Pontiac G6 Forum banner

GXP tires

15K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  tireguy 
#1 ·
Anyone ever put different size tires on the factory rims? I would like to have wider tires but still want tire height.

#2 ·
Tire height is directly related to tire width. You're getting into the Sidewall Aspect Ratio here.
For example: The G6 came with 2 size tires for the 17" Rims. 215/55R17 and 225/50R17
My car came with the 215/55R17, It was 215mm wide with a sidewall ratio of 55% to fit a 17 inch rim. So the sidewall from rim to tread is 55% of the width of the tire. If we convert 215 to inches we get 8.46 inches, 55% of that is a tire height of 4.65 inches

The wider tire is 225/50R17, so being 225mm wide we get 8.85 inches, 50% of that is a tire height of 4.43 inches. So the wider tire is only about 1/4 inch shorter.

But if you were to get a 225/55R17 then the sidewall would be 4.87 inches tall. But you can't find a performance summer tire in this size easily.

With that being said, you can fit as wide a tire as the rim would take, and the wheel well would clear, but would need a higher sidewall ratio to make up the sidewall, Keep in mind that you can get into some oddly sized tires and start spending more money.

I would recommend checking out TireRack.com You can search by car, or by tire size and get a good idea for tires, sizes, performance ratings. It's a great place for information and to really make an informed decision on tires.

I hope this helps!

#3 ·
most guys with the factory 18" wheels are running 245/45/18 tires, 245 is the widest you can fit on the stock 7" wide wheels

#5 ·
get some 245/45/18's i run dunlop direza Z1 star specs in the summer and they are the best tires you can buy......however theyve become very expensive in the last 2 years...... they were $200/piece the first year i got them, now they are going for $251/ea on tire rack :(

#6 ·
Anyone have any pics of there G6 GXP with factory wheels but different size tires? I am going to have to replace tires probably this summer on mine and I would like to go with some tires a little wider to give it a better stance. I will probably look into this size 245/45/18 but I was not even sure they would fit on factory rims. Sure would help to see some pics of G6's with these tires on. Anybody?????? Thanks.

#9 ·
i do somewhere, ill just have to find them

#11 ·
235/50? eww lol going even higher sidewall lol, they might not even fit under the sping perches at that height, idk........

heres some pics of 245/45/18

#17 ·
I like the pics but my g6 is the sedan with the street edition kit so I have ground effects. The ground effects now obviously attach in the wheel well so this would possibly cause some rubbing in some size tires. This is why I would like to know of some wider tire sizes that can be ran without rubbing issues. If you do not have the ground effects then your size might react different on your car than mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.