Being outsmarted by my car key - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Being outsmarted by my car key

Hello fellow g6 owners. i own a 2006 g6 gtp. 3.9l. I recently broke the key off in the drivers side door. (not on purpose). it was my only key. I went to a dealer and bought a new key im not sure if it has a chip or not. anyway, i am trying to reprogram the key, i have tried the generic turn the key to on and wait 10 mins 3x or whatever. my security light does not turn off when i do this, and it blinks the entire time. not sure what i am doing wrong. the car will start for a second but turns right back off, now it will only click, i believe the battery is dead. i also reset the battery and retried the key but it still didnt work. i dont have the money right now to take it to the shop. anyone humor me with some help, that would be great. i got a date tomorrow and i wanna show her the beauty of the g6. thanks in advance!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 07:38 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
your replacement key has to have the chip or it wont start your car.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 10:13 PM

You can purchase an equivalent key with resistor on eBay then have a locksmith cut it for you to match what the dealer gave you (going to assume it's the correct key). Not sure why your key doesn't work if you got it from the dealer.

2008 G6 Dark Gray Metallic SE V6

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06GTPCasey View Post
Hello fellow g6 owners. i own a 2006 g6 gtp. 3.9l. I recently broke the key off in the drivers side door. (not on purpose). it was my only key. I went to a dealer and bought a new key im not sure if it has a chip or not. anyway, i am trying to reprogram the key, i have tried the generic turn the key to on and wait 10 mins 3x or whatever. my security light does not turn off when i do this, and it blinks the entire time. not sure what i am doing wrong. the car will start for a second but turns right back off, now it will only click, i believe the battery is dead. i also reset the battery and retried the key but it still didnt work. i dont have the money right now to take it to the shop. anyone humor me with some help, that would be great. i got a date tomorrow and i wanna show her the beauty of the g6. thanks in advance!!!!
The transponder keys have a + stamped in them next to the back part of the key. If it does not have one it will not program.

Do you still have the back part of the original key that you broke? If so you should be able to hold it next to the new key and start the car. It only has to be close to the ignition cylinder to work. You would of course want to get your replacement key programmed eventually but this method should get you going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.