2007 G6 3.5L transmission fluid check issue - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
BTE

2007 G6 3.5L transmission fluid check issue

Working on a 2007 3.5L G6 auto. The transmission cooler lines were rusted and leaking. A quart of fluid was added because the transmission "felt weird". I don't know how long it'd been leaking before this quart was added (family member's car), but I assume it was leaking for a while. A few days later, I changed the rusted lines. I looked around to see if the fluid check method was the normal GM procedure, and it seems like it is, but correct me if I'm wrong here -

vehicle to/near operating temp
with car level, engine running, run through the gears, then remove the check plug
add fluid through fill port until fluid seeps from check plug hole

The issue is that when I did this, fluid came flooding out of the hole. I don't know much I lost, but it was a good 4-5 seconds before I was able to get back to the keys to shut the engine off.

I added some fluid I had sitting around, and this time just cracked the plug open instead of taking it out, and fluid was still steady seeping out. I shut the motor down, and let the "excess" continue to seep out until it stopped. I drove the car down the street, and it felt fine, but when I drove it again a bit later, cold, it slipped for a bit, then drove normally 5 minutes later. I assume the fluid level is not correct.

Am I checking the fluid level correctly? I want to get this thing out of my garage, but I just can't seem to figure out how to properly check the level to get it sorted.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 08:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
If the fluids leaking out of the plug hole there is too much in there.
So from empty, pull plug, then fill until fluid pours out of plug hole.
put in plug, run engine to regular temp, cycle through gears, and while engine is still running, pull the plug...at that point there should be nothing coming out. Then start filling through top until fluid pours out of plug hole. then cap both and you're done.

So it sounds like there was too much fluid in there to begin with, and you just need to drain out the excess.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
BTE

That was my thought as well, but if it were leaking for potentially weeks, and only a quart was added, I wouldn't expect fluid to come out of the plug hole like a dam let loose.

I'll put the car up on stands later, let it get warm, run through the gears, and crack open the plug again. I don't want to take it out entirely from fear of having to clean a ton of fluid off of my floor again, but I'll let it seep out again and see if it eventually stops.

Thanks for the reply.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
BTE

Update:

Did this again, and with the plug out, the fluid was "spurting" out, like it was pressurized. Eventually, it slowed down to a drip, so I thought maybe it leveled off. Plugged it back up, shut the engine off, took it off the stands, went to back it out of the garage, and it was revving to ~2.5k RPM before engaging and moving.

I pulled it back in today, let it warm up a bit, pulled the plug, and it was spurting again.

Any idea what would cause this to act pressurized like this? I assume the fluid is still too low/high, but with it acting like this I have no idea how to proceed.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
BTE

Welp, I'm a dummy. I thought the check plug for the fill level was the plug on the "front" of the case, right near the trans cooler lines. That's incorrect. That port is for internal pressure testing (which would explain the pulsing bursts of fluid I suppose ) The correct port is near the passenger axle. I had to add a bunch of fluid, but I got it sorted and driving/shifting normally.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 11:01 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
...Glad you got it figured out.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.