Any 2006 G6's with problems out there? [Archive] - Page 2 - Pontiac G6 Forum

: Any 2006 G6's with problems out there?

Pages : 1 [2]

Lexie2569
06-09-2011, 07:59 AM
I've had my 06 coupe for about a month. We have recently got a lot of rain here, and I've noticed my seat belts are soaked! There is water marks running down the rear panels too... I found online that there was a recall in 2007 I believe for this problem, but obviously my car didn't make it in to the shop for this. Anyone know how to fix this or how much it would cost?
The wet seat belts do have to do with the sunroof. The drainage tubing is dislodged. the dealer can fix it but it will cost about $125 unless you have some type of extended warranty.

Mike18wheels
06-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Let me see where do I start with my 2006 G6 Gt. I bought it brand new and had all the problems, like squealing brakes, sun visor broke and broke and broke.... Two steering columns replaced, (1) under warranty and (1) under extended warranty. Always had and still has the creeky noise backing out of drivway or starting out from a red light. My favorite problems happened after my 100,000 mile extended warranty expired. Im at 106,000 miles and had to replace a leaking fuel pump, and had to have fuel tank moved to get to it and just last week my Transsmission took a dump, had it rebuilt. I know pontiac brand is now done , but if it were'nt I wouldnt ever buy a Pontiac again. I will stick with ford, like my 2001 Ford F-150, at 157,000 miles and only thing that ever went wrong was the steering box. I have always had the recommended maint done. I regret my wife ever driving a G6 as a rental, because thats when she decide she wanted one. UGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

brinkgirl
06-14-2011, 03:58 PM
anyone have this problem?

I have 06 G6 and I am getting check engine light with the computer saying that it is P0014 code which I guess means cam shaft sensor/ cam exhaust actuator?

changed both cam shaft sensors and it is still not going away

I don't want to list all the problems that I have had with this car as it is too depressing..

if anyone has a solution for me it would be greatly appreciated.

the car jerks forward after each gear shift; it is like someone is rear ending you

thanks

headache have the sam problem replaced the camsensor no goin to replace the cranksensor orther than that might be timing

baseball9734
06-29-2011, 02:27 PM
I have a 2006 pontiac g6 sedan 3.5l v6, and I was wondering what is the maximum height I can have for a sub box to put in the trunk? Crutchfield told me 13", but I think that is wrong because I went and tried to measure the trunks height to the best of my ability and got somewhere around 15". Help asap, much appreciated.

G6Boy
07-08-2011, 08:46 AM
Hello Everyone its been a long time since I visited. So far my 06 Pontiac G6 has been pretty good so far (knock on wood). The last thing I posted was about brake issues, the Pads and Rotors all around were replaced and will be a year old this coming September. No sqeeks or nothing. Only issue I'm finding that is coming back is when turing the steering wheel in slow turns or in parking lot I get a very low tone groaning popping sound also while driving or coming to a stop I occasionally get a pop clank sound, sounds like its coming from the front left can't confirm that though, was thinking it might be from the brake caliper but it isn't cause the noise happens when off the brakes also. Taking the car in the shop in 1 week just to get general serviced and for what I listed above.

whitneyg
07-21-2011, 07:28 AM
I had the vibration problems on my GT, once I got new tires that went away. My problem now is that every time it rains a decent amount my speakers start crackling, and I can't listen to my radio. The last time this happened it was so bad that even when my radio was off my rear speakers were still "bumping." Now my driver side front speakers go in and out.

tmwinke
08-05-2011, 08:44 PM
I have seen many of you with a vibration problem when at highway speeds, but have any of you had a vibration problem when stepping on the brake from going highway speeds. My 06 G6 has a very bad vibration when I step on the brake coming off of the highway or going down hills. It seems to only to it when I'm slowing down from over 40mph. Anything under 40, I do not have any vibration at all. I had a dealer mechanic look at it and said it wasn't the rotors or breaks, but said the lower ball joints were loose. Had another person look at it and said that the ball joints were not loose. I've not 55k miles on the car and non of the mechanics I have just talked to about it have ever heard or seen of the ball joints going out or loosening at that low of mileage. Has anyone else had this happen before I stick that much money getting it fixed?

reverttheclown
08-06-2011, 08:05 AM
what kind of pads do you have tmwinke

muncie
08-06-2011, 05:38 PM
I have a 07 G6 with the 3.5L V6. I have had it for a year and a half now and it has 53,500 miles. I have never had a problem with it until today when my wife went to walmart after leaving she called and said the car wont start. After she waited about 20 minutes she was able to get it started. I came home from work and it would not start again. It will turn over, gauges come on lights etc. when i turn it over the engine cranks twice then nothing and wont turn over until I turn the key back and try again. The gauges jump around after I try turning it over as well. It will do this many times before I give up and try it again, If I wait about a hour it will start but not very well and I have to give it gas? Any one else have this problem or hear of it?

muncie
08-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Yes im the guy who just posted about my car not starting I also have this problem bad vibration when breaking from the 40 mph range. Along with my brake lights coming on while im just driving down the road..... which wont let me use my cruise control. Also my passenger side airbag light comes on and then goes off randomly... All these problems have started to occur within the last month and have just gotten worse..

JennyA
08-06-2011, 07:45 PM
I've had this vibration when I hit the brakes the whole time I've had my G6. Usually it's my rotors. I get them resurfaced and the problem goes away for a little while, then slowly comes back. If I let it go too long, it is the most horrendous shaking imaginable. Cars should not be able to shake like the G6 can shake when you press the brakes. It's the same thing you're talking about - I can be coasting at 40 or 50 mph, and just lightly lay on the brake to slow down, and it shimmies out of control. My steering wheel shakes like mad - actually, it feels like the entire front end of the car is shaking wildly. Weird thing is, if I hold the brake nice and tight, it doesn't shimmy, or it's not nearly as bad. Only if I am lightly touching the brake. Same exact thing going downhill, at even slower speeds. I just took mine in last weekend because of this exact problem, and had the rotors resurfaced, and the problem is gone. But, if you read through my past posts, or wait another month or two for my next post, you'll see that the shaking and shimmying will return again soon. I've dealt with this so much, I've already got my new pair of high-performance rotors purchased, in a box in my garage, just WAITING for this car to finish EATING my current high-performance rotors. The rotors I currently have on my car should have lasted 4 times longer than they have. They're on their last resurfacing now. They should have just probably, maybe had their first resurfacing. Oh yes, and also had to have the car aligned again. that's another good one. It's like a quarterly fee to drive this car - alignment, rotors, brakes... four times a year and you're good to go!

JennyA
08-06-2011, 07:47 PM
muncie -- Doesn't sound like the battery, but have you checked the battery? Because when mine needed a new battery, it did some of the STRANGEST things like this. You never would have thought it was the battery, but it was. And I think it was right around that mileage.

tmwinke
08-07-2011, 07:47 AM
reverttheclown---I just had whatever the factory pads were on there. But I think I have the problem fixed now.

tmwinke
08-07-2011, 07:52 AM
After reading everyone elses' posts, I decided to ignore what the dealership said about it being the ball joints and went ahead and changed the roters and breakpads, even though the dealership said they were still good. After taking off the pads, boy were they wrong!!! I am starting to wonder if they even took the tire off of my car. After I changed the roter and the break pads, my car rides super smooth now!
I'll be sure to watch out for it in the future though, cuz pretty much every other post that I've read says it won't last for long :) THanks all!!!

muncie
08-07-2011, 12:27 PM
I have not tried anything yet really I work 12 hour days Fri-Sunday so I have not had a chance to get my hands on it. I am going to check the battery and terminals and make sure there is no corrosion. My boss also gave me a "spark" tester to see if the control module is sending a spark. I will test and look at both those options tonight and update on if it worked or not. I seem to be reading a lot about this problem on multiple websites and it seems everyone tried something different and some work some dont no one has gave a definte answer as to why this keeps happening.... i will update after I try those things later this evening.

brinkgirl
08-07-2011, 03:58 PM
I found out what wrong with my g6 clunk when turning wheel and slight bump or push wihen driving form a stop. First the wheel turn clunk mechanic said it the bushing or knunkle. And the other is teh motormounts, so having that done will let you know what happens. But any one had this problem do you have and prices on this motor mount thing

buddha41270
08-17-2011, 08:53 PM
I have a 06 GTP coupe with 19,000 miles and have had a problem with the radiator losing fluid enough to put a low coolant warning on my radio. The temp. never goes over the normal levels, but it still uses fluid. It happens in late fall, winter and early spring when the temp. is cold outside. During the summer, nothing. Also had a problem with wet seatbelts, but took it to have service and found out there was a recall on the drain tubes in the sunroof. I also had the clunk when turning the steering wheel. At the above service, I found the front control arms were bent and had them replaced. Other than that, everything is fine.

Dan w g6
08-25-2011, 04:43 PM
I have been reading most of the posts on here and the majority of problems/complaints are with 2005 model year G6's. Anyone notice anything wrong or abnormal with thier 2006 yet? I have about 1000KM's on my 06 GT and do not notice anything except that at freeway speeds I am getting the slight vibration that everyone is talking about. I am going to the dealer Monday to check the balance on all 4 tires, and to double check the tightining of the harmonic balancer, just in case.

I have been having poblems with my automatic transmission, it has been giving shocks after i give it a good ride and the check engine light turns on. Anyone eles knows anything about this???

Dan w g6
08-25-2011, 04:45 PM
There is a re-call on the power steering, ask your mecanic if he says no, go see a dealer ship, thisn is ofr the 2006 model

baseball9734
09-01-2011, 05:56 AM
i have a tsunami hcap 5 hybrid capacitor and i was wondering what size resistor it needs. it came with one but the bulb burnt out before it charged fully?

Firetox
09-01-2011, 01:52 PM
fist thing i had fixed when i got it it was easy to turn left but tough to turn right, dealer re calibrated the steering and no problems

i get road noise and a slight vibration (i can feel it but everyone says I'm crazy) but i think its the tires

when the dash lights come on i sometime have to bump the shifter to get the gear indicator lights to come on so prob loose bulb ill get around to fixing

key fob will not lock the car but thats because the solder is broken and i need to fix it sooner or later

boxerlover1265
09-04-2011, 09:15 AM
i have a 2006 g6 when u turn the key sometime it will start the first time then sometime it takes 15 to 20 times.changed starer and battery what do u think the problem is.

Lampoon
09-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Prolly dirty throttle body (search for that bad boy!) or injectors.

You ever run any $4 injector cleaner in the tank? (Techron)

boxerlover1265
09-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Let me elaborate; it seems all my issues started a few months ago when I took it in for the clunking and hard shifting. First they (dealer) said I didnt have a problem but my computer needed to be updated. They updated, and I still ended up taking back again and guess what they found the clunking issue and fixed it. Shortly after my car wouldnt start would click but no start. We replaced the starter (200.00) and still wont start. Check the battery and yep that fixed it. Now for the past two weeks it starts if its in the mood!! Sometimes, starts first try other times you have to turn the key multiple times. Everything lights up all electronics seem to work as they should when the key is turned. My husband checked for loose wires and has disconnected the battery for a few. Still it wont start. Was thinking possibly a new ignition switch is in order. Hate doing this trial and error stuff but hate taking to the dealer even more!! Help!!

kawierider1990
09-07-2011, 01:47 PM
My transmission went out! Just two days ago! With only 83,xxx miles wtf??? Someone please read my thread and help me please!!!

Dan w g6
09-07-2011, 05:50 PM
I had some troubles with the silinoyed in the transmition it is only a 100$ part, see a gm dealership with this

kawierider1990
09-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Was yours doing the same thing? I don't even have a check engine light on or anything. And park and reverse work fine.

ninorc
09-21-2011, 01:34 PM
I have a 2006 3.9L. Just had an oil change a few weeks ago and it's already a quart low on oil. It's not leaking underneath, no smoke in the exhaust, no oil in the coolant reservoir. Anyone know where it's losing/burning oil?

dudeatjax
09-21-2011, 11:10 PM
I have an 05 Base with the 3.5L. Just bought in June of this year. Occasionally I'll have trouble getting it started. It will turn over a few times and then click for a few seconds and die. Usually the second time I try to start it, it'll start no problem. When it does it, I have to give it gas in order for it to start. I think it may be a fuel delivery issue. Any ideas?

dudeatjax
09-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Also, I can hear a high pitched, almost blow off valve like, whistle when the car up-shifts under hard acceleration...

My cruise control does not activate. The light on the steering wheel comes on, but I can not set. thought maybe it was the brake light issue, took it to the dealer and they said my VIN was not covered in the fix... Sometimes my brake lights will stick on.... I have to put my left foot under the peddle and pull it up to normal position to get them to cut off.

The ABS and Traction Control lights do not light up in the Instrument cluster on start or when activated.... (I think blown bulbs)

My 6CD Radio has a CD changer Error.... it also loses power when accelerating hard around corners from a stop... a couple times it has come back on and has been "LOCKED" and the Security light will illuminate on the instrument cluster.

waterfowler76
09-22-2011, 07:13 AM
^ the brake light problem is usually a switch that need to be replaced, and look into cleaning your throttle body, others have done it and it fixed the same starting problem your having. just search on this fourm youll find info.

dudeatjax
09-22-2011, 10:33 PM
^^^ thanks, im closing tomorrow, ill clean the throttle body and see if that solves the problem. Ill update after.

Jay Dub
09-27-2011, 09:53 AM
:mad:I own a 2009 G6GT. If not the PCM that is causing the bucking when I hit the gas between high 3rd and low 4th gear, then what else can possibly be the problem. And more importantly, why am I being told by my local GM dealer that there are no error codes being displayed on the computer? I'm not making this stuff up; my car kicks (sometimes violently) in between 40 to 55 mph and the Service Department is looking at me like I'm out of my mind. Meanwhile God only knows what kind of damage is being done to my transmission in the process. PLEEEEEASE! If anybody has any clue what else could be causing this, please let me know because sur3e that I'm well on my way to shelling out thousands of dollars on a new tranny in the next 2-3 years.:mad:

Lampoon
09-27-2011, 10:01 AM
3.5?

Check your return line on your stock intake.
Check your whole intake... if everything is connected right
I would clean the MAF.

Maybe pull the battery and put die electric grease on all the ECM/PCM/BCM/TCM plugs.....whatever I could find just to ensure connections are good.

After that with no code I would be at a loss....(other than swapping out ECM's since I have one tuned and one stock) to see if that made a difference.

2009 TCM might be different than my 2005 though. You might ask Chris....(GTPprix)...

G6Boy
10-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Hello Everyone its been a long time since I visited the form hope all is well. I just took my 2006 G6 for a test drive with my mechanic for a very loud clank noise which seems to be coming from the front end. My mechanic clams it could be the Control arm or joints for it. Also this other minor issue was posted on the form from another very helpful person. My rear brake cable anchor pins need to be lubed up again cause if you get a very sharp noticable screech wine noise in the rear thats what causes this. Bringing the car in for service on Monday to figure out the issue and also check other things and get the car ready for the harsh new england winter.

Lexie2569
10-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Hello Everyone its been a long time since I visited the form hope all is well. I just took my 2006 G6 for a test drive with my mechanic for a very loud clank noise which seems to be coming from the front end. My mechanic clams it could be the Control arm or joints for it. Also this other minor issue was posted on the form from another very helpful person. My rear brake cable anchor pins need to be lubed up again cause if you get a very sharp noticable screech wine noise in the rear thats what causes this. Bringing the car in for service on Monday to figure out the issue and also check other things and get the car ready for the harsh new england winter.

If you hear the clank when you're turning have them check the power steering motor.. It's a recall in the G4 & G5 but not the G6. I had to pay $1100 to get mine fixed!

a1606myrsclm
10-11-2011, 06:26 PM
The check engine light came on 2 weeks ago. I took it to one of the parts places in town and the code was p0420 "catalyst effectiveness below treshold Bank 1". He reset it for me. Light came back last week made an appointment with dealer. They called, said the catalytic converter was cracked. They replaced it for free. It is covered under a special policy #10134-250 WP40. I saw the dealer invoice and the part cost for them was $440. Sweet deal, glad I opted to take it to the dealer this time. Hope this helps others to save some cash!

reverttheclown
10-12-2011, 01:32 PM
could be the emissions warranty...that has teh longest lifetime i believe

G6Boy
10-18-2011, 07:35 PM
If you hear the clank when you're turning have them check the power steering motor.. It's a recall in the G4 & G5 but not the G6. I had to pay $1100 to get mine fixed!

Its a very loud clank sort of clank snap noise, but its not loud all the time mostly happens when car is slowing down on occasion. One point It definitely sounded like it was on the drivers side. Know just recently the noise is more heard on the passenger side. It does not by any sort sound or feel like the noise is coming from underneath the steering column or from the center underneath the car. All front end suspension struts and mounts have been replaced, and recently new rotors and pads all around. My mechanic checked and loosened every single NUT, BOLT, JOINTS, MOUNTS, STRUTS, TIE RODS and control arms on the front end and re tighten it all. He things it could be a brake caliper, but as of right know I'm driving the car cause nothing is malfunctioning! And as for this noise happening while turning the steering wheel back and fourth negative.

Shockwave
10-18-2011, 08:26 PM
I have a 06 GTP coupe with 19,000 miles and have had a problem with the radiator losing fluid enough to put a low coolant warning on my radio. The temp. never goes over the normal levels, but it still uses fluid. It happens in late fall, winter and early spring when the temp. is cold outside. During the summer, nothing.

I have noticed this exact same problem just recently with my 07 GT

delfuego
10-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Hey,

Long time since I have been on the site I happened to notice that someone had the same problem with stopping and speeding up as I do with my G6 gt. Did new rotors pads tires alignment went a way for a short time but now its coming back. I noticed someone on this feed said they did rotors pads alignment and resurface and repeat. Its the calipper getting hung up when taking off what I have noticed try changing that out and see what happens doing it next week and I will let you know or tell me if you have!

gslide
10-23-2011, 10:40 AM
:)I have a G6 GT convertible hardtop, great car everythings works fine!
Has 85K miles..installed 8mm plug wires, Extrema snorkle air filter, E3 platnum plugs and use only Royal Purple Synthetic oil.
Recently engine has begun to surge a little when in high gear and put under a load!! Engine backfires when cold & damp but smoothes out when once hot!
Fresh plugs and wires and fresh transmission fluid and filter!
Anybody have any ideas before I pay a dealer $75 an hour to change parts for me???

G6Boy
12-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Any one else encounter this problem. My original key will not manual open the trunk nor will my second key that I bought and had programmed to my car. Once the key is inserted in the trunk lock it will not turn either direction. Both keys open the door manually with the key and that works and of course the key will start the car. I'm simply thinking the lock on the trunk is broken or is it more than that. Both Key Fobs open the trunk and so does the interior drivers door button?

G6R
12-17-2011, 06:16 PM
I can't adjust my side mirrors from the controller on the door.

androoze
12-18-2011, 05:41 AM
I bought my 06 used, had it for 3.5 months and so far this is whats gone wrong:

- cat was replaced (under warranty) - never had this go on ANY vehicle ive ever owned!
- front hub assembly replaced at my cost.
- coolant temp sensor replaced at my cost.
- car has the vibration issue that many G6's and malibus have
- steering clunk is starting (previous owner showed me a bill dated this year showing an i-shaft replacement, so its failing again within a year? wtf)
- and temp gauge works intermittently (maybe a bad t-stat)

Like the car and its styling, but my Grand Am (RIP) never had issues! The only thing I ever had to replace in 250k was the heater blower resistor for 25 bux and a hub assembly!

nicolekwalker
12-21-2011, 09:39 PM
i have a 2006 g6 gtp 101k miles, white, power everything, heated and leather seats, perfect condition outside/inside... BUT I recently had a belt break in my transmission, i dont know how that happened but it did. I dont have money to fix it so i am trying to sell it for DIRT cheap, take it off my hands, its a really good car.. If any of you are interested I can send pictures. Email me (nicole.walker92@me.com) or TEXT only 7404667842

kvic412
02-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Fuel system too lean on bank 1 and bank 2, engine misfire detected,intake manifold tuning (1mt) valve stuck open. I'm thinking it might be map and maf sensors. These issues are causing the tranny to have problems. I need to get them fix or I'm going to have to spend a lot of dough getting it fixed. does any body have any Ideas on my issue?

piri0027
02-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Fuel system too lean on bank 1 and bank 2, engine misfire detected,intake manifold tuning (1mt) valve stuck open. I'm thinking it might be map and maf sensors. These issues are causing the tranny to have problems. I need to get them fix or I'm going to have to spend a lot of dough getting it fixed. does any body have any Ideas on my issue?

My 2009 G6 Sport had this problem:mad:. They are two seperate if your trans is having problems with shifting hard or not at all. The fuel problem was the ecu that needed replacing at 16,000miles and the transmission was 3 times starting at 6500 miles... :mad:Crappy electronics:mad: is the issue:mad:.... I traded it for an 03 Avalanche:D, never been happier because the electronics in the g6 started it on fire 3 months after I sold it:)... Would never reccomend a pontiac to anyone after my brand new 09 G6 and my 04 Grand Prix GT... Both were nothing but a pain in my butt, and caught fire:mad: in the end... Still loving the Avalanche though:), small electronics issues but not as big as with the Pontiacs! Thinking an Audi or Dodge for next... Miss both of those (never had a problem with either:)) My advice...SELL THE PILE OF CRAP! Why do you think they were cut from the GM line-up? Because they were a poor built pile of crap that looked great!:eek:

Lampoon
02-17-2012, 04:11 AM
Im almost to 150k without those issues....

G6V606GT
02-17-2012, 05:42 AM
Im just shy of 80,000 with no issues.

Sent from my MB520

philman
02-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Back again with another headache. I was driving 06 GTP at about 35mph and it started to sputter like crazy. I turned the corner and it caught 2nd gear extremely hard. At the time it sounded like there were rocks in my motor wich made me think it was serous motor issue. Check Engine and Traction Control light came on so I plugged in OBD II and found codes P0300 and P0106.

Took it to dealer where they told me nothing. No codes no nothing. When they returned my car is sounded normal as if nothin was wrong. CEL and TC lights still on. I inspected the air intake hose and noticed it was not tightened down on either end, (i just had my motor rebuild and i guess they didnt tighten it) so i put some touque on them.

Could this have been my problem? i was leaning towards changing MAP and MAF sensors.

I love my G6 but it has been nothing but a money pit since warranty went out.

Taskona
04-04-2012, 07:56 AM
I'm at 95K+ give or take, and the only thing I've had to have replaced is the steering column, because it shut down on me. That was covered by recall. Otherwise, a battery (these newer cars can't handle 2 hours with the radio playing, apparently) a transmission line (Really don't know) and regular services (brakes tires etc) ... 2006 G6 GT, she's my baby. I've read of a lot of problems too, makes me a little nervous.

RLanois
04-05-2012, 05:11 AM
I'm at 95K+ give or take, and the only thing I've had to have replaced is the steering column, because it shut down on me. That was covered by recall. Otherwise, a battery (these newer cars can't handle 2 hours with the radio playing, apparently) a transmission line (Really don't know) and regular services (brakes tires etc) ... 2006 G6 GT, she's my baby. I've read of a lot of problems too, makes me a little nervous.

Do not fear. Pontiac made and sold a lot of these cars and these problems are common in many cars. I've 160K on my 06 G6 GT. I am on my 3rd set of replacement tires. Front brakes have been done several times but only because I kept getting crappy rotors. Pay a bit more and get good American steel rotors for the fronts. Mine are slotted and dimpled.

I have had two problems I can really speak to.

First was the fuel pump in the tank. That went bad and then happened a second time because the real cause was the wiring to the pump. The dealer missed it and so paid for the second towing and repair that cost me just under 1000 the first time.

Lastly the one problem that was harder to diagnose was the car shutting down anytime it felt like it. It would not matter if you were doing 5 miles an hour or 85, it just shut down. Of course you don't come to a complete stop but on the highway coming to a costing stop on the side of the road was a bit tricky. It started back up in a few so you were not stranded but.....

There were lots of suggested causes but here is the most likely cause. If anyone is having that issue check the computer. When I finally took it to the dealer all the codes were gone so putting a checker didnt help. The dealer found a history of lost commo with one or more of the sensors. They took the time to check the lines and the sensors but the computer was the culprit. Cost of repair was again about 1000 (800 for the computer and 200 for the labor).

If there is a problem that would drive anyone crazy that was one. I lived with that shutting down problem for about 2 months. It would start back up in a few and not have a problem. Then it got more and more and finally I had to act.

I will say that for the most part this car is garaged but driven daily. I havent yet replaced any exhaust parts (sign of a highway driver). Knock on wood it has not been involved in a collision unless you count the bike rider who ran into the side of my car because he wasnt paying attention. I have driven it hard traveling sometimes at speeds over 100. I am consistantly at about 70 to 80 on the highway but I obey limits in town +5.

Long winded but response here but I just wanted people to know that this car is a very good one. It is so good in fact that I expect it to be able to go another 100000 or more. My daughter will get it next as I am about to get a new car (hers is becoming uneconomically repairable).

Matt45
04-05-2012, 11:49 AM
My speakers seem to be acting up, They will turn on and off occasionally. But when they are on they sound perfect..I don't think they're blown. I thought it may be my stereo, so I bought a new one and my speakers still won't work properly.

reverttheclown
04-05-2012, 12:56 PM
My speakers seem to be acting up, They will turn on and off occasionally. But when they are on they sound perfect..I don't think they're blown. I thought it may be my stereo, so I bought a new one and my speakers still won't work properly.

have you checked connections going to these speakers?

doughboy52
04-18-2012, 01:25 PM
Any one else encounter this problem. My original key will not manual open the trunk nor will my second key that I bought and had programmed to my car. Once the key is inserted in the trunk lock it will not turn either direction. Both keys open the door manually with the key and that works and of course the key will start the car. I'm simply thinking the lock on the trunk is broken or is it more than that. Both Key Fobs open the trunk and so does the interior drivers door button?

Same thing for my '06 GT Coupe. Funny thing is, I owned the car for about 4 years and 80,000 mi before I noticed :rolleyes:

carolma69
04-23-2012, 06:33 PM
I have that same vibration on the freeway and have put on new tires, had them balanced and a new alignment and nothing has changed. You may be wasting your money to get it checked out.

The only other problem is I've changed out the brake light switch 3 times in 4 years because of the brakes staying on while driving.

Good luck.

Jumpcable
04-24-2012, 09:14 PM
2007 G6 GTP with the 3.6L V6, around 85K miles.

Had the knock in the steering since I have owned the vehicle. One of these days I'm going to buy the updated intermediate shaft and replace.

@ 74K had to replace catalytic convertor (replaced under warranty - emissions is covered for 8 years or 80K miles)

@ 84K got another SES light for EVAP system. Think it's the EVAP solenoid that needs to be replaced.

Other than those things the car has been awesome for the almost five years I've owned it.

christian06
05-24-2012, 04:46 PM
i bought my pontiac g6 used from a big car lot almost 2 yrs ago with 40,000 miles on it so far my 6 disc changer has went out with my cd's still inside, shimmies and shakes awful, power steering is going out but since its all electrical we cant fix it with out lots of money, ummm lets see, i have a blown speaker, i have already replaced the wheel barrings, brakes twice, brake rotors... Need i continue. It's a beautiful car with out a doubt but it has horrible quality.. I just read via google that my kind of car has had recalls on the passenger airbag system, brakes, and the power steering and sever people have listed having the exact problem with their cd players. Battery dies, cd player goes out then it gone. I give up. Good luck to all the Pontiac and GM vehicle owners....

androoze
06-02-2012, 09:17 AM
I bought my 06 used, had it for 3.5 months and so far this is whats gone wrong:

- cat was replaced (under warranty) - never had this go on ANY vehicle ive ever owned!
- front hub assembly replaced at my cost.
- coolant temp sensor replaced at my cost.
- car has the vibration issue that many G6's and malibus have
- steering clunk is starting (previous owner showed me a bill dated this year showing an i-shaft replacement, so its failing again within a year? wtf)
- and temp gauge works intermittently (maybe a bad t-stat)

Like the car and its styling, but my Grand Am (RIP) never had issues! The only thing I ever had to replace in 250k was the heater blower resistor for 25 bux and a hub assembly!

add to my list - Exhaust camshaft position actuator solenoid (when this part goes it causes extremely hard shifting and it pulled CEL code p0013... good as new again....

P Magic
06-04-2012, 05:06 AM
add to my list - Exhaust camshaft position actuator solenoid (when this part goes it causes extremely hard shifting and it pulled CEL code p0013... good as new again....

I'm about to do that for a second time. :banghead:

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

bechtloffbeauty
06-11-2012, 01:19 AM
Man! I must say, I hope I don't start having the problems I'm hearing about. (knock, knock) So far the only problem I've experienced (G6 GT) is a clunking noise while turning the wheel and this is every so often. This is my third Pontiac and I am still quite pleased with their cars.

is when u slighty jerk it, to the left and right, like 90degrees ?...
i had to replace my whole rack and pinion, :confused:

c_meade
06-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have owned my Silver 2006 G6 GT Coupe for 4 years, and I love my car...I just don't love the problems that I've had with it! The latest problem I have is with the radio amplifier. For a couple of months, the stereo system would cut in and out on me, and finally the stereo just shut off altogether. I went to the dealer who said that condensation in the trunk has shorted and ruined my radio amplifier. The part is expensive to replace ($700+), so I have been looking for a second hand amplifier, or another compatible one. Does anyone know if there are other Pontiac amplifiers, or even another brand of amplifier that will fit a G6 GT Coupe?

androoze
06-30-2012, 06:40 AM
Now getting an intermittent service air bag light. Has come on randomly during highway driving four times now but hasn't come back in the last week at all. Guessing a seat sensor issue (loose connection or failed). Do the electrical issues with these cars ever stop?

team digums
08-10-2012, 08:45 AM
did a google search to find out why my 2006 G6 Coupe GT drive window wont go up. Came to this forum, when you replace your battery the memory in the travel of the window gets jacked up. the forum suggested to run both driver and passenger windows full up and full down several times to see if they will reset. it did just that and the windows reset tp proper travel.

churley
08-15-2012, 08:01 PM
I own a 2005 Pontiac G6. I brought my car 4 yrs ago with only 5000 miles.

I have mostly a new front end on this car. I have new struts, wheel bearings, tie rods, shocks and starter. I learned to buy high performance rotators this will help a lot. I had problems with warping rotators.

I noticed with my car, since the tires are wide. It has a hard time balancing the tires.

I just started noticing the problems with power steering. I know this on recall.

Currently my G6 has a 135,000 miles, and its not a bad car. I just learning from friends they notice they are having the same problems in their front end like mind.

ljeanabldr06gtp
09-19-2012, 10:28 AM
i took it to the dealer 06 g6 gtp and they are charging me 900usd to replace the whole ignition system! why???:confused:

slls
09-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Ask the dealer, I wouldn't know.

cajunmr54
01-02-2013, 01:12 PM
My Red 2006 G6 Sedan 79.000 miles from new , Lets see front speakers went out, my starter seems like it gets stuck at times I have to turn the key off to stop it dose anyone have the same problems with the starter , power steering light came on one time but never came back on, back brake light was sticking for a while . thats it knosk on wood its is a great car looks sharp

Taskona
01-03-2013, 05:48 AM
As far as the starter sticking, I've not had that exact problem. Sometimes if I turn the car off, go into the store for less than 5 minutes and come back out to start it, it likes to sputter alot and not start. Only ever does it that one time and it will start again. Mechanic said it was something to do with fuel pressure? And that the G6's had that issue but it was nothing to worry about.
My front driver speaker in the door sounds like it's been blown when the weather turns cold (30F or colder) but once the inside of the car warms up it stops rattling. *shrug*

Keep an eye on your power steering. Mine went out completely and thankfully I was already slowed to turn into a parking lot, but completely lost control of the vehicle. It was recalled (The entire column was replaced) and I got it replaced soon after with no charge to me. After that, no problems whatsoever. She's been a great car and I brag on her so much! Considering how badly my Mom's Ford has treated us, the G6 is just pure solid awesomeness.

doughboy52
01-04-2013, 05:04 AM
You may want to try cleaning the throttle body if you're having starting issues. Mine wasn't turning over consistently for me and sure enough, once I opened up and cleaned out the throttle body, the car has started like a new car.

I've had my speakers blow out. The front door ones were the first to do it. The speakers are pretty cheap paper ones. Not too hard to take the door liner off and replace them. I think I put Infinity ones in. And the problem started when they were only cold and slowly got worse.

An interesting problem I just had was some cylinder misfires. Turned put the spark plug wires from the front side of the 3.5L, which run over the top of the engine's intake manifold, were arcing through their insulation to the manifold. All sorts of singe marks on the top of the engine. I put in new wires and made sure to keep them off the too of the engine, and wrapped them in some heavy duty electrical tape for some extra insulation.

360ci
03-29-2013, 07:47 PM
My front speakers were replaced in 2008, compliments of GM. They had originally told me it's my fault for installing 12 disc cd changer in the trunk. Yea, apparently that affects my front speakers. After three days in the shop (over two visits) the tech found one of the screws came loose as it wasn't locked on the back. Yea, my fault alright.

Some of the stitching on the right rear passenger seat is de-threading on the corner. Not that I overly care as it was just out of warranty at the time. My back seat isn't used very often in this car; maybe once every two weeks.

I had an intermittent power steering light come on also a few times over the course of about a year. As this car has electric power steering I took it to the dealer as it was under warranty. They relayed it to some internal fault, reset the code, and deemed the car fine. Two months later it was back. It would then turn on/off for a day, every month. Before this issue I did have some excessive steering wheel play, which GM replaced the rack at no charge. I thought the PS light was something to do with them not tightening up a fastener. The PS light hasn't come on in over 3 years.

The front end clunks, yet apparently after visiting two shops everything checks out OK. I don't get it. The car is nearing 50K miles.

As of late the autostick doesn't want to downshift. It will upshift on command.

Chris Gagnon
04-02-2013, 12:12 PM
yup! I had bought my 06 G6 at 140k km and the first month of having the vehicle I had to replace rear speakers, front right headlight, rotors, struts, and rear brake pads...right now I have had the car a total of 1.5 years and have already put $2,200 in repairs, and am currently getting stuck every night on the side of the road due to my catylitic converter (2nd one now)...I am so sick of this car and cant handle it anymore...I am a student and it is so hard to constantly buying parts for this car especially when a cat should not go twice within a year.

360ci
04-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Chris, did you not take the car for a test drive? Many things such as bad suspension components, speakers, and so on, can be caught during the test drive. You can then negotiate these fixes off the purchase price. To me it's evident that the previous owner didn't maintain the car correctly, or they did their best to hide troubled items from you when you were looking to buy the vehicle.

My 2006 G6 GT expenses since new (6.5 years):

Fuel: $8290.54
Tires: 4x OEM summer replacement + 4 winter rims and tires - $1970.15
Other maintenance & wear and tear parts (oil changes, brakes, fluids, etc): $1485.17

Plus 4 full days of down time over 3 visits at the dealer to replace the two front speakers, and deal with a power steering issue.

Taking into account that I paid cash for the vehicle, total expenses to date is approx. $11,745.86 which is very reasonable. Roughly 15 cents a km, or 23 cents a mile. Or, $1807.05/year. I'm nearing the 80,000km mark. I haven't had any emission component problems yet.

For comparison purposes in terms of fuel and maintenance, my 2000 Dodge Durango eats a nice 37 cents a mile. Even more if I decide to return the computer to run on 91 octane fuel (15 cents more per liter!).

If the cat converter was installed at a reputable shop, and is a NEW component, not used from a salvage yard, they generally come with a full no obligation one year warranty. The EGR system itself might be the culprit if the shop fails to diagnose things properly. On older Dodge vehicles, as an example, a bad throttle position sensor ($40 or so) leads most shops telling the owners they have a bad transmission to milk the unsuspecting owner for all their worth. The owner then gives the said vehicle poor reviews as the owner fails to realize that they were hosed for $3K for a $40 part. It's sad, but true. I'm surprised more folks don't search out online forums to at least get a grasp or indication of said problems until its too late. Still, I'd check with the shop that threw in the last cat converter on your G6 and see if they have any sort of replacement warranty.

The aftermarket can be a godsend at times, better products for lower prices allowing some people to buy new, instead of a 'good' used version of the part with little or no warranty.

churley
04-02-2013, 11:20 PM
I had my car for 4 years. I have replaced the struts, shocks, wheel bearings, tie rods (upper & Lower), starter, water pump, and A/C but I was lucky I had a extended warranty most of the repairs were covered under that.

I noticed with this car that I have to change the brakes mostly every year. I have a check engine light on now but when I took it in to do a computer diagnostic it comes back with 3 things wrong from O2 sensor to something major.

I can't complain that much my car has 152k miles on it. It has been a dependable car. I just recently put high performance rotators on the car, it helps a little bit. I just don't like the wide tires, they do horrible on wet roads.

I keep up to date on all the recalls on the G6, they replaced my power steering, it locked up twice on me mostly during winter time.

RLanois
04-03-2013, 07:37 AM
yup! I had bought my 06 G6 at 140k km and the first month of having the vehicle I had to replace rear speakers, front right headlight, rotors, struts, and rear brake pads...right now I have had the car a total of 1.5 years and have already put $2,200 in repairs, and am currently getting stuck every night on the side of the road due to my catylitic converter (2nd one now)...I am so sick of this car and cant handle it anymore...I am a student and it is so hard to constantly buying parts for this car especially when a cat should not go twice within a year.

First let me say one thing. I loved my 06 G6 GT and it is still on the road. 180,000 and climbing. Had a couple of troubles but nothing that would make me dislike the car. Your cat problem is troubling. Whoever put it in should have warranteed the replacement. I still have the original exhaust on the car. Kind of unusual since I live in MA but I do (did) park the car inside. It now belongs to my daughter who got into an accident with it (the first ever on my poor G6 :(

I really think that pretty much any car can be a very good car with the proper maintenance.

I had my car for 4 years. I have replaced the struts, shocks, wheel bearings, tie rods (upper & Lower), starter, water pump, and A/C but I was lucky I had a extended warranty most of the repairs were covered under that.

I noticed with this car that I have to change the brakes mostly every year. I have a check engine light on now but when I took it in to do a computer diagnostic it comes back with 3 things wrong from O2 sensor to something major.

I can't complain that much my car has 152k miles on it. It has been a dependable car. I just recently put high performance rotators on the car, it helps a little bit. I just don't like the wide tires, they do horrible on wet roads.

I keep up to date on all the recalls on the G6, they replaced my power steering, it locked up twice on me mostly during winter time.

Those are quite common though I didnt have much of them. I put high pro rotors on after having to replace the Autozone ones three times in two years. I did make a mistake with this last set by putting cross drilled. That is a mistake I will not do again. Way too noisy. It sounds like on a muffled scale as if you are running your hand along a chain link fence really fast. More rubbing than anything.

redbullADDICT
04-03-2013, 09:08 AM
i have cross drilled and slotted rotors and i dont hear anything like that.. and ur not the first person that ive seen say that.. weird..

mewiley
04-09-2013, 08:36 PM
I've had my '06 GTP sedan since 2009. It has 110,000 miles, 40,000 when purchased. So far, had to replace battery twice and brake rotors. Swapped out stereo for after-market head unit with iPod integration. Not a real big deal, all things considered. Never had the steering or speaker issue. It has the Monsoon stereo system. Maybe that helps. It also has the rough idle.

However, current issues include a chirping alarm when the car is unlocked with a key (keyless is toast), cracked oil pan (never drove over anything that would've caused it), a rear door lock that doesn't cooperate with the power lock button or double key turn and a transmission that jumps (makes clunking noise, jolt) when gas is pressed quickly. Also, the panoramic sunroof panels don't sit right (one panel appears warped?), which makes for a noisy ride.

I have a friend with a 2010 Chevy Impala with the same lock issue. He took it to a dealer who told him that it is a GM defect. He got it fixed, but it stopped working again not long after.

Anyone else had any of these issues?

doughboy52
04-10-2013, 05:20 AM
I've had my '06 GTP sedan since 2009. It has 110,000 miles, 40,000 when purchased. So far, had to replace battery twice and brake rotors. Swapped out stereo for after-market head unit with iPod integration. Not a real big deal, all things considered. Never had the steering or speaker issue. It has the Monsoon stereo system. Maybe that helps. It also has the rough idle.

However, current issues include a chirping alarm when the car is unlocked with a key (keyless is toast), cracked oil pan (never drove over anything that would've caused it), a rear door lock that doesn't cooperate with the power lock button or double key turn and a transmission that jumps (makes clunking noise, jolt) when gas is pressed quickly. Also, the panoramic sunroof panels don't sit right (one panel appears warped?), which makes for a noisy ride.

I have a friend with a 2010 Chevy Impala with the same lock issue. He took it to a dealer who told him that it is a GM defect. He got it fixed, but it stopped working again not long after.

Anyone else had any of these issues?

Have you tried cleaning the throttle body? I had some rough idles and starts and when I took that apart and cleaned it, it made a world of a difference. Also, have you replaced your spark plugs and wires? At 110K mi, it would be overdue for that work if you haven't done it already.

firstcarisaG6
04-10-2013, 06:12 AM
Just bought mine from a dealer, and the a/c doesn't blow out cold air when set.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

Chris Gagnon
04-10-2013, 07:23 AM
I had the same popping with my steering as well, I went to the dealer and they fixed it so far *knock on wood*, they told me that the column and a few parts under the steering needed to be lubricated, I have also gone through 2 catalytic converters and my 3rd is being put on this friday morning. If you ever have any issues with this I have found an extended special warranty for the replacement of the whole exhaust system for no charge at all, no part costs no labor nothing. As long as you meet the requirements.

Condition

Some customers of 2006-2007 model year Chevrolet Malibu vehicles equipped with a 2.2L engine (L61); 2006-2008 model year Pontiac G6 and 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu and Saturn AURA vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine (LE5) and 4-speed automatic transmission (MN5) may comment about the illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp. This may be due to erosion of the mat within the catalytic converter.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

Dealers are to perform the necessary diagnostic steps to determine if the catalytic converter requires replacement. The customer should not be charged for performing the diagnostic check when it is determined that the catalytic converter is not the cause of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp. A labor code has been provided to submit claims for such diagnosis. Any additional necessary diagnosis and repairs that are not related to the catalytic converter are not covered by this special coverage. The customer should be informed that any further service that is not covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty will not be covered by this special coverage.

For 2006-2007 model year Chevrolet Malibu and Pontiac G6 vehicles: Vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after November 17, 2010, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to November 17, 2010, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

For 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu, Pontiac G6, and Saturn AURA vehicles: Vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after August 23, 2011, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to August 23, 2011, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 2006-2007 model year Chevrolet Malibu vehicles equipped with a 2.2L engine (L61); 2006-2008 model year Pontiac G6 and 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu and Saturn AURA vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine (LE5) and 4-speed automatic transmission (MN5).

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Applicable Warranties section in the Global Warranty Management system.

Parts Information

Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care and Aftersales (GMCC&A)

Hope this helps

slls
04-10-2013, 09:09 AM
My 09 2.4 G6 cat converter is covered for 15yr 150K mi due to California emissions adopted for our state.

toddmiller322
05-13-2013, 04:05 PM
I've had my '06 G6 GTP Hardtop Convertible for about 3 years. For awhile now, I get a screeching noise between 2500-3000 RPM. It sound like a bad serpentine belt, but it's coming from under the car. I've heard some mechanics say they've heard of the issue but didn't know what the fix was. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Any replies would be great, but a PM would be fantastic if you've had success in ridding of this problem.

pedal4u
05-15-2013, 08:54 PM
i don,t know abougt the 2006 but my 2008 has had 2 sets of rotors 1 set of both rear calipers a front end linkage and now my wipers only work on high and stop where ever they feel like my traction light is on and the abs light too even after changing the hub on the passengers side now my mechanic says i have to change the other side to get the light off

Jay-001
05-18-2013, 04:15 PM
I have a 2006 pontiac g6 V6 with the LX9 3500 engine in it.. and every single time in IDLE the rpm jumps up and down id say from 600-700..doesnt jump much but it is very noticeable.. i put my hand over the engine and it moves around kinda like a misfire.. im getting no engine codes.. the other day i opened my throttle body and found engine oil substance all over it and i cleaned it but still rpm jumps.. i also did a tune up on it 7 months ago.. spark plugs, 02s, fluids changed.. anyone know whats wrong?

mrslcom
05-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Occasional rough idle is quite common on the V6s unless your problem only occurred recently.

Taskona
05-19-2013, 05:31 AM
I asked the same question of my mechanic and was told the G6's have a rather low idle for a car, and this can seem rough sometimes but is normal. Mine seems a little rough too but no problems or oil or anything. She has over 160K now and I still can't really hear the engine when it's running idle. I can feel it through the steering wheel sometimes, though. Don't think it's anything to worry about

doughboy52
05-19-2013, 01:54 PM
I've got that same idle as well. Not every time but I'll be sitting at a traffic light occasionally and the rpms will bounce up and down, about that same fluctuation of 100. Interesting that a couple people say it's normal. I've been wondering if my '06 had some big problem slowly surfacing. I guess I'm good, and it's still running strong at 151K mi.

CIEZA22
06-07-2013, 12:27 PM
So if there is a problem with my Cat. Conv.(P0420) will it be covered under this warranty.

happy56owner
06-07-2013, 02:26 PM
i have a 2008 3.5L with 71000km on it and all i had were the brakes to change and a front right speaker (but for the speaker im not surprised i drive with max volume :) . However, i do get rough idles and i got it scanned and its because of a misfire. I am not sure yet what causes the Misfire i believe its the wiring of the spark plugs because one of them turned white where it was touching the engine.

Jay-001
06-08-2013, 08:30 AM
i have a 2008 3.5L with 71000km on it and all i had were the brakes to change and a front right speaker (but for the speaker im not surprised i drive with max volume :) . However, i do get rough idles and i got it scanned and its because of a misfire. I am not sure yet what causes the Misfire i believe its the wiring of the spark plugs because one of them turned white where it was touching the engine.

Did u get any codes?

doughboy52
06-08-2013, 09:45 AM

I've had some rough idle problems and one time the engine randomly got really rough altogether, with a CEL. Cleaning out the throttle body helped the one time - that thing was filthy. When I got the CEL and the roughness it was indeed a problem with the wires and where they cross the engine. They had been arcing through the insulation to the engine and it got to a breaking point. Once I got the wires off the one fell into two because of all the arcing it had been doing (Advance gave me a code for a cylinder misfire). There were little singe marks on the engine, too. I installed new wires and created a little bit of a gap but running them through some high temp conduit and wrapping in electrical tape where they go over top the engine. All has been well since then!

lancem
07-09-2013, 02:24 PM
I just purchased a used 2006 g6 gt and i'm having ignition issues. When i turn the key over it often doesn't turn over. I'm not sure if this is a fuel filter or fuel pump issue, or something else. Any ideas?

Jay-001
07-10-2013, 07:33 AM
I just purchased a used 2006 g6 gt and i'm having ignition issues. When i turn the key over it often doesn't turn over. I'm not sure if this is a fuel filter or fuel pump issue, or something else. Any ideas?

Put your key at on position and see if the fuel pump gives a loud buzz noise.. Could be the starter motor going out..put a can of seafoam in the gas tank see if that helps the fuel filter..and marvel mystery oil in gas tank for lubing the pump

waterfowler76
07-10-2013, 08:26 AM

Try cleaning your throttle body, it's a pretty common issue.

doughboy52
07-10-2013, 05:56 PM

I second the throttle body comment. Mine was rough turning over and sometimes wouldn't. Cleaning out the throttle body solved it.

Dan
07-15-2013, 02:40 PM
2006 pontiac g6v6 3.5. headlight driversside looks like the seals broken .all wet inside. any recalls 54,ooo miles only 211.00 for a new one. ca enyone help me out. a newby here. 51 years old. na mes Dan. thanks.

CruisinG6
07-15-2013, 02:55 PM
2006 pontiac g6v6 3.5. headlight driversside looks like the seals broken .all wet inside. any recalls 54,ooo miles only 211.00 for a new one. ca enyone help me out. a newby here. 51 years old. na mes Dan. thanks.

You can try getting a tube of clear silicone and resealing the edges. My buddy said he once fixed his by running a line of superglue all around the edge of the lens where it seals.
You could also try baking the light or using a heat gun to re-seal it with the exsisting glue since it was made before 2007.

g6_gt06
07-22-2013, 07:56 PM
2006 G6 GT, almost 100,000 miles

This car has been alright, though a couple months ago everything started to fail. I ended up replacing the front strut mounts (kept getting random grinding noises when turning because they were seized), tie rod ends, intermediate steering shaft (lubing the old one was getting tiresome), both front wheel bearings (multiple times), rear sway bar bushings, and some evap solenoid on the gas tank. Also replaced the front brakes and rotors to expensive drilled/slotted ones which resolved the warped rotor plague. Unfortunately now my rear rotors are warped and they will soon be replaced. Also had the electronic assist sensor replaced under recall, had to call GM and complain for them to do this free of charge.

Electrical problems: I've had it happen a couple times where the car will read nothing on all the gauges but continue to work. Since its only happened twice it is impossible to find the problem. Also have had the security light randomly come on while driving or turning off the car (not yet locked).

I have definitely had to put a lot of money into this car, though looking through the forum it looks as though I'm lucky compared to some.

Edit: I also have the problem of starting the car once it is already warm. Just seems to not want to turn over. Apparently getting the ECU reprogrammed fixes this issue. Also, they say that touching the gas pedal does not help start the car, yet every time I run into this problem I do have to use the gas pedal (not to the floor) and it starts up right away. Cleaning the throttle body did not make this issue any better.

Nick
07-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Found this forum when looking up a transmission issue. Purchased a base model 2.4l G6 in October of 2005 and the car has been pretty reliable since then. Only has 46,900 miles on it because it was never driven more than 50 miles from my home until 2011 when I drove it back and forth to college. Plus it was my first car so I babied the hell out of it. I have most of the receipts, but I'm going to guesstimate some things here. Regular maintenance completed every 3,000 miles.

10,000 miles: Visor broke, replaced for free
14,000 miles: Clunk in the steering, lubed shaft - $42
14,200 miles: Clunk returned, Replaced intermediate steering shaft- $250
16,150 miles: Power steering motor intermittently stopped working, car had low miles so dealer replaced for free
18,000 miles: Horn decided to stop working, replaced horn pad- $70
25,550 miles: New tires, brake pads, rotors, alignment, wheels balanced, turn signal bulb,- $1540:eek:
46,820 miles: Transmission began to intermittently shift rough, No CEL, mechanic found no issues -$42
46,850 miles: Transmission shifting rough again this time with CEL on and codes p0013/14, changed oil, updated TCM and cleared codes- $156

The problem with the transmission is still occurring. I am taking it again to the dealer with a printout of what others have found on this forum as well as part numbers. Hopefully the problem will be solved because unfortunately, I have to sell the car.

bnapp
07-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Had the "engine power reduced" light come on and the car suddenly idols down and sometimes even dies. Tried cleaning the throttle body but still not much luck. Bought a new throttle body and I am going to attempt to change it myself tomorrow. Any videos online that you guys/gals could recommend to help me fix it? Or any advice from you all?

Jay-001
07-29-2013, 09:06 PM
2006 G6 GT, almost 100,000 miles

This car has been alright, though a couple months ago everything started to fail. I ended up replacing the front strut mounts (kept getting random grinding noises when turning because they were seized), tie rod ends, intermediate steering shaft (lubing the old one was getting tiresome), both front wheel bearings (multiple times), rear sway bar bushings, and some evap solenoid on the gas tank. Also replaced the front brakes and rotors to expensive drilled/slotted ones which resolved the warped rotor plague. Unfortunately now my rear rotors are warped and they will soon be replaced. Also had the electronic assist sensor replaced under recall, had to call GM and complain for them to do this free of charge.

Electrical problems: I've had it happen a couple times where the car will read nothing on all the gauges but continue to work. Since its only happened twice it is impossible to find the problem. Also have had the security light randomly come on while driving or turning off the car (not yet locked).

I have definitely had to put a lot of money into this car, though looking through the forum it looks as though I'm lucky compared to some.

Edit: I also have the problem of starting the car once it is already warm. Just seems to not want to turn over. Apparently getting the ECU reprogrammed fixes this issue. Also, they say that touching the gas pedal does not help start the car, yet every time I run into this problem I do have to use the gas pedal (not to the floor) and it starts up right away. Cleaning the throttle body did not make this issue any better.

hey what symptoms did you get when you changed the tie rods? im getting a little clunking from front end over little bumps and with the car still and if you quickly move the steering wheel it feels loose and "clunky".. let me know

g6_gt06
07-29-2013, 11:54 PM
I had only changed out the tie rod ends as my model (06 with electric steering assist) the inner tie rods are not replaceable and are actually built right into the rack and pinion. The reason I changed them was more so I had the clunk you're experiencing and wanted to change everything I could to eliminate it. Changing them did not make any difference. However, the clunk you may be experiencing could be related to the front sway bar bushings. That is all I have left to change and the clunk is only getting worse. As well, the looseness you're experiencing in the steering wheel (can be recreated by sitting in park and jiggling the steering back and forth) is actually the gear within the rack and pinion. It is a very common thing in GM vehicles and usually does not pertain to any safety risk, it is more so an annoyance. If the steering becomes too loose, there is a chance one of the splines on the gear in the rack is stripped and the whole rack will need to be replaced. Hope this helps.

Also a couple more things to add since I forgot. My single disk monsoon cd player mechanism stopped working a long time ago. The window switch that is built into the door latch (rolls down the Window partially in the coupe version when the door is opened) gets stuck often making my window roll up before the door is closed. The passenger vanity mirror lid broke a week after buying the car (have had it for 3 years now) and last week the drivers side one finally broke. Not sure how to fix them yet. Also, the car tends to really steer into any groove in the road and veers randomly when braking, I always have to counteract it while coming to a stop. Lastly, one of the flex joints in the exhaust needs to be replaced as I now sound like I'm driving a young kids hatchback civic with a tin can on the back. Sigh

Jay-001
07-31-2013, 03:15 PM
I had only changed out the tie rod ends as my model (06 with electric steering assist) the inner tie rods are not replaceable and are actually built right into the rack and pinion. The reason I changed them was more so I had the clunk you're experiencing and wanted to change everything I could to eliminate it. Changing them did not make any difference. However, the clunk you may be experiencing could be related to the front sway bar bushings. That is all I have left to change and the clunk is only getting worse. As well, the looseness you're experiencing in the steering wheel (can be recreated by sitting in park and jiggling the steering back and forth) is actually the gear within the rack and pinion. It is a very common thing in GM vehicles and usually does not pertain to any safety risk, it is more so an annoyance. If the steering becomes too loose, there is a chance one of the splines on the gear in the rack is stripped and the whole rack will need to be replaced. Hope this helps.

Also a couple more things to add since I forgot. My single disk monsoon cd player mechanism stopped working a long time ago. The window switch that is built into the door latch (rolls down the Window partially in the coupe version when the door is opened) gets stuck often making my window roll up before the door is closed. The passenger vanity mirror lid broke a week after buying the car (have had it for 3 years now) and last week the drivers side one finally broke. Not sure how to fix them yet. Also, the car tends to really steer into any groove in the road and veers randomly when braking, I always have to counteract it while coming to a stop. Lastly, one of the flex joints in the exhaust needs to be replaced as I now sound like I'm driving a young kids hatchback civic with a tin can on the back. Sigh

Thanks for the advice man. Did you ever have to lube your intermediate steering shaft? i got the same problem when driving, the car follows the grooves on the road but i found out that maybe my tires are the reason for that because i changed my tires and it started doing that.. i also get pulling to one side when braking probably due to alignment or maybe our cars were built poorly.. my car has around 150,000km (LX9) but in idle the car sounds like it has over 300,000kms with little valve ticking and some random tapping/knocking noise. im also getting 400km if im lucky from full to empty on a gas tank what do you get? i know something is wrong with mine because i have a jumpy/rough idle and im dumping a lot of $$ trying to fix it up

g6_gt06
07-31-2013, 03:55 PM
I lubed that intermediate shaft so many times lol. I had it down to every 3 months it would need to be redone, eventually I just replaced it with the new version (there are V shaped grooves around the shaft which eliminate any movement so no need for lube). The only rattling I get now is from the sway bar bushings, still noisy and annoying though. As far as the pulling while braking and alignment, I've had numerous alignments done and it hasnt solved the issue, along with new tires. I think it is just the wide profile of the tires, I've done a lot of research and the term is apparently tramlining. I have 146k km's and I can sort of hear the rockers but theyre not too bad. I use seafoam every second oil change to clear out any gunk in the engine. I experience the jump/rough idle very randomly, it comes and goes as it wants. As far as fuel economy, depending how I am with the gas, city driving can be anywhere from 400-480km. When I fill, it tells me I have 540ish Km's until empty but I have never got that far.

You might want to try throwing some seafoam into your engine to try and clean out some carbon build up, I can honestly say it works amazing, not to mention the smoke show you get while doing it. lol

Jay-001
08-01-2013, 04:24 PM
I lubed that intermediate shaft so many times lol. I had it down to every 3 months it would need to be redone, eventually I just replaced it with the new version (there are V shaped grooves around the shaft which eliminate any movement so no need for lube). The only rattling I get now is from the sway bar bushings, still noisy and annoying though. As far as the pulling while braking and alignment, I've had numerous alignments done and it hasnt solved the issue, along with new tires. I think it is just the wide profile of the tires, I've done a lot of research and the term is apparently tramlining. I have 146k km's and I can sort of hear the rockers but theyre not too bad. I use seafoam every second oil change to clear out any gunk in the engine. I experience the jump/rough idle very randomly, it comes and goes as it wants. As far as fuel economy, depending how I am with the gas, city driving can be anywhere from 400-480km. When I fill, it tells me I have 540ish Km's until empty but I have never got that far.

You might want to try throwing some seafoam into your engine to try and clean out some carbon build up, I can honestly say it works amazing, not to mention the smoke show you get while doing it. lol

damn i put white lithium grease spray on mine (under the dash) and still clunks like its gonna fall apart.. how did you lube yours? or did the shop do it? your right.. how long do you keep seafoam in the engine? i heard its bad if you keep it for too long, ill be trying that when i do my oil change soon. i used seafoam thru the vac line a lot of times and it was smoky as hell but my engine chugging and bad gas mileage didn't get fixed so i stopped using it... i drive okay and in the city i get about 300km or under if i am lucky.. took it to a road trip (hwy) and only got about 400km from full to quarter which is crazy for a 65L tank and the 3.5 is supposed to give very good gas mileage on the highway.. you think you know whats wrong with it? what i should change/tune up? let me know man!

g6_gt06
08-01-2013, 06:15 PM
I used the lithium grease spray as well. When I did it, I would disconnect the knuckle joint right at the steering wheel, spray grease on the shaft, then push the shaft in and out so the grease worked its way in. Eventually I just bought the replacement part and did it myself, it isnt too difficult to replace, one of the easier things I've had to do.

As far as seafoam, I usually pour about a quarter of a can into the oil about 100-200km's before I do my oil change. Pouring about half a can in the gas tank and letting it run through also helps.

As far as the mileage goes, What youre getting is pretty close to what I get (on the highway). I'd say about 400km's until quarter of a tank. Of course the speed you're travelling at and wind/temperature also affects this.

As far as the rough idle, it is very hard to pinpoint the problem as there can be many things causing it. I would start with a tuneup, replace plugs and wires, etc. Then go from there. Could even be a clogged fuel filter.

Frankie064
08-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Clunking noise when I steer normally at low speeds on my 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP sedan, dealership says it's the steering box which needs to be replaced at cost of over $1K. Any ideas out there ?

g6_gt06
08-02-2013, 09:56 AM
If by steering box they mean rack and pinion, chances are its fine and they're just trying to get money out of you. I'd look at suspension. Check the way bar links and bushings. Those are usually the main cause.

GM Customer Service
08-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Clunking noise when I steer normally at low speeds on my 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP sedan, dealership says it's the steering box which needs to be replaced at cost of over $1K. Any ideas out there ?

Frankie064,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

slls
08-02-2013, 03:48 PM

Sounds like IS, needs lube or replace. Connector from steering column to rack.

Taskona
08-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Be aware there may be a recall on your steering column, check that out first.

Frankie064
08-08-2013, 12:04 PM
I haven't been having problems until recently. Front end vibration, had all 4 tires balanced and rotated but still have a slight vibration. Squeaks and a clunking noise in the steering. Squeaks were because of a steering rod, they had to remove, sand it down and grease it, after $153.00 it still squeaks, car is back in the dealership shop. Also they said the clunking noise is from the steering box bushings and the only way to fix that is to replace the steering box at over $1k, but it supposedly does not affect the steering or it being a safety hazard and if I can try to ignore the clunking. Kind of worried about that but don't have the $$$ to replace it. Other than those issues it's been a good car....

topgun217
08-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Hi all, I have an 06' G6 GTP with 96k on her. I recently began hearing this strange kind of tapping/clicking noise from the passenger side of the engine compartment. I took it to the GM dealership and the mechanics are stumped. They have used a stethoscope on a few of the idler pullies, top of engine etc. with neg. results. The oil has been changed and they ruled out lifter/cylinder issues.
Tonight I had a mechanic friend look at it and he is going to change the serpentine belt in the morning and check the bearings for the pulleys.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue? I have researched a bit, and found that it could be the crank shaft bearings. My friend says it cant be due to the mileage and my maintenance schedule.

Please help !

slls
08-28-2013, 03:09 PM
If timing chain, should set code.

POF61glp
09-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Bought 09 gt at 54000 mile's now have 83000. Only problem if you want to call it that was a bulb passenger side. Replaced it and a few day's later it was out again. Took it out and scraped the connection with a small screwdriver and add a little diaelectric grease and its been good for a few weeks now. Had the tires rotated and was getting a little vibration. Loosened up the lugs and re-tightened them to 100 ft. lbs. Vibration is hardly there now. Just replaced plugs, drained out the power steering and refilled.It's been a very good car.

ScottJ794
12-13-2013, 07:33 AM
My problems began at about 30K miles and have persisted ever since. I'm now at about 60K and spend every minute in this car regretting having bought it. This was my first, and most definitely, my last GM vehicle.

churley
12-14-2013, 05:39 AM
I have a 2005 Pontiac G6. I initially brought the car for 5k miles and it currently have 170k miles.

I have been having issues with replacing one O2 sensor and its the sensor 2. I have replace that sensor twice already. I brought the sensor from Auto Zone. My mechanic told me the wiring harness may be faulty.

Do you have buy GM parts for these cars? Can you use alternative parts from Part Stores. I had no issues with the other O2 sensors I brought from the part store its just this one sensor that keeps triggering my engine service light. After I change it with a new one, the engine light out will come on again in 2 months after installing a new sensor.

Any Suggestions?

Soylatte
01-27-2014, 09:28 PM
I am new to this forum and seeking for advice. I have have a 06 G6 GTP Hardtop convertible. Engine shuts off and ABS light comes on every time I hit a speed bump, drive over railroad tracks, hit a pot hole. etc. When this happens, I would pull over the road, put it in park, and try to restart the engine. But, I would have to try several times before engine starts again. I recently noticed also that my car would not start when the weather hits near zero... yes we have been in the sub-zero weather here in Upstate NY.

Anyone out there having same issues with the G6? Any advice, suggestion, resolution is greatly appreciated.

sleepyalero
01-28-2014, 10:28 AM
Well I can say these cold temps are harsh on batteries. So thats why it wont start. You could always find a higher CCA battery (cold cranking amps) to help that a bit. But even mine with high CCA if it sits in the garage for a week without being ran in very cold weather. Its dead. But if started daily she usually fires right up.

maria06G6
02-12-2014, 11:30 AM
My brakes are squeaking and the steering column keeps freezing in the temps below 10. That's about it though!

MaineMeal
09-27-2014, 08:24 PM
I have a 2006 4 cylinder with 107k miles. Two days ago I was driving down a road at approx 45mph. Suddenly, without warning, the car shut off. I had radio still playing but no engine control at all. It hasn't started since. My initial thought was fuel filter or fuel pump and that is still what I'm leaning towards. Here's the kicker. The pump/filter are located in the tank. Now, I'm not an idiot, but come on! How is a guy suppose to just fix a problem like this? I'm hoping someone on here has had a similar problem but it wasn't the pump or filter. The check engine light came on after it died, and not before. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

waterfowler76
09-29-2014, 07:30 AM
^ What happens when you try to start it?
First thing you should do is get it scanned to see what code came up with the CEL.
Then you'll have somewhere to start.

g6gtqueen
10-01-2014, 08:10 AM
I have a horrible grinding/ticking noise that started out of my front end yesterday... Can't get an apt with gm till the 16th.. Hopefully nothing serious 06 g6 gt

Skyhighskye
10-28-2014, 10:01 PM
My interior dome light switch is flimsy. Have it on "door" mode and lights flicker to the point that I just keep them on off.

Other than that, not bad. Small oil leak that no one can seem to pinpoint, but nothing horrible yet.
One other thing, on warm starts, after just turning the car off, it will sometimes struggle to turn over, to where I have to feather the gas for it to turn. I clean throttle body and it helps for a few months and comes back. Typical?