SVC Tire Monitor? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Awesome

Unhappy SVC Tire Monitor?

Hey everyone!

I just got my 2008 Pontiac G6 basic 4 door with a 2.4 three weeks ago. It's got a little over 29,000 miles on it. It's my first American made car since my Mustang I got a little over 4 years ago. (Since then I've had Japanese and Korean cars)

This afternoon when I started my car, on the info display center told me that I needed to SVC Tire Monitor. The little light on the dash came on and according to the owners manual it said that one of my tires was at a dangerously low level (this is not quite the case the tires are between 30 - 35).

I would just add air to the tires, but when the info display center has "SVC Tire Monitor", I'm not sure if I should just take it to the dealership or if this is something that GM has put into the car to make sure I do my 30K Check up.

Has anyone else come across this problem before or have any advice (or maybe another thread where this is addressed?)

(This is my first car less than 5 years old and I'm very excited and impressed with Pontiac, but I'm afraid all the technology and random features will really be more of a stumbling block than a help).

Thanks and I hope you all have an awesome day!

- Christiaan

Last edited by Mr Funkhouser; 03-10-2009 at 01:01 AM. Reason: (I added the question about another thread)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 06:23 AM
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funkhouser View Post
Hey everyone!

I just got my 2008 Pontiac G6 basic 4 door with a 2.4 three weeks ago. It's got a little over 29,000 miles on it. It's my first American made car since my Mustang I got a little over 4 years ago. (Since then I've had Japanese and Korean cars)

This afternoon when I started my car, on the info display center told me that I needed to SVC Tire Monitor. The little light on the dash came on and according to the owners manual it said that one of my tires was at a dangerously low level (this is not quite the case the tires are between 30 - 35).

I would just add air to the tires, but when the info display center has "SVC Tire Monitor", I'm not sure if I should just take it to the dealership or if this is something that GM has put into the car to make sure I do my 30K Check up.

Has anyone else come across this problem before or have any advice (or maybe another thread where this is addressed?)

(This is my first car less than 5 years old and I'm very excited and impressed with Pontiac, but I'm afraid all the technology and random features will really be more of a stumbling block than a help).

- Christiaan

I don't have that feature. Welcome to G6owners club, BTW.

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Break My Wallet Tech

TPMs, or pressure monitors can activate under cold weather conditions, it could also be from a faulty sensor or cpu.
Just some information to pass along..

It would not hurt to check with your dealer either...

Rusty

2007 GTP Sedan
1976 F-100
1969 F-100(in pieces)
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 09:21 PM

Tpms

We have a 2007 G6 GT. I have checked the manual and inspected the rims. I cannot find any references to TPMS of any kind. Does any know which models and/or years that TPMS became a standard feature?
Some GM models use a passive system that relies on the ABS sensors to determine rotational differences, others use a direct system which uses wheel mounted sensors, usually a part of the valve stem (which is why most use stainless steel valve stems).
For all the hype that Chevy makes about the use of TPMS on their models, you'd think GM would deploy it on every make and model like air bags.
I thoughts the Federal Government mandated the use of TPMS on every passenger vehicle by a certain date as a result of the Ford/Firestone debacle?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 08:20 AM
Break My Wallet Tech

I know on 08 gt they were available.

Rusty

2007 GTP Sedan
1976 F-100
1969 F-100(in pieces)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 06:08 PM

Re: Tire Pressure Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funkhouser View Post
Hey everyone!

- Christiaan
Check your owners manual. There should be a procedure to reset the system.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 08:26 AM

The old system GM used were trouble-prone and inaccurate, so they got rid of it and now uses a more sophisticated system which became standard equipment from 2008 on.

The resetting procedure is quite complicated as outlined in the owner's manual. You can try resetting it yourself or take it to the dealer and have them check it out. The TPMS is a separate system and has nothing to do with the regular maintenance interval of the vehicle.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 05:07 AM

I have had several issues with the Tire Pressure monitor. I purchased new snow tires, new rims, and had sensors added, so I would not have to deal with the reset issue everytime I had my tires changed. When I had the snows put on in November, I left the dealership, to have the light come on after about 30 miles. I took it in, they reset it, all was good. Until just last week, I had my summer tires put back on, and I've had to take the car in 2 times to reset the tpms system. The service people do not know why this is happening.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 11:08 AM
GTP 06

Send a message via MSN to maykevin5
I know they can act up if the battery is low in the sensor, or if someone has put fix-a-flat in the tire, it clogs up the ports in the sensor.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 04:49 PM

Talking SVC Monitor

Hello, I have an '09 g6 gt coupe, i just had an oil change and the 6,000 mile tire rotation, they didn't reset the SVC monitors. I reset them myself (pretty easy) but the tire pressure wil not appear. Do i need to put air back into them? I reset the pressures to recomendation but they won't show on the readout, just dashes showing. Can anyone help?
Thanx.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 08:10 PM

Send a message via MSN to SlushyButterfly
hey guys! I recently got a 08 g6, got new winter tires put on yesterday and OH! what do you know SVC tire monitor light monitor comes on.. Im going to check out my manual and try to reset this myself! thanks for all the feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Handle It! - Suspension, Wheel and Tire Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.