In my case, both times the cable snapped at about the spot drivers side where the cable leaves the 'noodle' headed away from the anchor end. I couldn't find a definite failure reason. I don't like that.
I chalked it up to heavy use. I have a 2007, 105k, and I use the top daily, and operate the top probably 6 days of the week. I keep the mechanisms all lubed up, and I watch the top in operation.
The car is my baby, and I don't like have anything not work, so I had to fix it.
The first time, I was able to locate a replacement cover complete, the second time, I did a fair patch job on the hinges.
I tried to reform and epoxy them, but the stress was to much. Since the cover was broken anyway, I chose a different route, that works, it isn't what I wanted, but it works. I ran a heavy duty zip tie down, around the pin for the hinge and around. It hugs the pin, and...works! Not as pretty as I liked, but it does the job until I can locate a replacement cover. (I probably could have done better)
Pics here, and if you are unsure I can shoot more, and can throw down some, tips on the disassembly, and other stuff so you or the car don't get hurt.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk