Auto dimming mirror with compass installed! [Archive] - Pontiac G6 Forum

: Auto dimming mirror with compass installed!

CACTIDEVIL
04-17-2006, 09:57 AM
I posted some pics of the mirror and wiring install points at my new cardomain page. Here is the link.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2326733

On the mirror, there are 2 wires. The one that is black with a red stripe, goes to a key on +, the one that is solid black goes to a ground. On the passenger side of the console, there is a pop off panel, gaining you access to the fuse box. There is a semi-thick green wire (key on) that you can tap in for the hot lead, and to your right of this there are a couple of excellent grounding points(use a 10 mm socket to loosen a nut, put a connector on the ground wire, install on stud, then retighten the nut). I had to take off the passenger side a-pillar trim (remove one screw, then it will pop out, it's held in by two additional clips). The wires tucked up in the headliner nicely. Any questions, let me know.

ragingfish
04-17-2006, 10:32 AM
I would love to do that, but I have onstar. I bought an auto-dim mirror with compass and onstar off ebay, but that crazy gm data bus system or whatnot has made installing it impossible because i can't figure out how to power up the compass and/or auto dim featues...:(

bigbengt67
04-17-2006, 02:10 PM
Very nice! Should be a factory option!

eatech3
04-20-2006, 07:06 AM
I would love to do that, but I have onstar. I bought an auto-dim mirror with compass and onstar off ebay, but that crazy gm data bus system or whatnot has made installing it impossible because i can't figure out how to power up the compass and/or auto dim featues...:(

What do you want to know. If its a Gentex mirror i can help. Since i work there.

eatech3
04-20-2006, 07:15 AM
Here is my mirror. Notice i lasered G6 into the element on the left side and put a piece of stainless steel behind it. Homelink Dual Display. There is also a pic of my old mirror, but i got sick of the Pontiac symbol.

Interfire
04-21-2006, 12:13 AM
Thats a nice mirror, how much does something like that one cost? I've always wanted the homelink built into it.

eatech3
04-21-2006, 05:09 AM
Thats a nice mirror, how much does something like that one cost? I've always wanted the homelink built into it.

Well we dont sell mirrors to the general public. But you can buy one from http://www.mitocorp.com/flash/homelinkautodimmingmirrors.htm. Looks like you have to call for pricing.

cnagy65
05-08-2006, 12:00 AM
The G6 looks good on there. Im thinking of getting the gentex with just the compass. I wonder if the compass only mirror can be changed to red LED instead of the green.

ragingfish
05-08-2006, 02:37 AM
What do you want to know. If its a Gentex mirror i can help. Since i work there.

Crap, I just saw your reply now. I can't say for sure, but I THINK it IS a Gentex! It's an OEM mirror out of a cadillac I think, the codes on the back read 015322 GNTX-261. Does that mean anything to you?

eatech3
05-08-2006, 04:29 AM
The G6 looks good on there. Im thinking of getting the gentex with just the compass. I wonder if the compass only mirror can be changed to red LED instead of the green.

Yes it can. i have done many.

eatech3
05-08-2006, 04:30 AM
Crap, I just saw your reply now. I can't say for sure, but I THINK it IS a Gentex! It's an OEM mirror out of a cadillac I think, the codes on the back read 015322 GNTX-261. Does that mean anything to you?

Well it tells me its a Gentex mirror. Is it a base (no compass or tempurature), compass, Comp/Temp?

ragingfish
05-08-2006, 08:40 AM
it's an auto dim with compass and onstar capabilities...

eatech3
05-08-2006, 12:38 PM

Pin 13 is ignition. And pin 8 is ground. From the back of the connector. if you have it, it should tell you which pins are which.

Now unless the vehicle is setup for Onstar, it probably wont work. But the autodim and compass will.

cnagy65
05-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Yes it can. i have done many.

Thanks, I will have to look into it when I get it.

ragingfish
05-09-2006, 02:05 AM
Pin 13 is ignition. And pin 8 is ground. From the back of the connector. if you have it, it should tell you which pins are which.

Now unless the vehicle is setup for Onstar, it probably wont work. But the autodim and compass will.

thanks! i do have onstar, which is why i sprung for this particular one. another question: there's a second 4 wire mini white harness coming out the rear of the mirror. (see below) what is that supposed to connect to? and is the compass built into the mirror, or is there supposed to be an additional external part of it? because if so, i'm missing that part. :(

eatech3
08-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Uhhh, yeah thats the wire for the magneto. There is surposed to be a black plastic housing there with the magneto inside, so that means your missing it. With out that the compass will not work. Sorry i took so long, are you still missing the part?

eatech3
08-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Did you get it to work?

-Spazmatic-
08-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Is it easy to take apart the stock rear-view mirror? I have a laser engraver and would like to laser something through the glass, put some of our semi-transparent material in front of it and put a soft LED in there.

eatech3
08-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Yes it is easy to take apart, but be carefull and dont break all the tabs. Plus if your laser is to strong you'll etch the glass and it pretty much looks like crap.

-Spazmatic-
08-19-2006, 02:13 AM
I can control the speed and power of the laser, it won't be a problem. We actually do mirrors here all the time, so I think it'll do a fantastic job on it. I can't wait, I've never thought of that mod before. I'll probably do it on my truck too. How does the auto dimmer work? Will it be affected by my laser?

Also, do you just take a screwdriver and pop it apart or what?

eatech3
08-19-2006, 06:19 PM
No the laser shouldnt effect the dimming.

I just use my fingers, and pull it apart.

-Spazmatic-
08-20-2006, 07:17 AM
Alright, thanks E.

I'll have to do that when I get home today. Better think about what I want on it :)

ctebbe
10-18-2006, 03:40 PM
eatech3,
Do you have the locations of all the connection points for the gentx wiring harness? I have the exact mirror in my 07 G6. How did you remove the pillar trim?, I dont want to set off my side curtain airbags.

Thanks

eatech3
10-19-2006, 08:15 AM
eatech3,
Do you have the locations of all the connection points for the gentx wiring harness? I have the exact mirror in my 07 G6. How did you remove the pillar trim?, I dont want to set off my side curtain airbags.

Thanks

So your wanting to know how to hook the mirror up? And whats the pin outs. I dont have the airbags in the pillar so i just pulled it off, but you could just tuck the wires into the pillar.

ctebbe
10-19-2006, 09:31 AM
eatech3,
I have the install instruction that came with the mirror. It shows what each wire in the mirror wiring harness needs to be connected to but they do not have the locations in my cars wiring harness that i can find backup lights, key on, constant 12V, etc. When I had the mirror installed in my Camaro I was able to make most of the connections behind the drivers side kick panel. I got a color coded diagram off a camaro forum that detailed by color what each wire in my camaros wiring harness was used for, it made the install very easy. Since you have already installed the gentex in your car i thought maybe you would have that info. Thanks.

eatech3
10-19-2006, 02:02 PM
eatech3,
I have the install instruction that came with the mirror. It shows what each wire in the mirror wiring harness needs to be connected to but they do not have the locations in my cars wiring harness that i can find backup lights, key on, constant 12V, etc. When I had the mirror installed in my Camaro I was able to make most of the connections behind the drivers side kick panel. I got a color coded diagram off a camaro forum that detailed by color what each wire in my camaros wiring harness was used for, it made the install very easy. Since you have already installed the gentex in your car i thought maybe you would have that info. Thanks.

Well, the fuse panel is in the center counsol down by your feet. You should see a marking of a fuse. Then i just took a Digital Multimeter and probed around untill I found Battery, and ignition. I never hook up back-up lights because thats too much of a pain. You would have to run the Reverse wire all the way to the back up bulbs(or something like that).

Johns77
10-31-2006, 01:49 AM
Im getting an auto-dimming mirror with temp and compass installed for $300, that includes a 3-year warranty on the mirror. My wifes having it done for me as a xmas gift. :)

Johns77
10-31-2006, 01:50 AM
Here is my mirror. Notice i lasered G6 into the element on the left side and put a piece of stainless steel behind it. Homelink Dual Display. There is also a pic of my old mirror, but i got sick of the Pontiac symbol.

How did you get that G6 logo on there!?!?!

eatech3
10-31-2006, 05:42 AM
How did you get that G6 logo on there!?!?!

With a laser.

Johns77
11-01-2006, 09:16 PM
With a laser.

:eek: ::ENVIOUS::

Johns77
11-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Just got a Gentex20 auto dimming w/temp and compass. It will be about $300 installed.

eatech3
11-27-2006, 05:28 AM
Ouch.

Demon GP
11-27-2006, 10:15 PM
My dad's GMC truck has one of those self dimming mirriors... I love it. Want to put one on the Grand Prix.

Johns77
11-27-2006, 11:42 PM
Ouch.

Well $200 for the unit and about $90 for the install, thats what they cost, not much i can do about it.

supermodulation
05-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Holy old threads.

Has anyone done this mod?

Juliep123
02-27-2010, 04:02 PM

You have one like this? Where can I get one!!?

maykevin5
02-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Your link above for ordering is broken. I'm interested in getting one, but any idea where to start?