Oil Leak - Pontiac G6 Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By crose319
  • 1 Post By gapotts
  • 1 Post By plano_doug
  • 1 Post By crose319
  • 1 Post By plano_doug
  • 1 Post By crose319
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 5
 
Oil Leak

Hi Everyone. Let me begin by saying that, when it comes to cars, I am an amateur in every sense of the word. In fact, I'm an English teacher. But I'm kind of a cheapskate and I love a challenge, so whenever my car breaks, I try to fix it myself. I have an 07 G6, 2.4 L. To give you an idea of the ceiling of my mechanical aptitude, I've done brakes, alternator, starter, plugs, camshaft sensors, tie rods, and a cv axle on this vehicle. Please understand that each of these jobs took entire weekends sometimes, and required multiple trips back and forth to YouTube and this forum, and caused bloody knuckles, severe irritability, an angry wife, broken tools, and even banging on the door at Advance Auto three minutes after they closed because they sold me the wrong something or other because I misdiagnosed the problem. Needless to say, I'm not a natural.

Having said all of that (sorry for the long intro), I have an oil leak and I cannot tell where it is coming from. Because of spray, I'm guessing, there's oil all over the underside of the car. When I recently replaced a serpentine belt, I noticed it. The oil residue appears to be heaver on the belt side, but it goes so far as the filter housing on the other side. What is the best way to diagnose such a leak? I have just a small jack and stands, so I can't really get under the car to look around easily. I appreciate any thoughts and, for the seasoned mechanics, I apologize. I have read the tone of some posts on this forum, and, while I have benefited from many posts on this forum, I know there are even trolls and dismissive experts here, and I fully expect some brush back. It's okay. I know you'll want to ridicule my lack of experience and tell me to take it to a garage, and I know you're right. It's the right thing to do. But I am poor as hell and I have mouths to feed.I appreciate any comments.
07PontiacG6 likes this.
crose319 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:02 AM
Senior Member
 
gapotts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 112
 
Clean the oil off first? Then get some ramps and chocks so you can safely get under there without getting crushed?

The oil filter adapter gasket is notoriously bad on our cars consider changing that. Maybe the oil filter sending unit leaks? Make sure the oil drain bolt and filter are snug but not over tightened.
Trevor likes this.

2008 G6 Dark Gray Metallic SE V6
gapotts is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 5
 
Thanks GAPotts,

Replaced the oil filter housing, but the leak is obviously coming from the other side of the engine. I went to the part store today and bought a valve cover gasket and a crankshaft seal. I figure I'll just replace everything I can, since the car has 175,000 miles. I inquired about an oil pan gasket and they told me that it is an OEM part, and is no longer available. They suggested using a tube of silicone sealant. Does this sound wise?

They also suggested, while I have everything apart, replacing the intake manifold gasket. What do you think about that idea?

Thanks again for your help.
Corey
crose319 is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 10:21 AM
Old far...er...tinkerer..
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 255
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crose319 View Post
Thanks GAPotts,

Replaced the oil filter housing, but the leak is obviously coming from the other side of the engine. I went to the part store today and bought a valve cover gasket and a crankshaft seal. I figure I'll just replace everything I can, since the car has 175,000 miles. I inquired about an oil pan gasket and they told me that it is an OEM part, and is no longer available. They suggested using a tube of silicone sealant. Does this sound wise?

They also suggested, while I have everything apart, replacing the intake manifold gasket. What do you think about that idea?

Thanks again for your help.
Corey
Are you going to replace the front crankshaft seal or rear ? Dropping the tranny is a PITA !

As for the oil pan gasket for the 2.4, I looked around on the web at several places and got no hits. I did see a mention on gmpartsgiant.com to use RTV.

https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts-l...Filter=(e=LE5)

For the oil pan (p/n: 12601240) , it has this note:
PAN, Engine Oil
PAN,OIL(INCLUDES 402,902-907)(NO GASKET
SERVICED, USE ROOM TEMPERATURE
VULCANIZING SEALANT 12378521)
I don't know if that is a suggested replacement for the gasket, or if RTV is what was used at the factory in the beginning.

I suggest going to a dealer parts counter for two things. See if they can identify a part number for a gasket. Or if they can verify that no gasket was used, confirming that RTV is the preferred method.

If there is a p/n, see if they can find one - I think they can see inventory all over the country, so it shouldn't take but a moment. If they have a p/n but get no hits, search that p/n on eBay and Amazon.

That is, if I was in your situation, that would be my game plan.

HTH.

[Follow-up] Before posting, I did one last check - Autozone's website shows 6 different ones for this motor. You would need to order it in-store, but the page seems to indicate the parts are in stock somewhere.

http://www.autozone.com/engine/engin...eVehicle=false

BTW, FWIW, searching Oreilly's website for the gasket returns a hit on RTV, so other vendors are saying the same thing your parts guy said.

List: Oil Pan Gasket Set - 2007 Pontiac G6 | O'Reilly Auto Parts


Doug

.
07PontiacG6 likes this.

Last edited by plano_doug; 02-09-2017 at 08:26 PM.
plano_doug is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 5
 
Wow. Thanks for all the help, Doug. I have my work cut out for me. To answer your question, I was going to replace only the front crankshaft seal, as it is relatively easy to get at and it may be the source of my leak.
07PontiacG6 likes this.
crose319 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 08:21 PM
Old far...er...tinkerer..
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 255
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crose319 View Post
Wow. Thanks for all the help, Doug.
I hope it works out well. Let us know how it turns out.

Quote:
Hi Everyone. Let me begin by saying that, when it comes to cars, I am an amateur in every sense of the word. In fact, I'm an English teacher. But I'm kind of a cheapskate and I love a challenge, so whenever my car breaks, I try to fix it myself. I have an 07 G6, 2.4 L. To give you an idea of the ceiling of my mechanical aptitude, I've done brakes, alternator, starter, plugs, camshaft sensors, tie rods, and a cv axle on this vehicle. Please understand that each of these jobs took entire weekends sometimes, and required multiple trips back and forth to YouTube and this forum, and caused bloody knuckles, severe irritability, an angry wife, broken tools, and even banging on the door at Advance Auto three minutes after they closed because they sold me the wrong something or other because I misdiagnosed the problem. Needless to say, I'm not a natural.
That sounds like my early, big car projects. Struts took all weekend, and, despite lots of research in advance, I still had to make multiple tool and parts runs.

But I think that's how folks morph into car guys and car gals. You find some part of the challenge intriguing, and then you get a boost when the project is accomplished. At least, I try to remind myself that I'll feel good after it's finished. And I try to chant that mantra when I'm feeling like throwing a wrench thru the windshield

Make sure you use wheel chocks and jack stands - safety first.

Doug

.
07PontiacG6 likes this.

Last edited by plano_doug; 02-09-2017 at 08:32 PM.
plano_doug is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:23 PM
Junior Member
 
07PontiacG6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Collin County
Posts: 5
 
Following. Swapped out a few things in the front end yesterday and today(brake pads, rotors, Hubs, shock & Strut, sway bar link) on my 07 G6 3.5L Coupe and saw EVEN more saturation than I initially saw from the top. I too, have the seeping oil filter neck issue. I bought a new cap, neck and gasket on E bay for super cheap out of a GM retailer in AZ. Will be putting new cap and neck on tomorrow during the daylight.

-TJ
07PontiacG6 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 5
 
Doug,

I wanted to say thanks again for your help last week! I think I was pretty successful in my repair attempts to stop my oil leak. We drove the car all over the state of Florida for the holiday weekend and the oil level seems stable. Nor do I see any new spots on the driveway. One thing the Chilton's manual doesn't advise about is removing the water pump bolt from the timing cover panel. The bolt is too long and there is simply not enough space between the panel and the car's frame. One has to either bend the bolt or drill a hole in the frame. I bent the bolt and bought a new one. Hopefully bending it didn't screw up the pump in any way. Everything seems to be okay.

Best,
Corey
plano_doug likes this.
crose319 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07PontiacG6 View Post
Following. Swapped out a few things in the front end yesterday and today(brake pads, rotors, Hubs, shock & Strut, sway bar link) on my 07 G6 3.5L Coupe and saw EVEN more saturation than I initially saw from the top. I too, have the seeping oil filter neck issue. I bought a new cap, neck and gasket on E bay for super cheap out of a GM retailer in AZ. Will be putting new cap and neck on tomorrow during the daylight.

I had the filter housing leak issue in the past (although it think the filter housing on the 2.4 L is set up much differently from the 3.5 L), but my major problem this time was the timing cover panel gasket. The rubber had essentially broken down all the way around the seal.
crose319 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil leak G6v684 Problems and Solutions 3 10-27-2013 07:07 PM
Oil Pump Drive oil leak G6 3.5 V6 praxos Problems and Solutions 0 09-13-2013 11:58 AM
Oil Leak happiocupcakeo Problems and Solutions 9 11-16-2012 06:04 PM
Oil Leak!!!!! lamonetaylor Problems and Solutions 7 10-12-2011 11:10 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome