Auto dimming mirror with compass installed! - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Auto dimming mirror with compass installed!

I posted some pics of the mirror and wiring install points at my new cardomain page. Here is the link.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2326733

On the mirror, there are 2 wires. The one that is black with a red stripe, goes to a key on +, the one that is solid black goes to a ground. On the passenger side of the console, there is a pop off panel, gaining you access to the fuse box. There is a semi-thick green wire (key on) that you can tap in for the hot lead, and to your right of this there are a couple of excellent grounding points(use a 10 mm socket to loosen a nut, put a connector on the ground wire, install on stud, then retighten the nut). I had to take off the passenger side a-pillar trim (remove one screw, then it will pop out, it's held in by two additional clips). The wires tucked up in the headliner nicely. Any questions, let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 09:32 AM
A two-G6 family!

Send a message via AIM to ragingfish Send a message via MSN to ragingfish Send a message via Yahoo to ragingfish
I would love to do that, but I have onstar. I bought an auto-dim mirror with compass and onstar off ebay, but that crazy gm data bus system or whatnot has made installing it impossible because i can't figure out how to power up the compass and/or auto dim featues...
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Former G6 Guy

Send a message via AIM to bigbengt67
Very nice! Should be a factory option!
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingfish
I would love to do that, but I have onstar. I bought an auto-dim mirror with compass and onstar off ebay, but that crazy gm data bus system or whatnot has made installing it impossible because i can't figure out how to power up the compass and/or auto dim featues...
What do you want to know. If its a Gentex mirror i can help. Since i work there.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 06:15 AM

Here is my mirror. Notice i lasered G6 into the element on the left side and put a piece of stainless steel behind it. Homelink Dual Display. There is also a pic of my old mirror, but i got sick of the Pontiac symbol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2325709_6_full.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	426   Click image for larger version

Name:	2325709_8_full.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pontiac.JPG
Views:	535
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	428  
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 11:13 PM

Thats a nice mirror, how much does something like that one cost? I've always wanted the homelink built into it.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interfire
Thats a nice mirror, how much does something like that one cost? I've always wanted the homelink built into it.
Well we dont sell mirrors to the general public. But you can buy one from http://www.mitocorp.com/flash/homeli...ingmirrors.htm. Looks like you have to call for pricing.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 11:00 PM

The G6 looks good on there. Im thinking of getting the gentex with just the compass. I wonder if the compass only mirror can be changed to red LED instead of the green.

2006 Crimson Red GTP Coupe

Last edited by cnagy65; 05-07-2006 at 11:11 PM.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 01:37 AM
A two-G6 family!

Send a message via AIM to ragingfish Send a message via MSN to ragingfish Send a message via Yahoo to ragingfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatech3
What do you want to know. If its a Gentex mirror i can help. Since i work there.
Crap, I just saw your reply now. I can't say for sure, but I THINK it IS a Gentex! It's an OEM mirror out of a cadillac I think, the codes on the back read 015322 GNTX-261. Does that mean anything to you?
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnagy65
The G6 looks good on there. Im thinking of getting the gentex with just the compass. I wonder if the compass only mirror can be changed to red LED instead of the green.
Yes it can. i have done many.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Crap, I just saw your reply now. I can't say for sure, but I THINK it IS a Gentex! It's an OEM mirror out of a cadillac I think, the codes on the back read 015322 GNTX-261. Does that mean anything to you?
Well it tells me its a Gentex mirror. Is it a base (no compass or tempurature), compass, Comp/Temp?
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 07:40 AM
A two-G6 family!

it's an auto dim with compass and onstar capabilities...
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 11:38 AM

Quote:
it's an auto dim with compass and onstar capabilities...
Pin 13 is ignition. And pin 8 is ground. From the back of the connector. if you have it, it should tell you which pins are which.

Now unless the vehicle is setup for Onstar, it probably wont work. But the autodim and compass will.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Yes it can. i have done many.
Thanks, I will have to look into it when I get it.

2006 Crimson Red GTP Coupe
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 01:05 AM
A two-G6 family!

Quote:
Pin 13 is ignition. And pin 8 is ground. From the back of the connector. if you have it, it should tell you which pins are which.

Now unless the vehicle is setup for Onstar, it probably wont work. But the autodim and compass will.
thanks! i do have onstar, which is why i sprung for this particular one. another question: there's a second 4 wire mini white harness coming out the rear of the mirror. (see below) what is that supposed to connect to? and is the compass built into the mirror, or is there supposed to be an additional external part of it? because if so, i'm missing that part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0010.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	435  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.