Emissions learn cycle ODB2 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Emissions learn cycle ODB2

2006 Pontiac G6 3.9 V6 79k mi.

So I like an idiot worked on my car right before emissions time - handled a coolant leak that had escalated from minor to moderate.... and like a bigger idiot I did the normal mechanic rules. Disconnect the battery before you do any major work (i.e. remove the serp belt to get to the water pump).

Most of you are chuckling softly and saying I know what is coming.

Failed emissions: "3 sensors 'not ready' "

No worries, I am smart.. Just google the answer... um are you F-ing kidding me:

General Motors Driving Cycle

Where the hell am I supposed to find a stretch of road I can go 55mph and 20mph on the same road without getting a big fat ticket for either speeding or impeding traffic and I wont have to touch my brakes due to traffic.

So here' the question: "Does this proceedure work on jackstands?" Can I put my car up on blocks, put it in drive, and just risk that it doesn't fall off the jacks? I assume my coast will be like forever since no resistance or nothing since the engine resistance will drag it down quick with no inertia keeping it moving.

I googled and googled and this seems to actually really be the real procedure, no joke - even posted here in another thread as the solution.
The other option "just drive it and pray you hit the criteria accidentally" isn't exactly a real answer for me either. I work from home - it will take me 3 months to get miles enough to register (over the last week I got 4.0 mi and that includes 3.0 to the emissions place and stop by the grocery store on the way back).

If anyone has more specific (i.e. you don't have to have 5 full minutes, 10 seconds is enough - the rest is bullshit gm info, 20mph is not necessary just 700 rpm, etc - cut past the perscribed proceedure with error margin fluff and get to the actual requirements, or specific to the 3.9 actual needs...) Please please this is insane, there is no way to realistically follow that proceedure GM specifies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 08:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
I just went through the same thing, drove around for two weeks and couldn't get the damn car ready to test. I ended up driving late night on a very empty road and did the 55 to 20 a few times, then took a long drive. the next day I hooked up my scanner and it was finally ready.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 04:06 PM

I changed the evap vent valve right before and my scan tool kept saying not ready all but 1 after three days was ready and it passed. After clearing codes I went to get gas and took a 15 minute drive then all but 2 were ready just kept check with my code reader.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Just to close this thread out and provide some feedback for others going through the same.

After failing, Texas grants you an automatic 15 day grace to get it to pass again... Not wanting to risk falling off the jack stands I opted to just drive the hell out of it and hope, on the 15th day if nothing else *then* put it up on the jacks.

I ran every errand I could figure, my garage is spotless from hauling off recycling, etc. I then tried as best I could to get the cycle while driving unnecessary errands (stuff that should have waited till later or I would have combined to save gas). Still not ready. So I drove extra unnecessary shit all over... finally I got every sensor ready except the evap, which you are allowed one not ready (because the gov recognized it is almost impossible to get the evap ready) - took it in, passed, done, screw the emissions hoops BS.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:48 AM

wait...you're allowed to have one sensor not ready??

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Straight from the TX gov:
https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/Mis...t.htm#Changing

"For vehicles year model 2001 and newer, we allow one (1) non-continuous monitor to be Not Ready and still pass the test, but two (2) or more Not Ready's will cause the vehicle to fail.
For vehicles year model 1996 – 2000, we allow two (2) non-continuous monitors to be Not Ready and still pass the test, but three (3) or more Not Ready's will cause the vehicle to fail."

So if you have a ford or chevy with 9 monitors, 8 have to be ready if you have a brand new german car with 100 sensors, 99 have to be ready - how stupid is that..... "1 not ready" is a stupid criteria. My old '95 only had 2 sensors - so "none" ready would have passed.

Seems that every state has very similar laws - I read somewhere that the automakers lobbied to allow 1 not ready because typically the evap never will click to ready unless you are in a lab environment.

FWIW, here's a non state specific page that still doesn't make sense of it...
OBD II : Failed smog check for incomplete readiness monitors | JUST SMOGS®
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:38 AM

Hmm... wonder what the law is in NV. Im gonna have to look into that.
thanks

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain75 View Post
Straight from the TX gov:
https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/Mis...t.htm#Changing

...So if you have a ford or chevy with 9 monitors, 8 have to be ready if you have a brand new german car with 100 sensors, 99 have to be ready - how stupid is that..... "1 not ready" is a stupid criteria. My old '95 only had 2 sensors - so "none" ready would have passed...
OK, Brain75 is overthinking monitors.

When we refer to monitors, we're referring to the software processes in the ECU (PCM, etc) that are monitoring (testing) emissions control functions on 1996 and newer OBDII certified vehicles. The following systems are monitored:

Fuel management,
Misfires,
Comprehensive components (Opens and shorts, etc),
EGR,
O2 sensors,
O2 heaters,
Secondary air injection,
Evap,
Catalysts

Add or subtract as necessary, but it comes down to no more than about nine monitors on even the most complex system. In theory, there can also be an AC monitor, and a heated catalyst monitor, but I can't say that I've ever seen either.

A monitor should not be confused with sensor, nor does each sensor have its own monitor. For example, there is no crankshaft position sensor monitor, or throttle position sensor monitor. A fault with one of those sensors might be detected by the comprehensive component monitor.

Brain75, your old '95 has less to do with any of this than your German car's '99 sensors'. While some 1995 and older vehicles have elements of OBD II, the mandate did not go into effect until the 1996 model year. As far as I know, no emissions testing program is testing monitors on 1995 or older vehicles. Definitely not California.

I can also assure you that your old '95 came equipped with more than two sensors. Off the top of my head, I'd guess MAF, TPS, ECT, IAT, CKP, CMP, O2, maybe a MAP sensor, and probably more.

In California (Btw, everything at justsmogs.com should be considered specific to California):

Model year 2000 and newer gasoline powered vehicles (Including hybrids), all monitors, with the exception of the evap monitor, must be complete. In other words, you can pass with an incomplete evap monitor, but everything else must be complete.

Model year 1999 and older gasoline powered vehicles you can pass with any one monitor incomplete (Doesn't matter which one), but no more than one incomplete monitor. This even applies to a 99 sensor German car and a two sensor Chevy.

All monitors must be complete on model year 1998 - 2006 diesels.

Model year 2007 and newer diesels are allowed two incomplete monitors. Any two, so mix and match.

That said, if any of the above monitors detects a problem with any sensor (Doesn't matter if there are 99 or two), a diagnostic trouble code will eventually be triggered (P0xxx, P1xxx, etc), the check engine light (MIL, service engine soon, etc) will come on, and the vehicle will not pass a smog inspection in the State of California (Probably not anywhere else) until the issue is repaired and the monitors are once again run to completion.

Hopefully that all makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.