Pontiac G6 Forum banner

G6 GXP How is it getting the 270hp

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  GXPCameron 
#1 · (Edited)
As a Pontiac fan I am hoping the 3.9 in the GXP is getting the 3 valve heads it needs or maybe direct injection to come up with the 30 additional hp. From this excerp I pulled from the press release it looks like it is none of the above. Please don’t let the additional power come from a ram-air hood, k&n filter and a free flowing exhaust otherwise this G6 GXP will be a laughing stock. I wonder what they mean by saying it uses a modified 3.9.

Under the hood, the G6 GXP uses a modified 3.9-liter V-6 engine mated to a six-speed manual transmission. Linking a ram air induction system with K&N air filter to a cat-back free flowing exhaust helps boost engine output to 270 horsepower (202 kw) and 259 lb.-ft. of torque (358 Nm).

#2 ·
The 240 hp 3.9L V6 runs on 87 octane. So my guess is 20 or more of the horsepower will come from upping the compression with the rest coming from intake and exhaust work. The H.O. version of the 3.9L V6 will probably need 91 octane.

I don’t think there will be a 3 valve head and/or DI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.