Keyless Entry/Remote Start question [Archive] - Pontiac G6 Forum

: Keyless Entry/Remote Start question

maddyfan171
02-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Hello,

I just bought a G6 and love it. I bought it used an 06 V6 standard model. I did not receive the keyless entry remote. So I thought I would just go purchase a remote starter with keyless entry. After doing some research I discovered some G6's come standard with a remote starter. How can I find out if my car has the remote starter already installed?

Also, anyone know where I can download a pdf of the owners manual?

Thanks

superjay
03-01-2008, 07:48 AM
You could go to your dealership and get them to pull up an RPO list from their vehicle inquiry system and see if ya got it ... a good service advisor should be able to tell ya no problem

vargas37
03-01-2008, 10:10 AM
If you give the last 8 digits of the vin,i can tell you if can work.

WhoaThereBigFella
03-02-2008, 07:49 AM
If you are signed up at www.mygmlink.com you should be able to download an owners manual. I haven't tried downloading one but I see the link there all the time.

maddyfan171
03-02-2008, 07:03 PM
If you give the last 8 digits of the vin,i can tell you if can work.

Thanks! Here are the 8 digits:

98bonneville
03-07-2008, 07:56 PM
I have a 1998 Bonneville and my manual says that it may have keyless entry hardware installed, but I bought it used and don't know how to tell. Is there something visible that will give it away?

whiteg6
05-19-2008, 05:57 PM
I just bought a certified used 2007 G6. From what I can tell I made a good choice in buying this car. I'm a little confused though, I can tell that it's not the value leader trim, but it's not a GT either. I looked on a web site to c how much horsepower my car was supposed to come with. It has a 3.5 V6 but one review site said there were two 3.5's and it listed the both of them with in the 2 and 250 range. Is this true or not would really want to know this info. How can I tell?

Fusion
05-20-2008, 02:44 PM
I just bought a certified used 2007 G6. From what I can tell I made a good choice in buying this car. I'm a little confused though, I can tell that it's not the value leader trim, but it's not a GT either. I looked on a web site to c how much horsepower my car was supposed to come with. It has a 3.5 V6 but one review site said there were two 3.5's and it listed the both of them with in the 2 and 250 range. Is this true or not would really want to know this info. How can I tell? DOUBLE POST!

BudmanTom
05-27-2008, 07:22 PM
I just bought a certified used 2007 G6. From what I can tell I made a good choice in buying this car. I'm a little confused though, I can tell that it's not the value leader trim, but it's not a GT either. I looked on a web site to c how much horsepower my car was supposed to come with. It has a 3.5 V6 but one review site said there were two 3.5's and it listed the both of them with in the 2 and 250 range. Is this true or not would really want to know this info. How can I tell?

I think it's right @ 210hp.

Earl Flynn
06-02-2008, 12:52 PM
If you don't have the keyless entry remote, I don't think you will be to get a factory installed system. At least this is what the Service tech at Art Moran Pontiac told me when I tried to get one for my 2007 Grand Prix that I just got rid of

Asp86
02-09-2009, 08:35 PM
I just was reading through the manual for a little extra knowledge. I have a remote key-less entry remote that doesn't have the starter. In the manual it says that some don't come with the remote, but it is available and may already be setup for use with your car. If your remote has a "+" on the back of it, your car already has the remote start feature available. All you need to do is go to your dealer and have them give you the remote that has the remote start feature on it.

maddyfan171
02-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the info ASP86.

maddyfan171
02-10-2009, 04:47 PM
If your remote has a "+" on the back of it, your car already has the remote start feature available. All you need to do is go to your dealer and have them give you the remote that has the remote start feature on it.

i don't have the remote however my key does have the "+" symbol in 2 locations. 1 on the black casing and the other "+" symbol is on the key itself. does this mean then all i need to do is go to the dealer and get a new remote?

Asp86
02-14-2009, 09:50 PM
i don't have the remote however my key does have the "+" symbol in 2 locations. 1 on the black casing and the other "+" symbol is on the key itself. does this mean then all i need to do is go to the dealer and get a new remote?

I just purchased the remote start remote off of ebay for $21.95. GM sells them through dealerships for about $150. So try ebay before you go to your dealership so you don't waste $100+ on a remote.

mkotrba2
02-23-2009, 02:51 AM
No the plus symbols on the key is actually the anti-theft chip. Someone finally figured out how to integrate it into the key without the bulk of it exposed. I'm currently looking into installing factory keyless entry myself.

From what I understand, if car does not come with factory keyless entry, then service people tell you that your out of luck. However, I believe all that needs to be done is installing the keyless entry module and having a tech reprogram the computer. My uncle is a service manager at a GM service center so I'll try to clarify everything.

BCR410
03-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Hello everyone,

I am interested in putting in 8500k hid xenon lights, but not sure if its legal in nys.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me ?:)

luckyedboy66
04-29-2009, 01:54 PM
No the plus symbols on the key is actually the anti-theft chip. Someone finally figured out how to integrate it into the key without the bulk of it exposed. I'm currently looking into installing factory keyless entry myself.

From what I understand, if car does not come with factory keyless entry, then service people tell you that your out of luck. However, I believe all that needs to be done is installing the keyless entry module and having a tech reprogram the computer. My uncle is a service manager at a GM service center so I'll try to clarify everything.

Bump

were you able to find anything out? my key has the + on it and i would love keyless entry! anyone have anymore info?

GeeSix06
04-29-2009, 03:27 PM
My 2006 G6's remote starter does not work anymore. Does anyone else have this problem?? I will lock the car twice and hold the button for 2+ seconds like the dealer told me, but the parking lights just flash and the car will not start. any ideas???? :confused:

TheGuyz
04-29-2009, 04:26 PM
My 2006 G6's remote starter does not work anymore. Does anyone else have this problem?? I will lock the car twice and hold the button for 2+ seconds like the dealer told me, but the parking lights just flash and the car will not start. any ideas???? :confused:

Not sure if a FUSE but possible, have you tried replacing batteries as may be too weak of signal to start but lock/unlock enough.

GeeSix06
04-29-2009, 06:57 PM
I use my "second" remote fob presently. I never used it till this year, just the other one which I believe is dead.

I hope it's something that simple....I can't afford to fix!

maddyfan171
04-29-2009, 10:24 PM
I just purchased the remote start remote off of ebay for $21.95. GM sells them through dealerships for about $150. So try ebay before you go to your dealership so you don't waste $100+ on a remote.

Cool, mind telling me what brand you purchased. Also, how much did it cost to have it installed?

luckyedboy66
04-30-2009, 09:28 PM
I use my "second" remote fob presently. I never used it till this year, just the other one which I believe is dead.

I hope it's something that simple....I can't afford to fix!

have you tried changing the battery? its quite simple, just take a small flat screwdriver and pry it apart. replace the CR2032 battery (found at radioshack), and you should be set. assuming its a dead battery of course.

KP1
07-31-2009, 08:26 AM

Any definitive answer on this issue?

mkotrba2
08-02-2009, 11:30 AM
I have started a thred specifically for those who do not have keyless entry and want it factory installed. So far, not possible. I have not given my hope up yet though. I get a lot of pull at the dealership since my uncle is the director of the service department so I get to mess with all the equipment to get it to work. here is the link for the thred: http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4819 (http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4819)

I added alittle on there for people that have keyless entry but not factory remote start. I will too be addressing that issue within the next week or so.

jpdepucci
11-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Hey Maddyfan -
I also bought me a used 2006 and received only 1 key and no keyless remote.
How funny - I named my car G--

There's a great site - (not ebay) that you can purchase keyless remotes from cheaper than on ebay and do not have to pay the inflated shipping costs or bid for the price.
It's also a great site for discount blank keys.

I could of got a keyless remote for 17 bucks but opted for the remote with the remote starter button. (29.00) After taking it to the dealer - The ACM module does not have that option for remote start - for my vehicle anyway. But the remote hood and keyless entry works great - got it programmed at the dealer for 25 bucks along with the spare key cut and programmed, in which I paid 17 bucks for the blank.

If anyone is interested, please let me know and I'll email you the web site. Unsure of posting it here.

machine
11-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Ok, so I am trying my best to understand all of this and apply it to situation. I have an 06 G6 with power locks, etc. On my key I have the '+' sign, and on the dash I have that little black bubble that blinks when the car is locked...

SO, does this mean i can get keyless entry? Or even remote start?

maddyfan171
11-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Hey Maddyfan -
I also bought me a used 2006 and received only 1 key and no keyless remote.
How funny - I named my car G--

There's a great site - (not ebay) that you can purchase keyless remotes from cheaper than on ebay and do not have to pay the inflated shipping costs or bid for the price.
It's also a great site for discount blank keys.

I could of got a keyless remote for 17 bucks but opted for the remote with the remote starter button. (29.00) After taking it to the dealer - The ACM module does not have that option for remote start - for my vehicle anyway. But the remote hood and keyless entry works great - got it programmed at the dealer for 25 bucks along with the spare key cut and programmed, in which I paid 17 bucks for the blank.

If anyone is interested, please let me know and I'll email you the web site. Unsure of posting it here.

Thanks for the info. Would love to know the website. I need an extra blank key.

jpdepucci
11-05-2009, 05:51 AM
Hi Maddyfan - hope this is not considered spam. Just trying to save the people money here.

world wide web remotesandkeys dot com

KB G6
11-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Seems legit to me.

I personally bought mine on ebay and had them programmed by a dealer. Everything worked out fine.

KP1
11-07-2009, 05:20 AM
Somehow, this thread has gotten off track.

We all know that if you have a car that was optioned with remote locks, you can buy the remotes and have them programmed at the dealer.

What we're trying to establish here is a method to add remote lock/unlock on a car that was not optioned with any remote from the factory. We need to find the part(s) that must be added to a car and the programming that must be added, if it is possible.

Can we get back to that?

bimmer83
02-10-2010, 07:45 PM
This was a waste of a thread, I have gained nothing on the above topic..

Someone needs to hit the reset button on this one =(

How can we add factory remote start to a G6 without it or find out if it is already installed and needs a new keyfob.

Thanks

G6owner07
09-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Please send me the website for the remotes and keys thankyou !!!

marlin60
09-04-2010, 08:20 PM

How can we add factory remote start to a G6 without it or find out if it is already installed and needs a new keyfob.

Thanks
My 06 G6 came with keyless entry fob no remote start button on it. I couldn't get a consensus on an answer either so I just brought it to a local company who set me up with a new fob with remote starter button plus all the original functions. Now it remote starts, not sure if they used the factory remote start chip or added a new set up. It now has a button that unlocks the doors and trunk with one button and all the original features. The factory fob also still works. Whole set up with programming was $199. The system was made by Compustar.

mkotrba2
09-04-2010, 11:57 PM

Thanks

Call the parts dept at a dealership and give them your VIN number. They can tell you. Also, the back of the keyfob should have a plus on it if the car has remote start ready.

bay_city_guy
12-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Hi folks, yes it is possible to add an GM OEM Remote Starter to your G6, however, the car must have the RPO code AP8 on it.
The part number for the Basic Remote start is:

Part Number: 17800737
Brand: GM
RPO code AP8 equipped vehicles Remote Start / Power Lock Upgrade

Additional Information
Compatible only w/ RPO code AP8 equipped vehicles for Remote Start/ Power Lock Upgrade. Vehicle must also have automatic transmission. Kit contains two transmitters and vehicle label.

VCI programming required to upgrade Remote Start system.

Your Price: 188.37
With Installation: 224.37

A2-way Advanced with an LCD screen is also available that can monitor tire pressure, oil life, fuel level and more, but it also considerably more expensive.

Part Number: 17802069
Brand: GM
2-Way Advanced Remote Start (w/ RPO Code AP8)

Additional Information
2-way technology and a convenient display screen shows the vehicles current status (locked or remote-start engaged, for instance) and critical vehicle data, including tire air pressure, fuel level, odometer and theft alarm status. This fob offers greater operating range then the factory keyless entry system, and can control a second, ARSS-equipped vehicle.

Your Price: 241.50
With Installation: 355.50

Remote start package only includes one remote key fob.

These are both direct from GM. Most GM Vehicles since 2004 that have keyless entry also have the ability for remote start-the technology is already in the keyless module. It is just a matter of programming by a tech. to make it work. And no, you can not get an after-market fob or 1 from a junkyard and expect it to work.

What happens is that when you purchase the unit from your local GM dealer, the tech. sends the digital receipt & your vehicle's VIN# to GM, and GM assigns a special software update to the tech to download into your car's BCM module. GM will NOT send the download to the Dealership/Tech. until they receipt the unit has been paid paid for-they won't do it for scrapped or after-market remotes.

Anyway, as a Sales Consultant at a Chevrolet dealership, I have access to all official/OEM parts & accessories, and yes even for Pontiac's, and I would be happy to help all you with your G6 needs.

Here's is the GM Accessory website through my dealership site if you'd like to see what's available for yourself:

http://www.gm.oeaccessories.com/graffbaycity/

And yes, I have an '08 G6 GT & I love it

Wheeljack
09-21-2011, 07:38 PM
do 05 g6 gt's come with remote start standard?

bbisesi525
11-01-2011, 08:40 PM
I have a 2007 g6 and it came with a remote with an automatic start button but it doesn't start up when I push it.what should I do?the remote itself works its just for starting it up automatically that doesn't work.

jts08g6
11-01-2011, 08:46 PM
you have to hit the lock button and thrn hold down the remote start button (if you didnt already know)

JT

bbisesi525
11-02-2011, 05:13 AM
Thank you so much that worked!! Someone told me to hit the unlock button and then hit the starter button but what you told me to do worked lol

jts08g6
11-02-2011, 06:41 AM
No problem. (the directions are on the back of the oem remote along with the battery size when you need to replace it. It also has the part number, I bought a secondary oem key fob for $22 off ebay compared to $100 the dealer charges)

JT

PeaceLoveandG6
06-18-2012, 01:54 PM
If you look on your radio screen, and click the button "info" and flip through the options, it will either say "remote start: on" or "off". If this isn't an option, then most likely your G6 didn't come equipped with it.

Mine came equipped but my remote start doesn't work. I heard the factory starters suck anyway. They usually go out quickly and don't have a very long range, you basically have to be standing right next to the car to get it to work. :/

Hopefully this helps.

copperkid
06-18-2012, 02:05 PM
I can confirm the terrible range.

If I am in an open parking lot I can maybe get ~60 feet...A friend with an aftermarket starter kit, easily got >150ft.

eo-933
07-27-2012, 01:36 AM
that sucks it was a $150 option when I bought the car, already installed. The range is pretty far though.

-------------------------

Gafas De Sol 2012 (http://www.gafassol-carrera.com)

ineedmygtp
12-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread but I have keyless that works great and I recently called the dealer to run my vin to see if I had remote start and low and behold they told me my car doesn't have keyless or remote start! But I clearly have 100% factory original keyless and my fobs have the + on the back..... So now explain that!

ineedmygtp
12-05-2012, 01:12 PM
It's a 06 gtp coupe by the way

Rahtof
12-06-2012, 11:37 AM
My GTP has a manual transmission and I have to put the shifter into Reverse in order to get the key out. Unless I did some did some hard core rewiring, I will not be able to get remote start on it.

Not sure if this is labeled on your switch or not. Just thought I would throw my .02 cents around.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

CruisinG6
12-08-2012, 12:11 AM
Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread but I have keyless that works great and I recently called the dealer to run my vin to see if I had remote start and low and behold they told me my car doesn't have keyless or remote start! But I clearly have 100% factory original keyless and my fobs have the + on the back..... So now explain that!

I believe that functionality can be added into the BCM. Maybe that's how you got it? Do you still have the window sticker that came with the car. It'll say it in there as an option I believe. There's also a site where u can enter your vin and get a free printout. Its not a carfax, but it lists your options and rpo codes. I think its www.compnine.com

CruisinG6
12-08-2012, 12:14 AM
My GTP has a manual transmission and I have to put the shifter into Reverse in order to get the key out. Unless I did some did some hard core rewiring, I will not be able to get remote start on it.

Not sure if this is labeled on your switch or not. Just thought I would throw my .02 cents around.

Sure you can have a remote start. Just gotta bypass the clutch switch and make sure its in neutral with the e-brake up. Unless you can't pop it into neutral without the key, which could probably be solved with another bypass.

Rahtof
12-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Well, all that wiring is beyond my expertise. Lol. And it would cost too much to have that professionally done. I will just be content with a cold car for the first 5 minutes going to work.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

dainariane1379
02-12-2014, 09:18 PM
If you don't have the keyless entry remote, I don't think you will be to get a factory installed system. At least this is what the Service tech at Art Moran Pontiac told me when I tried to get one for my 2007 Grand Prix that I just got rid of.

C0RSA1R
02-18-2014, 11:26 AM
I can confirm the terrible range.

If I am in an open parking lot I can maybe get ~60 feet...A friend with an aftermarket starter kit, easily got >150ft.

My factory remote start works from over 300 feet away, through building glass and other cars, from the third floor of my building. I use it every day about five minutes before I leave work. I park my car about 250-350 feet (depending on what spot I find) away from the BASE of my building, and then from the third floor, behind glass on the inside, I can start my car easily. :D No aftermarket system on my car - it's all stock from the factory. Maybe the GXP model has more range, but I doubt it.

Of course, I also bought new batteries for my keyfob after I re-soldered the battery holder back in place on the internal circuit board (using directions I found on this site, no less). :cool:

Oh, and it also worked through the driving, 2"/hr snowfall we had yesterday afternoon in Chicagoland - and that parking spot was one of the further ones I've gotten recently (though not quite the furthest).

BMET
04-18-2014, 12:20 AM
I was looking around on here because my girlfriends 2006 G6 GT remotes would not unlock her car. Read all kinds of B.S. and figured out that the K.I.S.S. principle was in order. Before buying anything look around your house. Find your aluminum foil and crazy glue. Cut a piece of foil the size of the button on the backside of your rubber cover. Cut out a tiny piece of foil the size of the button and glue it on there. She now has two working remotes and didn't spend a dime. Hope this helps someone because i had to sign up just to post this. You wanna work on something that's a real pain and complicated try a Jaguar. LOL what a pain in the backside.