Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Will a 2008 Radio (with front aux input) work in a 2007 G6?

20K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  TinIndian 
#1 ·
My brother has a 2007 G6 (single CD/base stereo system) and wants to upgrade to a 2008 single disc player with the aux input in the front of the radio for an MP3 player.

Will a 2008 single disc Radio (with front aux input) work in a 2007 G6?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

#2 ·
i'd say no ... i have a 2005 with a 6 disc cd changer and i wanted to put in a 6 disc cd changer from a 2008 GT with an aux input but when i took mine out it had only one terminal going to it ... and the antena of course ... and the GT had 2 terminals and the antena ... i tried to plug in whatever terminal fit ... it fit in but the stereo said "LOCKED" on it ... i called the dealer and he didn't tell me if it would work ... all he told me was "bring it up here and we'll have a look at it" he also said that you need a scan tool to unlock it ... now that extra terminal that my 05 didn't have had 4 wires in it ... i'm pretty sure those wires go on every speaker in the car so when you plug in your mp3 player in it sends singal directly to the speakers ... even if you do unlock the stereo i'm pretty sure the aux input won't work ...

i'm dreaming about a aux input too but i use this
http://cgi.ebay.com/IPOD-MONSTER-CA...ryZ73836QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

tell your brother to give it a try ... he won't regret it ... i've had not troubles with it so far ... it sounds great ... like you're playing a cd ...

#3 ·
oh and also ... if you ever do take out your stereo and you put it back in and it says "LOCKED" on it - don't panic ... the computer will recognize it after a few minutes and it will work fine ... i guess that's why you need a scan tool to unlock it ... the computer keeps all the information about the stereo in it so when you plug it back in it unlocks it by itself ... but when you plug in a stereo that's never been there before it doesn't know it so it would need to be reprogramed to regognize the new stereo and i'm pretty sure you old one wouldn't unlock by itself after that ... so ... plus it's like 60 bucks to unlock it

#6 ·
I did just swap my 07 G6 radio with the 2008 6 disc changer (with the aux input) in to my 07 base line g6 (1sv) . Radio works perfectlly. When I plugged it in I got the locked message so I had friend show up with a GM tech 2 to unlock the radio. All I needed was the VIN of the car the 08 radio came out of. I am not sure what the additional plug is for on the back of the 08 radio... I can only assume it is for things like steering wheel controls or on star, or some other option my base model did not come with.

#13 ·
not yet but i'm gonna do it sometime this week ... or next week ... i'll post on here ... it's just the matter of time which i don't have much of ... but i really wanna do it ... my friend got me a deal to unlock a stereo for $45 ... so that's pretty good comparing to $90 that they originaly wanted

#14 ·
yeah so i did the swap yesturday morning ... unlocked the stereo and saw that it was a single cd player with aux input not a 6 disk cd changer with aux import ... and it sounded like crap ... my old 6 disc changer sounds like a beast ... and the aux input worked really quite ... so i put my old radio back on cuz i couldn't take the crappy sound ... i'll have to find a 6 disk cd changer with aux input and put it on ... so i basicaly flushed $46 bucks down the toilet :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.