Tiptronic/Manual Mode Will Not Engage - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Tiptronic/Manual Mode Will Not Engage

Hey all,
My car shifts perfectly fine in Drive. However, when I shift into manual (tiptronic) mode, I don't even get the gear number appearing on my dashboard. Pushing the gear selector also does not change gears. Any ideas? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:50 PM

What have you been playing with? Sounds like there's a config on the car which makes it think there is no tiptronic. Replace any modules recently?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:19 PM

Recently I changed out a switch on the shifter, as intermittently could not tapshift.
There are two (actually 3), switches in the top of the shifter, push to the side actuates a switch that 'tells' the car it is in tap shift, then the upshift downshift switches front and back.
I'd have to guess that first switch isn't telling the car it's tapshifft time.
I didn't want to replace the whole shifter, just the switch. I purchased a whole shifter assm eBay, then practiced on that to figure how take apart just what I needed and replace it. I had to pull the console, but it wasn't that bad.
Again, this is just my guess on your issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

I have not played with much of anything. Just bought the car a few weeks ago.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez26 View Post
Recently I changed out a switch on the shifter, as intermittently could not tapshift.
There are two (actually 3), switches in the top of the shifter, push to the side actuates a switch that 'tells' the car it is in tap shift, then the upshift downshift switches front and back.
I'd have to guess that first switch isn't telling the car it's tapshifft time.
I didn't want to replace the whole shifter, just the switch. I purchased a whole shifter assm eBay, then practiced on that to figure how take apart just what I needed and replace it. I had to pull the console, but it wasn't that bad.
Again, this is just my guess on your issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any idea where I can purchase the switches? Can they be replaced from the interior or does the trans need to be dropped?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.