brake is off.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:31 AM

Hate to revive an old thread but the permanent fix for this is to replace the stock rear e-brake cables with aftermarket cables from Dorman. The metal casing on the cable has been replaced with a large rubber casing so there is no metal to metal contact on that bracket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.