Oil Leak [Archive] - Pontiac G6 Forum

: Oil Leak

RIPws6
02-24-2012, 12:18 AM
Hey, New to the forum, but ive been a G6 owner for 6 years.
With that being said, its got close to 70k miles and recently noticed that its starting to leak oil under the car, and the leak is a little more than a few drops. I notice when I back the car into the driveway where the nose is pointed down, it doesnt leak until I start it. When I park it straight in, with the nose pointing up, it leaks whether its started or not. I thought maybe this info might ring a bell with someone whos experienced it or who may know. I did some checking and found out that if I have a bad oil pan gasket (still unusual at 70k) ...I am one of the lucky guys who bought the car that requires the motor to be lifted out of the car before they can get to the gasket. The labor on that fix is pretty high so I am hoping thats not it.
Any suggestions on what it may be?

pof09G6
02-25-2012, 12:18 AM
I would start with the easiest fixes first. Loose or stripped oil pan drain plug?, oil filter not tight enough?, oil sending unit?, which is located near the oil filter housing on the front side of the engine (3.5).,valve covers in need of tightening? With some luck, maybe that's all you need. Yes,pan gasket replacement is pricey,even more pricey is a rear main seal. Place a piece of cardboard under your car to pin point the drip area and with a shoplight and rags start the search. Good Luck.

slls
02-25-2012, 10:20 AM
With 3.5 the oil filter housing is known to leak, easy fix with new gasket.

Drums101
02-27-2012, 11:41 PM
is this possibly a do it yourself job? The labor is ridiculous I had a shop tell me I have a small leak in the oil pan gasket and it would be 550 bucks to replace. what sucks is mine is a 2009 so its fairly new too.

slls
02-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Should be, never done the gasket, but plenty of filters. The filter is easily accessible so the adapter should be.

RIPws6
02-28-2012, 11:08 PM
is this possibly a do it yourself job? The labor is ridiculous I had a shop tell me I have a small leak in the oil pan gasket and it would be 550 bucks to replace. what sucks is mine is a 2009 so its fairly new too.

I Was told that with certain G6 models, the oil pan gasket repair requires the engine to be lifted to reach the darn thing. Thats why the labor is so high.

pof09G6
02-29-2012, 07:20 AM
On the 3.5 it involves removing the filter and it's adapter. Then the fun begins..,using the engine support fixture,take the weight off the engine mounts,then remove the engine mount bracket from the front(passenger side) of the engine. Remove the torque converter bolts.Remove the ground wires and wiring brackets from transaxle. Loosen all the transaxle-to-engine bolts a few turns but don't remove them. Raise the engine/transaxle assembly somewhat,and remove the oil pan mounting bolts. Pull the engine about 1/2 inch away from transaxle so that the oil pan can clear the protruding boss on transaxle. Careful when separating oil pan from block. Don't Pry between the block and the pan or damage to the sealing surfaces could occur and oil leaks can develope. TAP the pan with a rubber hammer to break the gasket seal. This is why labor runs high on this type of repair. Just for a gasket. This does suck!

Drums101
03-01-2012, 11:50 AM
pof09G6 thanks for the description on how to do it. That sounds like a major PITA. I might just have to take it in it just sucks that for like a 40 dollar part if that cost so damn much to install

slls
03-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Power train warranty should cover it.

Drums101
03-02-2012, 11:59 PM
really? power train warranty would cover a leaking oil pan gasket?

slls
03-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Sure it will, engine is power train. My 09 warranty booklet states oil pan and gaskets.
Dealer knows that, look in your warranty booklet.

greenman
03-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Like slls, I'm betting it's the oil filter adapter gasket that's leaking. Common issue on that engine.

Reg Beckett
03-03-2012, 08:42 PM
My 3.9 is leaking oil from under the passenger side.I am going to take it to the dealer and I assumed that as my 07 has only 106000 km and the warranty is 6 years 160000 km it will be covered.I guess I will find out.

greenman
03-03-2012, 08:54 PM
My 3.9 is leaking oil from under the passenger side.I am going to take it to the dealer and I assumed that as my 07 has only 106000 km and the warranty is 6 years 160000 km it will be covered.I guess I will find out.

IIRC, powertrain coverage is 5yr/160km in Canada, same as the states.

Reg Beckett
03-04-2012, 07:26 PM
ah yes your correct and mine ticked over 5 years in January.Figures.So under I go to see what I can see sheeesh.

RIPws6
03-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Well, I finally took the car in. Upon inspection we found out that it wasnt the oil pan gasket, it was the oil filter adapter gasket. We got it fixed for 180 bucks, including an
oil change.