Solstice/G6 GTP rims - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Solstice/G6 GTP rims

Are the Solstice rims the same as the GTP sedan rims?

If they are then all of us looking for winter rubber may be in business - see the last post for the website info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 12:07 AM
Just another nobody...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbooth

If they are then all of us looking for winter rubber may be in business - see the last post for the website info.
No, they are not the same wheel.

The solstice features the same bolt pattern, 5x110mm, butt a higher offest @ 55mm. Basically the solstice wheels would stick 1" farther in than the stock 7" wide wheels at 41mm (while still being about same position on the outside) and would probably impact the struts, etc. Spacers may work, but would probably require new lugs.

However, I don't know how that will help - seeing as the solstice wheels, if you can find them, will be available at a PREMIUM most likely, and any aftermarket wheels will be designed around the higher offset.

Winter rubber isn't a hard thing to come by if you get new wheels to begin with. If you're considering solstice wheels, then certainly some cheap 17" wheels (like sport edition fox2s for under $100) with winter or A/S rubber would be still cheaper.

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP Coupe
1976 MG Midget - project car
----------------------------------
Real men wear Pink? No - real men (and women) wear camoflage, sleep in ditches dug in the sand, eat MREs, and carry US issued weapons...
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 10:32 PM
Just another nobody...

Quote:

Additionally, the Solstice has Eagle RSAs, certainlly not any improvement over the LS2s...

Real men wear Pink? No - real men (and women) wear camoflage, sleep in ditches dug in the sand, eat MREs, and carry US issued weapons...
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

miscreant,

Thanks for the info. The rubber is not what I'm worried about. It's the rim. I need 17" steel rims - but no one seems to have them in a 5x110 with around 38 offset. Apparently, the 1994 Saab 900 has similar wheels - however, they are $1720 CDN plus tax (around $2K all in). That is ridiculous for winter tires.

I'll keep looking.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 11:46 AM
Just another nobody...

Quote:
miscreant,

Thanks for the info. The rubber is not what I'm worried about. It's the rim. I need 17" steel rims - but no one seems to have them in a 5x110 with around 38 offset. Apparently, the 1994 Saab 900 has similar wheels - however, they are $1720 CDN plus tax (around $2K all in). That is ridiculous for winter tires.

I'll keep looking.
Like I said, probably the best thing to do is get some decent Sport Edition rims for $90 from Tirerack with 17" winters mounted on them. Probably the cheapest thing right now.

Saab 9-3 and 9-5 wheels also fit for the most part, but finding 17" STEEL wheels is almost impossible. I don't know of any car that ever had 17" steel wheels.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Just so everyone knows. The GTP sedan and coupe have DIFFERENT bolt patterns. I'm not sure what Pontiac was thinking on that one.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Just another nobody...

Quote:
Just so everyone knows. The GTP sedan and coupe have DIFFERENT bolt patterns. I'm not sure what Pontiac was thinking on that one.
Um, no they don't. Both are 5x110mm. They use the exact same wheels in fact.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

They took off my wheels a couple of days ago - mechanic said they were 114.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 06:25 PM
Just another nobody...

Quote:
They took off my wheels a couple of days ago - mechanic said they were 114.
Mechanic was wrong.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

yup - sure was. Another guy just called me - they found rims for me - 16". Now we just have to see if they'll fit over the roters.

I'll keep you posted.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 09:22 PM
Just another nobody...

Quote:
yup - sure was. Another guy just called me - they found rims for me - 16". Now we just have to see if they'll fit over the roters.

I'll keep you posted.
Let us know (I'm sure you will). What kind of 16"s are they (from what car?).

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Someone posted earlier that "all g6's have the same bolt patter." That may be true but not all G6 rims are interchangeable. The GT and GTP are the same however the base and V6 aren't. Hence the problem, we can't take the 16's off a V6 and use them as snow on my car - they are different.

Anyway, the Sales Manager has been in touch with GM to tell them not to be so stupid in the future. Why would a line up of cars have different bolt patters? It seems to me that none of snow tire issues would be issues if they had used some foresight and made them all the same.

I'm sure you have something to say about that.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 03:38 PM

Are you serious??

I was going to ask if I could possible put the 17s on my V6. Will they work?
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 04:04 PM

17's off the GT WILL work on the standard V6 model, as a replacement for the 16" steel wheels.

I have a set on my car now. No noticeable speedometer difference either. Ride is a tad rougher with the bigger, lower profile tires, but the Conti rubber handles a LOT better than the Uniroyal compound. Despite the handling in crease, I still can't wait to replace the Conti's with an agressive Bridgestone in the spring.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 04:13 PM

What is the overall diameter of the 17 GTs vs the 16 V6? I would have thought they would be the same *thus no difference on the speedo* anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Handle It! - Suspension, Wheel and Tire Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.