Replace Battery [Archive] - Pontiac G6 Forum

: Replace Battery

btormar
11-13-2010, 03:55 PM
I need a new battery in my Pontiac G6 3.5L. I was going to just do it myself for half the price the dealership was going to charge me, but someone told me I would need a computer memory saver to do so. Is that the case or can I replace it without?

Thanks!

geewhiz
11-13-2010, 05:39 PM
?? That's news to me! Try NAPA or a trusted shop for your replacement. A lot of folks just give you a compatible battery when you really need a "replacement". By that I mean some folks give you a battery that doesn’t fit properly.

Abyssul
11-13-2010, 07:35 PM
When you detach the battery posts, the computer modules lose some settings. To prevent this, I bought a small battery charger, like a ATV, to hook it to the fuse box and a ground so the modules would stay charged. It worked and all my settings were intact. I went to my local Advanced Auto to get a replacement battery as well. Fits and works fine too.

If you don't do this, your car will have to redetermine the optimal settings for drivings by having the car driven for 50-100 miles. In addition, any DIC settings will be set to default. I couldn't afford for my DIC settings to go back to default because I have an aftermarket stereo.

datacat
11-13-2010, 08:09 PM
NAPA batteries are really good and have an excellent warranty, and they cost less! I'm using one in my G6 that I originally bought for my old buick. It has a better CCA rating than the AC Delco and that is important where I live because it does get quite cold.

Edited: I bought a "computer memory saver" from princess auto for like $5. I only used it once when swapping batteries but that's it. I installed a new stereo recently and _none_ of my DIC settings were lost so I would say that it's not needed.

I believe Abyssul is correct though with it having to "re-learn" your driving habits.

Kool_G6
11-13-2010, 08:49 PM
My car is rockin a nascar advantage battery from crappy tire, awesome battery... No matter how cold she gets she always starts. Lots of juice in that baby.

Abyssul
11-13-2010, 09:16 PM
My dad told me he watched a recent documentary about how all car batteries are basically the same thing when it comes to performance and quality. The technology hasn't changed in decades so it makes sense. All you are doing is paying for brand name.

It's the classic debate of generic vs brand items. Its a genuine argument, but only for specific items. Lithium AA's are definitely better than some CVS crap.

geewhiz
11-14-2010, 07:35 AM
I need a new battery in my Pontiac G6 3.5L. I was going to just do it myself for half the price the dealership was going to charge me, but someone told me I would need a computer memory saver to do so. Is that the case or can I replace it without? Thanks!

I believe Abyssul is correct though with it having to "re-learn" your driving habits.

This is true but I feel its a bit of an exagration; not on your part datacat but as a whole in the automotive world.
IMO, when the car resets it's DIC or any other driving setting the difference is quite nominal unless you run the quarter mile every morning.
I'm not saying anyone is wrong I just saying that changing the battery on the G6 is not a big deal and doesn't require any special tools other than a wrench and the new battery, the right size battery too!
(I've changed my battery, started it up then drove down to the store afterwards, no issues.):)

360ci
11-28-2010, 09:46 AM
I agree. Remove the old battery, put the new one in and off you go. NO WORRIES.

If you have to re-program your radio settings, big deal.

06gtpg6
11-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Yea but there's some ppl that dnt have stock radio, n can't afford yo go back to default

360ci
11-29-2010, 05:37 AM
Poor babies....

wesuhlee
11-29-2010, 09:04 AM
i replaced my battery a year after getting my 6 and didn't have any issues...like geewhiz said, wrench and battery...that's all it took

btormar
11-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks everyone for their input! I'll probably just do it myself then, hopefully I get to it before winter really kicks in here...

ThreePointSix
11-30-2010, 09:35 PM
Just go grab one of those memory savers from any auto store. Plug it into your power outlet, connect a 9volt battery to it and change your battery.