Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Couple of problems with my 09 GXP

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  C0RSA1R 
#1 ·
I'm hoping someone can help me with a couple of problems that have just started on my car. First one is slowly loosing coolant. I'm sure it's the water pump. Has anyone ever changed the water pump on a 3.6l engine. I'm guessing you get access to it through the passenger side wheel well. Is that correct? How hard of a job is it?
Second problem is my A/C growling. At idle I hear a growling noise that goes away if I turn the auto climate control off. What causes this noise and what is the fix for it?
I love my car and might be changing jobs soon, so I will be putting a lot more miles on her. I'm hoping to keep my car for a long time. It has 78,000 miles on it now.
Thanks for any and all help.
Cliff

#2 ·
I've never done the water pump on a new-ish sedan. I imagine it would be a cast-iron bitch to get to, though. Same with the A/C - mine made noise like you describe, and it turned out the compressor clutch was shot. When the technician removed the compressor to inspect it, there was a lot of internal wear, so I went on eBay, bought a new compressor (w/ clutch), and had the tech install it. I do a lot of work on my cars, but the engine on this thing is beyond the time and effort (and tools) that I have available.

Your best bet would be to try confirming it's the water pump, then buy the part on eBay and hire a shop mechanic to put it on for you. If you go to Firestone or the dealership they'll take you for every penny, and make you use their parts at a huge markup. A local auto shop probably won't mind using 3rd party parts, and will charge a fair rate for labor.

#3 ·
Thank you Corsa1r for replying. Since posting I have changed the water pump. It actually wasn't to bad. I took off the air intake and cold air box, the serpentine belt, top radiator hose and the bracket holding the engine stabilizing shock and could get to the pump somewhat easily. A 10mm socket takes off the pulley and the 6 bolts holding the pump on.

I'm not sure if my pump was leaking or if it was just loose. The bolts all came out very easily, but I figured since I already had it all apart I should change it rather then risk it.

#4 ·
I'm glad it worked out, and both surprised and pleased that it was so easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.