Putting a rear main seal in my 3.5 G6 (LZ4) - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Old far...er...tinkerer..

Putting a rear main seal in my 3.5 G6 (LZ4)

Putting a rear main seal in my 3.5 G6 (LZ4)

Hi, I need to put a rear seal in my 2007 Pontiac G6 with the 3.5 liter LZ4.

Has anyone here done this repair? Can you share your thoughts / comments?

The repair manual calls for two special tools:
EN 48672 Rear Main Seal Removal Tool
EN 48108 Rear Main Seal Installation Tool

It also calls for a special lube:
J 23444-A Extreme Pressure Lubricant

Searching for the tools, all I can find are new ones, which are close to 800 bucks for the pair ! Ouch !! And no luck on loaners (thus far) at the parts stores.

As for the rest of the project, I feel pretty good. I've done a couple tranny swaps on my gen 7 Impalas, so I'm not too concerned about pulling the transmission on the G6, but the uncertainty of removing and installing the rear seal has me worried, so I'm wondering what tools and techniques others may have used to do this. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Doug

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 10:57 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
Ive changed mine before. same year / engine. When I was at that point I had a couple leaks so I pulled my engine out, to change it. But I didn't use any of those tools. All I used was a basic seal remover and a mallet to install.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Old far...er...tinkerer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowler76 View Post
Ive changed mine before. same year / engine. When I was at that point I had a couple leaks so I pulled my engine out, to change it. But I didn't use any of those tools. All I used was a basic seal remover and a mallet to install.
(snip pic)
Thanks for your reply - it was encouraging. Still, it's taken me over a month to start this project

I got quite a bit of stuff torn away in preparation of dropping the transmission, but I decided to have another look at the flywheel area to be sure that it's the rear seal. And now I'm having second thoughts.

I replaced the oil pan gasket months ago, but that didn't stop the leaking. I eventually took it to a GM dealer, and they diagnosed it as rear seal, and wanted 2500 bucks !! to replace it.

I don't want to pick on them, but I think they were wrong. The flywheel is as dry as a bone. I removed the starter and the plastic cover next to it so I could inspect, and I don't see any oil on the flywheel. Surely if the rear seal was leaking, there would be some sign of oil in that area, no?

Anyway, at this point, I'm thinking I should replace the oil pan. I can get a Spectra Premium pan for 100 bucks at the parts store.

But before I do, I'd like to get some feedback here. Are these cast aluminum pans prone to leaking without obvious holes in them? That is, when I had the pan off a while back, I inspected it, but didn't see any obvious cracks. OTOH, the rough finish of the material could easily be hiding some cracks or pores. I see oil collecting at both ends of the pan. Could it be leaking at the mounting bolts on the bottom (where the various braces are attached)?

Is there any way the rear seal could be leaking without getting oil on the flywheel?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Doug

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.