Any 2006 G6's with problems out there? [Archive] - Pontiac G6 Forum

: Any 2006 G6's with problems out there?

Pages : [1] 2

anth_97
10-27-2005, 07:21 AM
I have been reading most of the posts on here and the majority of problems/complaints are with 2005 model year G6's. Anyone notice anything wrong or abnormal with thier 2006 yet? I have about 1000KM's on my 06 GT and do not notice anything except that at freeway speeds I am getting the slight vibration that everyone is talking about. I am going to the dealer Monday to check the balance on all 4 tires, and to double check the tightining of the harmonic balancer, just in case.

Smockonallama
10-27-2005, 07:43 AM
Yeah, I have the slight vibration on mine as well but that is it. I have had no other problems with mine yet at all.

~niKKi~
10-27-2005, 07:49 AM
No problems here *knock on wood* heh.

MP2
10-27-2005, 01:41 PM
I have a little over 3300 miles. I too think one of the tires is out of balance, but once it warms up it seems to go away.

Yesterday I closed the driver's side door and the reflector fell off, not a big deal and I can fix it myself. But annoying because I had a 97 Grand Am that had the same problem. Let's hope Pontiac doesn't go into the bycycle making business or those kiddies are in trouble at night. :p

I also had a unique smell when under a load like climbing up some of these 13% grade hills. I figured it was all that plastic under the hood 'breaking in'. Seems to have gone away.

Redsun_ty
10-27-2005, 08:35 PM
I have squeaking problem with my brake pads on my 2006 G6 Sedan going to dealer this saturday

metlmangreg
05-30-2008, 07:53 PM
I have an 06 G6 GT with 33k on it, brake rotors, seatback releases both sides, right headlight peeled inside, blown rear speaker, a/c leak, passenger seat belt, and two chrome wheels peeling that the dealer won't make good. Is that enough?

geewhiz
06-01-2008, 06:23 PM
I have an 06 G6 GT with 33k on it, brake rotors, seatback releases both sides, right headlight peeled inside, blown rear speaker, a/c leak, passenger seat belt, and two chrome wheels peeling that the dealer won't make good. Is that enough?

Wow! I was going to add but never mind :eek:

mrslcom
06-02-2008, 12:25 AM
I have came across a few G6s with blown rear speakers. What's with that?

Gunia
06-17-2008, 06:37 AM
I have 17k on my 2006 G6 GT. No major issues, but the alignment seems get changed easily, slight vibration at highway speeds, slight brake vibration (might be warped - sudden brake to avoid deer), sometimes the speakers sound weird, Continental tires don't hold pressure well (one flat, one bulge), cheap components and paint (already fading), some suspension noises during the winter months, steering make some ticking noises during parking lot manuvers. Most of these I've read on other posts, so I don't see much improvement between 05 and 06.

geewhiz
06-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Man! I must say, I hope I don't start having the problems I'm hearing about. (knock, knock) So far the only problem I've experienced (G6 GT) is a clunking noise while turning the wheel and this is every so often. This is my third Pontiac and I am still quite pleased with their cars.

mrslcom
06-17-2008, 02:56 PM
There's always a slight vibration at highway speed on my 2007. I have tried balancing the tires, alignments, etc but still no improvement. My other 10-year old car is still smooth and solid even at 100 mph.

I noticed an occasional loud pop on my speakers and thought the speakers might be blown, then I noticed it only happens when I am listening to the radio, especially AM. So I think it is most likely due to poor reception...they're not that good with the G6.

geewhiz
06-17-2008, 03:13 PM
There's always a slight vibration at highway speed on my 2007. I have tried balancing the tires, alignments, etc but still no improvement.

What brand of tire? I bought some WalMart tires some years back and they were :eek:"OUT OF ROUND":eek:! Goodyear tire; Go figure:rolleyes:.

mrslcom
06-18-2008, 03:40 AM
I don't know what brand. They're stock tires from the factory. There's also a grinding noise from the hubcaps. The dealers can't fix it after repeated tries.

Gunia
06-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Just came back from the dealership for some steering noise (clunking) and a broken mirror cover (driver visor). Apparently the intermediate shaft needs to be replaced. I've had this problem a number of times with my 03 Impala and no solution yet (105,000 miles).

Willito
07-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Just bought my 2006 G6 Sedan a week ago. It's got 47,000 miles on it. I just started receiving this sticking / popping from my steering, especially at slow speeds. After reading some posts on here, I guess it's off to the dealership ASAP.....I hope this doesn't turn into something that drags on forever.

geewhiz
07-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Just bought my 2006 G6 Sedan a week ago. It's got 47,000 miles on it. I just started receiving this sticking / popping from my steering, especially at slow speeds. After reading some posts on here, I guess it's off to the dealership ASAP.....I hope this doesn't turn into something that drags on forever.

You'll find the steering noise is a common problem. On the wife's G6 its not bad and it didn't get any worse.

Fusion
07-08-2008, 12:32 PM
I just put up with it, I hate spending time at the dealership waiting for them to tell me how big my bill is going to be.

Gunia
07-08-2008, 01:29 PM
I got the noise fixed by the dealership. They replaced the steering intermediate shaft. No cost under warranty. Problem solved for now.

mrslcom
07-09-2008, 04:59 AM
It will come back to haunt you. I have brought mine back to the dealership repeatedly but after a while, the clunking sound in the steering column always came back. There is no permanent fix for this defect.

Gunia
07-09-2008, 05:28 AM
It will come back to haunt you. I have brought mine back to the dealership repeatedly but after a while, the clunking sound in the steering column always came back. There is no permanent fix for this defect.

Oh I know, my 03 Impala is plagued with this defect. I've replaced it a number of times. As long as it's under warranty I'll keep replacing it. :D

bmk2010
07-11-2008, 08:20 AM
i have a 2006 G6 with just over 78,000 miles on it. I bought it with 73,000 miles on it (i know, thats a lot of miles for a 2006) but, the only thing that I have done to it so far was put new brakes on. There is a rattling noise in the front drivers side corner which i should get checked... and the only other thing i can think of that has happened is one time i left the windows opened and it rained (=[) annd i think it like shorted out the air bag on the passengers side because the service air bag thing came up. However, once it got dried out and such it went away, but thats not really the manufactures fault that happened.

bmk2010
07-11-2008, 08:23 AM
sounds like you got a lemon son.

katbrew
07-11-2008, 04:19 PM
I have a 2.4L with 80K miles, my catalytic converter needs work currently. I had problems with the rotors not long after i bought it used 5 months ago. Those are my issues so far.

MrsM
07-14-2008, 08:32 AM
I have a 2006 G6. I was getting major vibration in the front when braking, so I had the rotors turned. Problem not solved...and actually got worse. I had to replace the front outer tie rods, and the problem went away. Not sure if anyone else has had to do this...seems like they should not have had to be changed that soon. Now I have a knocking in the back of my car and have no idea what it is. I hear it at slow speeds, but not when I brake.

geewhiz
07-14-2008, 08:42 AM
I have a 2006 G6. I was getting major vibration in the front when braking, so I had the rotors turned. Problem not solved...and actually got worse. I had to replace the front outer tie rods, and the problem went away. Not sure if anyone else has had to do this...seems like they should not have had to be changed that soon. Now I have a knocking in the back of my car and have no idea what it is. I hear it at slow speeds, but not when I brake.

This sound kind of funny to me :confused:. Did you take your car to a shop or do the work yourself?

MrsM
07-14-2008, 12:18 PM
This sound kind of funny to me :confused:. Did you take your car to a shop or do the work yourself?

I took it to a shop, who told me that the tie rods needed to be replaced...so I called my brother (who mechanics) and he did the work. Yes, they were bad. I was out there with him when he did the job, and I still have the old parts in the trunk of my car. I later told my brother about the knocking, but he was not sure what it could be (I do not live very close to him, so I cannot just bring it over to him on a whim).

It just scares me to have a knock and not know why or what needs to be replaced.

geewhiz
07-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Now I have a knocking in the back of my car and have no idea what it is. I hear it at slow speeds, but not when I brake.

Can you elaborate on the knocking?

MrsM
07-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Can you elaborate on the knocking?

Yes. It is a loud knock, but not sharp (loud and dull if this makes sense). I hear it at low speeds, not when braking, and it is not always consistent (I may hear it consistently..knock, knock, knock, or I may hear a couple of knocks, then quiet a few seconds, and then a nother few knocks). Sometimes I do not hear it at all, and other times it is constant.

Fusion
07-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Did you try taking out all your old parts from your trunk, that may stop the noises! [I'm just trying to be a smart ass so if you don't have a sense of humor, just ignore me.] Being serious though, have you checked your spare to see if it's loose?

MrsM
07-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Did you try taking out all your old parts from your trunk, that may stop the noises! [I'm just trying to be a smart ass so if you don't have a sense of humor, just ignore me.] Being serious though, have you checked your spare to see if it's loose?

I have had several people ask the same thing. I have not checked yet (guess I should), but I am not sure why it would be the spare when it has not been moved, and has many things on top. The spare parts, by the way, are in the box the new ones came in, and then inside the net pocket in the trunk.

Fusion
07-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Well, things tend to come loose after driving for a while, so the spare is worth checking out, might just be an easy fix. Wouldn't that be nice!

geewhiz
07-14-2008, 01:44 PM
:bump:

I have a hammer:D

Fusion
07-14-2008, 01:52 PM
So i've heard.

MrsM
07-14-2008, 01:56 PM
LOL. I'll check after I get off work...yes, I'm guilty of getting on forums at work. Hope it is that easy!

Fusion
07-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Ha, ha.... Work is pretty much the only time I get on here!

geewhiz
07-14-2008, 02:38 PM
So i've heard.

LMFAO

MrsM
07-15-2008, 05:11 AM
Alright, I checked the spare, and.......that's not the problem, spare is nice and snug.

legalcat
07-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Yesterday I closed the driver's side door and the reflector fell off, not a big deal and I can fix it myself. But annoying because I had a 97 Grand Am that had the same problem. Let's hope Pontiac doesn't go into the bycycle making business or those kiddies are in trouble at night. :p

Ohh that happened to me on my drivers side door as well... they had to order a new one and it took 3 weeks, then they didnt even have the courtesy to put it in for me, lol, they just gave it to me to do myself... not a big deal, more comical than anything lol

mitchogaard
07-22-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm sad that all these people have been having problems with their G6's. My baby is an '06 Sedan (3500 V6) with 52,000 miles and the only problem I've had with her is the rotor warping, which I was ever so slightly annoyed with and had temporarily fixed with a resurfacing. Maybe I'll replace them somewhere down the road. I plan on having her a for several more years to come! Hope you all are enjoying your G6 as much as I am enjoying mine!

AnnieM74
07-30-2008, 04:37 AM
clunking noise on the steering of the 2006 G6, could be the rack and pinion, this is what is happening withmine and it is getting fixed for the second time on the same part.

goad
07-30-2008, 03:52 PM
We bought a sweet 2006 G6 with 38,000 miles and it drives wonerfully.
But am now having problems with the sunroof.
It is a panoramic sunroof that the first panel from the front had the "retaining(?)" pins fall out. These are the pins that hold that glass into the track at the back (or the part of the glass/track that goes up. If that makes sense).
And there are 2 "almost" square rubber parts that is on the track toward the front of the glass track that came out. I am assuming that these are for anti rattle(?).
I have taken it to 2 dealers in Indy that have been unable to get these parts for me and neither one of them have an exploded parts view or diagram for this sunroof.
That is so wrong!
I even called Pontiac and all they would do is referred me to Helm Publications so that i can buy the service manual for $135.
I've posted this issue before and so far no help in getting closer to identifying these parts.
Is there anyone out there that can help? Direct me? Guide me? Hehe!
I am desperate though.......
Pontiac, are you there?? Any service techs in this forum that can direct, guide or advise me?

Appreciate any feedback or help.

Also, the front brakes sqeak something awful. My wife gets embarrased from it. I plan to replace the pads with ceramic pads myself, and not using GM parts.
Any feedback on this would be great as well...I am most likely going to buy Wagner pads.

Thanks

Ken

Fusion
07-31-2008, 07:57 AM
sorry, don't know anything abou that, but I have to say, that it's pretty pathetic that your GM dealerships can't help you with this.

goad
07-31-2008, 03:32 PM
I think that maybe I will finally get some resolution with this.

I took it back to the closest Pontiac Dealer and the service man told me that he knows what they are. He had one just in that broke on a lady that ran thru a car wash and the suction of the wash broke hers.
So he says that it should be know problem getting it taken care of.

Hopefully!
Scheduled to go in next Tuesday.....

Ken

Fusion
08-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Alright, finally somebody that can help you!

MrsM
08-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Still have the knocking in the rear of my car...and I do have that steering pop others are talking about. Bad thing is my car has not been under warranty for several thousand miles, so I have to pay to have everything replaced. Anyone know about how much it costs to have the rack and pinion replaced?

AnnieM74
08-16-2008, 07:15 AM
anywhere from $300-$500 for rack and pinion...Good luck

Firehawk335
08-24-2008, 10:37 PM
I as well have a clunking noise when I turn and it's obviously something with the steering. It sounds like it is caused from the steering wheel when I turn. Does anyone know exactly what the issue is with that?

geewhiz
08-25-2008, 03:47 AM
There is a thread about that here somewhere, when I find it I'll link it.

Gunia
08-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Clunking noise in my car was corrected by replacing the intermediate shaft in the steering column.

ooshnoo
08-25-2008, 01:24 PM
I as well have a clunking noise when I turn and it's obviously something with the steering. It sounds like it is caused from the steering wheel when I turn. Does anyone know exactly what the issue is with that?

It's the intermediate steering shaft, and is a well known issue. Why GM hasn't recalled it, I have no idea, but there is a service bulletin for it.

MrsM
08-26-2008, 06:59 AM
So...how much does the intermediate shaft cost to replace?

Where is the service bulletin?...I'd like to print this out and keep in a file.

ooshnoo
08-26-2008, 08:25 AM
So...how much does the intermediate shaft cost to replace?

Where is the service bulletin?...I'd like to print this out and keep in a file.

It's Technical Service Bulletin TSB #060232007 with an NHTSA ID of 10020816
Just do a Google search and you'll find it many places.

From what I've seen the intermediate shaft is between $300 and $400, but mine was replaced under warranty, so I could be wrong.

Gunia
08-27-2008, 07:22 AM
I had the intermediate shaft replaced in the G6 under warranty. When I changed it in my Impala it was about $120, I think. I'll have to go back and check my records.

edwardsdalejr
09-10-2008, 01:43 PM
When my 2006 G6 had 30,000 miles on it I had to replace the tires. Then at about 50,000 I had to replace the battery. I have also been to the dealer multiple times about the popping noise, flat (dead) spot in the steering, they have fixed it and it comes right back. I also keep getting a message about low coolant even though I keep adding collant, don't see any leaks, don't know where it's going. Had the power steering message come up on the radio repeatedly until the power steering failed while on vacation in Myrtle Beach. Also the sunroof will not close if under 80 degrees outside. Roof pulls all the way forward but will not drop into place. I now have 73k miles on it, mostly highway. Don't know if I will buy another pontiac once this one is paid off, to me too many problems. No one wants to stand behind their products anymore. This tells me their either cutting costs be cutting quality or using cheap parts.

Slope308
09-24-2008, 09:54 AM
I have an 06 G6 Sedan with 55k miles. I have replaced, the rack n pinion once, 2 times had the electronic steering assist reprogramed, tie rods once, brake rotors rear 2 times, front rotors 1 time, pads all the way around 2 times. Now i having a problem with I believe it to be a sensor located right at the intake, (right side of Engine on top). I can fix it myself just need to know what its called? It causes the car to not start at times.

playrmom13@yahoo.com
10-15-2008, 08:20 AM
The "service air bag light" came on on my dash read out...HELP!

burnsygtcoupe
10-15-2008, 07:49 PM
i have an 07 gt with performance package and so far i've had to get new struts both sides, new steering colum, new control arm cause of the ball joint, new flex pipe wich is $800, new headliner, new window passenger side, new, not to metion all the **** ups with the dealers. but other then that the car is sick

thenerdybird
10-16-2008, 11:52 AM
I have an 06 GTP with almost 38K on it. ive had a front axle replaced with in the first 10k. Ive had two steering shafts, my door locks replaced by 15k. and most recently my caliper boots were torn and had to be replaced as well. Thankfully i bought an extended warranty. I also have the road vibration your talking about, ive had an alignment, new tires, and several balances and same vibration. Im taking mine in on monday oct 20th to get it checked out.
IF anyone has an 08 GT or GXP please let me know if they are any better the reviews for the 06 model.

I have been reading most of the posts on here and the majority of problems/complaints are with 2005 model year G6's. Anyone notice anything wrong or abnormal with thier 2006 yet? I have about 1000KM's on my 06 GT and do not notice anything except that at freeway speeds I am getting the slight vibration that everyone is talking about. I am going to the dealer Monday to check the balance on all 4 tires, and to double check the tightining of the harmonic balancer, just in case.

thenerdybird
10-16-2008, 11:54 AM
I had my panoramic roof fixed at 30k it was like i had a loose door on my car. the rattling noise was horrible. the dealership fixed it, said it had to be adjusted.

We bought a sweet 2006 G6 with 38,000 miles and it drives wonerfully.
But am now having problems with the sunroof.
It is a panoramic sunroof that the first panel from the front had the "retaining(?)" pins fall out. These are the pins that hold that glass into the track at the back (or the part of the glass/track that goes up. If that makes sense).
And there are 2 "almost" square rubber parts that is on the track toward the front of the glass track that came out. I am assuming that these are for anti rattle(?).
I have taken it to 2 dealers in Indy that have been unable to get these parts for me and neither one of them have an exploded parts view or diagram for this sunroof.
That is so wrong!
I even called Pontiac and all they would do is referred me to Helm Publications so that i can buy the service manual for $135.
I've posted this issue before and so far no help in getting closer to identifying these parts.
Is there anyone out there that can help? Direct me? Guide me? Hehe!
I am desperate though.......
Pontiac, are you there?? Any service techs in this forum that can direct, guide or advise me?

Appreciate any feedback or help.

Also, the front brakes sqeak something awful. My wife gets embarrased from it. I plan to replace the pads with ceramic pads myself, and not using GM parts.
Any feedback on this would be great as well...I am most likely going to buy Wagner pads.

Thanks

Ken

xgibbyx
10-16-2008, 12:30 PM
My G6: Intermediate shaft, brake pads (still have vibration under braking, need to do rotors now). The car pulls to the left, but the dealer says the alignment is fine adn blamed it on the (aftermarket) tires - which i rotated adn still had pull to the left. I'm guessing the tires really are the suck, or my tie rod end is doing that AND the braking problem for a nice combined suck.

Ryababe24
10-29-2008, 10:39 PM
the first week I had my 07 g6..i was in the parking lot and my key would not come out of the ignition or turn. it had to be towed...the ignition died. and now apparently i have a hole in my oil pan even tho i have not hit or run over anything

Sport Red G6
11-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Man! I must say, I hope I don't start having the problems I'm hearing about. (knock, knock) So far the only problem I've experienced (G6 GT) is a clunking noise while turning the wheel and this is every so often. This is my third Pontiac and I am still quite pleased with their cars.

That could be the Tie rod end

geewhiz
11-17-2008, 02:05 PM
That could be the Tie rod end
"?"
It seems to be a common prob w/ the G6s. It's not worse so I leave it alone. It's not really bad either.

BTW, where you been hiding?

Sport Red G6
11-18-2008, 08:01 AM
"?"
BTW, where you been hiding?
:) Being a manager for Fedex has me pretty busy these days. I honestly haven't had much time to do a whole lot. I actually went on vacation 2 weeks ago and have some pics of the G6 on the Ocracoke ferry, i just haven't had time to resize them for the internet. :eek:

geewhiz
11-23-2008, 10:32 AM
I thought about you the other day, someone on the Mazda forum made a positive comment about my signature pic. I don't know why we can't post avatars or signature here anymore.:confused:

I'll stop this threadjacking now!:D

Sport Red G6
11-24-2008, 06:24 AM
I thought about you the other day, someone on the Mazda forum made a positive comment about my signature pic. I don't know why we can't post avatars or signature here anymore.:confused:

I'll stop this threadjacking now!:D

not sure why you can't use yours. Mine is still on here.

geewhiz
11-24-2008, 08:19 AM
not sure why you can't use yours. Mine is still on here.

Thats odd, at home or at work I don't see anyone's avatar or signature pics. Maybe I changed something in my account.

EDIT
OH! there you are, I found it. I must of had a senior moment.:D
(What a drag it is getting old........)

kyeza132
11-24-2008, 09:04 AM
had to have the headliner replaced. they said that there is a drain tube that goes along the roof line and it was not connected properly. warranty covered it all. the light on my fog light switch cuts in and out. works sometimes but not always when i turn them on obviously. other than that i like my G6 a lot.

maykevin5
12-01-2008, 10:12 PM
have a 06 GTP 3900. At idle in gear, I notice a slight rough idle. anyone out there having the same issue. If so, what did you do to fix it?

playrmom13@yahoo.com
12-03-2008, 08:20 AM
I bought my o6 GTP a year ago with 27000 miles on it and have had that same slight rough idle the whole time. whats up with that..a tune up maybe? I also noticed that one of my front speakers sounds blown..and I NEVER have the music loud enough to blow a speaker..Does Pontiac just use crappy speakers or what?. Other than these...I love my car

AnnieM74
12-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Grrrr, this is the fifth time since April I am having my rack and pinion replaced on my Pontiac G6 sedan, I am so frustrated with this, and the other day the power steering locked up on me as well... I have called Gm many times and they said this is all news to them, I think they are full of Sh@*!!!!!!
any suggestions out there?

AnnieM74
12-04-2008, 09:14 AM
GM called me today to tell me about a bulletin that is out on these cars in regards to clunking and knocking noises in steering colums, the bulletin number is 06-02-32-007D, best to get it checked out with your local dealer.

stephcorleone
12-04-2008, 01:53 PM
GM called me today to tell me about a bulletin that is out on these cars in regards to clunking and knocking noises in steering colums, the bulletin number is 06-02-32-007D, best to get it checked out with your local dealer.

I guess they called you because you had been speaking with them? I had that stuff replaced, too, but only once. Is your car under warranty? I don't have the extended (I don't know why I got this shitey 60K warranty)... now I have 65K miles.

Have you been out any money on this? Did they say anything specific would take place at the dealership w/ that bulletin?

AnnieM74
12-05-2008, 09:14 AM
I guess they called you because you had been speaking with them? I had that stuff replaced, too, but only once. Is your car under warranty? I don't have the extended (I don't know why I got this shitey 60K warranty)... now I have 65K miles.

Have you been out any money on this? Did they say anything specific would take place at the dealership w/ that bulletin?

No money out of my own pocket on this one, thankfully!
I had been speaking with GM to tell them how displeased I have been with this issue, The lady I spoke with made a note to technical support and then got back to me the next day regarding this issue. Car is going back to dealer on Monday and hopefully this will be the last of it... Other than all this I love my car. :-)

maykevin5
12-05-2008, 11:46 AM

maykevin5
12-05-2008, 11:48 AM
I bought my o6 GTP a year ago with 27000 miles on it and have had that same slight rough idle the whole time. whats up with that..a tune up maybe? I also noticed that one of my front speakers sounds blown..and I NEVER have the music loud enough to blow a speaker..Does Pontiac just use crappy speakers or what?. Other than these...I love my car

I think we bought the same car...

maykevin5
12-08-2008, 08:30 AM
So that car is at the dealer today. they think the rough idle is due to a bad spark plug or wire. The door speaker is getting replaced and the radiator is getting replaced. Noticed a little seepage on the right side of the radiator looking froward. Covered all under warranty. It helps to buy certified used. lol.

maykevin5
12-08-2008, 12:06 PM
dealer said since the service engine light was not on, there's nothing they can do. I'm going to have my local mechanic hook the computer up to it and see if its missing on any certain cylinder. I'm pretty sure that's what it is. The thing is, it has to miss many times in a row for the light to come on. My prob is it misses here and there.

temsbayo
12-22-2008, 08:24 PM
I hope that I'm posting this on the right thread. I'm having a problem with my 06 g6 sedan. I've had the thumping noise when turning the wheel for a while but have let it go since its not under warrenty any longer. I've also lurked on different boards to read up on that issue and some say deal with it..others say dont. Anyways, I have a NEW problem now. Last month my keyless entry quit working (I do not have remote start btw) every now and then. I could unlock the car but could not lock or enable the alarm, it has been getting worse this past week. Sunday I went to start my car and when it turned over I could clearly hear that the engine was running but the check engine light was on and the security lock light was on and my steering wheel was completely locked. I turned it off and tried again, it did it again. On the third attempt it started normal with no check engine light but the security light stayed on a little longer then normal. The steering is now giving resistance (more then normal) and pulling into my driveway tonight I noticed that when I turned the wheel my headlights would dim a little. I'm freaking out, I have called a pontiac dealership but can not get the car in until next week. Has anyone had this problem? I'm also worried that I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill (so they say) and I'm justing looking for steering resistance since having it locked up on me.

kdb8z
01-19-2009, 02:36 PM
i have a 06 g6 gt and hmm where do i start...battery replaced, racking penion or however u spell it...back rear speaker rattles like its loose on different songs,condensation in left head light, back brakes replaced, cd player needed reprogrammed (caused from battery going dead). but im really not complaining my car has 50,000 miles on it, and you usually have to replace things like the battery and brakes eventually. i still love my car

kdb8z
01-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Grrrr, this is the fifth time since April I am having my rack and pinion replaced on my Pontiac G6 sedan, I am so frustrated with this, and the other day the power steering locked up on me as well... I have called Gm many times and they said this is all news to them, I think they are full of Sh@*!!!!!!
any suggestions out there?

i took my car to NYC and hit alot of pot holes and it messed mine up too it costs me 350 bucks to have it fixed. if it isnt under warranty just go to a front alignment shop you trust. its much cheaper than a dealership ...they wanted to charge 500 dollars

kristym32
01-29-2009, 06:54 PM
My temperature gage on the stereo that shows the outside temp is wrong. 147 degress .lol Does anyone kow where the sensor is located?:eek:

geewhiz
01-29-2009, 07:02 PM
My temperature gage on the stereo that shows the outside temp is wrong. 147 degress .lol Does anyone kow where the sensor is located?:eek:

:confused:

Kendra w/ the 2008 G6 V6
02-04-2009, 04:16 PM
i have a 2006 G6 v6 sport package and i had to have a mod replaced that has to due with the rear defrost and antenna cuz when i turn it on the stereo would crack up LoL so they replaced it to see what happens. plus i have black tinted windows so well see what happens. i can get u the direct name of the mod if u want or anyone else is going through this .
~ Kendra ~

g6headache
04-03-2009, 08:33 PM
anyone have this problem?

I have 06 G6 and I am getting check engine light with the computer saying that it is P0014 code which I guess means cam shaft sensor/ cam exhaust actuator?

changed both cam shaft sensors and it is still not going away

I don't want to list all the problems that I have had with this car as it is too depressing..

if anyone has a solution for me it would be greatly appreciated.

the car jerks forward after each gear shift; it is like someone is rear ending you

thanks

Lampoon
04-04-2009, 05:42 AM

Look behind your front grill.....drivers side. See that little thing that looks like
a mini meagphone? Thats it.

geewhiz
04-04-2009, 06:42 AM
anyone have this problem?

I have 06 G6 and I am getting check engine light with the computer saying that it is P0014 code which I guess means cam shaft sensor/ cam exhaust actuator?

changed both cam shaft sensors and it is still not going away

I don't want to list all the problems that I have had with this car as it is too depressing..

if anyone has a solution for me it would be greatly appreciated.

the car jerks forward after each gear shift; it is like someone is rear ending you

thanks

Wait, you guess?
Uh, what makes you think this?
Are you the original owner?

BTW, welcome to the club, I hope we can help.

g6headache
04-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Wait, you guess?
Uh, what makes you think this?
Are you the original owner?

BTW, welcome to the club, I hope we can help.

I took it to a mechanic who hooked it up to the computer and did all the work on it and still didn't take care of the check engine

then i took it to the dealer and they did the same thing telling me the same code as the problem

they wanted to charge me 500 to replace the cam exhaust actuator?

I said no thanks; they started acting like little kids not even telling me anything else about the part or the location of the part that needed to be replaced

I paid them 115 bucks for 5 minutes worth of work and they are the ones feeling slighted LOL

so I take it to my buddy, he replaces another cam shaft sensor and the friggin thing is still not going away

anyways, I called GM canada and gave them a piece of my mind

today i will call the owner at my dealership to give him a piece of my mind as well

I need my car to function properly in order for me to do my job; this car has been nothing but an embarrassement

I just did a search, there seems to be many GM models with these types of problems out there

geewhiz
04-04-2009, 10:01 AM
I wouldn't want to steer you away from a G6 but it seems you seem to have decided that this car is a lemon, mainly by your signature. Can you trade it in and get something else? I think the G6 is a nice car to own but I don't have the troubles you seem to have either.

pzwestside
04-11-2009, 10:32 PM
I have a 2006 G6 GT 2DR 3500v6

-- I have the classic clunking noise when turning
-- left/right indicator column replaced, as once I turn it would not reset..
-- steering column replaced 3 times
-- on the 2 door models, the window drops half inch or so when you open the door, and the window on the driver side no longer goes all the way up, so all you hear is the wind whistling in your ear
-- radiator replaced
-- fuse box located in the trunk replaced due to fuses melting
-- driver seat replaced due to rusted bolts
-- light on the fog lamp button no longer works
-- when pushing the accelerator, sometimes the car hesitates or the computer doesn't get that the pedal is pressed down so there is a 2 second delay.. VERY AGGITATING
-- battery died and got replaced

Car now has 75385km on it, rougly about 55000 miles. This car has been HELL for me. Mind you I've had different cars from Pontiac in the past and have had way worse problems than this. Currently purchased a G8 GT and love it.. "SO FAR" but we'll see what happens..

geewhiz
04-12-2009, 08:03 AM
I have a 2006 G6 GT 2DR 3500v6

-- I have the classic clunking noise when turning
-- left/right indicator column replaced, as once I turn it would not reset..
-- steering column replaced 3 times
-- on the 2 door models, the window drops half inch or so when you open the door, and the window on the driver side no longer goes all the way up, so all you hear is the wind whistling in your ear
-- radiator replaced
-- fuse box located in the trunk replaced due to fuses melting
-- driver seat replaced due to rusted bolts
-- light on the fog lamp button no longer works
-- when pushing the accelerator, sometimes the car hesitates or the computer doesn't get that the pedal is pressed down so there is a 2 second delay.. VERY AGGITATING
-- battery died and got replaced

Car now has 75385km on it, rougly about 55000 miles. This car has been HELL for me. Mind you I've had different cars from Pontiac in the past and have had way worse problems than this. Currently purchased a G8 GT and love it.. "SO FAR" but we'll see what happens..

WOW!:eek:
Good luck.

blkGTP6speed
04-20-2009, 02:05 PM

Do your speakers sound blown on any frequency and on cd? I used to think mine was on anything then I narrowed it down to it just doing it on xm.

I have had a problem with the radio since I've owned the car and no one seems to want to even help me or they think I'm crazy.

Whenever I turn the car on, and it's cold outside my speakers are muffled. Also, when I have it on xm, the right speaker will rattle as if blown. This happens mostly on songs that have a higher bass sound. It also happens more often when it's cold outside.

I now have 30k miles but I am out of warranty due to time. I started bringing my car to the dealership over a year ago with this problem. So far they have replaced the right front speaker twice and the amplifier once too. They now tell me that the rattle is normal and that the muffled speakers when the car is cold are also normal.

I called GM and they're telling me that the dealership wants to find a car identical to mine to compare the problem...Personally I think they should replace the head unit or the xm box.. but they think I'm crazy.. Is anyone else having this problem?

G6-Woes
06-02-2009, 01:32 PM
I have a problem with the am/fm stereo 6 disc cd player in my 2006 Pontiac G6! Well the problem isn't the radio, it works. The battery died in my car about a month ago (due to daughter) and the CD player was working prior to that and once battery died I had it jump started and then the dang car never acknowledged that I had a CD player or 6 CD's in it!! What the hey? The message "CD Changer Error" comes up on the radio screen but when I push the Eject button it says I have no disc in there? I have 6! When I got in the car and put the keys in it after battery died it sounded like it was trying to change CD's but that is all it did, I still to this day hear it trying to change CD's even when the car is not on, but nothing happens, and the little numbers that indicate which slots have CD's is not even present on the Radio display. The dealer ship tried to say that a power surge must have went to it during it being jumped off, well like I told them "Wouldn't it knock the radio out also if that was the case, due to them both being connected together". Well that is what I am hoping someone here can tell me, why this happens and why doesn't pontiac acknowledge the problem?? They are trying to get me to pay $600 to replace with the factory!! I believe this to be Bull Sh*t, they have got enough money outta me and I will never purchase another Pontiac again!!

RedG6-GTP
06-14-2009, 06:43 AM
have a 06 GTP 3900. At idle in gear, I notice a slight rough idle. anyone out there having the same issue. If so, what did you do to fix it?
I have a lil miss sounding at idle and i have 23k on the car i just got yesterday.

RedG6-GTP
06-14-2009, 06:48 AM
Thats odd, at home or at work I don't see anyone's avatar or signature pics. Maybe I changed something in my account.

EDIT
OH! there you are, I found it. I must of had a senior moment.:D
(What a drag it is getting old........)

RedG6-GTP
06-14-2009, 06:49 AM
Any issues anyone have with the sky view(tri-fold) sunroof....other then it being totally fffin cool?

Lampoon
06-14-2009, 07:00 AM
Never heardit called a skyview.
The panoramic sunroof has leaking and rattling issues.
It always has. So much so they stopped making it.

In the cool scale it is off the chaart though.

I ordered that on my car and the guy checked the wrong sunroof and
like a dummy I initialed it and didnt read it good. When my car came in
I was like WTF!!! But she was sooo purdy and I initialed it PLUS they did not
invoice me the extra $1400 that it cost so I took the standard sunroof.

I have had zero issues with mine. When I see the Pano I have regrets though....

Shannah123
06-18-2009, 10:38 AM
I hope that I'm posting this on the right thread. I'm having a problem with my 06 g6 sedan. I've had the thumping noise when turning the wheel for a while but have let it go since its not under warrenty any longer. I've also lurked on different boards to read up on that issue and some say deal with it..others say dont. Anyways, I have a NEW problem now. Last month my keyless entry quit working (I do not have remote start btw) every now and then. I could unlock the car but could not lock or enable the alarm, it has been getting worse this past week. Sunday I went to start my car and when it turned over I could clearly hear that the engine was running but the check engine light was on and the security lock light was on and my steering wheel was completely locked. I turned it off and tried again, it did it again. On the third attempt it started normal with no check engine light but the security light stayed on a little longer then normal. The steering is now giving resistance (more then normal) and pulling into my driveway tonight I noticed that when I turned the wheel my headlights would dim a little. I'm freaking out, I have called a pontiac dealership but can not get the car in until next week. Has anyone had this problem? I'm also worried that I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill (so they say) and I'm justing looking for steering resistance since having it locked up on me.

Yesterday, my car did the same thing... but I think I turned my steering wheel too far (it was completely upside down). It would not start all the way, but everything was completely locked. I took the key out and did it again and it finally went unlocked... buttttttttttttt

I have been having this problem with my 2006 g6 for 3 years now, every once in a while it has trouble starting (probably a few times a month) and I have to press on the gas to help it and then it starts. What could be the problem????

Rose
10-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Two weeks ago took my 2006 G6 coupe in because of a clunking while turning. Turns out something was warped and had it replaced for $500. Last week it started making a horrible squeal when stopping, when driving, when taking a left turn, took it to a shop -not GMC - and need brakes. I only have 20K miles on it! Also does anyone have the dash light dimming and then the next time you drive the lights are fine? I love my G6 and just paid it off. I've had two pontiacs before - a 92 sunbird and 94 Grand Prix SE not a lot of problems and still have the Grand prix-using it while G6 is in shop.

Lampoon
10-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Yes...thats normal. It will take some time as they arnt off the shelf. They are written for the car.

GTPprix
10-20-2009, 12:56 PM
k thank u just was geting worried because thay are not responding to my e mails good to know

Maybe they are sick of you spamming thier inbox the same way you spammed this forum SIX TIMES asking the same question? I told you LAST WEEK it would ship THIS WEEK. We stopped responding when you started sending hourly inquiries every day as to he shipping status, then you wonder why it hasnt shipped because we have to check if any actual USEFUL emails came in LOL

FYI the 24 hours is for you sending us YOUR ECM, I have to source the new ones they dont magically appear.

bmk2010
10-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Well, My G6 just rolled over 100k and I have had quite a bit of problems. I absolutely love the car, but the problems with it right now is the clunking in the steering, major exhaust leak (from when a new Catalytic converter was put on), rattling in the front, and brakes are squeaking. I'm kind of disappointed that the car has turned out to be kind of a lemon. Sometimes I feel like I'm driving a piece of junk. :(

Does the clunking in the steering seem to be a known problem?

twomuch@gmail.com
11-17-2009, 04:40 PM
2006 G6 problem. Car has factory remote start. With Fob I can unlock doors, unlock trunk. Doors will not lock with Fob and remote start will not work now either. Door lock works fine with key and inside door button. If I lock doors with ke,y remote start still wont work. No audible sounds coming from the horn either when I use the fob to unlock the trunk or doors. Any suggestion as to what might be causing this problem?

KB G6
11-17-2009, 04:47 PM
2006 G6 problem. Car has factory remote start. With Fob I can unlock doors, unlock trunk. Doors will not lock with Fob and remote start will not work now either. Door lock works fine with key and inside door button. If I lock doors with ke,y remote start still wont work. No audible sounds coming from the horn either when I use the fob to unlock the trunk or doors. Any suggestion as to what might be causing this problem?

Bad key fob. Check the connection with the battery, that's probably why your lock and therefore remote start don't work.

bmk2010
11-18-2009, 01:31 PM

If your engine light is on, your remote start will not work.

G6R
12-04-2009, 11:12 AM
I have a 06 GTP. I never had an issue with her. But I got an issue with my Check engine light. I got it Diagnostic test at Advance autos and I had an Evac leak somewhere. So I need to take it to the shop to get it tested.

swirskye
12-04-2009, 09:06 PM
I went to start my car tonight and it started freaking out! Its the first time it has snowed/frozen outside and so I hit the auto start before I got to the car. The car just kept making a clicking noise a million times but the car didn't start. I only pushed the start button once but it clicked for a few minutes. Then when I got in the car it quit when I put the key in and tried to start it myself. When I got in the car all of the lights inside the car were blinking like we were at a rave party... everything was turning on and off and when I put the key in they all stopped. I tried to start the car with the key in the ignition and it did something similar, it clicked and the lights flashed but when I turned the key off they kept flashing and the CD changer kept changing cd's. The lights started getting dim and then bright and the radio turned on music and then switched itself to a cd without me pushing anything. Then the display read "cd change error". I tried to let the car sit for a few minutes and tried to start it again and pretty much the same thing happened only it stopped clicking. It never turned over and there were no lights or anything left on, all of the lights in the car came on full power. (usually if I left something on and the battery was dying the lights would be dim). I opened the hood to see if maybe there was something wrong with the battery connections and everything was clean. I didn't see any ice under the hood. When I decided to give up and went to leave, I hit the lock button on my remote and nothing happened. Absolutely nothing would come on, I had to manually lock the doors before leaving it alone in the parking lot... I'm a college student and I honestly have $6 in my bank account right now. I probably won't even be able to afford to fix my car at all but if its something my insurance or warranty might cover then maybe... So if there's anything you can suggest Please Help!!!! Please e-mail me if you think you might know what is going on with my car (swirskye@msu.edu)

Lampoon
12-05-2009, 03:52 AM
one word- Battery

swirskye
12-05-2009, 10:35 PM
I didn't know the battery could cause all of that... but I got a new one today and everything is back to normal! Thanks :)

Lampoon
12-06-2009, 04:11 AM
:)

Wingyj14
01-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Already seeing some rust starting under the paint abouve the back right wheel well. Shouldnt already be rusting! Looks like the paint job was crap becg oause its completely peeling off from underneath.
Anyone else have this problem?

rustneversleeps
02-16-2010, 11:54 AM

I had to fix my keyless entry my self i took it apart and the retainer that holds the battery fell off..was and easy fix just soldered it back together on one end and the 2 pins just goes back in the holes,but be careful not to damage the curcit board.....hope tat helps

rustneversleeps
02-16-2010, 12:16 PM
Yesterday, my car did the same thing... but I think I turned my steering wheel too far (it was completely upside down). It would not start all the way, but everything was completely locked. I took the key out and did it again and it finally went unlocked... buttttttttttttt

I have been having this problem with my 2006 g6 for 3 years now, every once in a while it has trouble starting (probably a few times a month) and I have to press on the gas to help it and then it starts. What could be the problem????

Funny thing i just bought my 2006 G6 GT a month ago With 86000 Km and when i go short distances it some times won't start,it like it straving for gas but about a few extra cranks later it finally starts....In the 1 month i had car,it maybe happen 3 times but i never did give it gas,that would be my last resort ....

grim reaper g6
02-19-2010, 12:39 PM
i have a black g6 gt 3.5 v6 has a clunk in the rear driver side not sure wha it is anyone know

grim reaper g6
02-19-2010, 02:08 PM
i have a 3.5 v6 gt it has a clunking noise or knocking noise in the rear driver side when i hit bumps in the road anyone know what it is

waterfowler76
02-19-2010, 03:33 PM
loose shock!! Ive also heard of sway bar bushings being so bad that the sway bar moves around and makes a knocking sound. just a couple ideas.

abbado
03-02-2010, 06:05 AM
:mad:I hope my problems are over but i doubt it. Bought 2006 with 43000 in June off dealer used car lot. So far have had new fuel pump ($850) which seller did pay and front wheel bearing ($950) out off pocket and also noise in the steering that has not been checked out yet. LEMONS FROM WHAT I CAN TELL!!!(QUOTE=anth_97;5172]I have been reading most of the posts on here and the majority of problems/complaints are with 2005 model year G6's. Anyone notice anything wrong or abnormal with thier 2006 yet? I have about 1000KM's on my 06 GT and do not notice anything except that at freeway speeds I am getting the slight vibration that everyone is talking about. I am going to the dealer Monday to check the balance on all 4 tires, and to double check the tightining of the harmonic balancer, just in case.[/QUOTE]

blue
03-04-2010, 08:39 PM
I called GM about my 2006 G6 power steering. They blew me off. I had to spend over 700 dollars to get it fix. They act like they don't know about it. What happens is that the power steering will apear on when first start the car and go away and eventually the steering wheel will jerk and rattle all by itself and then power steering will go in and out. This starts about 60,000 miles - fairly common. I made a complaint with NHTSA- 1-888-327-4236 . If you have the same problem please call NHTSA. This needs to be recalled!!!

Woody8112
03-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Recently I noticed a grinding everytime I brake. Since I live in Canada, I thought it might be some ice, but now the weather is above zero celsius, the noise is still there. Will be getting it looked at soon. Anyone else experience this?

waterfowler76
03-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Grinding is not good...have you checked your brake pads?

Woody8112
03-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Grinding is not good...have you checked your brake pads?

yah, had them checked and was told everykthing was o.k..

maykevin5
03-09-2010, 09:22 AM
I went to start my car tonight and it started freaking out! Its the first time it has snowed/frozen outside and so I hit the auto start before I got to the car. The car just kept making a clicking noise a million times but the car didn't start. I only pushed the start button once but it clicked for a few minutes. Then when I got in the car it quit when I put the key in and tried to start it myself. When I got in the car all of the lights inside the car were blinking like we were at a rave party... everything was turning on and off and when I put the key in they all stopped. I tried to start the car with the key in the ignition and it did something similar, it clicked and the lights flashed but when I turned the key off they kept flashing and the CD changer kept changing cd's. The lights started getting dim and then bright and the radio turned on music and then switched itself to a cd without me pushing anything. Then the display read "cd change error". I tried to let the car sit for a few minutes and tried to start it again and pretty much the same thing happened only it stopped clicking. It never turned over and there were no lights or anything left on, all of the lights in the car came on full power. (usually if I left something on and the battery was dying the lights would be dim). I opened the hood to see if maybe there was something wrong with the battery connections and everything was clean. I didn't see any ice under the hood. When I decided to give up and went to leave, I hit the lock button on my remote and nothing happened. Absolutely nothing would come on, I had to manually lock the doors before leaving it alone in the parking lot... I'm a college student and I honestly have $6 in my bank account right now. I probably won't even be able to afford to fix my car at all but if its something my insurance or warranty might cover then maybe... So if there's anything you can suggest Please Help!!!! Please e-mail me if you think you might know what is going on with my car (swirskye@msu.edu)

Lol. Rave party?? Didn't know that was an option..

leew
03-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Has anyone heard of the engine cradle coming loose in a 06 G6 GT?

waterfowler76
03-22-2010, 07:39 AM
Has anyone heard of the engine cradle coming loose in a 06 G6 GT?

Nope...but someone here in vegas is looking for one on craigslist.:confused:

leew
03-22-2010, 09:17 AM
ever heard of the front
engine cradle bolts coming loose?

fbg6coupe
04-05-2010, 02:25 PM
I thankfully have not had any mechanical or electrical issues. But has anyone experience the handles that fold the front seats on the coupe coming off?

It's happened to both sides, I think people try to figure out the lever and pull the wrong way, but both can be pulled off the seats. And now I hear an occasional popping sound during sharp turns, like the lever is popping in and out of place.

I plan to take it in before my Protection plan coverage runs out.

phillysixo
04-08-2010, 07:07 PM
I had that issue with the steering wheel clunking when i turned - took it back to the dealer and he fixed it for free. He said it was an easy fix and he sees it a lot. my 2006 G6 SE has been pretty good to me until lately. Snowy/stormy drive home my windshield wiper transmission decided to cease..$300. Needed both front brakes and a ball joint...$700. And i am getting all of these weird noises all of a sudden.. 3 to be exact, if anyone knows the fix for these..please post

1. when no one is in the passenger seat the passenger door seems to rattle near the lock on the top of the door..

2. Squeeking/Chirping coming from the wheel well (hard to decipher front or back) This only happens when it is dry outside. When it is wet this doesnt happen

3. Weird chopping noise coming from the engine area - gets pretty loud the faster I go

Any one got any ideas>?

phillysixo
04-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Also it seems when i put the fan on to setting 2 it squeels for a few seconds before air begins to blow... anyone heard of this?

waterfowler76
04-08-2010, 07:21 PM
well i can help you with #2 dealt with it for months before i found the problem

http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5972&highlight=squeak

hope it helps

phillysixo
04-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks waterfowler76 - This does help :) much appreciated

sher37
04-26-2010, 08:13 AM
I have a G6 2006 V6ans I have been experiencing some of those slight steering issues: clicking and not moving in a smooth motion at very low speeds (after turning mostly). I have a bigger issue, however. My Alaam keeps going crazy on my at random times in the middle of the night, however,it has a thing with starting this at about 9pm then it can be random times at night. The old man across the street was pissed! My alarm will just go off for no reason! The computer on the dash was reading "Door Ajar" and we fig. it was the right front passenger door, and just when I was going to get it looked into the "ajar" went away and the alarn just stopped. I must add that this happpend when I would hit the lock button from the inside of the car to set the alarm after the door shuts,b/c my remote stopped working, and it works fine most all the time, but if it said door ajar it couldn't lock the doors and no doubt, it would later go off. Since it stopped,I have been doing the same way of locking it and its fine. EXCEPT TODAY! It randomly went off at 9am with no reason. The dealership said they dont know if they can even remove/cut the alarm sensor and fixing the door sensor would be $300! What do I do?
Thx-Sher37

Lampoon
04-26-2010, 08:21 AM
are you sure your battery is ok?

open the hood...look at your PCM/ECM....no water in it?

I would disocnnect the battery and leave it off for awhile then put it back on IF the battery is a good one.

Allow the system to reset.

Every blue moon I will get the door open mess when it isnt. I open all the doors and slam them several times and it goes away. Its happened 3 times in my 110K miles of driving it.

not sure what does it. Water in the sensor maybe??

vbrum01
04-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Everyday when I pull out of my parking spot at work I get the clunking noise when I turn the wheel, and thats the only time! I'm not sure why.. I've had an array of issues so far.. I fell in love with my 2006 G6 only a year ago this month with around 32,000 and now it has 52,000 and my windows have given me problems in the winter with their "sealing" after you open and shut so I had a puddle in my back seat and had to take it to a shop because they were going DOWN instead of UP when I shut the door, my radio is going screwy- screen shuts off when it wants too, now i'm not sure if i'm just being paranoid but I don't think my transmission is shifting smooth like she used to.. any suggestions??

legalcat
04-28-2010, 05:22 AM
Everyday when I pull out of my parking spot at work I get the clunking noise when I turn the wheel, and thats the only time! I'm not sure why.. I've had an array of issues so far.. I fell in love with my 2006 G6 only a year ago this month with around 32,000 and now it has 52,000 and my windows have given me problems in the winter with their "sealing" after you open and shut so I had a puddle in my back seat and had to take it to a shop because they were going DOWN instead of UP when I shut the door, my radio is going screwy- screen shuts off when it wants too, now i'm not sure if i'm just being paranoid but I don't think my transmission is shifting smooth like she used to.. any suggestions??

I'm at 33,000 miles now and my transmission is DEFINATELY not shifting smoothly... its only at low speeds like when I'm leaving the parking garage etc... I have to take it in to get checked out but I'm dreading it...

The other problem I have is, in the morning,maybe every other day, the driver side window wont go down.. scenario is, I get in the car, close the door, turn the car on, try to put the window down.. window doesnt move... won't move until i open the door, close it again, then the window works fine... Its not every day maybe every other day and ONLY in the morning when I first close the door... They havent been able to recreate it at the dealership even though they kept it for a week, they said it never did it. From what I understand the window motor isnt covered in extended warranty anyway...

The other problem I had was... almost since I had the car, I had a radiator fluid leak... I never saw any fluid or any puddles etc... but without fail, the low radiator fluid light would ALWAYS come on before the next oil change was due... i took it to the dealer 4 or 5 times complaining of it, the only thing they ever did was say they found a leak in one of the pipes and changed that particular pipe... about 6 months after the warranty expired, it happened again..

What a mess, by this point, about 6 months ago, the original dealer i bought the car at had gone out of business, and the new dealer i had been transferred to had gone out of business... so now i'm going to a cadillac dealership... at least its a nice place, lol.. so they say... well your warranty expired and you didnt buy an extended warranty... and I say heck no I did so buy one.. so they said it was up to me to prove it.. luckily I was able to find the paperwork... so it took several days for them to process that to show i had the extended warranty and to get approval for the work -- they said I had a crack in the actual radiator... so they replaced the whole radiator... I get the car back.. two days later the light comes on again... I take it back and they say holy cow the NEW radiator has a crack in it, so they had to get another new radiator... I was out of the car for about 10 days in total... after they put in the second new radiator so far Ive not had a problem.... now its the transmission....

I'm disappointed because I feel like the car is falling apart but I still owe 10,000 on it...

Oh also the battery has been replaced 3 times so far in 32,000 miles... I'm 100% sure this is related to an issue with the remote start as all 3 incidents were the same... I used the remote start to cool the car down, came out after a few minutes and then the car just died.. wouldn't start, dead as a doornail, wouldn't even click or turn over... each time I had a tow come out to try to jump it and nothing... all 3 times they said it was a defective battery and replaced the battery... so now i'm afraid to use the remote start because I don't want to get stranded any where lol...

So... its not fantastic... I love the car, its unique... i rarely see another one... I get a LOT of looks and comments about it even now, I'm constantly getting compliments on it when the top is down... but I'm worried about the problems and now that I'm on extended warranty I'm worried about things not being covered etc...

I will need to take it in to have the tranny checked as there is definately a problem there... i checked the fluid and its fine...

billc.
04-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Yeah, I have the slight vibration on mine as well but that is it. I have had no other problems with mine yet at all.

billc.
04-29-2010, 06:33 PM
have electronic power stearing problems, getting power stearing alarm on dash, also lost power stearing, had to turn car off then re-start to get power back, also popping noise when i turn the wheel i have a 2006 g6, v6 made complaint to N H T S A @ toll free # 1-888-327-4236 they say they had other complaints with same issue. wife will not drive car until fixed, repair could reach over $800.00. so waiting for a re-call.

billc.
04-29-2010, 06:35 PM
I have a G6 2006 V6ans I have been experiencing some of those slight steering issues: clicking and not moving in a smooth motion at very low speeds (after turning mostly). I have a bigger issue, however. My Alaam keeps going crazy on my at random times in the middle of the night, however,it has a thing with starting this at about 9pm then it can be random times at night. The old man across the street was pissed! My alarm will just go off for no reason! The computer on the dash was reading "Door Ajar" and we fig. it was the right front passenger door, and just when I was going to get it looked into the "ajar" went away and the alarn just stopped. I must add that this happpend when I would hit the lock button from the inside of the car to set the alarm after the door shuts,b/c my remote stopped working, and it works fine most all the time, but if it said door ajar it couldn't lock the doors and no doubt, it would later go off. Since it stopped,I have been doing the same way of locking it and its fine. EXCEPT TODAY! It randomly went off at 9am with no reason. The dealership said they dont know if they can even remove/cut the alarm sensor and fixing the door sensor would be $300! What do I do?
Thx-Sher37

billc.
04-29-2010, 06:43 PM
loss of power stearing, popping when i turn the wheel & many alarms on dash saying power stearing. called N H T S A to file a complaint.

waterfowler76
04-29-2010, 11:15 PM
yup very common problem in early models (I mean the popping) dont know about the loos of power

legalcat
05-03-2010, 06:47 PM
In 2008 I had a lot of problems with groaning and popping and hard steering etc... my post is here http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2730&highlight=legalcat&page=2 after significant denial of problems they finally replaced a "tie rod end" which resolved the problem 100%...

In early 2010 they had to replace the radiator... I was going back every few months as it kept saying low coolant even though they kept filling it, 2 weeks after filling it would say low coolant... multiple times they said there was no leak, then finally they replaced one hose, then they finally replaced entire radiator...

Now its in with transmission problems... i love the car but this really sucks.. I owe 10k on it so i feel like i'm stuck... also the drivers side window is having problems, but thats not covered under extended warranty and they cant recreate it in the shop...

legalcat
05-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Oh, also i bought extended warranty from them when i got the car.. they had no record of it thank god i had kept all the paperwork... when hey replaced the radiator a few months ago i had to bring them all the paperwork from when i bought the car in 06... they got copies of everything and all was good... now its in for the transmission and they said oh you have no xtended warranty... had to get the paperwork again and bring it all in.... blah

israelsmelgoza
05-11-2010, 04:43 PM
My cooling fan always staying on! and my cooling gauge completly shut off its saying that is cold. 2008 g6 gt.

waterfowler76
05-11-2010, 04:51 PM
do a search... i know ive heard of that problem here but i dont remember what the cause was maybe a relay or even a thermostat.

legalcat
05-12-2010, 07:42 AM
Okay so after having my car since 5/1 and constant delays and being told different things by different people, i called yesterday 5/11 to get my rental car extended another day and they said oh your car is ready come pick it up...

Complaint was: "transmission not shifting properly, harsh shifting between first and second gear" I also brought copies of several service bulletins relating to hard shifting.

These are the parts replaced:

1 x 24244406 VALVE,CONT (W/ BODY & VLV) w/4-SPD A/TRANS
1 x 24225825 Press Control Solenoid Valve
1 x 24244404 Valve Body Kit
12 x 88861003 Transmission Fluid

Mechanic notes:

Road tested and verified customer concerns. DTC P1811. Performed as outlined in Bulletin #07-07-30-025 . R & I (remove and inspect?) transmission. Replaced valve body due to sticking 1-2 shift valve. Erased DTC. Flushed cooler lines Code # CADAEC6. Topped off fluid. Road tested 5 miles. Transmission operating normal. Final test no DTCS.

Total cost to warranty company: 409.47 Parts/ 819.00 Labor

They had the car from 5/1 to 5/11 - I had a rental car from 5/7 to 5/11. Rental car was paid for by the extended warranty company.

Heres the fun part...

While waiting for the car to be brought out so I can leave, the person bringing it out loses control of the car... LONG story short... they said the power steering was basically going on and off and it was really hard to control the car.. so.. they did not let me leave with the car obviously.. not that I would have wanted to... they asked me several times if I was having any problems when I brought the car in and I said no.. so they gave me another rental car. The only good thing is this time the dealership is picking up the tab for the rental so I dont have to get it approved every 24 hours by the warranty company...

In 2008 I had a lot of problems with groaning and popping and hard steering etc... my post is here http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...egalcat&page=2 after significant denial of problems they finally replaced a "tie rod end" which resolved the problem 100%... but I never had problems since and never had problems with the power steering failing...

Maureen
05-15-2010, 09:39 PM
I have squeaking problem with my brake pads on my 2006 G6 Sedan going to dealer this saturday

Let me guess what they told you. It;s because of the exposed brake rotors. They build up rust IMMEDIATELY no matter the weather because their exposed!
Then I have to ask, WHY are they exposed? Oh I get it, it;s so we have to pay more and ore often for the damage that having exposed rotors cause! THIS is NOT a race car and we do NOT have to see our rotors at all times. It is just a car dealer/mechanics dream to find a way to convince up we want some feature that will cause us to have to get more repairs!
WE DO NOT WANT THIS FEATURE!
Now of course this no longer matters on Pontiac's unfortunately but ALL the other makes and models are doing this too!

JennyA
06-29-2010, 06:25 PM
I really wish I could be one of those people who could post something proud about my G6. I really, truly, want to just LOVE this car. There is so much about it I LOVE. Maybe that's why I put up with so much from it. But today sent me overboard.

Before I go on complaining about the brakes, rotors, and alignment, I should probably mention that it's been in and out for various other problems that have luckily been fixed under my extended warranty plan - many of the same problems that all of you have discussed here. My ongoing problem, however, is with the brakes, rotors, and alignment. And from what I've gathered online, I am most definitely NOT alone.

Oh, yes, and the "steering wheel clunk" -- I gave up after replacing the I-Shaft twice, having it re-lubed several times, etc. It's just going to go "clunk, clunk, clunk" for the rest of its life. It's a defective part, and GM flat-out can't fix it. Unless there is any new information about it that I am not aware of?

My Story: 2006 G6, currently with 76,400 miles. (Yes, I drive a lot, but it's long-distance, rarely any traffic, etc., and I take care of my car.)

At 21k my brakes were already in the yellow.

At 38k, I replaced the front brakes AND had the car aligned.

At 45k, had to replace front brake pads again.

At 50k, had to resurface the rotors.

At 54k, had to install new rotors AND new front brakes.

Now, let me explain what I did: For those of you who think that installing high performance, drilled, extra cool rotors and special brakes will make some sort of difference... I purchased high performance, cross-drilled rotors, and the brakes that were recommended to go along with them. Figured... Problem Solved! But, no!

At a little over 54k, I had to do another alignment. (Just FYI, I know that has nothing to do with my rotors and brakes -it's an entirely different recurring problem.)

At 64k, another alignment was recommended and performed.

At 71k, brakes are in the yellow again.

And now, today, at 76k, had to resurface the new rotors! And front brakes are nearing red.

So, I can guarantee you that in a couple thousand miles I'll need NEW rotors and front brakes AGAIN.

My high performance rotors lasted 20k before they needed resurfacing. It appears there is a 3-year warranty on them, so I am hoping it will be honored.

I thought I had my problem solved, but apparently not.

To quote someone from another forum: "It's not the part, it's the design on the vehicle that warps the rotors."

Besides complaining to the NHTS, the government, and Pontiac directly, which hasn't gotten anyone anywhere, is there anything else I can do?

I just spent another $88 to resurface my "high performance" rotors, and I am PISSED. I know it will not solve my problem, and that my steering wheel will be bouncing with joy again shortly.

waterfowler76
06-29-2010, 07:36 PM
WOW! how come so many alingments?? and out of curiosity what brand rotors did you buy? sorry to hear about all your problems. that sucks because I really love my car and i cant imagine having that many problems that often.

MattInSoCal
06-29-2010, 08:57 PM
...lots of brake problems.

I had an '88 Grand Am that ate brake pads. I changed them so frequently (Every 8-11K miles) that I actually kept two fresh sets on the shelf in my garage. I got so good at changing them out that one day while I was coming home and had somewhere else to be I went almost metal-to-metal on the pads, so I pulled into the driveway, did the swap, and was on the road in under 10 minutes.

But I digress. Crappy design aside, it sounds to me like your calipers are not releasing correctly and the pads and rotors are rapidly wearing due to the constant contact. Have you cleaned and lubed or replaced the slide bolts anywhere along the way?

~ MattInSoCal

JennyA
06-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Waterfowler - Funny thing is, I didn't even realize it was that many alignments until I went back through my records, looking for the information about my rotors and brakes. That's how it's been with this car - just go through the motions. You think you're doing an outrageous amount of work to keep it on the road, and when you go back and look, your thoughts are confirmed. I don't know why it's always out of alignment. But, honestly, I don't think it ever gets INTO alignment.

I bought the rotors from Summit Racing. They are PowerStop front brake discs. Cross-drilled ($114.48/each), part #EBC-GD7265;
Brakes were the "Green Brakes," part # EBC-DP21763
The people who installed them thought it was hysterical. But I wasn't joking.

Matt - I wish I could believe in you and go out and spend more money to do what you suggested. But, honestly, I've read so many horror stories about this, and I've heard people have done what you've suggested (and numerous other things), and I am even a victim of trying something outrageous to fix the problem... and it seems to me that nothing fixes it. Money down the drain.

mvillase
10-09-2010, 01:25 AM
i have a 06 sedan with 97,000 highway miles. recently, i notice a quick jerk/pop when accelerating in 1st and 2nd gear only. if i am on the highway going over 40mph, i dont hear anything and i never experience this while decelerating. this only happens though usually 30-45 mins into my trip. sometimes i can go an entire trip without any issues. if it was transmission problem, wouldnt it do this all the time? i also notice that when the quick jerk/pop is present, there is no hesitation or struggling to accelerate. i took it to a few places and one guy said i need a total rebuild based on looking at my fluid but he never drove it. my other guy(who i trust and has been working on my families cars) said it is changing gears normally. the pop/jerk is a mounting issue. also worth noting, when the jerk/pop is present, when i change from reverse to drive and vice versa, i also feel it. i need help???

filian
10-09-2010, 04:17 AM
mvillase,
Ive had that problem too when I first got my 6 & it felt like an old auto honda tranny when it jerks during shift. Some Lucas oil tranny additive helped alot for me. Maybe flushing out that old fluid for some new will help.

jpbales
10-11-2010, 03:47 PM
I figured I would jump on this bandwagon and go ahead and list out my problems. It's amazing how sucky the dealership repairs can be- I know from experience. It seems like there's always something they forget to do or work that they do wrong- stuff that's obviously, plainly not right but somehow they miss.
I've had a bunch of things on my car fixed under the CPO warranty (thank God for that warranty!!):
-door reflector missing
-CD player would not work (replaced)
-back seat release latches broken (back seats would not re-latch once pulled down)
-evap purge solenoid cracked (i noticed a funny rhythmic hissing sound coming from under the hood)
*then I had my accident and it was fully repaired*
-air inlet actuator gear stripped and replaced (gear grind noise when switching A/C to recirculate/recycle mode)
-window whistled because loose bolt- repaired (with lock-tight according to invoice- high tech repair right there lol)
-cargo net retainer broken... replaced three times but still won't stay on... finally just glued it down w/ Gorilla glue- strong as a rock now
-driver side lower kick panel trim fell off- replaced
-trunk lock bezel seal (around key hole on trunk)- was clearly not repaired correctly after the accident, it was hanging off- replaced (invoice says: "rotted out rubber seal"- how could it be rotted out if they just replaced it?? shotty dealer repair work)
-Bad gas cap and engine code- replaced gas cap- still get check engine code
-noisy steering column at low noise- replaced intermediate shaft- still makes noise
-bad left front tie rod end- caused vibration at 35-45 mph speeds- replaced
-3rd brake lamp not fixed after wreck... still waiting on dealer to call me when they get the parts they need

new stuff that needs to be fixed:
-cracked trim piece on dashboard up in front by the windshield by where the light sensor is- i have no idea how that broke, maybe from accident
-interior trim on passenger side is falling off- looks like the cover for the fuze box on that side

Most of these things are not from external causes. It seems like something new comes up each time I get home from the dealership! By the time everything is fixed there's not going to be much of the original car left! Hopefully all of these things are just little flukes and not a trend for this car. Many people have 2006 G6s that have no problems- hopefully after this stuff gets fixed mine will be one of those cars. I'm planning on printing out the TSB that has to do with the noisy steering column and taking it to the dealer next time I'm up there with those other things that need to get fixed. It can be found here: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f53/suspension-squeeking-over-bumps-57730/

jpbales
10-11-2010, 03:50 PM
By the way, there's a website dedicated to car complaints. Suprise, the 2006 G6 has a LOT of complaints:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Pontiac/G6/2006/index.shtml
The majority of them have to do with the steering- 155 actually. If you look up other year models of the G6 they're not nearly as bad. The 2005 model has 55 steering complaints and the 2007 model has 22 complaints- just for comparison. I don't really regret buying my car, and I love it despite its flaws, but I wish I knew about this site before I bought it!

Abyssul
10-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Weird. The only problem I've had with my 2006 G6 is a faulty resistor in my A/C blower control and my FOB acts up. Everything else works fine. I did have my steering replaced, but that was covered by warranty. I didn't even notice any symptoms.

My rotors might be warped too. It's not terrible though.

Carshateme
10-11-2010, 05:39 PM
I have came across a few G6s with blown rear speakers. What's with that?

Ha, Yea I had that problem, my front driver side speaker also went out. I ended up just buying a whole system and such...then the cd player decided to go out. The rear speakers are a pain trying to remove (Since there is rear air bags.) The front speakers are also hard to install.

Total cost: $3,250. (Speakers (all four): $500. Brand new cd player: $599. Second Diagonis system: $145. Rest of the expense went to subwoofers and amplifer)

Abyssul
10-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Total cost: $3,250. (Speakers (all four): $500. Brand new cd player: $599. Second Diagonis system: $145. Rest of the expense went to subwoofers and amplifer)

I hope all of that is plated in gold and studded with diamonds because that is way too expensive for even the best gear.

jpbales
10-11-2010, 07:25 PM
I hope all of that is plated in gold and studded with diamonds because that is way too expensive for even the best gear.

I kind of agree with him, that's a TON to spend on something like that for your car. Personally, I'm pretty content with the Monsoon system. I don't need my windows to be blown out by the bass- along with my ear drums and my consideration for those around me in traffic.

Abyssul
10-11-2010, 09:07 PM
If only I had known that all I needed was LOC, I would've added a simple subwoofer instead of paying 300 dollars for an factory amp bypass.... Oh well.

Add me onto the list of jerky shifting from 1-2 as well as 2-3. I also had a tranny flush to no avail in solving the symptom.

Abyssul
10-11-2010, 09:11 PM
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/heavychevy396/2009-12-20_153913_6-07-30-023B.pdf

Hmmm I wonder if my car is still under warranty with 86k miles HA! Damn... I'll deal with the jerky shifting before I go selling my soul to the stealership.

Edit: Just remembered that I still have my 36 month auto insurance I bought when I first bought the car. Bingo! :) Time to get her fixed up.

Also this:
http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-6256.html

wantboost
10-16-2010, 10:22 PM
After reading all this it reminded me of all my GM's i have had and it tells me to stay AWAY!! Im looking for a DD i only looked at the g6 cause of the low price....

hndah8r
10-16-2010, 10:28 PM
I like my 06 G6. Its doesnt have any problems since I bought it new except for the clunking steering which was taken care of then. I only wish the G6 had more power...lol.

Wantboost, you can buy mine for $9,800 and it comes with extras... :wink but I live in TN. (pics are in Member rides thread)

filian
10-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Knock on wood but my 6 hasnt given me any problems so far. oh except my damb auto start wont work ever since i used my cruise control for the first time. Not sure if that was the problem just happened around the same time.

piri0027
10-18-2010, 01:14 AM
i recently bought my 09 g6 sport 2 3.5l v6 (aug 2009) and a few weeks after i bought it the engine started ticking a bit, now i have a loud ticking noise from the engine and a trans that gets stuck in 2nd perioically...called gm numerous times they are finally taking the car to try and fix this problem, i have had it in 5 times and same answer..."we cant duplicate the problem, sorry." so i got pissed and had contacted some ppl, hope they can fix it, its still brand new!
I have also had problems with the 6 disk cd (its screwed) my dealer is replacing and they have also replaced the panel by the windshield (the clips broke from the cold of winter...i live in northern mn). i hope they can fix my car i have done alot of work to it such as akebono racing brakes, gxp street scene front clip, lots of custom chroming, leather seats, mtx subs, custom engine paint, and a few minor things. anybody else had any of these problems with theres?
if so what was wrong?:eek: check out my car and let me know what you think, i need some reccomendations on what to do next also...but if they cant fix it im going with a 3.6L and a turbo kit once this one goes and a shiftable trans...

piri0027
10-18-2010, 01:21 AM
I figured I would jump on this bandwagon and go ahead and list out my problems. It's amazing how sucky the dealership repairs can be- I know from experience. It seems like there's always something they forget to do or work that they do wrong- stuff that's obviously, plainly not right but somehow they miss.
I've had a bunch of things on my car fixed under the CPO warranty (thank God for that warranty!!):
-door reflector missing
-back seat release latches broken (back seats would not re-latch once pulled down)
-evap purge solenoid cracked (i noticed a funny rhythmic hissing sound coming from under the hood)
-air inlet actuator gear stripped and replaced (gear grind noise when switching A/C to recirculate/recycle mode)
-window whistled because loose bolt- repaired (with lock-tight according to invoice- high tech repair right there lol)
-cargo net retainer broken... replaced three times but still won't stay on... finally just glued it down w/ Gorilla glue- strong as a rock now
-trunk lock bezel seal (around key hole on trunk)- was clearly not repaired correctly after the accident, it was hanging off- replaced (invoice says: "rotted out rubber seal"- how could it be rotted out if they just replaced it?? shotty dealer repair work)
-noisy steering column at low noise- replaced intermediate shaft- still makes noise
-3rd brake lamp not fixed after wreck... still waiting on dealer to call me when they get the parts they need

new stuff that needs to be fixed:
-cracked trim piece on dashboard up in front by the windshield by where the light sensor is- i have no idea how that broke, maybe from accident
-interior trim on passenger side is falling off- looks like the cover for the fuze box on that side

Most of these things are not from external causes. It seems like something new comes up each time I get home from the dealership! By the time everything is fixed there's not going to be much of the original car left! Hopefully all of these things are just little flukes and not a trend for this car. Many people have 2006 G6s that have no problems- hopefully after this stuff gets fixed mine will be one of those cars. I'm planning on printing out the TSB that has to do with the noisy steering column and taking it to the dealer next time I'm up there with those other things that need to get fixed. It can be found here: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f53/suspension-squeeking-over-bumps-57730/
had the same prob with my panel its from cold temps the original plastic is bad and needs to be replaced, also my 6 disk is stuck...plus many other probs such as trans and engine ticking bad...key fobs both replaced...

MattInSoCal
10-19-2010, 01:21 AM
My 2009 GT just went to the dealer today with 700 miles left on the warranty. The A/C stopped working suddenly on Saturday, and half an hour later the MIL lit up with a P0128 code. They replaced the thermostat. They also ordered a new driver's seat track to replace the one that's causing an intermittent squeak. Gotta look for any other defects before December or so when I hit the magin 36,000 mark.

~ MattInSoCal

G6-Lover
10-19-2010, 01:34 AM
Our dealer here does a full look over of the car before your warranty is up. Replaces anything that needs to be and some stuff just for good measure. Not sure if every dealer does that or not but.

wantboost
10-24-2010, 01:53 AM
does the g8 have alot of problems too?

G6-Lover
10-24-2010, 05:05 AM
Not sure if you'll find alot about the G8 Here, im sure they have a forum if you do a search for one. Probably would be your best bet

jpbales
11-04-2010, 10:28 AM
ok, so I finally got my car back into the dealership to get the new list of issues taken care of.
Here are the things that I have already had taken care of:
-door reflector missing

And here's the new stuff that I had them fix/look at:
-the occasional rough start and idle- about 1 in 20 starts; I've used some fuel additive and the problem still came back; they could not duplicate the problem but they checked all of the gas lines/hoses and they cleaned the throttle body because it was dirty. Hopefully that will help.
-Cracked dash trim- they replaced it
-Check engine code P0442 (evap system leak): evap vent solenoid not sealing- replaced evap vent solenoid. They test drove the car and the code came back on so they replaced the gas cap (AGAIN). Hopefully it will stay away this time.
-3rd brake lamp not centered: they replaced the assembly
-Loose car trim: they removed and put the trim back on correctly. It must have gotten kicked out of place or something I guess.
-Sun roof wind noise: I can hear wind noise coming from the sun roof- the noise dampens when I close the cover for the sun roof which is how I know that it's from the sun roof; they found a passenger window air leak and adjusted the window... that doesn't really seem to address the sun roof though...
-Steering wheel column noise STILL occurs even after replacing the I-Shaft: they put "cause: intermediate shaft noisy" and they replaced the I-Shaft AGAIN. This time they looked at the bulletin I attached to my list and they lubricated it also. The I-shaft is now much less noisy, but I still got it to the make the noise when I drove over a speed bump while turning the wheel. It did seem much better though by not squeaking after every single impurity in the road.

So, hopefully the steering wheel column noise will at least be better for now on. I understand that it probably will never be perfect.

Also, if you have any ideas of what might be causing my occasion rough start and idle, please let me know. Most of the time, the car starts perfectly fine. But once in a while, it will try to start and not make it OR it will try and try and finally start but then the idle will be really weird and rough sounding with the RPMs constantly moving a little up and down. Whenever this occurs, if I turn the car off, wait a few seconds, and then try again it usually starts just fine. One time it was kind of bad though and took me more than one try, which was really concerning. Sometimes it occurs after I have been driving the car already, stopped and turned the car off and then came back out to the car and tried to start it again a few minutes later (went to check my mail on my way home one time, stopped at a gas station another time)- but not every time. It's kind of embarrassing when you have a nice looking car but you can't even get it start :mad:

hndah8r
11-04-2010, 11:19 AM
If your talkin about the over cranking issue, then I hate to say this, but you have to go back to the dealership and have them re-flash your ecu. If they have a confused look on their faces, just demand that they reflash the pcm with the udated soft ware and that should take care of the over cranking issue.

I know exactly how you feel about the cranking issue. I have a pretty loud exhaust and when I would try to start it would crank and crank and not even start....lol. Its a pretty gay problem, but only the dealership can fix it unfortunately.

j.gill
11-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Hi there , i have a problem in my steering i gain more power assist to the the right and less to the left . What do you think it is? can it be the electrical steering pump or a spool valve. or is it in the sterring rack it self. asweel i get trouble with starter when its cold it keep crankin even though it started so i turn it off and start again its a 2006 g6 sedan .reply

mikeyp1021
11-10-2010, 08:45 AM
I have a 06 g6 gt. When i accelerate i hear a sort of scratching when i accelerate. If anyone has experienced this problem can you give me a solution. thanks.

2006gtp
11-13-2010, 09:00 PM
I have a 2006 GTP 4 door with LOTS and LOTS of problems!!! at 33k miles it needed new head gaskets. It took over 2 weeks to repair. I have had the blower motor replaced TWICE, headlights replaces, front wheel hubs replaced due to 'excessive clearance', three sets of brakes within the first 40k miles due to warping.

The water pump went out last month and was replaced as well. I decided to spend some $$ and replace my front brakes with ceramic pads and slotted rotors in an attempt to fix the shimmy and shake when the brakes are applied.

Today I needed to go to the grocery store and backed out of the driveway, put it in DRIVE and put my foot on the gas and the engine revved as if I was in neutral. I was desperate to get the car back in the driveway so i tried the manual shift mode to try and engage the transmission. I was able to get it in 1st gear and limp it into the driveway but not without 1st gear slipping.

I am horrified that at 63k miles and impeccable maintenence I am having such a huge problem. The car was towed to the dealer this evening and they told me the car needs a new transmission. 4k bucks for the transmission and another 1k or so for labor.

I am glad I purchased a very good extended warranty with 5 years and 100k miles shortly after the head gaskets blew. I have no deductible and it covers everything so I wont have to pay a dime for this.

I have had the car for 4.5 years and I regret ever buying it knowing what I know now. I will never purchase another GM vehicle as long as there are Japanese cars for sale.

Dav3
11-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Any 2006 G6's with problems out there?

no man they are flawless

Lampoon
11-15-2010, 05:39 AM
Goooodmorning Peeeps.....I drove my new car today! Dont worry....I still have the G6.

waterfowler76
11-15-2010, 07:33 AM
Goooodmorning Peeeps.....I drove my new car today! Dont worry....I still have the G6.

....so this is the second post where you reference that you have a new addition to your family, but you have yet to tell us what you got :confused:

......so what is it?

Lampoon
11-15-2010, 07:53 AM
I bought an S281E.

filian
11-15-2010, 03:10 PM
I bought an S281E.

Nice. what color? It would be hard for me to have any fun in my 6 after driving a v8 saleen

Lampoon
11-15-2010, 03:13 PM
That E stands for Extreme!!!

Black.

waterfowler76
11-15-2010, 08:34 PM
..Just saw pics of the new toy :eek: ....Nice!!!!

filian
11-16-2010, 07:55 AM
I want to see some pics. Hey Lampoon can you post some?

06whiteg6
11-16-2010, 10:19 AM
I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 and so far ive had new water pump put in, new transmission, powersteering rack and pump, new camshaft and lifters that got pitted, exhaust leaks alittle at flex pipe, sunroof leaks, and now my head gasket is leaking along with my 2nd tranny blown thats going to the dealer again...

G6Boy
11-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Hello everyone I too have a 06 Pontiac G6. It will be a year this Feb. that I have owned it. So far I have had the throttle body cleaned to eliminate the starter from catching on starting the engine or from hesitation on starts, cleaned injectors, new tires all around, 2 alignments, front brakes rotors and pads replaced they seem to be working good, flushed out anti-freeze at 50k, new air filter, oil's changed every 2500 or 3k. Also I've had the Intermediate steering shaft lubed once then replaced it due to thud in steering. Recent repairs are front struts from leaking, and rear brake rotors and pads due to squeaking they still do occasionally squeak when stopping the car suddenly not gradually. And I have a front end squeak (wine) noise going over slight bumps happens on and off. Other than all that car seems to be good knock on wood!

Lampoon
11-17-2010, 04:06 AM
COuld use a "how to" on the intake removal and cleaning.....??

soccermomx2
11-17-2010, 08:21 AM
Good morning G6 owners,

Ok so I fell inlove with the G6 awhile ago. Purchased a 2006 G6 V6 in Jan with 70kms on it. I have since had problems with the tie rod, front & brake breaks both replaced with rotors. Now Im experiencing when driving & I reach 100-120 the steering wheel shakes as well when accelerating I hear like a whistling noise. Any idea what this could be as well any suggestions on if I should take it to the dealer or my well trusted mechanic?
Please help. Not looking forward to spending a lot of money. Cant win with a car cant win without

waterfowler76
11-17-2010, 08:34 AM
shaking sounds like maybe a wheels out of balance.

Mtesch
11-17-2010, 06:56 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum!
I've owned a 2006 G6 GT sedan (3500V6) in Granite Metallic Color for about 4 and half years now.
Some of you seem to be having some huge problems! So far I'm at 53k miles and have had only a few issues.
-I had the rotors replaced once at about 35k miles at the same time as the brake pads and 4-tires because the car shook when I braked.
-Occasionally the brakes squeal when stopping.
-At any speed over 50mph the car vibrates in pulses ( idk if it needs balancing AGAIN?)

All these problems were minor, but the Panoramic Roof worries me! It rattles nonstop, especially when the car undergoes any kind of torsion. The pins in the 3rd panel came out at about 40k miles and it was free floating on the track. The pins were put back in, but something must be broken in the track mechanism. Dealer says a full replacement for 1500 bucks is the only option. For now it doesn't leak (other than the wind leak) so I just put up with it.

-The only other thing that worries me is the tranny. It seems to be a bit rough shifting 1-2 and 2-3 and I now my dad's grand prix had a blown tranny at low miles...

Other than these minor worries I love my G6 to death! The chrome accents and rims are nice, the color is unique. The red gauges/lighting inside gets lots of compliments. The black leather and panoramic roof usually get tons of compliments too! The engine is torquey and responsive and manages 24mpg even with decent power.

I hope you guys have better luck with your 6's because I love mine! Time to do some mods to it though =P

G6Boy
11-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Hello all about a month ago I got my rear brakes done on my 06 G6 replaced rotors and pads to try to eliminate squeaking when brakes were applied at times. After I got the car back for the first week the brakes were squeaking alot more when applied. I brought my car back today to invistigate, I bought ceramic pads the first time and the mechanic said thats why you have brake noise the front brakes on the g6 you can use ceramic but the rears I was told require thermo-quiet organic pads to prevent noise problems. The ceramic pads that came off the car that were put on a month ago the sides were getting melted from noise and brake's being applyed. I left the rotors alone cause there only one month old so I will see if there is an improvement with this. So far not a peep from the brakes driving it home. Just thought I would share the info has anyone else hear this type of advice from anyone?

G6Boy
11-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Back again! I went to return the messed up ceramic pads back, and while driving home sure enough there is still squeaking in the rear..

jpbales
11-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Hey guys. I've got more fun problems! Woo!
So they "fixed" the 'check gas cap' problem and the check engine code... but it's back again! Now it takes it a few weeks for it to come on after being cleared instead of the same day. So maybe there's two evap system leaks. So I've got to go back for that.
PLUS the steering wheel is acting up AGAIN. So they lubed the shaft and the squeeking went away for about a week but now it's as bad as before. That I can live with. But now, the steering wheel makes a "knock" or "clunk" noise when the wheel is turned from right to left. It makes the noise right as the wheel hits the center point. I can feel it in the pedal as well as hear it.
The sun roof still makes wind noise. I feel like it doesn't go down all the way and make a complete seal. It doesn't seem to leak water though. If I push down on it from the outside there does seem to be some wiggle room.
The trunk lid seems to have scratched the paint on the bumper where it closes. It's like it hits when it closes.
And that seems to be all the problems for now. I'm at Lake Lure, North Carolina driving around on the mountain roads- lots of fun in the G6! It handles like a dream on these roads! I'll have to post a pic of the car I took at Chimney Rock. I saw another blue G6 there at the same time too.

slls
11-21-2010, 08:54 AM
knock, clunk, the intermediate shaft needs lube.

jpbales
11-21-2010, 09:23 AM
well they lubed the I-shaft when they put the new one in but it still has problems :???:

ashadaman
11-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Hey im a new g6 owner, and my driver side door wont lock, it clicks, and all the other doors lock, but the driver side will not go down, does anyone no a quick fix for this, or would i have to take my car to the shop. im not to familiar with pontiac, but if anyone might know a little it would be appreciated.

G6-Lover
11-23-2010, 10:15 AM
check and see if the pin to the lock the door (not sure what to call it) is rubbing mine did the samething and thats what it was

G6Boy
11-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Happy Turkey day all. Just got my car back from my awesome mechanic. I reported a post a little while back that my rear brakes were squeaking and the corner of the pads were melted. They were replaced and the squeaking still occured. So I replaced the front pads, the front rotors were already replaced 3 months ago. No More Squeak the car stops on a dime. There still is the occasional wine sound coming from the car which I thought was from the front end. The struts were replaced a month ago all of the entire front end of the car checks out no safety issues but I'm convinced the noise is coming from the inside of the car from somewhere not sure where or what so I'm just going to have to put up with it! What made me feel good and me and my mechanic go way back he said my G6 is the newest best looking and maintained gm car he has ever worked on two other customers of his have a newer model than mine and there in sad mechanical shape he said!

G6-Lover
11-24-2010, 11:59 PM
Good to hear :)

rob o
12-09-2010, 03:23 PM
PLEASE HELP!!!! i dont know much about cars but being just before xmas with 4 kids i need some do it my slef help....i was losing hot air from the heat when car would stop moving and regain when i would drive, i was told to check fluid and it was low so i filled with dex coolant it sucked it down and 4 hours later when cooled i filled again only this time about 3/4 inch over the cold fill line...fluid is now leaking from a hole i can stick my pinky in under the coolant overflow tank is this normal???could it be from me addding to much coolant?? and im not sure if it was doing this before i noticed i was low on coolant but i dont think it was.....any advice especially on that hole is helpful..thanks

waterfowler76
12-09-2010, 03:56 PM
i know for a fact this has been talked about here....try searching and if i get a chance ill look around

waterfowler76
12-09-2010, 04:01 PM
try here http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6490&highlight=coolant+leaking

sdsbrookes
12-22-2010, 01:13 PM
I have a 2006 G6 coupe and I was driving the other day and all of a sudden the ABS and the Brake lights came on. I parked my car and read through the manual and it said to get it checked because I could lose my brakes. My brakes felt fine, there was no difference in pressure or anything. I took it to the shop and it was reading codes: C-0281-DRP performance, C-0550 ECU Performance, C-0161 ABS/TCS Brake Switch Circuit Fault. Has anyone had any of these problems before or know what could be wrong? Again, my brakes are fine but I am just worried about how much it may cost to get fixed :-/

E-mail me sdsbrookes@gmail.com or post a reply

Thanks!
Dana

sdsbrookes
12-22-2010, 01:19 PM
I have a 2006 G6 coupe and I was driving the other day and all of a sudden the ABS and the Brake lights came on. I parked my car and read through the manual and it said to get it checked because I could lose my brakes. My brakes felt fine, there was no difference in pressure or anything. I took it to the shop and it was reading codes: C-0281-DRP performance, C-0550 ECU Performance, C-0161 ABS/TCS Brake Switch Circuit Fault. Has anyone had any of these problems before or know what could be wrong? Again, my brakes are fine but I am just worried about how much it may cost to get fixed :-/

Thanks!
Dana

G6R
12-30-2010, 04:31 AM
I have a issue with my G6. I notice today that there is no power after i hit 40mph. and there is a rubbing noise. This never happen before. It's kind of hard to really to explain what is going on with my g6. Does anyone have a idea what this could be?

mikeyp1021
01-05-2011, 07:22 AM
i have a 06 g6 gt 2dr convertible. about a month ago when i accelerate there was like a scratching noise that happened rarely. then the frequency of it started to occur more and more often. now when i accelerate above 2,500 rpms it starts to scratch and it sounds horrible. idk if this has happened to anyone before, or is it just my luck? if anyone knows anything of what it can be or how i can solve it please let me know.! thanks guys

jpbales
01-05-2011, 12:15 PM
My car has had a check engine light on along with a "check gas cap" message which appears pretty often- almost everytime I get in the car I have to hit enter to clear it and make the alarm sound go away. To address this issue, the dealerships said "could not duplicate...passed testing." I guess their evap system test didn't find any leaks and so they cleared the check engine code. When I drove the car in today the "check gas cap" message just happened to not appear (of all days!!!) and to my surprise it didn't even appear on my way home either. I suppose that all they did was clear the check engine code and send me on my way. I'm sure in a couple of weeks or a month it will come back along with the gas cap message. Can't wait.

Also, my trunk lid is scratching up the rear bumper. It's pretty obvious from the pattern of the scratches (they follow exactly along where the trunk lid sits) and if you look closely at the trunk lid you can see scratches on it as well. Guess what the stealership told me- "dirt" on the trunk lid must have done that. What BS!!! I wash my car every couple of weeks usually and I've never driven it in enough mud that it could possibly fill a 1/4" gap and cause scratches. When I got home I put ink on the edge of the trunk lid and a piece of paper on the bumper where the scratches were. Lo and behold, the ink rubs off onto the paper when the trunk closes. I don't slam it either. Either the mechanics at the dealership are retarded (which they may be from my experience) or they are lazy and don't feel like doing the work which GM is going to pay them for anyway (since it's warranty work).

My steering column was very clunky and shaky and so they told me that it was "out of adjustment" and they "repositioned intermediate shaft." It seemed to have solved the problem (at least for now). The steering wheel doesn't feel as loose and easy at it did before also. I didn't notice any of that annoying squeaking either.

My brakes have been vibrating a little, but it only became noticeable when the steering column would shudder loudly from it. Now that the steering column isn't so loose it's barely noticeable. As I suspected, the rotors are warped and they recommended having them resurfaced- but it's not covered by the warranty. The dealer told me it would cost $150 to have them resurfaced so I said "I would think about it," but I actually meant "no way in h*ll."

I'm at least glad the steering wheel seems better now- I really hope it lasts. I'm disappointed about the trunk lid and I'm praying to God about the evap system leak. Those "check gas cap" messages are SOOOO annoying. I'll make sure not to clear it next time I go in there. I was at the dealership for 3+ hours despite the guy telling me it would take maybe an hour. I figured he would have at least came in there to tell me it would take longer. Luckily I'm still job hunting and don't have anything else to do today.

nickya0721
01-12-2011, 04:30 PM
someone help with my panoramic sunroof, i really dont feel like typing it all out, but to make a long story short, it got stuck open and i got it closed now it wont open!! its so annoying i need help.

RLanois
01-14-2011, 07:21 AM

Nope 130,000 and going strong. I had a 4 wheel alignment done when I replaced the wheels on the car. I had one stock wheel that kept losing air in the tire. $400.00 rim to replace so I replace all when I got new tires as a package deal. No problem with shake or losing air.

2006 G6 GT

RLanois
01-14-2011, 07:26 AM

Thanks!
Dana

You may need to replace the front wheel hub assembly. The ABS picks up the signal from there. I had to replace mine for different reasons the bearings were grinding at around 100,000 miles and that is where I saw the ABS sensor. You also can check the wiring for them at all four wheels.

Good luck.

RLanois
01-14-2011, 07:36 AM
My car has had a check engine light on along with a "check gas cap" message which appears pretty often- almost everytime I get in the car I have to hit enter to clear it and make the alarm sound go away. To address this issue, the dealerships said "could not duplicate...passed testing." I guess their evap system test didn't find any leaks and so they cleared the check engine code. When I drove the car in today the "check gas cap" message just happened to not appear (of all days!!!) and to my surprise it didn't even appear on my way home either. I suppose that all they did was clear the check engine code and send me on my way. I'm sure in a couple of weeks or a month it will come back along with the gas cap message. Can't wait.

Also, my trunk lid is scratching up the rear bumper. It's pretty obvious from the pattern of the scratches (they follow exactly along where the trunk lid sits) and if you look closely at the trunk lid you can see scratches on it as well. Guess what the stealership told me- "dirt" on the trunk lid must have done that. What BS!!! I wash my car every couple of weeks usually and I've never driven it in enough mud that it could possibly fill a 1/4" gap and cause scratches. When I got home I put ink on the edge of the trunk lid and a piece of paper on the bumper where the scratches were. Lo and behold, the ink rubs off onto the paper when the trunk closes. I don't slam it either. Either the mechanics at the dealership are retarded (which they may be from my experience) or they are lazy and don't feel like doing the work which GM is going to pay them for anyway (since it's warranty work).

My steering column was very clunky and shaky and so they told me that it was "out of adjustment" and they "repositioned intermediate shaft." It seemed to have solved the problem (at least for now). The steering wheel doesn't feel as loose and easy at it did before also. I didn't notice any of that annoying squeaking either.

My brakes have been vibrating a little, but it only became noticeable when the steering column would shudder loudly from it. Now that the steering column isn't so loose it's barely noticeable. As I suspected, the rotors are warped and they recommended having them resurfaced- but it's not covered by the warranty. The dealer told me it would cost $150 to have them resurfaced so I said "I would think about it," but I actually meant "no way in h*ll."

I'm at least glad the steering wheel seems better now- I really hope it lasts. I'm disappointed about the trunk lid and I'm praying to God about the evap system leak. Those "check gas cap" messages are SOOOO annoying. I'll make sure not to clear it next time I go in there. I was at the dealership for 3+ hours despite the guy telling me it would take maybe an hour. I figured he would have at least came in there to tell me it would take longer. Luckily I'm still job hunting and don't have anything else to do today.

Your steering shaft seems to have had a bad universal joint on it. The replacement resolved that. Your brakes could be like mine they warp. Replace them but make sure of where you get them. Do not go to Autozone and get a Chinese steel rotor. Replace it with good solid American steel rotors. They are a little more but you wont go through what I did replacing mine three times in 1.5 years. Yes all under waranty from Autozone but why spend the time. Do it rigth the first time. I got slotted and dimpled but I think that is an over kill. Next time I will only get slotted. It keeps the rotors cooler and has better stopping power.

bstower2007
01-21-2011, 06:58 AM
I have had so many issues with my 2006 Pontiac G6. Just had to have ALL of the brakes replaced in December of 2010. Intermediate shaft had to be replaced in Spring of 2010. Then just this month (January 2011) I took my G6 in for shaking above 60mph and a loud rattling/clunking noise coming from the front end. I was told I needed to replace the steering column, have 2 tie rods replaced, the tires & alignment needed balanced and rotated, and I need 2 new front struts. Of course, the struts aren't covered under warranty and are the most expensive part! The balance & rotation wasn't under warranty either and cost around $70 at the dealership. They wanted to charge me $600 for the struts so I will be contacting an independent mechanic for a price quote from him.

MikeAAA
01-21-2011, 08:31 AM
I called GM about my 2006 G6 power steering. They blew me off. I had to spend over 700 dollars to get it fix. They act like they don't know about it. What happens is that the power steering will apear on when first start the car and go away and eventually the steering wheel will jerk and rattle all by itself and then power steering will go in and out. This starts about 60,000 miles - fairly common. I made a complaint with NHTSA- 1-888-327-4236 . If you have the same problem please call NHTSA. This needs to be recalled!!!

Exact same problem with 2006 G6 4 cylinder with only 16,000 (yes 16,000) miles on it. GM customer service was no help. Original estimate of $825 for new ELECTRIC power assist motor. After 4 days of calling GM, dealer finally said he would install replacement motor for labor only of $225. 2005 G6 and Chevy Cobalts were recalled with same problem, as well as a limited number od 2006 depending on VIN number. PLEASE report this problem to NHTSA. They issue a recall once enough complaints or crashes occur, not GM. This is a SAFETY issue which GM refuses to address until pushed by NHTSA. Please report all power steering problems.

G6Boy
01-31-2011, 07:12 PM
Hello all happy 2011. Its been a while since I recently posted something on here I guess thats a good thing right ha ha. My 06 G6 I previously had a starting issue with it nothing major, but it intermittedly would happen when cranking the car over it would sound like the starter would hang a little bit but the car would always start. This issue seems like it is slowly coming back and I was told cleaning the Throttle Body would eliminate this issue. After I did that it worked which was done a few months ago just wondering if there is anything else that could possible help this issue to be a issue no more? The injectors were also cleaned in the past and the air filter is not even a year old. Thanks all!

Jtd2005g6
02-02-2011, 09:24 PM
My 2005 g6 gt isn't starting but has full power anyone have any ideas?

BORN2SKI
02-02-2011, 09:33 PM
My 2005 g6 gt isn't starting but has full power anyone have any ideas?

Care to elaborate?
What does it do when you try to start it?

Jtd2005g6
02-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Care to elaborate?
What does it do when you try to start it?

Nothing, when I turn the key to the on position all the electronics work but it won't turn over . I tried jumping the poles in the starter to see if it was even engaging and it seems to be working fine .

BORN2SKI
02-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Nothing, when I turn the key to the on position all the electronics work but it won't turn over . I tried jumping the poles in the starter to see if it was even engaging and it seems to be working fine .

Is there a clicking noise?

Jtd2005g6
02-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Not in the starter , just the voice from the fans and normal prestart noise . Have you heard anything like this happening before I'm completely stumped and don't want to blow money on a starter that's not blown.

waterfowler76
02-03-2011, 07:26 AM
i would say just for the hell of it to test your battery.... sometimes it will seem fine but under load it dies.

Nacole01
03-03-2011, 10:22 AM
I have just put some rims on my 2006 G6 and now they telling me that my camber on all 4 tires are not lined up right.

T3zZYy
03-03-2011, 11:40 AM
i <3 my 06..no problems

Lexie2569
03-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Problems with the 2006 G6? Where should I begin!! I have the GT Coupe. This is by far the WORST Pontiac I have ever bought! My laundry list of items that I have to fix are:

5 leaks inside the car: 1 leak at each front seatbelt causing such a stench due to the fact that the seatbelt cannot possibly dry out. I imagine this will create a mold issue since it already smells like mildew. 1 leak at each back panel along the doorframe coming down by the rear window & 1 leak in the dome light.

1 Front Headlight leak

2 broken mirror covers on the visor. Driver side has broken 4 times, passenger side has broken 3 times. Both broke within a month of owning this car.

1 broken passenger seat handle: this has broken completely off 4 times now. All were covered within the original warranty of the car & now Pontiac refuses to cover it & wants to charge me about $75 just for the part. Why?? It's only going to break off again! Needless to say I feel its a safety hazard to have anyone in the rear passenger seat since they can't quickly exit in an emergency.

Panel attached to the dash at the passenger feet side is coming off.

Steering recall for the G4 & G5 should have escalated to the G6 as well. I had the same exact issue as the recall & GM/Pontiac refused to cover it. Instead they offered me $2000 towards a new Pontiac. In their dreams!!

Starting problem since week 1 of owning the car: I'd turn the key, it would sound like it's starting & then die right away. Dealer of course could not replicate the problem & doesn't have any records of me bringing the car in numerous times for this issue & now the problem has escalated to several times a day instead of maybe once a week.

It kills me to think of all the money I wasted on this car & now have to put all this money into fixing what I think should be a GM issue!!

vbrum01
03-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Problems with the 2006 G6? Where should I begin!! I have the GT Coupe. This is by far the WORST Pontiac I have ever bought! My laundry list of items that I have to fix are:

5 leaks inside the car: 1 leak at each front seatbelt causing such a stench due to the fact that the seatbelt cannot possibly dry out. I imagine this will create a mold issue since it already smells like mildew. 1 leak at each back panel along the doorframe coming down by the rear window & 1 leak in the dome light.

1 Front Headlight leak

2 broken mirror covers on the visor. Driver side has broken 4 times, passenger side has broken 3 times. Both broke within a month of owning this car.

1 broken passenger seat handle: this has broken completely off 4 times now. All were covered within the original warranty of the car & now Pontiac refuses to cover it & wants to charge me about $75 just for the part. Why?? It's only going to break off again! Needless to say I feel its a safety hazard to have anyone in the rear passenger seat since they can't quickly exit in an emergency.

Steering recall for the G4 & G5 should have escalated to the G6 as well. I had the same exact issue as the recall & GM/Pontiac refused to cover it. Instead they offered me $2000 towards a new Pontiac. In their dreams!!

Starting problem since week 1 of owning the car: I'd turn the key, it would sound like it's starting & then die right away. Dealer of course could not replicate the problem & doesn't have any records of me bringing the car in numerous times for this issue & now the problem has escalated to several times a day instead of maybe once a week.

It kills me to think of all the money I wasted on this car & now have to put all this money into fixing what I think should be a GM issue!!

Had the leak problem, have broken mirror covers, steering problem I got Pontiac to fix I believe they did do a recall or "extended warranty".

sher37
03-05-2011, 02:38 PM
I had issues with my 2007 G6 randomly NOT starting, yes all electical aspects worked, it would not turn over however. I took it into a Midas and they tested the battery and they said it was going bad. They put in an Interstate battery and I have not had any more issues.

metal2469
03-06-2011, 08:02 AM
I've got almost 50k miles and I had alot of problems with antifreeze leaking. First time was a gasket leak, then weeks later was still leaking, and finally dealer replaced the whole radiator because it was leaking from a corner. Also front passenger speaker blew, and had to replace a steering shaft. Thank God for warranties.

JennyA
03-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Here I am AGAIN!

My Story (continued): 2006 G6, currently with 88,100 miles.

At 21k my brakes were already in the yellow.

At 38k, I replaced the front brakes AND had the car aligned.

At 45k, had to replace front brake pads again.

At 50k, had to resurface the rotors.

At 54k, had to install new rotors AND new front brakes.

Now, let me explain what I did: For those of you who think that installing high performance, drilled, extra cool rotors and special brakes will make some sort of difference... I purchased high performance, cross-drilled rotors, and the brakes that were recommended to go along with them. Figured... Problem Solved! But, no!

At a little over 54k, I had to do another alignment. (Just FYI, I know that has nothing to do with my rotors and brakes -it's an entirely different recurring problem.)

At 64k, another alignment was recommended and performed.

At 71k, brakes are in the yellow again.

At 76k, had to resurface the new rotors! And front brakes are nearing red.

At 88k, had to get new front brakes again and resurface the rotors again. I was instructed to get new rotors soon.

My high performance rotors lasted 20k before they needed resurfacing the first time. Another 12k and they've been resurfaced again. And this car is on its FIFTH set of front brakes. (And I am NOT hard on brakes. If anything, this car has made me afraid of using the brake pedal, and I treat it as good as I can.)

To quote someone from another forum: "It's not the part, it's the design on the vehicle..."

waterfowler76
03-07-2011, 08:13 AM

1 Front Headlight leak

have you gotten you leakes fixed?? sounds like drain tubes came unplugged
and as far as starting issue, some people have cleaned their throttel body and that took care of it.
and that pass side panel should snap right in, and stay secure with a little help from the velcro.

cesmith918
03-08-2011, 04:26 PM
I have a 06 Pontiac G6 with lil over 100,000 miles an the power windows and locks have quit workin, the remote start use to work but now it does nothin at all any ideas of what is wrong?

punjabtantrum
03-08-2011, 05:54 PM
The door ajar light on the stereo just came on the other day and the interior lights will not go off while driving. Anyone had this problem and what was the fix?
Thanks

playrmom13@yahoo.com
03-09-2011, 11:40 AM
I have a 06 Pontiac G6 with lil over 100,000 miles an the power windows and locks have quit workin, the remote start use to work but now it does nothin at all any ideas of what is wrong?

Try the easiest thing first..Check your fuse panels. There's the one on the drivers side and the one in the trunk, You probably did that already but...

waterfowler76
03-09-2011, 11:45 AM

agreed...maybe fuses

The door ajar light on the stereo just came on the other day and the interior lights will not go off while driving. Anyone had this problem and what was the fix?
Thanks

yeah people around here have been talking about a door switch, I think Cal has changed his out.

zwickt
03-14-2011, 03:39 PM
I was not receiving any codes but had issues with cruise, power locks and remote start. It was imtermittent problem that made it hard to diagnose. Check to make sure everything else is working properly. I discovered that the auto door locks didn't lock when I moved the shifter into drive and didn't open when moved back to park. The cruise did not work, the remote start wouldn't work and the transmission did not shift smoothly. After 3 trips to the dealer they found a (TSB) technical service bulletin that told them to reflash the (ECM) computer. Dealer completed this last week and issue was resolved.

BORN2SKI
03-14-2011, 03:49 PM
I was not receiving any codes but had issues with cruise, power locks and remote start. It was imtermittent problem that made it hard to diagnose. Check to make sure everything else is working properly. I discovered that the auto door locks didn't lock when I moved the shifter into drive and didn't open when moved back to park. The cruise did not work, the remote start wouldn't work and the transmission did not shift smoothly. After 3 trips to the dealer they found a (TSB) technical service bulletin that told them to reflash the (ECM) computer. Dealer completed this last week and issue was resolved.

Good to know, but you didnt have to post the EXACT SAME THING in 7 different threads

G6Boy
03-18-2011, 08:46 PM
I really don't want to give up on this car but my decision is slowly turning in that direction. Its a poorly built car. The same issues you think that are fixed 6 to 12 months ago only come right back to bite you in the butt. I've had my 06 G6 for just over a year and the I-shaft has been replaced to eliminate the steering wheel thud while turning. A few days ago in turns and at take off and stops you can hear grunt and clunk noises from the steering column being lose is what I'm assuming cause I had this issue fixed like I said 6 months ago and this problem disappeared. Also the throttle body was cleaned to help with the starter hesitation 6 months ago that issue seems to slowly be coming back, has not happened in a while though. And the cars handeling seems to be off and on on the highway between speeds of 55-70mph at times I hear a helicopter propeller noise from the front end and there is also slight steering wheel and pedal vibration not all the time though. And the brakes on this car are another issue mine I had squeaking issues in the past but all pads and rotors have been replaced 5 months ago no current issues with them knock on wood. Thanks all for listening and reading !

philman
03-22-2011, 04:31 PM
I’m having problems with my 2006 G6 GTP (107,000k). It died out on me while rolling through the parking lot. Since I was already in motion, I ruled out the starter. I changed the alternator and battery and still no crank. It won’t turn over at all. All I get is a “click”. Not a continuous click, just one click and that’s it. Any suggestions?

piri0027
03-22-2011, 10:38 PM
my 09 had transmission problems with hard shifting, and it got "stuck" stuck in second gear (would stay in second till redlining for 20-30sec) brought into dealership once a week for 9 weeks and they did not do anything but tell me they cant duplicate the problem, and would not give me a loaner as i was only 20 and you have to be 21... (i can buy a $24,979 car at 19 and not get a rental from them lol) i did call gm all the time, they did nothing but tell me what the dealer said was what it was going to be... i got smart got rid of that piece of crap and bought an avalanch...i love it. and o they did replace the tcm and re-program twice but would not do again as it would be considered a "lemon law in my state"... best advice if dealer says anything is get a new car. also one of our family friends has a 06 gt with same prob gm did same thing and we went to court, gm won as they have all our money... not to mention she is the best in our area... she also bought something else.

piri0027
03-22-2011, 10:48 PM
other problems with car:

cracked dash panel by window
Trunk lid scratched bumper
cd player stuck
blew rear speakers
engine tick (loud) almost thunk (mobile 1 synthetic used since 17 miles best oil)
factory breaks went at 8,000 miles... (hi performance ebc replaced)
headlight leaked
bulbs burnt out in headlight every 3 weeks or so
sides of front bumper would not stay in... gorilla glue!
radio bezel cracked
air vent fell out
door handle fell off (driver)
outside mirror backs broke off (black insert came out on outsides)
exhaust leak (road salt was said to be blamed after 6 months...not)
went thru 3 fobs in 7 months
remote start quit
rims peeled
spoiler came loose
wheel bearing went at 17,000

my advice buy some thing else... 2nd worst car ive owned was the G6 first was an
04 Grand Prix, $8,000 purchase price in 08 $8,000 in parts after 11 months and cpu shorted out and started on fire at dealer 2 days after trade in!

I will never buy a pontiac again! WORST CARS BUILT (neither one lasted a year)
my 98 dakota was better than both cars!!!!!

slls
03-25-2011, 12:21 PM
my 09 is almost 2 years old, no problems yet.

BRiZZ
03-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Hey, yea my '06 G6 gtp just started leaking water. Big storm a couple days ago, and now the passenger seatbelt, and backseat are soaked. Did a little research to find its a common problem with the drain tubes. There was a recall that expired in '08. Trying to figure out if its the rear passenger window or the sunroof thats leaking. Covered under extended warranty? Anyone?

BRiZZ
03-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Other then that, had this car for a little over a year now. Never had any other problems, very happy with it. BRING BACK PONTIAC!

reverttheclown
03-26-2011, 07:26 AM
brizz its the sunroof theres a fix thread on g6p i believe...do a search on both sites and you'll find it

BRiZZ
03-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Found that fix thread, thanks. Just got done, used glue instead of clamps to hold the drain tubes in place. Hope it holds! They definately could have made those drain tubes an inch or two longer. Pulled out the back seat and the material that was underneath it to let dry.... I'll be sure to update with results

jpbales
05-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Hey guys, I haven't been on the forum a lot recently but I see the 2006 year model problem thread is still bustling!

Justn226
05-16-2011, 12:20 PM
OK... I have a 2006 Pontiac G6. In the last 6 months I have had a ton of issues with it. It started with the steering wheel shaking when I brake.

I would be going around 60-65 and the steering wheel would start shaking like crazy, and there would be a rattling sound. The mechanic says I need to replace rotors and brake pads so I did.

A few months later it starts going again and a mechanic tells me I have to replace the back rotors and brakes so I do it.

A couple weeks later it starts shaking again. A mechanic says the front rotors are warped and to replace them, so I do.

When they were getting swapped out the guy notices that both of the front struts are leaking, so I replace both struts and get an alignment. The mechanic said it looked like their was some uneven wear on the sides of the tires because of it.

This past weekend on my trip to N.C. my wheel started shaking at 65-70mpg, and I could feel vibration in the seat and the floorboards.

What in the world could be causing this problem now?

This car has BRAND NEW rotors, brakes and struts... Im running out of options on this car. I like it and have enjoyed it until now... please if anyone has any ideas let me know!!

Justn226
05-16-2011, 12:23 PM
I also forgot to mention that yesterday after I returned home from my trip the car ran great, no vibration, no shaking nothing. Its randomly driving like its going to fall apart!!!!

please help me figure this out, I have a 5 yr old boy that I want to keep safe!

yzriders182
05-28-2011, 01:03 PM
^^^^ Same problem and im going nuts about to go deer hunting with the front end of a G6!!

RLanois
05-29-2011, 07:59 PM
^^^^ Same problem and im going nuts about to go deer hunting with the front end of a G6!!

For both of you. Lift your car up on each side and check your ball joints. While there check your lug nuts. Then remove the tire and check your break pads and rotor. If they are glazed over then you have found your problem. Get good old American steel rotors and not the cheap shit from China you get at Autozone or the discount autoparts stores. If you drive at high speeds then get slotted rotors. This will keep your pads clean. If you didnt find a problem with your breaks then your tires are not properly balanced or who ever did your alignment did a shitty job. It is certainly mechanical and repairable.

mrslcom
05-31-2011, 03:50 AM
I got the OEM American made rotor and they warped after 2 years, so I got the cheap China made rotor and they also warped after 2 years. But I will stick with the China rotors since they are just as shitty as the local ones but cost half the price.

mr.deo
06-08-2011, 01:12 PM
I've had my 06 coupe for about a month. We have recently got a lot of rain here, and I've noticed my seat belts are soaked! There is water marks running down the rear panels too... I found online that there was a recall in 2007 I believe for this problem, but obviously my car didn't make it in to the shop for this. Anyone know how to fix this or how much it would cost?

reverttheclown
06-08-2011, 01:53 PM
I've had my 06 coupe for about a month. We have recently got a lot of rain here, and I've noticed my seat belts are soaked! There is water marks running down the rear panels too... I found online that there was a recall in 2007 I believe for this problem, but obviously my car didn't make it in to the shop for this. Anyone know how to fix this or how much it would cost?

this has been a common problem among g6's on here...do you have a sunroof? i bet ya do...try searching for it and i guarantee you'll find your answer

Carshateme
06-09-2011, 03:43 AM
Yeah, my G6 had one too many problems....back speakers blown, i-shaft bad, rims busted, rotor went out, wheel bearings, ball joint, alignment.

I kinda solved all my problems at once on an accident....ran into a truck, thus was his fault for admitting he was brake checking me....small story short, my brakes were bad and dealership I took it to neglected to tell me my brake life was less that 10%...had no warning what so ever. If it wasn't for the e-brake and my fast reaction...I would've ended up with serious injuries.

Pros:

Got a new 2010 Chevy Impala. Very VERY nice car =))) *haven't had a single problem yet

Also got a 1995 buick skylark custom. =]]] (Blew off the truck lock thanks to my subs.)

Cons:

I invested $2,500 on a supercharger for the G6...=((((

Carshateme
06-09-2011, 03:52 AM
For both of you. Lift your car up on each side and check your ball joints. While there check your lug nuts. Then remove the tire and check your break pads and rotor. If they are glazed over then you have found your problem. Get good old American steel rotors and not the cheap shit from China you get at Autozone or the discount autoparts stores. If you drive at high speeds then get slotted rotors. This will keep your pads clean. If you didnt find a problem with your breaks then your tires are not properly balanced or who ever did your alignment did a shitty job. It is certainly mechanical and repairable.

Had a similar problem. For me it was the Ball joint...if it is the ball joint...get your wheel bearings checked out too because my ball joints went out when I hit a pot hole going 25mph...fking aluminum rims...and dealership didn't bother to tell me my wheel bearings were smashed...so in the middle of winter...car shakes...I hit a ice spot...and ran into a the side of a ditch...came close to suing the dealership, but they ended up repairing the whole thing..no surge charge. I don't want the same happening to your child...