Pontiac G6 Forum banner

G6 GT,GTP,GXP Exhaust System

119K views 159 replies 65 participants last post by  haydencopeland03 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
if you dont already know i own a performance and body shop in NJ. I am in the midst of building a custom exhaust for my GXP, but what i want to know is if anyone would be interested in buying a bolt on exhaust system for their car... Let me know.
Mike
MV Motoring

#41 ·
Just got a g6 4 door and love the look and sound of that exhaust. how much for the system for my car? Plus for those of you looking for a rear valance go to gmpartsdirect.com. part number 22712778 for the valance.

#45 ·
CAL, Do you have pics of the exhaust system up front. Need to see how the pipes come out of the cat's and go to duels.

I am having problems with the muffler places where I live. I showed them a picture of your duels but they wanted to see the front.

Don't ask why. Been to 3 places and they all say the same thing.

So if you have other pics it would greatly be a appreciated.

#48 ·
getting your exhaust exactly the same as someone else is okay, but all you really need to know is the width of pipe he used and the resonators/mufflers that he used. if you bend the pipes differently or put the mufflers in different spots, it will still sound pretty much the same...and you won't be able to really tell if it does or not unless you go to his house and sit them right next to each other...every camera will record sound slightly different...not to mention you can be a video ninja and change the way it sounds with a few tweaks, too...you could have the shittiest sounding exhaust and make it sound amazing with an audio editing program.

#49 ·
Not trying to have the exact exhaust. I am however, trying to prove to some of these bone heads where I live that it can be done.

Got really pissed yesterday when the guy at Haggard Automotive in Roscoe Illinois laughed and asked why I wanted to get a custom exhaust on a car like that, like its any of his business any way. Ya it's not a 700 HP supercharged Corvette, but it is mine and money is money. I wanted to teabag 'em. Dork probably drives a Hyundai.

#50 ·
I tried to get a pic for you, but it will have to be on a lift to get a good one. Hope you have better luck then what you have had, and my description helps. Are you trying to prove duals can be done? All the way up or like mine? I saw some where someone did dual all the way with cherry bombs about where the resonators are and that was it (didn't sound very good, thats why I had mine done the way I did).

#51 ·
Ya I printed a couple of pics of yours its just getting some one to do it. Seems like these day people should be going out of their way to get business.

I saw the guy with sherry bombs, did not hear it run though, figured it would sound crappy.

I think the roll back what Fuzz was talking about would be a bit much for me. Flow master makes resonator type through pipes. I saw a video of a guy who had an impala SS with those type of resonators and flowmaster 40 series. Sounded good I thought but it was a youtube video...

#53 ·
Dynomax ultra flo X

Ok, found a muffler shop willing to do it my exhaust.

They recommended that I use Dynomax ultra flo X and not flowmasters. They are a flow-master dealer too...lol. They said the roll back on V6's are pretty "poppy" without a resonator just as FUZZ indicated. Flo X would sound very deep with little roll back. They said I probably would not need additional mufflers as the X pipe its self acts as a resonator and the muffler has sound deadening built in. Its like a 2 in one thing.

I opted not to go from the Y pipe flange to true duals. I am having the Y pipe customized with 2 flanges for true duels.

I want to listen to it before they install the full exhaust though.

What do you all think? Good Idea Bad ??

Here is a link to the FLO X

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=ultraflox

#55 ·
Yeah, I wouldnt go with the FLowmasters, they sound like "tin cans". I would go with either Magnaflow Mufflers or I have heard good things about the Dynomax Mufflers, supposed to be deep sounds similar to the Magnaflow Mufflers. Glad you found an exhaust shop willing to take your money! Pics and sound clips will be a must!

#63 ·
I'm trying to fit an 80 series flowmaster muffler in my G6 Sedan it has one 3 in inlet and dual 2.5 outlets on bothsides so it should be easy to bend 90 degree angles and have them run out the lower valance any ideas how to run the inlet pipe around the muffler to mate it with the exhaust pipe?? also any good ideas on how to adapt the 2 1/4 pipe to a 3 in???

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/p...D=3358&zenid=38ae42decf7bf578d389feee01a1957e')

#70 ·
I dunno man, 6 of 1 half dozen of the other. I can't remember what the kits cost online but I paid $550 for custom. That included the muffler that my exhaust guy got cheaper than I could online. 2.5" 100% stainless. I have never heard a GTR in person and I can't really tell the difference listening to the videos. I do know it does not have a tinny pop on roll back just a growl. I have bad hearing anyway for 13 years building and testing jet engines so... I get allot of compliments on it. Another customer at the exhaust shop said it did not sound like a V6. I don't think it sounds like a v8 but maybe a V6 and a half...lol.

I think the X pipe has something to do with the different sound.

I seems to really make a difference at higher RPM's I think I lost a bit of low end torque. Driving on the HWY at 65 drop into 3rd and nail it, sets you back in the seat pretty good.

Did a dashhawk 0-60 it was 5.9...not sure how accurate it is. I had allot of wheel spin and hop. I wish I could get rid of that hop as well.

Not sure what that noise is in the exhaust. It almost sounds like air rushing through pipe but I have never heard anything like that before. Sort of a high frequency rattle.

Took it to the shop but exhaust guy could not put his finger on it, it was on saturday so not much time to look at it. Will take it up there pretty soon on a weekday if I get the time. It's really irritating.

#69 ·
I would like to have a exhaust system installed, that has the deep growl for my 06 g6 gtp sedan.. I hate the crazy A$$ popping shiz.. would someone direct me on where (On the internet) or what to request at a performance exhaust business? I wanna make sure I'm not taken advantage of, being a woman and all. and of course I want to have this done secretly for my husband. :D

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.