My Pontiac shakes when I start breaking..help [Archive] - Pontiac G6 Forum

: My Pontiac shakes when I start breaking..help

Henetra
02-08-2011, 02:05 PM
I own a 2007 pontiac G6 sedan, 2.4L, with only 64k miles on it.

When I start breaking at speeds of 45 mph or higher, my car starts the shake? It doesn't shake really bad, but it still shakes. When I break at speeds lower than 45, it breaks really smoothly. Anyone have this problem before?

I let my little brother put some new wheels I bought last month on my car, could this be the problem?

waterfowler76
02-08-2011, 02:09 PM
It's a VERY common problem with our cars, the rotors warp which causes the shaking.

Blackpony04
02-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Yup, regardless of the car if you get vibration when braking it's usually always the rotors.

geewhiz
02-08-2011, 05:35 PM
bump the post above. If the pads are okay just have someone turn them.

badfish
02-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Mine does that every now and then. Now I have an excuse to get slotted/drilled rotors without my girlfriend complaining haha. Any ideas where I can find some good ones at a reasonable price?

And another thing...when I make low speed turns (20 mph or less) to the left, I hear a whining noise which I can only describe as a rubbing or like a bad pump. Its around my right wheel. Does the brake warp have anything to do with it, or maybe its something completely different. The garage looked at it before and said they couldnt find anything wrong with it.

Henetra
02-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Oh okay, so what exactly would I need to do to my rotors to fix the problem? I haven't changed my break pads yet, but they are working perfectly fine so why would I?

Abyssul
02-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Go to a local shop and ask them to do a brake inspection. Most places do it for free. Tell them to look at the front and rear rotors. Ask if they need replaced or resurfaced. I have a similar problem with my steering shimming at higher speeds and I'm lightly braking. They said that only my front rotors are bad and need resurfaced.

Dav3
02-09-2011, 12:18 AM
ONLY 64,000 miles? LOL

rotors without a doubt. not only because of the miles, or the car.
because thats about the only reason for shaking....WHEN breaking...only.
had it been during certain speeds or other reasons...other things could cause....99.99% its the rotors.

Abyssul
02-09-2011, 09:14 AM
I'm surprised that I have 90k miles on my car and the rotors started warping at 86k.