Remote starter not working but unlock does? HELP!! [Archive] - Pontiac G6 Forum

: Remote starter not working but unlock does? HELP!!

x0littleone0xx
11-15-2010, 07:54 PM
My keyless entry used to only work sometimes to unlock/lock/trunk
My remote starter button won't work
It worked all last year from February on when I got my car

It's a 2005 g6 gt

So now it's getting cold and I go to use my remote starter & it wouldn't work
I made sure it is on inside my car on the screen
I made sure I locked it twice before trying to start it
But it still won't work

So I went to the dealer, had a new battery put in it & it still dosent work?

Dealer wants to charge me $100 to just look at it and tell me what's wrong then charge me their hourly service rate to fix it plus parts if needed
That's a bit extreme right now I wanna see if I can try other things to fix it & my last resort will be to let them look.

I have heard these solutions...
1. Putting a new plate in the FOBi guess it could be worn.(which could be the case since sometimes I need to push really hard or on the side of the
unlock button for it to work)

2. Disconnect car battery for a few sec then reconnect & try using the remote starter to turn it on first.

3. Put cardboard inside the FOB pressing battery flush against buttons

4. Reprogram the FOB
(does the dealer charge for that?)

PLEASE help me!!
Let me know if u think u know what's wrong
Or any other solutions
Or if u know anything mire about the 4 I wrote
I don't understand how to do the card board one

Please please help I really want my starter for this cold season

filian
11-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Is your check engine light on bc Im sure the remote start wont work if it is. You could try to have it reprogrammed or a new key seems like the best solutions.

reverttheclown
11-16-2010, 11:09 AM
http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8265&highlight=key+fob

i believe Datacat had a link at the end of that thread to solve your problems

Pimpin007
11-16-2010, 02:57 PM
I have heard about disconecting the battery, or the negative cable for about a minute, make sure the remote its got a good battery and be sure that the Remote start funtion its enabled in the Monsoon settings

x0littleone0xx
11-16-2010, 07:09 PM
My check engine light isn't on
I just got a new battery & it's still not working
& it is on inside my car

I just ordered one of those keyfix things that u put inside it I guess the rubber n metal get worn so I'm trying that now

Pimpin007
11-17-2010, 06:29 AM
I know that one of the safety thingys from the car and the auto start is, if the hood is open it will not remote start, do you think the hood sensor might have gone bad? have you done any recent work in the hood or something...

reverttheclown
11-17-2010, 08:10 AM
its just a matter of the buttons not hittin the sensors or whatever inside the fob...the kit will fix it

x0littleone0xx
11-17-2010, 08:39 AM
I know that one of the safety thingys from the car and the auto start is, if the hood is open it will not remote start, do you think the hood sensor might have gone bad? have you done any recent work in the hood or something...

Nope I haven't done anything under the hood. I hope when this keyfix comes in it solves my problems

MattInSoCal
11-17-2010, 08:45 PM
If the Keyfix doesn't fix the problem, check your hood sensor, which is on the hood latch. Remote start will not work if the hood is open or the BCM thinks it is. It also will not work if there are any codes that would turn on the Service Engine Soon light.

~ MattInSoCal

x0littleone0xx
11-18-2010, 08:32 PM
If the Keyfix doesn't fix the problem, check your hood sensor, which is on the hood latch. Remote start will not work if the hood is open or the BCM thinks it is. It also will not work if there are any codes that would turn on the Service Engine Soon light.

~ MattInSoCal

No service engine light or any lights at all.
I'm going to check the hood tomorrow
What do I look for?

I already got the keyfix & it just came in so I'm going to try & figure out how to put that in tomorrow too

MattInSoCal
11-19-2010, 02:48 AM
No service engine light or any lights at all.
I'm going to check the hood tomorrow
What do I look for?

The problem would be with either the switch or the lever that operates the switch. The switch is part of the hood latch assembly that is mounted near the radiator. In either case you might not be able to notice anything wrong just by looking at it unless you know exactly what you're looking for.

I already got the keyfix & it just came in so I'm going to try & figure out how to put that in tomorrow too

Definitely try that first before you check out the hood switch.

~ MattInSoCal

CMRS
11-19-2010, 12:26 PM
I have a remote that only the panic, and the trunk buttons work on it???? Any suggetions?

reverttheclown
11-19-2010, 12:32 PM
check the battery...if thats not it then i'd wait to hear back from "littleone" she ordered a fob fixerupper that should do the trick

CMRS
11-20-2010, 08:52 AM
I actually have a new remote that needs to be programmed, but the Candi module wont communicate with my vehicle to program it.

sausmonkey
11-25-2010, 11:52 PM
alright, you seem to be the having the same issue I'm having. my lock/unlock, trunk and panic all work on my fob. but, if i press the remote start, the alarm goes off til i press it again. it's almost as if the remote start button is acting as a panic button. the battery (in my remote) is pretty much new, i lock the doors before i try, i have the remote start option on in the dic. also, i made my own keyfix, which helped with the lock/unlock. if i figure it out, i will let you know. btw, my remote start worked fine last year

x0littleone0xx
11-26-2010, 06:44 PM
I got my keyless fix put it in correctly

Now when I hit remote start the lights just flash but my car won't turn on

Now what can I do?
Anyone know my problem.

sausmonkey
11-27-2010, 12:45 AM
is your horn going off with the lights too? i tried the battery(both car and remote) reset today and tried starting the car with the remote first after rehooking the batteries, and no change, so we can scratch that off the list

x0littleone0xx
11-27-2010, 11:10 PM
is your horn going off with the lights too? i tried the battery(both car and remote) reset today and tried starting the car with the remote first after rehooking the batteries, and no change, so we can scratch that off the list

nope no horn just the lights flashing twice i believe

im SOOOO lost!!
:(

reverttheclown
11-30-2010, 01:41 PM
might be a silly suggestion but are you hitting lock before you're holdin the auto start? thats the only way it'll start - press LOCK --> hold AUTO-START for 3 - 5 seconds

x0littleone0xx
11-30-2010, 05:23 PM
might be a silly suggestion but are you hitting lock before you're holdin the auto start? thats the only way it'll start - press LOCK --> hold AUTO-START for 3 - 5 seconds
\

HAHA yesss i used my remote starter all last year.

im so lost on what it could be.

i cant stand not having it working.

does anyone have suggestions of a place that might know whats wrong other than the dealer since they wanna charge like $180!!

i need this fixed!!

x0littleone0xx
11-30-2010, 05:24 PM
should i buy a new key fob? think that would help??

also

where is the remote starter in my car? maybe something is loose? but idk where in my car it is or how it is hooked up?

x0littleone0xx
12-11-2010, 01:29 PM
I HAVE MY SOLUTION!!

a guy that works at a dealership had me come in and hooked it up for me

& turns out it is my hood latch sensor

so now i need a whole new hood latch

where do i buy one??

Blackpony04
12-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Good to know what to look for if it happens to me. I found the part you may be talking about but if not this website looks like they'd carry anything you could need:

http://www.newgmparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=213815&chapter=&sectionids=0,2387&groupid=51835&subgroupid=3276&componentid=4796&make=28&model=G6&year=2005&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

sausmonkey
09-13-2011, 05:27 PM
wondering if there was ever a solution for this problem? i'm having the same issue. i threw a code for the hood latch on the scan tool. i replaced the hood latch/sensor asssembly. i also bought a new remote and it wouldn't sync, i believe there is a problem with the unlock circuit-you need to hold lock and unlock to program remote, plus my unlock doesn't work on the remote i have currently.

greenman
09-14-2011, 09:50 PM
i also bought a new remote and it wouldn't sync, i believe there is a problem with the unlock circuit-you need to hold lock and unlock to program remote, plus my unlock doesn't work on the remote i have currently.

Only a dealer (& some locksmiths) can program a fob to work with the vehicle's receiver.

sausmonkey
09-14-2011, 11:34 PM
i realize that, i had it at my buddy's shop hooked up to the scanner...but part of programming involves holding the lock and unlock buttons on the remote simultaneously and the scanner wouldn't pick up the signal. i'm usually pretty good but cannot figure this one out

greenman
09-15-2011, 01:28 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remote Control Door Lock Transmitter Programming
Important:

Up to 4 transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle. The order in which the transmitters are programmed is important. The first transmitter programmed will be transmitter #1, and the second transmitter programmed will be transmitter #2. Use care to program the transmitters correctly.

The scan tool must stay connected until all of the transmitters are programmed.

The keyless entry transmitters used in the Advance 2 Way Remote Start System isare unique to the system. When servicing or replacing a transmitter, ensure that the correct transmitter is used. The correct transmitter part number can be found in the Accessory section of the parts catalog. Attempting to replace an Advance 2 Way Remote Start transmitter with a regular service part will result in a failure to program the transmitter.

Invalidate All
This procedure will erase all keyless entry transmitters from memory.

Install a scan tool.
Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF.
With the scan tool, select Body.
Select Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR).
Select Module Setup.
Select Program Key Fobs.
Select Invalidate All.
Follow the scan tool on screen instructions.
Next Available Slot
Incremental programming allows for a transmitter to be programmed into the next available location without affecting the currently programmed transmitters. Previously programmed transmitters will not be erased during this procedure.

Important: If all 4 slots are programmed, the Invalidate All procedure will need to be performed to allow transmitter programming.

Install a scan tool.
Select Module Setup.
Select Program Key Fobs.
Select Next Available Slot.
Remove the scan tool.
Exit the vehicle. Operate all functions on transmitters to verify correct system operation.
Transmitter Slot Programming
Transmitter slot programming allows a single transmitter to be programmed into a specific slot without affecting any of the other programmed transmitters. By using slot programming, the transmitter originally programmed to a specific slot is erased and the new transmitter learned in its placed.

Install a scan tool.
Select Module Setup.
Select Program Key Fobs.
Select the key fob desired to be programmed.
Remove the scan tool.
Exit the vehicle. Operate all functions on transmitters to verify correct system operation.
2011 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

skearton
10-31-2011, 03:16 PM
alright, you seem to be the having the same issue I'm having. my lock/unlock, trunk and panic all work on my fob. but, if i press the remote start, the alarm goes off til i press it again. it's almost as if the remote start button is acting as a panic button. the battery (in my remote) is pretty much new, i lock the doors before i try, i have the remote start option on in the dic. also, i made my own keyfix, which helped with the lock/unlock. if i figure it out, i will let you know. btw, my remote start worked fine last year

Same exact issue with mine including the panic. Did you ever find a solution? Seems our issue might be different than those without the panic?

Edit: Although my lock and unlock work fine.

Lampoon
11-01-2011, 05:53 AM
Subscribed...