2007 G6 Convertible - Broken End Covers - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
DRC

2007 G6 Convertible - Broken End Covers

9/20/16

Purchased our 2007 G6 in 2010. Currently has 15,000mi - driven in summers only - excellent condition. 3 months ago the passenger side END COVER broke off of the hinge of the BOOT COVER, destroying the plastic hinge on the boot cover - it was hanging by the actuator cable. 1 week ago the driver side END COVER did the same thing. In both cases the ACTUATOR CABLE was disconnected, the broken assemblies were removed, and the retractable hood was again functional. Since these parts seem to be no longer available, I am planning to repair the damaged areas. Prior to spending the time rebuilding the plastic parts, I am trying sort out WHY this happened twice in a period of 3 months. My guess is that it might have something to do with the ACTUATOR CABLES. The ACTUATOR CABLES are available and I did order one - the replacement is slightly different than the original - it has an additional spring assembly in the middle of the cable that the originals did not have.
Any ideas as to why this happened twice would be appreciated! THANK YOU!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 10:51 PM

In my case, both times the cable snapped at about the spot drivers side where the cable leaves the 'noodle' headed away from the anchor end. I couldn't find a definite failure reason. I don't like that.
I chalked it up to heavy use. I have a 2007, 105k, and I use the top daily, and operate the top probably 6 days of the week. I keep the mechanisms all lubed up, and I watch the top in operation.
The car is my baby, and I don't like have anything not work, so I had to fix it.
The first time, I was able to locate a replacement cover complete, the second time, I did a fair patch job on the hinges.
I tried to reform and epoxy them, but the stress was to much. Since the cover was broken anyway, I chose a different route, that works, it isn't what I wanted, but it works. I ran a heavy duty zip tie down, around the pin for the hinge and around. It hugs the pin, and...works! Not as pretty as I liked, but it does the job until I can locate a replacement cover. (I probably could have done better)
Pics here, and if you are unsure I can shoot more, and can throw down some, tips on the disassembly, and other stuff so you or the car don't get hurt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
DRC

Thank you davez26!!

I really appreciate your response! Like you, I can't decide what the reason was for the damage - my wife uses the top daily during the warm Minnesota months - I keep the mechanisms lubricated - she watches/listens to the top when it is motion - in our case, neither cable broke - the hinges on the main, large panel were broken and the plastic
areas on the moveable outer wing panels where the threaded brass inserts were pressed in also were broken.

I had thought maybe the cables were binding, so I did order one new cable - as you can see in the photo, the new cable has an additional area in the mid portion of the cable that houses a spring - something the original cables did not have. I believe I may return the cable (if I can at this point) as I am not sure the cables were the problem.

I have discussed this issue with a friend and his theory is that MAYBE the oil used to
lubricate the mechanism (and I lubricate yearly) got onto the plastic in these areas
(which is definitely did) and it harmed the plastic - he said that I should have used a
TEFLON grease for these areas where the lubricant came in contact with the plastic.

Possibly a cause.

I have included a few photos.

THANK YOU very much for your response and your repair idea. I had thought that I
might have a replacement hinge fabricated this winter but prior to that I am going to
implement your repair.

Any additional photos or tips on disassembly would be appreciated! I plan to begin
working on the project in a few weeks as our weather is getting cooler and it will be
time to put the G6 into winter storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Panel Stud.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	11762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken  Hindge.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	11770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Additional Spring In Cable.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	11778  

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 03:29 PM

I apologize I hadn't gotten back to you, life being crazy. Part of which son bought first car $900. Took to shop today, then over to pull-and-pay salvage. Crap luck for his car, but saw a G6 CNV with a side impact - SCORE. Back panel......wait....for...it.... $10.!!!
I took the cables with as part of it. They didn't have a category so priced it as 'molding-large'. Done gloating.
I will get the tips done soon.
It's a beautiful fall day here in CO, and I have to go to the office in a bit to catch up some paper.
Guess who is going topless?
Damn, I love that car!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 10:39 PM

There is a panel on eBay right now...

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
DRC

10/31/16

davez26 - First of all, congrats on locating parts for such a great price!

Secondly, THANK YOU for the E-bay lead! I plan to make the purchase
(if still available) at this time.

We still have a few more weeks of potential top-down weather, so I hope
to receive the parts in the next few days and will then do the replacement
work sometime after Thanksgiving.

If you have any tips to pass along, I would appreciate hearing from you.

I plan to send you any hints that I have once I begin the work on our
vehicle.

Thank you again for the Ebay tip!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
DRC

11/1/16

At 4:15pm the price of the parts on Ebay were $150 "buy it now". By the time I was able to get to the computer at home and make the purchase (2hr later) the "buy it now" price had gone up to $550... Looks like I will pass...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.