Pontiac G6 Forum banner

2008 G6 Water to the top in spare tire well

19K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Arnax 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. We purchased a 2008 G6 in January of this year. We have had a lot of rain this year and we ignored the condensation we found every time we used the car. Today we were carrying a lot of boxes in the trunk and the bottom of every box was soaking wet. We pulled up the soaking carpet in the trunk and found the spare tire wheel well full of water. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.

#2 ·
A coupe? model & options? Roof option?
I guess with an 08 u dont have the Pano roof. lol

I would open the trunk lid and pour water from a hose down the back window letting it fall into the channel and see if the water rolls around and down the back side of the trunk lid as designed. You need to find out where it is leaking.
Ive heard of wet seat belts and puddles in the back floorboard from the drainage tubes getting clogged on the sunroof option but that is only on the coupes.

never heard of a swimming ppol trunk option before. :eek:

#3 ·
Thank you for your suggestion. Since the car, which is a four door coupe, is still under warranty we took it to the dealer today. They say we have a leak and they will fix it. When we get it back we will so the "hose down the back window" test to make sure the leaks have been fixed.

#7 ·
Hi everyone. I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 GT sedan. I got it in my divorce last yr. I was wanting to know if anyone know what the part is called that you screw the oil filter into is called. The reason I am asking is because my ex did not know that it was busted when he gave it to me and I need to get it replaced. All I know is that it is not a big part, but the oil filter screws into it. And also can someone tell me where i can get wiper blades for my car. I am having a hard time finding any. Thank you

#8 ·
got a similar problem with my 2007 G6 (4 door, v6, sunroof)

moisture inside the car sometimes, and my taillight went out.

I pulled back the carpet covering the housing and saw moisture all over and lots of moisture on the passenger side rear floorboards near the door. no water had been pooled into the spare well.

where the hell is it all coming from?

I have a warranty, I just wonder if its going to be covered.

#10 ·
Leaks are covered in the warranty.

Most commonly, if you have a sunroof, the drain tubes leak. Does your seatbelt get wet?
The windows rubber surrounds are also known to have gaps causing leaks. Both problems cause pooling water in the rear seat area.
thank you. I'll look over the warranty. I think I get a replacement car while its getting worked on.

#12 ·
water in the trunk

I have a 2009 Pontiac GT G6
And every time it would rain I would find a lot of water under the spare tire and the carpet all wet. It looks as though it is coming from the left side, does anyone have any idea as to where it mat be leaking from? It isn't wet inside the car any where just in the trunk.

#13 · (Edited)
I have a 2009 Pontiac GT G6
And every time it would rain I would find a lot of water under the spare tire and the carpet all wet. It looks as though it is coming from the left side, does anyone have any idea as to where it mat be leaking from? It isn't wet inside the car any where just in the trunk.
Behind the left taillight is a rubber grommet. Our car got a slight bump in a parking lot which caused that grommet to be dislodged resulting in water getting in much like you described. It appears water running down the channel along the trunk opening would find its way thru that opening.

I put the grommet back in place, and the car has been dry ever since.

If you remove the left tail light, you will see the grommet.

HTH.

Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.