Popping in strut - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Popping in strut

I replaced my strut after I bent it inward from hitting a rock and bending my rim in 3 different places... but now that i have it installed when I turn it makes a sound like the spring is popping. I know its coming from the spring because when I turn the spring turns and you can see it get held up for a second then move back into place and make the noise. Sometimes the car will pull to the left or right after this happens. Anyone know how to fix it?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 06:36 AM
Old far...er...tinkerer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds1029 View Post
I replaced my strut after I bent it inward from hitting a rock and bending my rim in 3 different places... but now that i have it installed when I turn it makes a sound like the spring is popping. I know its coming from the spring because when I turn the spring turns and you can see it get held up for a second then move back into place and make the noise. Sometimes the car will pull to the left or right after this happens. Anyone know how to fix it?

When you see the spring turn, is it moving at the top or bottom of the spring?

I suspect the strut mount (at top) is bad - they can get damaged in an accident such as yours.

Doug

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

S

Last edited by Reynolds1029; 12-31-2016 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Forgot to quote

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plano_doug View Post
When you see the spring turn, is it moving at the top or bottom of the spring?

I suspect the strut mount (at top) is bad - they can get damaged in an accident such as yours.

Doug

The bottom is moving and popping I will double check later. I thought the spring was supposed to rotate in the strut when you steer though

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:45 AM
Old far...er...tinkerer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds1029 View Post
The bottom is moving and popping I will double check later. I thought the spring was supposed to rotate in the strut when you steer though.
Almost the entire strut should move together when the steering wheel is turned. So the spring should remain in the same relative position with respect to the strut.

The only part of the strut that does not turn is strut mount, the upper portion bolted to the shock tower. There is a bearing in it which allows the strut below it to turn while the mount remains stationary.

If the spring is trying to turn relative to the strut, then it appears the bearing in the strut mount is sticking - the strut mount may need to be replaced.

After the car had been run up on a curb, my son's 02 Impala needed a control arm and an inner tie rod (and a wheel). Later, we realized it needed a strut mount as well - it was popping, and STICKING, which is frightful when you're steering the car.

Doug

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.