G6 "Engine Power Reduced" Message - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

G6 "Engine Power Reduced" Message

I have a 2010 G6 with the 2.4L motor. My car is randomly having this weird engine power reduced issue, it usually happens after I have been sitting in park for a few minutes, or at a red light, but has also happened when I go to start my car in the morning. Happens about once every 2-3 weeks right now. The only way I have found to fix it is to shut the car off and back on a few times. Sometimes I get a check engine light after, but if I shut the car off and on again it goes away, I had the code chekced once and I forgot to write down the actual code, but it was related to the throttle control or sensor. Basically the message comes on, the engine feels like it has no gas or power and shakes really badly, usually I can pull off the road, or into a parking spot, luckily it hasn't happened at anything over 5-10mph.

I don't know if it's related or not, but back in August I took my car in for an oil change, somehow they accidentally cut a wire in the engine bay, when I started my car after the oil change the engine "Engine Power Reduced" message was displayed with the same rumbling rough motor issue. I shut it off, went back in and they pushed it back into the bay, and found a small wire that was cut when he was wrenching. They used a heat shrink thing and electrical tape and repaired the wire. Here's the area with wire they fixed: http://i.imgur.com/IPJvcC0.jpg

After they fixed the wire, everything seemed fine, until about a month or two later and it gave me the same power reduced message. This time it was right after using one of those gas treatment things from AUtoZone, again no idea if that was related somehow.

Since then it's happened a few times, usually at low speeds, or while idling at a red light. One or two times I have gone out in the morning and it won't start right away, I get the message, turn it off, wait a minute, and it's fine turning back on.

I feel like it could be related to the wiring, but I honestly have no idea. Any other ideas besides the wiring that could be causing the issue? I can't really recreate the issue for mechanics since it's random, so it's been hard to diagnose.

Last edited by AZJR; 03-01-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

I found this thread: 07 G6 "Reduced Engine Power"

They're suggesting throttle actuator control could be the problem, but that thread is from 2009. Some users suggested a new wiring harness, which I am thinking might be the same group of wires?

I posted about this same issue back in November, the suggestions were to clean my Throttle Body and MAF which I have done but still having the same problems.

Last edited by AZJR; 03-01-2017 at 01:22 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 08:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
the car goes into that "reduced power mode" to help protect itself when it senses somethings wrong. Your best bet is to find out what that CEL code is. Then at least you'll have somewhere to start.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

I found the codes, I forgot I had put them in my Google Keep.

P2135 - throttle/pedal position sensor/switch A/B voltage correlation
C0242 - Powertrain Control Module Indicated Traction Control System Malfunction

The CEL light goes off the next time I start the car after having the issue. I just went through emissions yesterday with no CEL luckily.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

The car just died going 75 on the freeway, same reduced engine power message. I was able to safely exit the highway, all it would do is cost, it won't let me accelerate or anything. I pulled off, turned it off, waited a few, and it came right back on. I took it to Autozone, shut the car off, went inside, got a scanner, but when I came back out and turned it on, the codes were gone by then. I would have left it running, but didn't want to risk someone hopping in and driving off while I was in line.

Any ideas? With this kind of saftey hazard I am almost ready to just trade it in or something, I don't feel safe driving my family around in it.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

The car "died" again last night, that's twice in a week, so it's more frequent now. Threw up the P2135 code.

So I read through several threads here and on other GM forum, from what I can tell it cold be one of these issues:

Corroded Battery Cables
Cut/Bad Wire
TPS Sensor (New TB?)
Pedal Sensor

So should I just take it to a mechanic, or the dealership, to get it diagnosed and go from there?

EDIT - I found this guide on Reddit, so I will try this out first: http://i.imgur.com/EJka3vd.jpg
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 07:43 AM

Corroded or loose battery cables seem to be a big problem with g6. definitely start there. I usually hear of the ground cable being loose or disconnected.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

I pulled back the tape, and while I originally thought it was only 1 wire cut, it was the entire group that leads to the TB, every single wire was heatshrinked. I dropped it off at a mechanic this morning.

Negative/ground cables looked good, no corrosion or junk on the terminals.

Any ideas on the labor/cost to replace the entire wiring set?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

I dropped it at a mechanic on Thursday, they did several tests and test drives, and it's showing absolutely no issues. The car is not dying for them, but I have a feeling it's due to the short number of miles/drives they did, which I mean I can't blame them, they're not getting paid to test drive cars all day.

So now I have no idea what to do, I am picking up the car tonight. Do I try another mechanic? Do I start replacing stuff?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:23 AM

out of curiosity..when you looked at the ground battery cable did you follow it until it got to the other end? and did they take care of the wires that were cut?

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowler76 View Post
out of curiosity..when you looked at the ground battery cable did you follow it until it got to the other end? and did they take care of the wires that were cut?
They said the cut wires were repaired well, and did not see any issues. I will check the ground cable here soon on lunch in about an hour, I am picking up a volt meter to do a voltage drop test myself and I just grabbed a bluetooth OBD reader that supposedly lets me monitor voltages as well so that might help. Thanks for your help! I will update soon.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

I followed the ground, it comes off the battery and splits, one goes to the engine block, and the other comes up the front near the driver side headlight. I don't see any breaks or corrosion, it's somewhat hard to see the one that goes to the block since there is other tubes/wires in the way.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

I did a voltage drop test, all the results are in the normal range.

I did notice a weird issue in my fuse box, fuses 55 and 57 are empty, is it supposed to be empty?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4...G0xbUZNZ2Zmb1k
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Any ideas on the fuses? Are they supposed to be empty?

The car has been driving great so far, no limp mode in ~2 weeks. I am running a OBD scanner to monitor voltages and everything as of today.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Update: Took it to the dealership this morning, they said that even though the wires were repaired, they were getting high resistance and was most likely causing some of the issues, I went ahead and replaced the TB as well since it all has a warranty now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.