Convertible Top back shelf wing doesn't work - Pontiac G6 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By davez26

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Convertible Top back shelf wing doesn't work

Wondering if anyone has a manual that will show me how these function. The "wing" on the driver's side that folds in and out behind the back shelf has quit working. We can manually move it so the top still goes up and down, but I can't find anything broken or unhooked. If anyone has a good manual or advice they can refer me to would be appreciated. It's a 2007 G6 GT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:52 PM

My 2008 has the same issue. Mine became an issue when I heard a crunch. The driver's wing hung up just a tiny bit and the roof pressed down on it. It snapped a tiny plastic piece on the back of the wing. From searches I've done it looks to be about $500+ to replace that whole back deck (left/right wing and center piece).

Until I get a hold of one, I hold the wing in place when I put the top down (long arms).
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:47 PM

Pattonism, the left and the right side are mirror images of each other. From what you are describing, it sounds as if the cable is broken, it attaches about 1/2 way under the back deck and the attaching end is usually a brass color loop on a torx head anchor that lies perpendicular to the car. The cable goes into a metal 'noodle', then into a housing that terminates at the wing itself. When the deck shelf raises, the cable is pulled and brings the wing in.
I've had the driver cable break twice, seems like if anything will go wrong, this is it.
After you get a fresh one, keep it lubed up, along with the mechanism.
As for replacement parts, cables I believe are still dealer available, if not eBay.
For a replacement shelf, eBay seems the answer unless you are close to a major city with a good salvage yard. When I was looking for one, my strategy was to search for 'G6 convertible' parts, and if they had a picture of the car, I'd ask about a shelf. If you are sweet as pie, you can score one. Remember, they are in the business of selling used parts, but some are not as much in demand, so they don't list them. If you are willing to buy, they will likely sell.
When buying, have them undo the six bolts from the body to the shelf, 3 per side, 10mm?, and undo the cables where they attach under the hinge as I noted above. Those take a small torx head. DO NOT let them cut the cables, you need those, and they are getting hard to find.
I am a little gun shy now, and I watch my top go up and down and keep an eye on the wings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
zenish likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave. It is the broken cable. Now I just have to find a replacement.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 06:13 PM

Part#s are 25906916 LH, 25906915 RH if memory serves.
(I can say that, as I am a Parts Manager by trade, no longer with GM though. We memorize stuff for a living, but always have to include the CYA). Search by those #'s eBay, confirm the text on hits you read that the one listed is the correct side + confirm picture if shown. If you see an illustration from the GM Parts Catalogue, don't be concerned, as they picture one cable, the listing are in the text matter. About $60.
You can attempt to install from underneath or you can install it with car running, wing up, roof partially up. DO NOT do this with key off, as you only have 30 seconds before close. Top will stay up with car running, I don't like doing that, but what other choice is there?
Instead, remove old cable, noting routing, wing end is held on with 2 clips, lift up the tab, and slide them off. install new in route w/o connecting loop end.
Connect loop last, do that with roof up, and go through trunk.
Lube the heck out of everything that moves. There is a lube listed in the manual, and another of my posts - 12346241. No substitutes, some posters noted plastic issues with others. Not worth the risk to me.
I hope that this helps!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited by davez26; 05-20-2017 at 08:19 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 03:44 PM
2007 gt retractable

i ordered the lube from amazon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.