Any 2006 G6's with problems out there? - Page 2 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 377 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willito View Post
Just bought my 2006 G6 Sedan a week ago. It's got 47,000 miles on it. I just started receiving this sticking / popping from my steering, especially at slow speeds. After reading some posts on here, I guess it's off to the dealership ASAP.....I hope this doesn't turn into something that drags on forever.
You'll find the steering noise is a common problem. On the wife's G6 its not bad and it didn't get any worse.

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 377 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 12:32 PM

I just put up with it, I hate spending time at the dealership waiting for them to tell me how big my bill is going to be.

Check out my 2005 Fusion Orange Metallic G6 GT at CarDomain.com
post #18 of 377 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 01:29 PM

I got the noise fixed by the dealership. They replaced the steering intermediate shaft. No cost under warranty. Problem solved for now.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT (3.5L V6)
2003 Chevrolet Impala LS (3.8L V6)
2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 (5.7L V8)
post #19 of 377 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 04:59 AM

It will come back to haunt you. I have brought mine back to the dealership repeatedly but after a while, the clunking sound in the steering column always came back. There is no permanent fix for this defect.
post #20 of 377 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslcom View Post
It will come back to haunt you. I have brought mine back to the dealership repeatedly but after a while, the clunking sound in the steering column always came back. There is no permanent fix for this defect.
Oh I know, my 03 Impala is plagued with this defect. I've replaced it a number of times. As long as it's under warranty I'll keep replacing it.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT (3.5L V6)
2003 Chevrolet Impala LS (3.8L V6)
2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 (5.7L V8)
post #21 of 377 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 08:20 AM

Send a message via MSN to bmk2010
i have a 2006 G6 with just over 78,000 miles on it. I bought it with 73,000 miles on it (i know, thats a lot of miles for a 2006) but, the only thing that I have done to it so far was put new brakes on. There is a rattling noise in the front drivers side corner which i should get checked... and the only other thing i can think of that has happened is one time i left the windows opened and it rained (=[) annd i think it like shorted out the air bag on the passengers side because the service air bag thing came up. However, once it got dried out and such it went away, but thats not really the manufactures fault that happened.
post #22 of 377 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 08:23 AM

Send a message via MSN to bmk2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by metlmangreg View Post
I have an 06 G6 GT with 33k on it, brake rotors, seatback releases both sides, right headlight peeled inside, blown rear speaker, a/c leak, passenger seat belt, and two chrome wheels peeling that the dealer won't make good. Is that enough?
sounds like you got a lemon son.
post #23 of 377 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:19 PM

I have a 2.4L with 80K miles, my catalytic converter needs work currently. I had problems with the rotors not long after i bought it used 5 months ago. Those are my issues so far.
post #24 of 377 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 08:32 AM

I have a 2006 G6. I was getting major vibration in the front when braking, so I had the rotors turned. Problem not solved...and actually got worse. I had to replace the front outer tie rods, and the problem went away. Not sure if anyone else has had to do this...seems like they should not have had to be changed that soon. Now I have a knocking in the back of my car and have no idea what it is. I hear it at slow speeds, but not when I brake.

Last edited by MrsM; 07-14-2008 at 08:37 AM.
post #25 of 377 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 08:42 AM
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsM View Post
I have a 2006 G6. I was getting major vibration in the front when braking, so I had the rotors turned. Problem not solved...and actually got worse. I had to replace the front outer tie rods, and the problem went away. Not sure if anyone else has had to do this...seems like they should not have had to be changed that soon. Now I have a knocking in the back of my car and have no idea what it is. I hear it at slow speeds, but not when I brake.
This sound kind of funny to me . Did you take your car to a shop or do the work yourself?

Mike
MODS;
post #26 of 377 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
This sound kind of funny to me . Did you take your car to a shop or do the work yourself?
I took it to a shop, who told me that the tie rods needed to be replaced...so I called my brother (who mechanics) and he did the work. Yes, they were bad. I was out there with him when he did the job, and I still have the old parts in the trunk of my car. I later told my brother about the knocking, but he was not sure what it could be (I do not live very close to him, so I cannot just bring it over to him on a whim).

It just scares me to have a knock and not know why or what needs to be replaced.
post #27 of 377 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsM View Post
Now I have a knocking in the back of my car and have no idea what it is. I hear it at slow speeds, but not when I brake.
Can you elaborate on the knocking?

Mike
MODS;
post #28 of 377 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
Can you elaborate on the knocking?

Yes. It is a loud knock, but not sharp (loud and dull if this makes sense). I hear it at low speeds, not when braking, and it is not always consistent (I may hear it consistently..knock, knock, knock, or I may hear a couple of knocks, then quiet a few seconds, and then a nother few knocks). Sometimes I do not hear it at all, and other times it is constant.
post #29 of 377 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 01:27 PM

Did you try taking out all your old parts from your trunk, that may stop the noises! [I'm just trying to be a smart ass so if you don't have a sense of humor, just ignore me.] Being serious though, have you checked your spare to see if it's loose?

Check out my 2005 Fusion Orange Metallic G6 GT at CarDomain.com
post #30 of 377 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
Did you try taking out all your old parts from your trunk, that may stop the noises! [I'm just trying to be a smart ass so if you don't have a sense of humor, just ignore me.] Being serious though, have you checked your spare to see if it's loose?
I have had several people ask the same thing. I have not checked yet (guess I should), but I am not sure why it would be the spare when it has not been moved, and has many things on top. The spare parts, by the way, are in the box the new ones came in, and then inside the net pocket in the trunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.