Starting Struggle [Archive] - Pontiac G6 Forum

: Starting Struggle

Robyn P
09-13-2005, 07:39 AM
Usually at least once a week my G6 GT acts like it's struggling to start. I have taken it to the dealership and they reprogrammed the computer and it is still doing it. Has anyone else experienced this problem? :confused:

otcpharm
09-13-2005, 09:37 AM
Yup. Cranks twice as long as normal and sounds like the engine is refusing to "catch".

G6 Girl
09-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Same problem here...hubby (mechanic) says it's a typical problem with this starter set-up. Oh well! I just turn the ignition off and try it again...usually works.

MP2
09-13-2005, 12:43 PM
I've noticed this too a couple times so it must not be limited to the 3500's. I seem to have eliminated it (so far) by turning the key to acc and letting it sit there for a few seconds before I turn it to start. Gives the fuel pump time to prime. So far it seems to have gone away.

otcpharm
09-13-2005, 07:37 PM
I had the same thing happen from time to time with my 3.1L Malibu, so I'd agree that it's not limited to the 3.5.

Robyn P
09-14-2005, 10:00 AM
I've noticed this too a couple times so it must not be limited to the 3500's. I seem to have eliminated it (so far) by turning the key to acc and letting it sit there for a few seconds before I turn it to start. Gives the fuel pump time to prime. So far it seems to have gone away.

Thanks, I'll try this. At this point I'll try anything because it's really embarrassing!!

S8ER99
09-29-2005, 10:13 AM
that happens all the time to my car when I use the remote start.

rwbooth
10-10-2005, 05:46 PM
Yup,

Happened to me today in the GTP. Seems to work the second start attempt though.

ecaldera
11-02-2005, 02:57 PM
I just made an appt. to bring my G6 in with that starting problem! Noticed that it's rough putting the key in sometimes - I see black dust, in the grooves of the key - maybe it's dirty inside, on top of the ignition/starter problem - really hope it's not going to be a recurrent thing - car is barely 6 months old.

S8ER99
11-02-2005, 04:09 PM
you're in for a fun ride :) My catches really hard sometimes and then it sounds like it wants to die. 2 ~ 3 times a week. Im just dealing with it.

Robyn P
11-03-2005, 06:52 AM
I'm just dealing with mine as well, since it doesn't do it all the time it's hard for the dealership to duplicate the problem. They reset my computer but that didn't fix it, but at least they tried. :rolleyes:

S8ER99
11-03-2005, 07:02 AM
This is kinda funny... i started my car as i was leaving work last night and walked to the car. Then I put the key in and turned it (while still running) and it stumbled and died. Score.

After I started it up again it was idling pretty rough. No clue what that was all about.

jpmodom
08-20-2006, 07:42 PM
Mine did the same thing. I put some bad ass inj cleaner in and it stopped doing it.

White Wolf
08-20-2006, 11:53 PM
Mine has done this in the past and on occasion recently. As someone stated it mostly is happening for them during remote start.

Next time you get in your car make sure your radio and a/c are off, not because of the issue because of the noise. Then when you turn your key to the on position you will hear the fuel pump running. My theory, and it is just that, it has not fully primed the system to enable a full start. I know my car does that on occasion with remote start. It has also done it when it has been sitting for any length of time as well not start for a day or two.

On the odd occasion that it does it when the engine is semi-warm or just started and turned off it might be a hard start because of flooding. All items that can be corrected with a computer update and sensor setting.

Again these are just theories from my own expirences and car, take them for that and with a grain of salt as I am not an auto mechanic. :D

Cheers!

Wolfie

slls
08-21-2006, 10:22 AM
It seemed to have started with the 1 line fuel system.

Rodeoguy94@yahoo.com
08-27-2006, 04:42 PM
I have the 3.5 L and every once and a while it well take twice as long as it should to start. It sounds like the car is cranking but not getting gas. It mostly does it when I remote start the car. I also live in AZ and it gets to be around 110 degrees here. The dealership says sometimes the gas in the lines evaporates and the fuel pump has to push more fuel threw the line. When I start the car with the key I have had very few problems.

sleepless
08-31-2006, 02:46 PM
The G6 has a start ass, wich means that if the computer thinks your car will not start after you let go of the key, the computer will keep starting until the car is runing. When this is going on it does sound rough.

Lucius
09-01-2006, 04:16 PM
The G6 has a start ass, wich means that if the computer thinks your car will not start after you let go of the key, the computer will keep starting until the car is runing. When this is going on it does sound rough.

Yeah, this is basically what the repair guys at the dealership told me when I took it in for an oil change. It happens to me, but rarely. They said another car has been like this for a while, maybe the Grand Prixs, I don't remember.

built4drivers
09-01-2006, 05:44 PM
What's most interesting is that all the cars I've driven with remote start strugles have been on the Epsilon platform (Malibu's, G6's). My G6 4-cyl did this too, maybe 40% of the time it actually worked the first shot, and 60% the second attempt. Now all the Delta platform cars that I've driven, including the Chevy HHR I currently own, have NEVER had a remote start struggle/problem! That leads me to believe there's something in the software on Epsilon's that's not quite tweaked properly. Since it happened every now and again with the key too, it's hard to say whether it's the auto-start logic or possibly the design of the fuel system that's allowing a substantial amount of drainback into the tank. The orientation of the car (level, on hill nose up or nose down) doesn't seem to have any effect on when the problem occurs.

2LO2TOW
09-01-2006, 07:11 PM
Mine does it too (not using the remote start) along with a bunch of other problems. I am NOT very happy with my G6.

Besides it struggling to start 40% of the time, It also dies while i'm driving, or stopped. At one point, I was on a highway and it shut off by itself. I had to stop in the middle of the highway, put it in park and restart it. Very dangerous.

Also, i'm always getting loud static noise in my speakers or else the sound just doesn't work.

I've taken it into the dealership 3 times and they can not find the problem. I now have a "black box" hooked up to the computer so whenever the problem arises, I hit a button and it records what the car is doing at that point.

Brafly
09-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Same here on my 2006 G6 GTP Coupe, manual transmission....I'd say it occurs one out of every 10 starts....just turn the key off and try again, all is well on the second attempt.

coupe_gtp
09-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Just to add my two cents in about this problem. My car used to do the same exact thing but since I have gotten my tune it hasn't done it once at all since I have gotten it done

Thinkmoto
10-15-2007, 04:31 AM
I had my wifes car looked at for this problem. The dealership found the pressure regulator was flaky in the tank. They where getting flaky fuel pressure readings. i know gm 1/2 ton pickups with the 5.3L are notorious for having failing pressure regulators(my 2000 silverado did the same thing)
Personally if your mechanic or dealer tells you its normal or deal with it tell them bye bye and find a new dealer that will actually troubleshoot the problem. The car sat at the dealer all day when they found that problem and a few others.

pawnlover
10-16-2007, 12:47 AM
check for busted starter or spark plug. if not, give it a hard start. if all else fails, replace starter or spark plug. :beer:

Thinkmoto
10-24-2007, 06:00 AM
Car is in the shop today getting pressure regulator replaced intermediate steering shaft replaced and something else can't remember.

Thinkmoto
10-31-2007, 05:36 AM
Fuel pump pressure regulator was replaced no starting problems yet. Intermediate steering shaft and power steering module replaced. Steering is no normal. This past weekend we looked at a 06 GP GXP stealer let us keep it for the weekend. Sweet car had everything but dvd nav. Tooo bad stealer wouldn't budge on the price...oh well as long as the G6 runs well and continue to fall apart it'll stay.

CharlesP2009
02-10-2008, 07:22 PM
I've regularly had this issue also. Both with my 2003 Grand Am and my 2005 G6 GT. With the Grand Am I just figured it was due to the aged battery not providing quiet enough juice to start up right away but with the G6 seems like it might have to due with the fuel pump priming up. The G6 does it most frequently when I drive the car somewhere, shut it off, then start it back up shortly after (for example, stopping at the post office -- the car will be off for 5 minutes or so and will somewhat struggle to get going again). I call it the Warm Engine Syndrome.

Although it's a bit embarrassing for me, the G6 has never failed to start, it just takes a lot of cranking to get going sometimes. My hypothesis is that the fuel pump takes time to get fuel back up to the engine.

One time, on a cool night of about 40 degrees I used the remote start and the car took about 15 seconds to start. It just keep cranking and cranking and when it did start a puff of smoke came out of the tailpipe. That is the worst I've seen but I was impressed that the car didn't quit and did manage to start itself after all that. This again was with my Warm Engine Syndrome.

I don't know if the car ever has trouble with a cold engine, I usually remote start the car from a distance, like when I'm inside my apartment, and it'll always been running when I get outside.

daygon
02-10-2008, 10:41 PM
haha ... yeah i guess i'll be like the rest of you guys and say that it has happened on my G6 ... sometimes it does twice in a row ... don't see a big problem ... it's annoying sometimes when i try to start my car from the appartment using remote start and i don't know if it started or not ...

BuddyBuilder
09-03-2008, 09:16 PM
BUMP

Same problem with my 06 G6 with the 3.5. Has anyone pinpointed this problem to the fuel pressure regulator, bad plugs, or starter? I took it to the dealership and they said its normal, it will continue cranking til it starts. This is happening about once a week and starting to piss me off.

BuddyBuilder
09-05-2008, 02:46 PM
anyone?

edwardsdalejr
09-10-2008, 01:52 PM
I have this problem frequently where it conitnually cranks and then stops but if you turn the key off and back on again it starts. I already replaced the battery because the dealership insisted the battery was the problem but don't see a battery needing replaced after just two years.

davidmoore714
10-26-2008, 03:37 PM
I've had my '06 G6 for two days now. Went out to dinner last night and tried to use remote start leaving the restaurant. The starter ran for almost 20 seconds and the engine didn't catch. I got in and started it with the key, and the starter ran for another 10 seconds. Second crank I gave it some gas and it finally turned over and ideled rough for a few seconds before it calmed down.

From reading this post, it sounds like everyone is having relatively similar problems but there's not a widely accepted solution. Just a bunch of theories. I want to take it to the dealership to have it checked out. What should I tell them to look for?

Again... I have to ask... did I buy a Lemon?

coupe_gtp
10-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Just buy a tune for your car from vector and the problem will go away heh. At least for me it did.

xgibbyx
10-27-2008, 07:49 AM
The general consensus, which makes the most sense, is that the fuel pump needs a few seconds to prime.

For remote start, I would just attempt a 2 second start, wait about 10 seconds, then do a full start and I bet that would lessen your problem.

Lemon? I'm not sure...have you had other problems?

scottycruz
10-27-2008, 08:21 AM
i also have this problem. sometimes it takes twice as long to start or not start at all. then i try it again and it starts.

davidmoore714
10-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Lemon? I'm not sure...have you had other problems?

I'm also experiencing the popping/rattling issue with my steering that several other G6 owners have complained about. Its VERY frustrating, considering I bought the car just 3 days ago.

It sounds like both the steering and starter issues are prevalent among G6 owners, even those who bought their cars new. I gotta tell ya... if I had found this forum and read all this stuff before Friday, I would NOT have bought this car.

xgibbyx
10-28-2008, 07:37 AM
As much as I love America and to buy things from home...our engineers pretty much suck - that or it's out Quality Control sector. I dunno.

Sport Red G6
11-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Yep same problem here. It freaked me out the first time It happened. I never have problems with it when using the remote start. Only when I use the key. It usually is about once every 10th start

maykevin5
12-09-2008, 02:36 PM
I've had my '06 G6 for two days now. Went out to dinner last night and tried to use remote start leaving the restaurant. The starter ran for almost 20 seconds and the engine didn't catch. I got in and started it with the key, and the starter ran for another 10 seconds. Second crank I gave it some gas and it finally turned over and ideled rough for a few seconds before it calmed down.

From reading this post, it sounds like everyone is having relatively similar problems but there's not a widely accepted solution. Just a bunch of theories. I want to take it to the dealership to have it checked out. What should I tell them to look for?

Again... I have to ask... did I buy a Lemon?

My GTP does the same. I think that its not the fuel, but the coil pack. You say that it cranks and cranks and finally starts and runs rough as if it were flooded. I think it was cranking gas into the cylinders with no spark then when you get spark its flooded and runs rough.

KB G6
12-10-2008, 04:58 AM
In my experience I've only had a problem starting once. I thought I heard the engine catch but when I tried to back out had no power and when I tried to start it up again it took a little bit of gas and about 5 seconds to start.

I've had no problems at all with the remote start not catching...again maybe just my luck