"Engine Power Reduced" & Throttle Body Issues - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

"Engine Power Reduced" & Throttle Body Issues

2010 G6 4 cyl 115k miles

Sorry for the long post but it's a strange issue. A few months ago during an oil change one of the mechanics somehow cut a wire in the group of wires near the yellow dipstick area, when I tried to leave I started my car and it said engine power reduced, so I shut it off, they fixed the wire quickly and I was on my way.

A few weeks ago I was at autozone getting a headlight bulb and decided to throw in one of those chevron fuel treatment cleaners, the car drove fine initially but about a day later I went to start my car and had the same message pop up saying engine power reduced, the rpms were low and bouncing around, so I shut it off, turned it back on, same reduced power issue, turned it back off, and then back on and it was fine but then I had a check engine light. Took it to autozone and the code indicated an issue with the throttle body. I mentioned that I ran the fuel cleaner through, and one of the older guys suggested it could be fuel crystals in the tank that got lose, and are clogging fuel lines or intake into the engine? Their suggestion was to run the tank down and fill up again before replacing the throttle body, so I did that, ran it down, it ran fine the rest of the week and the code cleared itself off.

I have refueled several times since this, and this morning I had the same issue. After turning it off and back on it seemed fine but my CEL was on. I drove to work, after work the code was off and it's running fine again.

Before I attempt to repair any possible shorts in the wiring, could the story about the fuel cleaner have any validity? Do "fuel crystals" actually cause issues like this? We do have a habit of running it down to a 1/4 tank before refilling so I wasn't sure.

Any suggestions? Do you think it's a wiring issue, or something with the fuel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Also I don't know if it's related at all, but I am getting bad vibration in the steering wheel and dashboard, it's getting somewhat noisy and annoying at this point, I am going to check mounts this weekend.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 08:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
Can you tell us what the actual code that came up was? Have you tried cleaning your throttle body? if not id try that and the MAF as well.
..also not sure about the fuel crystal thing. I run Techron through mine every once in a while with no issues.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay I recently moved and haven't had a chance to update.

So I had the same issue again today after it driving fine since my last post, I took it in and checked the codes:

P2135 & C0242

So they seem to be related to the throttle / pedal sensor? Could this be related to the wire that was accidentally cut at the oil change place?

Here is a img of the wires that were repaired for reference: http://imgur.com/a/8mGdU

I am looking around and it seems these codes are common with GM vehicles? I am seeing guys on Corvette and other forums with the same issues.

What do you suggest I do next? I have a feeling the oil chance place won't take any liability for the damage they did since it's been over a month or two since it happened, but it might be worth a shot. If they won't fix it, should I pull the tape off and check the wiring for shorts/damage? Should I check the pedal sensor and make sure it's not loose?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Sorry I can't figure out how to edit my post, but should I look into cleaning all the connections near the throttle body? How do I get this big plastic engine cover off so I can access those parts?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Bump, any ideas? The shop I took it to doesn't want to assume any responsibility since it's been a few months since the damage occurred. For now it's running fine, but I worry it would happen while driving.

Also, my Service Airbag Light comes on everytime I drive, I have a feeling it's the sensors/wiring in the seat but could it somehow be related? The GM tech said there was a switch behind the steering wheel he could replace that might fix the issue, but I wasn't sure what part he could have been referring to.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

bump any ideas?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 10:18 AM
Living the MINI life...

I had the same issue last year. I cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor. Worked just fine. Your car will idle at a little higher RPM range afterward but it will return to normal in a day or so.

SCRAPPED BLACK 06 GTP Coupe 6 Speed Manual
Performance- Flowmaster muffler, Cherry Bomb glasspack, JET PCM, K&N Typhoon CAI, Racingline STB, self made underbody air scoop
Appearance- 16% tint all around, debadged with the exception of blacked out Pontiac Arrowheads, black Altezza taillights
Audio- 2 10" Kicker Comp subwoofers powered by 1200 watt MA Audio Amplifier

Cosmic Mettalic Blue 2011 Mini Countryman S,
6 speed manual
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I will go ahead and clean my throttle body this weekend. How do I clean the MAF sensor? I assume it's somewhere on the intake tube by the air filter right?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 12:55 AM

Correct, its plugged in by the filter, there is a special spray you can get from any autozone etc.. specifically mass air flow sensor cleaner
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 01:06 AM

Here's a few links to give you an idea of how to clean the MAF sensor and the throttle body. It's pretty easy, but it's very important to get the specific cleaners for each. If you use the wrong cleaners, you'll be looking at replacing the parts which don't come cheap. The cleaners come in rattle cans from any auto store and are each under $10. Once you have the cans, you're more motivated to do it every now and then.

When you clean the throttle body, it's important to follow these tips so the car re-learns everything it needs to know.

Throttle body cleaning and idle relearn procedure

Hopefully this helps!

2008 Pontiac G6 - 2.4-litre four cylinder engine - 165,000-kilometres
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorich View Post
Here's a few links to give you an idea of how to clean the MAF sensor and the throttle body. It's pretty easy, but it's very important to get the specific cleaners for each. If you use the wrong cleaners, you'll be looking at replacing the parts which don't come cheap. The cleaners come in rattle cans from any auto store and are each under $10. Once you have the cans, you're more motivated to do it every now and then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TO7ZC5N-aA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41yFXjibtLY

When you clean the throttle body, it's important to follow these tips so the car re-learns everything it needs to know.

Throttle body cleaning and idle relearn procedure

Hopefully this helps!
Thanks for the links and videos, I am going to knock this out this weekend and hope for the best. I had the same thing happen today, but for the first time it was at a red light in traffic, so that was interesting. Threw up the same codes again so I am hoping the MAF cleaning and TB cleaning solves my issues.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJR View Post
Thanks for the links and videos, I am going to knock this out this weekend and hope for the best. I had the same thing happen today, but for the first time it was at a red light in traffic, so that was interesting. Threw up the same codes again so I am hoping the MAF cleaning and TB cleaning solves my issues.
No problem. Glad to help. Just be sure to follow the videos after you've cleaned both, especially the throttle body. Once you get to it, it's fairly easy to do. If you've got any issues, just post here again.

I also saw you asked about removing the plastic cover in a previous post. They're fairly simple, though can be tedious. I've got a 2.4-litre engine and on mine I take the oil cap off, then on the driver side there's a screw (phillips, I think) underneath you have to remove. You might have to undo a clamp, but after that you should be able to pull it off. On mine, there's a small ball clip towards the back it also fits on, but it's easy to get on/off. Here's a link to a previous post.

Remove Plastic Engine Cover?

2008 Pontiac G6 - 2.4-litre four cylinder engine - 165,000-kilometres
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.