Solstice/G6 GTP rims [Archive] - Pontiac G6 Forum

: Solstice/G6 GTP rims

rwbooth
11-26-2005, 10:38 PM
Are the Solstice rims the same as the GTP sedan rims?

If they are then all of us looking for winter rubber may be in business - see the last post for the website info.

miscreant
11-27-2005, 12:07 AM

If they are then all of us looking for winter rubber may be in business - see the last post for the website info.
No, they are not the same wheel.

The solstice features the same bolt pattern, 5x110mm, butt a higher offest @ 55mm. Basically the solstice wheels would stick 1" farther in than the stock 7" wide wheels at 41mm (while still being about same position on the outside) and would probably impact the struts, etc. Spacers may work, but would probably require new lugs.

However, I don't know how that will help - seeing as the solstice wheels, if you can find them, will be available at a PREMIUM most likely, and any aftermarket wheels will be designed around the higher offset.

Winter rubber isn't a hard thing to come by if you get new wheels to begin with. If you're considering solstice wheels, then certainly some cheap 17" wheels (like sport edition fox2s for under $100) with winter or A/S rubber would be still cheaper.

miscreant
11-27-2005, 10:32 PM

If they are then all of us looking for winter rubber may be in business - see the last post for the website info.Additionally, the Solstice has Eagle RSAs, certainlly not any improvement over the LS2s...

rwbooth
11-28-2005, 11:16 AM
miscreant,

Thanks for the info. The rubber is not what I'm worried about. It's the rim. I need 17" steel rims - but no one seems to have them in a 5x110 with around 38 offset. Apparently, the 1994 Saab 900 has similar wheels - however, they are $1720 CDN plus tax (around $2K all in). That is ridiculous for winter tires.

I'll keep looking.

miscreant
11-28-2005, 11:46 AM
miscreant,

Thanks for the info. The rubber is not what I'm worried about. It's the rim. I need 17" steel rims - but no one seems to have them in a 5x110 with around 38 offset. Apparently, the 1994 Saab 900 has similar wheels - however, they are $1720 CDN plus tax (around $2K all in). That is ridiculous for winter tires.

I'll keep looking.Like I said, probably the best thing to do is get some decent Sport Edition rims for $90 from Tirerack with 17" winters mounted on them. Probably the cheapest thing right now.

Saab 9-3 and 9-5 wheels also fit for the most part, but finding 17" STEEL wheels is almost impossible. I don't know of any car that ever had 17" steel wheels.

rwbooth
11-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Just so everyone knows. The GTP sedan and coupe have DIFFERENT bolt patterns. I'm not sure what Pontiac was thinking on that one.

miscreant
11-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Just so everyone knows. The GTP sedan and coupe have DIFFERENT bolt patterns. I'm not sure what Pontiac was thinking on that one.
Um, no they don't. Both are 5x110mm. They use the exact same wheels in fact.

rwbooth
11-29-2005, 04:49 PM
They took off my wheels a couple of days ago - mechanic said they were 114.

miscreant
11-29-2005, 06:25 PM
They took off my wheels a couple of days ago - mechanic said they were 114.
Mechanic was wrong. :D

rwbooth
11-29-2005, 09:00 PM
yup - sure was. Another guy just called me - they found rims for me - 16". Now we just have to see if they'll fit over the roters.

I'll keep you posted.

miscreant
11-29-2005, 09:22 PM
yup - sure was. Another guy just called me - they found rims for me - 16". Now we just have to see if they'll fit over the roters.

I'll keep you posted.
Let us know (I'm sure you will). What kind of 16"s are they (from what car?).

rwbooth
11-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Someone posted earlier that "all g6's have the same bolt patter." That may be true but not all G6 rims are interchangeable. The GT and GTP are the same however the base and V6 aren't. Hence the problem, we can't take the 16's off a V6 and use them as snow on my car - they are different.

Anyway, the Sales Manager has been in touch with GM to tell them not to be so stupid in the future. Why would a line up of cars have different bolt patters? It seems to me that none of snow tire issues would be issues if they had used some foresight and made them all the same.

I'm sure you have something to say about that.

S8ER99
11-30-2005, 03:38 PM
Are you serious??

I was going to ask if I could possible put the 17s on my V6. Will they work?

golf_n_motorcycles
11-30-2005, 04:04 PM
17's off the GT WILL work on the standard V6 model, as a replacement for the 16" steel wheels.

I have a set on my car now. No noticeable speedometer difference either. Ride is a tad rougher with the bigger, lower profile tires, but the Conti rubber handles a LOT better than the Uniroyal compound. Despite the handling in crease, I still can't wait to replace the Conti's with an agressive Bridgestone in the spring.

S8ER99
11-30-2005, 04:13 PM
What is the overall diameter of the 17 GTs vs the 16 V6? I would have thought they would be the same *thus no difference on the speedo* anyone know?

golf_n_motorcycles
11-30-2005, 04:30 PM
Tirerack.com says the Conti 225/50 x 17 is 25.9" tall, with a rev per mile of 803. Tirerack doesn't list the matching specs for the 16" Uniroyal but I can tell you that the ones removed from my G are 26.5" tall. And I think I read on Uniroyal's website that they had a rev per mile of 796.

miscreant
11-30-2005, 04:52 PM
Someone posted earlier that "all g6's have the same bolt patter." That may be true but not all G6 rims are interchangeable. The GT and GTP are the same however the base and V6 aren't. Hence the problem, we can't take the 16's off a V6 and use them as snow on my car - they are different.

Anyway, the Sales Manager has been in touch with GM to tell them not to be so stupid in the future. Why would a line up of cars have different bolt patters? It seems to me that none of snow tire issues would be issues if they had used some foresight and made them all the same.

I'm sure you have something to say about that.
I think there's alot of eroneous information being spread to you.

First, what wheels were they supposedly off of? An Actual G6, or a Malibu? You must remember that the older malibu was not 5x110mm (was not an epsilon platform car) but 5x115mm. I had to correct a local dealership just the other day trying to sell me some 2001 malibu rims...

All G6s, the 4cyl, the 6cyl, the GT and the GTP, 2 or 4 door, have the EXACT SAME bolt pattern and offset requirements, period, end of story. The G6, the Malibu, the Opel Vectra and Signum, the Fiat Chroma, the Saturn Aura, and the Saab 9-3 are all built on the Epsilon Platform from GM, and subsequently ALL have 5x110mm and even ~40mm offset (the G6 features 41mm). If the 16" wheels did not fit on a GTP it's because of the larger brakes on the GTP (and GT, almost 1/2" larger), or they weren't G6 wheels to begin with.

As I stated in another thread somewhere (edit: here (http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6229&postcount=5)), Tirerack lists 16" wheels for the regular G6s, but for GT and GTP, they only list 17" wheels, which indicated to me that it's possible that most if not all 16" wheels will not fit over the bigger GT/GTP brakes. It may not even be a diameter problem, but rather the offest of the steel wheels makes them hit the side of the calipers (ie., not enough clearance. That's a disadvantage of having better brakes.

The Uniroyals are 26.1" tall according to Uniroyal.

The 4cyl, 6cyl, and GT models are all programmed at 26" tall tires, so swapping between wheels in these models requires no reprogramming of the PCM. However, the GTP models are programmed at 27" tall tires, so swapping between GTP and others will require reprogramming.

However, it looks like you can only swap down from GT to regular G6, not up, so keep that in mind.

S8ER99
11-30-2005, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the intel. Perfect... Just need to find a set of 17s...

miscreant
11-30-2005, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the intel. Perfect... Just need to find a set of 17s...
Tire rack has some cheap Sport Editions Fox2 17"s for under $100 each. Look decent, too - I've run them on my cars before. Nice small spokes, easy clean for winter.

EDIT: I think you mean your looking for 17"s to upgrade from 16"s? So disregard above :)

rwbooth
11-30-2005, 10:14 PM
miscreant,

I said "That may be true but not all G6 rims are interchangeable." Then you go a spread erronous info yourself. The base V6 WILL NOT FIT THE OVERSIZE BRAKES of the performace G6's (GT and GTP.) Hence the problem we are all having.

Quit restating info to make yourself seem like king shit - it's annoying and not welcome.

miscreant
12-01-2005, 01:22 AM
miscreant,

I said "That may be true but not all G6 rims are interchangeable." Then you go a spread erronous info yourself. The base V6 WILL NOT FIT THE OVERSIZE BRAKES of the performace G6's (GT and GTP.) Hence the problem we are all having.

Quit restating info to make yourself seem like king shit - it's annoying and not welcome.
Check yourself, dude. Direct your anger of not having a solution to snow tires SOME WHERE ELSE. I SAID that the wheels probably won't fit on the GT/GTP, read my post again! So there's no erroneous info there. Said that GT/GTP wheels would fit on base V6s, but base V6s won't fit on GT/GTPs...From the start, I have given you as much correct info as I could, even when other people told you WRONG. The link about me saying the 16" may not fit on GT/GTPs was a response to YOU a couple days ago before you even tried this: (I quote)"However, Ive been unable to find confirmed results of putting 16" wheels on the GT or GTP. For instance, when you select a G6 Sedan on tirerack, it gives you 16" wheel options. However, selecting the G6 GT Sedan gives you only 17" and higher wheel options. The GT and GTP feature larger front brake rotors which may prevent certain (or all) 16" wheels from fitting. Either way, I can't get a straight call on that one."

You may have indicated above that they weren't interchangeable, but you did not indicate WHY, however you did post the following: "The GT and GTP are the same however the base and V6 aren't. Hence the problem, we can't take the 16's off a V6 and use them as snow on my car - they are different" - that sounds like you are saying the wheels are different bolt patterns, but it's not the wheels at all that are different, it's the brakes that are different. "the Sales Manager has been in touch with GM to tell them not to be so stupid in the future. Why would a line up of cars have different bolt patters? It seems to me that none of snow tire issues would be issues if they had used some foresight and made them all the same." I see now that the "line up of cars" was to mean GM's line up of cars, not the "G6 line up of cars" - the statement makes it sound like the problem was still the bolt pattern.

FWIW, Opel and Saab designed the epsilon platform. Opel and Saab have been 5x110mm bolt patterns for a long time. GM already has at least 6 different bolt patterns in their lineup, there's no standard (Ford has 5 that I know of, Chrysler probably as many). GM's intention is not for owners to put their own wheels on, GM has no reason to standardize bolt patterns.

However, the issue really is the brakes, which is a typical issue with more performance oriented brakes. Few steel wheels are available in 17" if any that I know of. If the GT/GTP brakes don't fit 16" steel wheels, then they don't fit 16" steel wheels regardless if the bolt pattern was 5x115mm or some other more common pattern - it's not an intentional thing that GM did.

I'm sorry the steel wheels didn't work out for you, but it's certainly not my fault and it's not GM's fault. It's the fact that you want to put steel wheels on a car that can't fit them because of the bigger, better brakes. I know it's a stretch, but I'm sure some Corvette owners would love to put steels on their car too, but I can assure you that they won't fit that car either, regardless of bolt pattern. I couldn't on my GTO, the brakes were too big. I couldn't on my CTS-V, again, the brakes were to big. Should we curse out GM for putting too big of brakes on these cars???

Just so I won't "repost it so I can sound all king shit" (whatever), I've posted my recommendation on cheap wheels before...

EDIT: If my costant posting of the "same information" is bothering you, I apologize, but it's not intended to be directed at you. Just because I quote our post does not mean I'm telling you the information all over again, but rather reiterating or even adjusting previous posts with the new information for everyone's benefit. Clarifying this information and getting to the bottom of what fits and what does not may not be "welcomed" by you, but I'm sure it's welcome by most.

So we have determined so far:

* that the 16" steel wheels from the G6 (and most likely from the Malibu or Saab 9-3) will not fit the GT or GTP models.
* Most likely the 16" aluminum wheels will not fit the GT/GTP as well, though as of yet that has not been exactly determined.
* The GT and GTP wheels will fit the base models (basically fit on all models), but the stock GTP tires are too tall and would need to be replaced or the PCM would need to be reprogrammed (GT tires are correct height).

........16 steel...16 alum...17 alum...18 alum..
------------------------------------------------
4cyl...|....X....|....X....|....X....|....X**..|
6cyl...|....X....|....X....|....X....|....X**..|
GT.....|...no....|....X....|....X....|....X**..|
GTP....|...no....|....X....|....X....|....X....|

* Unknown but most likely not.
** Requires 1" shorter tires than stock, or PCM reprogram.

S8ER99
12-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Yeah once you get to ~12 + inch rotors...16s are a tight fit. (aka won't always fit) Even on my Z28 most 16s cleared..but barely.

rwbooth
12-01-2005, 02:18 PM
misreant,

YOU TALK TOO MUCH.

rwbooth
12-01-2005, 02:27 PM
miscreant,

sorry about the last post - got a little carried away. To put this thing to bed:
If I go to tirerack and chose 05 GT (even though I have an 06 GTP) will the 17 alloy rims fit my car?

miscreant
12-01-2005, 02:38 PM
miscreant,

sorry about the last post - got a little carried away. To put this thing to bed:
If I go to tirerack and chose 05 GT (even though I have an 06 GTP) will the 17 alloy rims fit my car?
Yes, but don't use the tire recommendation size, they'd be too short. a 225/55R17 would be good.

Robyn P
12-01-2005, 02:38 PM
misreant,

YOU TALK TOO MUCH.

:D :D :D Ya'll make me laugh!!

S8ER99
12-01-2005, 04:20 PM
"Ya'll" Don't take offense..but the first time I visited FT Cambell I about died laughing at the gas station when I heard someone say that for the first time. The accent + "Ya'll" Fricken priceless!!!!!!

G6inAB
01-17-2006, 01:38 PM
I put some Dip Wheels, the Ninja 65's on my 06 GTP coupe. Looks awesome

Got them out the door on the car for 1400 buck Canadian. Figured it was better than paying 950 for GM to polish up a couple of spoke faces.

For the extra 550 , I now have 2 sets of nice looking rims summer/winter

Will post some pix once I get her wash :) ed

TA^Guy
02-26-2006, 08:30 AM
Damn how large are the brakes on a GT/GTP if 16" wheels won't clear?

pk2000
02-27-2006, 07:17 AM
So having read all of these posts back and forth (insert laugh). Can anyone just simplfy things even more clearly and just state precisely. What Size and make and (maybe even where) a Canadian in the GTA. Can get winter tires for a 2006 G6 GTP. That wouldn't need to have the speedometer reprogrammed. I do thank you in advance for your time and help in this matter.