I just purchased a used 2006 G6 base and I was wondering about the radio - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

I just purchased a used 2006 G6 base and I was wondering about the radio

I wanted to upgrade the radio so I can have Bluetooth and things like that but when I took it to Best Buy they told me I needed to purchase a $250 adapter in addition to the cost of the radio. Is that true? That's a lot of money. Is there any way around this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:57 AM
Old far...er...tinkerer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly17 View Post
I wanted to upgrade the radio so I can have Bluetooth and things like that but when I took it to Best Buy they told me I needed to purchase a $250 adapter in addition to the cost of the radio. Is that true? That's a lot of money. Is there any way around this??
The stock radio in this car includes a "user interface" to the car. For example, you reset the oil life monitor via the radio. So most owners want to retain those features.

There are two approaches. The first is a kit like the Metra 99-3303 (links below). This kit includes the user interface and also mounts the new, aftermarket radio in the dash. A quick web search shows prices in the range 110 to 200 dollars. So the Best Buy price isn't really out of line, when labor is included.

The other option is to relocate the factory radio elsewhere, such as in the trunk. That way, the user interface is retained, albeit in a less convenient location. I've seen relocation kits for other models, but not sure if they make one for this car (since they make the user interface replacement kits instead). That said, I made, from scratch, a relocation kit for my 2002 Impala. I found some 8-lead shielded cable and used that to relocate the radio to the trunk so that I'd have the chimes and be able to reset the oil life, etc.

There is still another kit for this , but I'm not sure it replaces the user interface. It may only replace the chime function.

If you are doing this yourself, the 110 dollar price for the Metra-99-330 kit looks pretty good. It includes the dash adapter and wiring. 250 at Best Buy is kinda stiff, but for 110, it seems like a decent price.

HTH.

Doug

Metra 99-3303 Dash and Wiring Kit Install and connect a new single-DIN car stereo and retain the Driver Info Center in select 2004-09 Chevrolet or Pontiac models at Crutchfield.com

Pontiac G6 2009 Single DIN Aftermarket Stereo Harness Radio Install Dash Kit - SC2-RadioKit1348

Last edited by plano_doug; 01-08-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.