Losing Oil [Archive] - Pontiac G6 Forum

: Losing Oil

ninorc
09-21-2011, 01:37 PM
I have a 2006 G6 3.9L V6. I just had an oil change a month ago and I've already had to put one quart of oil in it. It doesn't appear to be leaking anywhere and there is no smoke in the exhaust. Anyone know how I'm losing or burning so much oil?

Tupperware SC2
09-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Your motor and my motor have much in common. you have an LZ9 (3.9 VVT) and ihave the LZ4 (3.5 VVT) it is just a destroked version of your motor.i think our motors burn oil due to either bad PCV or blowby. i took it in to the dealership and this is what happened.

They changed the oil and marked my drain plug orientation with a marker so i cant remove oil on my own. i had to go back every 500-750 miles so that they could check the oil level. they said "losing 1 quart in 3000-5000 miles (depending when your DIC says oil change time) is nothing to be worried about."

Personally i was down like 2-2.5 quarts and they dont have an answer for me but i would take the same course of action. Granted if you are not under some extended warranty it is goign to cost so just talk to your local oil change place for a similar treatment.

greenman
09-21-2011, 05:33 PM
I have a 2006 G6 3.9L V6. I just had an oil change a month ago and I've already had to put one quart of oil in it. It doesn't appear to be leaking anywhere and there is no smoke in the exhaust. Anyone know how I'm losing or burning so much oil?

Have you checked the coolant for contamination?

ninorc
09-22-2011, 05:03 AM
Thanks TupperwareSC2, I have a feeling I'll be down about the same amount as you, 2-2.5 quarts by the time my next oil change comes around.

Greenman, Yes I did check the coolant and there is no oil contamination in it.

greenman
09-22-2011, 05:00 PM

How many engine miles?

ninorc
09-23-2011, 08:37 AM
How many engine miles?

72,000 miles

greenman
09-23-2011, 01:55 PM
A crankshaft rear main seal leak is a known issue on the LZ9. But you should be seeing a drip.

Service Information 2006 Pontiac G6 | G6 (VIN Z) Service Manual | Document ID: 1821552
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PIP3799: Oil Leak at Crankshaft Rear Main Seal - (Apr 26, 2006)

Subject: Oil Leak at Crankshaft Rear Main Seal

Models: 2005-2006 Buick Terraza

2005-2006 Chevrolet Uplander, Malibu/Maxx

2005-2006 Pontiac Montana SV6, G6

2005-2006 Saturn Relay

Equipped with 3.5L LX9 Engine (VIN Codes 8 or L)

2006 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo

Equipped with 3.5L LZE / LZ4 or 3.9L LZ9 Engine (VIN Codes K / N or 1)

2006 Pontiac G6

Equipped with the 3.9L LZ9 Engine (VIN Code 1)

2005-2006 Chevrolet Equinox

2006 Pontiac Torrent

Equipped with the 3.4L LNJ Engine (VIN Code F)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment about an oil leak coming from the left side or rear of the engine. Upon closer inspection you may find that the leak is coming from the crankshaft rear main bearing seal.

Recommendation/Instructions:
At the present time Engineering is testing a new main bearing that will better control the oil distribution at the rear main (#4) location. Until this new bearing becomes available, inspect both halves of the original rear main bearing for excessive clearance and replace if necessary. Also inspect the seal located at the rear main bearing and replace if necessary following the instructions included in TSB 05-06-01-019D.

As soon as the new rear main bearing becomes available a service bulletin will be published.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a ""do-it-yourselfer"". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

2011 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

ConvertibleGT67
01-19-2012, 12:29 PM
I have a 2008 G6GT with the 3.9L V6. And my car just started doing the same thing. It started at about 76k miles. I took it to the dealer and we just started a oil consumption test. Did you ever figure out what your problem was ?