Newbie with 07 G6 Coupe GT in North Dallas, Texas - Pontiac G6 Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By plano_doug
  • 1 Post By waterfowler76

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Newbie with 07 G6 Coupe GT in North Dallas, Texas

Hi there,

I picked up a great looking 2007 Pontiac G6 GT Couple 3.5L automatic in Transition Blue Metallic, it has high miles at just over 220k.
I got it from the original owner in Georgia, flew in and drove it home. Feel in love with the car in about 10 minutes, and by the time
I got home, I had a list of all the decencies and already wanted to upgrade to a 07+ G6 Convertible.

Top 3 issues on this coupe is:
Valve cover leak/seepage
ABS Module is bad (guessing, after 2 minutes ABS light comes on and chimes, but not the traction control)
Catalytic converter code P0420 is causing a CEL (Check engine light) every start, every time

My goal is to have all 3 of these items fixed in the next 30 days.

I bought a used OEM ABS model off a 07 wrecked G6, and went to swap it out today and was OVERWHELMED, I found Zero help from Chiltons
(as it says "See your dealer, under the ABS"), and found no help on the Malibu, Cobalt, HHR, and Aura...

I love GM vehicles, and am a great armchair mechanic when it comes to diagnosing, but not that great at actual mechanic work.

Has anyone had a coupe, and upgraded to a Convertible?

Nice guy, no attitude here, maybe some dry humor though-

-TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 10:42 AM
Old far...er...tinkerer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07PontiacG6 View Post
Hi there,

I picked up a great looking 2007 Pontiac G6 GT Couple 3.5L automatic in Transition Blue Metallic, it has high miles at just over 220k.
I got it from the original owner in Georgia, flew in and drove it home. Feel in love with the car in about 10 minutes, and by the time
I got home, I had a list of all the decencies and already wanted to upgrade to a 07+ G6 Convertible.

Top 3 issues on this coupe is:
Valve cover leak/seepage
ABS Module is bad (guessing, after 2 minutes ABS light comes on and chimes, but not the traction control)
Catalytic converter code P0420 is causing a CEL (Check engine light) every start, every time

My goal is to have all 3 of these items fixed in the next 30 days.

I bought a used OEM ABS model off a 07 wrecked G6, and went to swap it out today and was OVERWHELMED, I found Zero help from Chiltons
(as it says "See your dealer, under the ABS"), and found no help on the Malibu, Cobalt, HHR, and Aura...

I love GM vehicles, and am a great armchair mechanic when it comes to diagnosing, but not that great at actual mechanic work.

Has anyone had a coupe, and upgraded to a Convertible?

Nice guy, no attitude here, maybe some dry humor though-
Hi, Welcome.

I have a 2007 G6 with the 3.5L (LZ4), but it's not a GT. BTW, I thought the GT's had the 3.9 (LZ9) motor.

I live in Plano, so we're not too far apart

I can't help much with diagnosing the P0420 code, but I know you can buy aftermarket replacement cats that bolt on without welding. That said, it can a bear breaking loose some of the bolts.

Have you gotten any ABS codes? That will help, I think. Some GM models, such as the Impalas, are notorious for wire chafing in the front ABS sensors. That can cause the ABS light to come on, and/or cause the ABS system to kick in (with the audible brrr sound). I haven't had any issue with my G6 ABS, but I have had to replace several wires on my fleet of 3 Impalas .

I've done the valve covers on one of my 3.4L motors. It takes a while to clear everything out of the way, but, if I recall correctly, it wasn't particularly difficult. My take is the 3.5 LZ4 motor will be about the same level of difficulty, about 3/4 of a Saturday

It takes a full Saturday if you have too many beers or need to make too many trips to the parts store

HTH.

Doug

07PontiacG6 likes this.

Last edited by plano_doug; 01-24-2017 at 10:47 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 01:08 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
the 3.5 was in both the V6 and most GT models, the difference was the final drive ratio. ...and possibly some suspension if I remember correctly.
07PontiacG6 likes this.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Thx

Thank you for the welcome-

*I wish I could edit previous post, it was supposed to say I made a list of deficiencies by the time I got home, although, there were some decencies too. I got over 550 miles

per tank from Atlanta to Dallas using 93 octane, which is so odd considering the tires were bald and in need of alignment, a bad Cat and O2 sensors, 75k since the last spark

plugs and plug wires, a and bad front shocks, and valve covers seeping motor oil.

I do NOT want to mess with a good thing. It gets about 22.5 city.

(Doug I am in North Frisco)

I think I have the LZ4 motor as well

I am definitely going aftermarket on the Cat, for $139 free shipping, no tax. Normally, I would stay stock 100%, but its just not feasible.

I put on the new ABS module today, only to have it activate my ABS AND TRACTION CONTROL immediately, it was a bad unit. I am sending it back.

However, after cleaning off my old one, and putting it back. The ABS light is off, and so is the traction control light. I only put on 5 miles, but its the longest

its gone without the light coming on, sooo strange.. Fingers crossed!!!!

Onto the catalytic converter, so I can get it to pass Inspection.

I do not have a GM OBII scanner, the only code that Orally pulled was the Cat P0420 code, but clearly there was a ABS code in there somewhere, that their cheap

scanner didn't pick up. I am taking it to GM next week to do 2 open recalls on it, and have them do some sleuthing for me, and getting a free 27 point inspection!

I am totally willing to commit an entire weekend to getting the valve covers done, are there any videos, or write ups out there, that I may be missing?

I really want to fix this one up, sell it on, and buy a g6 GT convertible, so I can roll the windows down in the back seat for the dogs-

Thank you for the guidance
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 05:45 AM
2007 gt retractable

i just bought a 2007 g6 convertible just because the retractable top.if you read all the posts about the top stopping working you will stop wanting one.so far everything on my car works.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.