Wheel Bearing & ABS issues [Archive] - Pontiac G6 Forum

: Wheel Bearing & ABS issues

RichO
05-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Hi all!

My wife has a 2006 G6 and loves it, and is disappointed that she will eventually need to get a new car and they don't make them anymore. I certainly wish Pontiac was still around. That's all I ever bought until they shut down.

Anyways, I tried to save her a few bucks by changing out a hub assembly myself, no big deal, something I have done before.

Knowing her car has ABS brakes I purchased the hub with ABS. Well it turned out to be the wrong one so I exchanged it. The original hub had a notched out ring attached to it, which I guess it referred to as a tone ring. Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

Anyways, I removed the ring from the old hub using a putty knife and cleaned it up. I had a hell of a time getting it on the new hub but eventually I managed, and then I used the putty knife to create an even gap all around.

The new hub works fine BUT now the ABS and TC indicators light up on the dash and obviously it has something to do with this ring.

I asked a facebook friend who is a mechanic and he thinks I have the wrong part and wasn't familiar with the ring. There were only 2 types of G6 hub assemblies available and I bought them both so I don't see how I could have gone wrong, especially since the new one matched the original one except for the ring.

http://www.fortunetalent.com/test/DSC05802.jpg

My guess is that the gap needs to be precise like on a spark plug and you need to set it with a feeler gauge. Does this sound right?

I also tried to look and see if I could buy a new one of these and either I don't have the name right or it's very hard to find. As much as I hate to, I may have to take the thing apart again....:mad:

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

greenman
05-27-2013, 11:47 PM
you don't have the right hub. the right hub for an ABS-equipped vehicle comes as an assy with the tone ring...it's plug & play. I'm away from home & can't access the part # for you or I would. it's such a common repair someone here must have it handy.

RichO
05-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Everywhere I look I find the same 2 replacement hubs. None of them have the tone ring already installed. I'm stumped.

CruisinG6
05-28-2013, 09:44 PM
I'm fairly sure those with ABS have the tone ring and sensor inside of the hub. Or at least in the assembly. The only difference you'll see is a wire and plug hanging off of the ABS one.

Like the ring should be just inside the hub like this:
http://www.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imageurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rockauto.co m%2Finfo%2FSKF%2FBR930317-1.jpg

RichO
05-29-2013, 08:04 AM
OK, so you're saying that the hub assembly that I originally bought with the ABS wire is the correct one even though it doesn't match the original one I took out, and I just need to unplug the ABS "reader" that is attached to the chassis and plug in the new hub?

CruisinG6
05-29-2013, 03:57 PM
If the hub you purchased is for your year and trim level G6 and is ABS equipped with the sensor wire attached, then yes it should work. Sometimes new parts supercede the original to function better and they may look different in the process. But yes, swap the part and just unplug the old and plug in the new.

Where did you get the hub from? Maybe check it with other stores if you're unsure.

RichO
05-29-2013, 04:53 PM
I got the original hub from Napa and it was for the correct year & level. Looks like all of the ABS hubs for that year and level look just like the one I have. I will have to pull the wheel off and see if the ABS connector matches the existing one and reaches.

RichO
05-31-2013, 06:32 PM
Well I took everything apart to put in the ABS hub assembly. In doing this, I discovered that part of the old assembly was rusted in place and didn't come out with the rest of the hub.
http://www.fortunetalent.com/test/cap.jpg
Having done this job only twice before I hadn't encountered this and was unaware that it could come apart when removing it.

So it turns out that I was looking at the insides of the old hub assembly when I pulled it off which explains why I could not find a matching part for it.

Kind of funny, but not really because in the process I spent $120 on a part I can't use or return :mad:

CruisinG6
05-31-2013, 09:22 PM
Wow that is crazy... maybe you can sell the not needed part on eBay or something