Replacing rear speakers [Archive] - Pontiac G6 Forum

: Replacing rear speakers

stahlight
10-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Would anyone be so kind as to post some instructions for replacing the two rear 6x9 speakers on a G6 GTP coupe? I just bought some Rockford Fosgate Punch 6x9's and it doesnt look like the factory speaker setup is very user friendly. Any help would be most appreciated!

the_great_m
10-14-2006, 07:00 PM
I just looked at mine today (i own a 06 gt, dont know if its the same), but when the seats are down there are, i think, 4 bolts that you would have to remove to get the the rear deck. Speakers shouldn't be a problem after that.

G6~Mike
10-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Rear speaker removal is easier if you don't have side curtain airbags. You have to remove the frame for the rear seat backs and remove the trim on the rear pillars. After you do that the deck will come out. I probably spent 3 hours on mine. My speakers didn't fit the plastic that the OEM's were in so I had to file them down until they fit.

stahlight
10-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Thank you guys, I am now cursing GM for their complications. C'mon guys, make it simple!

Interfire
10-22-2006, 07:52 PM
What fun would that be? :)

GTPGuy82
11-02-2006, 06:55 PM
I got as far as removing all the bolts and the seats, and for the life of me I couldn't get the deck out. It kept hitting the rear window and there was no room to get it out.

G6~Mike
11-02-2006, 09:51 PM
I got as far as removing all the bolts and the seats, and for the life of me I couldn't get the deck out. It kept hitting the rear window and there was no room to get it out.

You must remove the trim around the rear posts and even then its a pretty tight fit if you have head curtain airbags. I would never do it again unless I had to replace a blown speaker. The worst part about the whole process was having my face about 6 inches from the airbag while prying the deck past all the sensors and gas chamber for the airbags. :(

GTPGuy82
11-04-2006, 07:27 PM
I don't have the curtain air bags, and I had the trim off the rear pillars. Ah well I'll have to have another go at it on my day off.

stahlight
11-28-2006, 02:56 PM
I did it!
I replaced the rear speakers. You have to take the real pillar trim off and then its quite easy. Except that it's a little cramped in the back of a coupe.

Still there's more work to be done (custom deck with amp, etc) but its not too terrible if you have the space to pull it all out and a good source of light.

G6 GTP now with Rockford Fosgate P1694C punch speakers.
We'll see how this one evolves.

macgyver
12-04-2007, 07:39 PM
I had just bought my G6 /6 cd changer w/6 speakers...Thinking 'bout changing out the rear speakers.Is this going to sound better or am I better off not doing it at all.It really doesn't seem to have any brillance or clarity to the stereo.I'm just wondering if I invest in new rear speakers if it will help?

Hambone
12-12-2007, 06:05 PM
I did it!
I replaced the rear speakers. You have to take the real pillar trim off and then its quite easy. Except that it's a little cramped in the back of a coupe.

Still there's more work to be done (custom deck with amp, etc) but its not too terrible if you have the space to pull it all out and a good source of light.

G6 GTP now with Rockford Fosgate P1694C punch speakers.
We'll see how this one evolves.

Can you tell a difference with the stock stereo and the new speakers?

chsmith85
12-18-2007, 07:43 PM
have u by chance attempted to get the front door panels off a GTP im trying to install some new 6 1/2 Focal V2's i just got and it's being a pain...