2006: speedometer, dash, stereo problems [Archive] - Pontiac G6 Forum

: 2006: speedometer, dash, stereo problems

MaeG
03-21-2013, 12:06 PM
I have a 06 G6 and sometimes while driving or even when starting the car everything on the dash stops working. The speedometer stops working completely, says I'm empty on fuel (even though I have a full tank) and says I have 0 miles on car even though I have likes 83k miles. My blinker lights won't even work on the inside but DO work on the outside of car. So basically everything on the dash quits working. At the same time the stereo will say Locked. While driving it will stay like this for awhile and then randomly start working on its own. If this happens when first getting in car it won't even start. I have to keep taking out key and trying to start it again until the stereo no longer says Locked. Took it to be look at but of course the problem wasn't happening right then so they couldn't see what I was talking about. It doesn't happen all the time but is getting more frequent. Any suggestions or anybody else had this problem that knows the solution???

redbullADDICT
03-21-2013, 12:13 PM
i had a similar problem on my 08 focus. it ended up being a fuse. so you should check both of your fuse panels

MaeG
03-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Do you remember which fuse it was?? I know where my fuse box is but how do you check the fuses to know which one could be the problem?

redbullADDICT
03-21-2013, 01:15 PM
theres two fuse boxes, one obviously is next to your battery and the other is inside the passenger foot well on the left side. just pop that panel off and its right there. the stereo fuse is the inside fuse box but im not sure about the cluster. and to check the fuses just pull them out and look at them. most of your fuses are clear and theres a little metal tap that goes from one side of the fuse to the other. if thats broken or burnt then you need to replace it. there extremely cheap to buy too. theres normally a little fuse puller tool atached to the panels you take off. if its not there just use needle nose pliers

MaeG
03-21-2013, 01:25 PM
Thank you so much for responding! I'm going on a long road trip and was scared that I might have car troubles. I hope it's as simple as just a bad fuse. Would a bad fuse let it work sometimes? Because it is intermittent and works most the time.

greenman
03-21-2013, 04:55 PM
symptoms:
intermittent IPC gauge dropout associated with intermittent crank/no start & DIC message: "Locked"

Sorry, I don't have any simple solution for you. Testing needs to be done. An intermittent issue like that can be tough to isolate. You might consider waiting till the problem gets worse & it becomes easier to find. I can tell you that it is not a fuse issue.

Here's a member with a similar issue but no resolution:
http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10410&highlight=Locked

You might try PM-ing them & ask if they know what fixed this issue in their case. It could help.

mshinall
03-21-2013, 07:25 PM
FYI, there's also a fuse box in the trunk on the left side.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

GM Customer Service
03-22-2013, 09:45 AM
I have a 06 G6 and sometimes while driving or even when starting the car everything on the dash stops working. The speedometer stops working completely, says I'm empty on fuel (even though I have a full tank) and says I have 0 miles on car even though I have likes 83k miles. My blinker lights won't even work on the inside but DO work on the outside of car. So basically everything on the dash quits working. At the same time the stereo will say Locked. While driving it will stay like this for awhile and then randomly start working on its own. If this happens when first getting in car it won't even start. I have to keep taking out key and trying to start it again until the stereo no longer says Locked. Took it to be look at but of course the problem wasn't happening right then so they couldn't see what I was talking about. It doesn't happen all the time but is getting more frequent. Any suggestions or anybody else had this problem that knows the solution???

MaeG,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue with your G6 vehicle. I agree with “greenman” in regards to this concern. This may be related to a connection issue and most likely is not a due to a blown fuse.

I encourage you to have the vehicle inspected by a certified technician for an official diagnosis.

If you need assistance locating a technician near you, please PM me your zip code for a listing.

Louis
GM Customer Service

slls
03-22-2013, 04:09 PM
My first guess would be the electrical part of the ignition switch. When it happens some fuses will not have power, not sure which ones on a G6.