starting - Pontiac G6 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

starting

I sure wish my guy would've driven the car around for awhile before declaring it good
1st needed new rack and pinion
now im having a small starting issue
I love the way it rides and drives, engine purrs no shake

however....
it seems to have some trouble starting after sitting overnight or a couple of hours

it has always started...but it will crank up for about 30-40 seconds before starting

new battery. I had batt/start/alt checked at a place that specializes in that. he said he couldn't say any was bad.

im getting the oil changed Saturday. I will make sure it gets a new filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 01:33 AM

Hmm... That's frustrating. I've been in your shoes a few times with my G6 when one problem gets fixed, and another pops up a few days later. The joys of owning a car.

These are all guesses - since my first guesses would've been the starter, battery or alternator - to start off and maybe your mechanic buddy can check into these, but hopefully someone can jump in with a definite answer. If I had to guess, it's either something electronically wrong with the car or the combustion process that occurs when the car's started. I found this video online. Is this similar to how your car attempts to start?

Are you getting any codes? If so, have them scanned at a parts store for free or your buddy should have one. If there's no codes, it could get into quite a guessing game. I read everything from bad O2 sensors or a bad cat convertor to a bad battery or alternator. The most common thing I found was either problems with the fuel pump or the fuse box. For the fuse box, I saw someone wasn't getting a proper ground for the starter since the fuse box was bad. Once they replaced the fuse box, it fixed the issue. I found another post here about replacing the purge solenoid. But for that to happen, you'd have a check engine light coming on.

G6 having problems starting/idling

There were a few people in the comments of this video who think it's the fuel pump.

There's also a really outside chance the throttle body is super dirty and needs a good cleaning. I clean mine about once a year. You just need throttle body cleaner, which costs like $7 a can, to do it. Your buddy probably has some and it sounds like he owes you one at this point.

Hopefully getting the oil changed and a new filter will help, or when they get it on a lift something will look out of place and the can fix it right then. Please keep us posted!

2008 Pontiac G6 - 2.4-litre four cylinder engine - 165,000-kilometres
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

thanks for all the advice
update
I just had the recall work done at the chevy dealer
it sat for 24hrs, when he pulled up he said "yeah it did hard start" he said probably drain back valve"
but that was just a guess. he said $110 for actual diagnoastic

I watched some you tube. I listened for pump when "on" didn't necessarily hear anything.
checked fuse, looked ok. I felt the "click" on the relay

my coworker who is a car guy said you may not hear the pump. he figures if the pump was bad it would have random start trouble

im gonna try renting the fuel pressure guage and seeing what I get.

I just had the recall new shift cable and clamshell retainer. and BCM and BPPS repair

it runs great, quiet smooth engine.

no error codes

if it is the pump...is there a brand you all could recommend

thanks again everyone

Last edited by TurtleT; 08-25-2016 at 10:36 AM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 12:21 AM

I found this old post on the forum. He was also having issues starting his car, similar to you. It sounds very close to your issues and is probably worth looking at. I mentioned it in an above comment, but when I was researching it a lot of people found an issue to be with the fuse box. A bad connection would definitely count as a problem that could flare up, especially for a car that was in a serious accident.

Like I've said before, these are all guesses based off what I've found online. Checking a possible bad connection is a lot more inexpensive than a new fuel pump though.

fuel pump problem

i had the same issue, couldnt hear the pump when key was turned to on position.

FINALLY FOUND THE PROBLEM AFTER 6 MONTHS OF FRUSTRATING STARTS AND MONEY WASTED!

its the connection between the fuel pump to the relay behind the rear fusebox.
I pushed the connection (wire harness) together to the back of the fusebox where the fuel pump relay is located on the fusebox. seems to be a misconnection that won't allow the power to reach the fuel pump.

still havent fixed it properly but atleast i know where the problem is located.
hope it helped you guys somehow...

For fuel pump brands, there's not a lot of options. I always go with ACDelco when I can for parts on my G6, unless there's a massive price difference. They specifically deal with GM, so it's a good match. I checked AutoZone's website and it was like $400 for ACDelco and $250 for Delphi and Spectra, so I'd likely use either Delphi or Spectra.

I did see a recall for fuel pumps purchased for G6's between June 10, 2013 and Aug. 16, 2013. I really doubt that's the problem since that's such a brief time frame for a specific dealer. Worth mentioning, just in case.

Fuel Pump Safety Recall: NHTSA Campaign Number: 13E-043

Personally, I'd check out the connections in the fuse box and see if something's loose first. I don't have my manual handy, but it'll be in yours under fuses in the index. The fuse boxes are located on the driver side in the engine, the driver side of the trunk and the passenger side towards the middle of the car.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

so
I just had new tires installed at sears, and he says he smelled gas so he looked and
the fuel pump is leaking.
I asked my oil change place to check...I asked the chevy dealer to check. (they wanted $110 for diagnostic)
so....
I will buy a new pump, and set up a time my buddy and I, mostly him, can install it.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 03:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
Its pretty common for the plastic hose above the fuel pump to crack. unfortunately the whole pump has to be replaced. Hopefully this fixes the last of your problems.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 09:13 PM

Glad you figured out what it was and fingers crossed this is the last issue, so you can (finally) start enjoying the car!

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys
Im gonna order an acdelco pump

I read I need a "spanner wrench"
do I need that? if so what is it? can I rent it somewhere?
thanks

update: new acdelco pump arrived, heading to buddies place today to install it. he wants to trace fuel line also.
Actually if you turn the key to "on" wait for the dash lights to go out, it starts better than before, but the auto guys at searts smelled fuel and said it had a fuel leak
daughter pulled into the dway after about 15-20 min drive across town, wife and I were cleaning garage and wife said "what smells like gasoline"
I told her that was the leak in the pump.

Last edited by TurtleT; 09-06-2016 at 10:43 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

ok good news bad news
installed new pump..about 3 hrs. some trial and error
car started up, no visible fuel leaking.

bad news gas is reading zero, gas light is on, display says low fuel
check engine light is on...

mpg went up from 21.7 to 22.1 on my 30 mile drive home

any ideas
thanks
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 07:25 PM
Old far...er...tinkerer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleT View Post
ok good news bad news
installed new pump..about 3 hrs. some trial and error
car started up, no visible fuel leaking.

bad news gas is reading zero, gas light is on, display says low fuel
check engine light is on...

mpg went up from 21.7 to 22.1 on my 30 mile drive home

any ideas
thanks
You need to get the codes scanned. It appears you didn't get everything hooked up correctly, in particular, the fuel level sensor.

But, it's kinda hard to do that - the connectors won't allow you to cross-connect them. Given that, check the fuses to be sure you don't have one out for the fuel level sensor.

As I recall, there were two electrical connectors - one for the fuel pump and one for the level sensor. There mighta been a third one for the evap recovery - not sure. What did you see?

Doug

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

code p0463
fuel level sensor a
circuit high input

possible the hose inside is interfering with float
or float is bad
I could put old float on new assembly.. both acdelco

the old pump had a fuel leak. sensor was fine

im gonna have to have daughter drive it for awhile, ptobably next week before we can do it again

took us 3 hrs with trial and error. we could do it in 2 next time
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:34 AM

Quote:
code p0463
fuel level sensor a
circuit high input

possible the hose inside is interfering with float
or float is bad
I could put old float on new assembly.. both acdelco

the old pump had a fuel leak. sensor was fine

im gonna have to have daughter drive it for awhile, ptobably next week before we can do it again

took us 3 hrs with trial and error. we could do it in 2 next time
Looking in my manual, I saw there is an extension on one of the wire harnesses. It connects on the side of the tank. Make sure you have that part hooked back up.

It'd be nice if you didn't have to drop the tank again

Doug

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

FINAL CHAPTER
it works
but....
so we dropped the tank in no time, experienced now
took out the pump. noticed the two little metal tabs on the swing arm. one was busted off the other was bent backward
the arm dropped too low and when it went up it broke the tabs.
so we took off the old swing arm put it on the new pump. I realized I couldn't let it drop so I wired it to a tube when I installed it then took off the wire after putting itin the tank
sealed the tank.
when my buddy was removing tank he broke the plastic tee on the hose. so he fixed it with some putty. while we were waiting for it to dry, we got to looking at the old pump.
there is a plastic tab that keeps the arm from swinging too low.
we realized there was a problem with the new pump. soo we took the pump out again. the plastic tab that is supposed to keep the swing arm from lowering too far was busted.
so we took the part off the old pump..put it on the new pump. now one of the tabs had bent again..but we were able to straighten it.
put the pump again again, third time overall. sealed the tank. put the tank in, made connections, started the car. first time hard to start no gas. second time car started gas gauge went up to 1/4 tank. messenger read "range 121"
buddy cleared the check engine light wit hwas "bad fuel sensor"
I drove it home..no problems...watched the gas gauge..watched the range drop from 121 to 99.
hopefully that's the last of my problems
I love the car.
thanks for all the advice, help.
plano_doug and Gregorich like this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
FINAL CHAPTER
it works....

(snip)

I love the car.
thanks for all the advice, help.
Thanks for the update. And congrats on getting it all sorted out.

Doug

Last edited by plano_doug; 09-21-2016 at 01:24 PM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 12:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
Glad to hear you got it all figured out... Hopefully that's it.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.