Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Brakes keep sticking on

37K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  markpetersonii 
#1 · (Edited)
I just bought a 2005 G6 with 98,000km on it and the last few weeks the brakes keep sticking on.My wife came home and there was smoke coming from the front brakes.Then we are on the highway a week later and they lock up,car starts vibrating and shacking like i blew a tire.I get out and nope all is good,lug nuts are good,tire pressure.So i call my brother a mechanic and he says to pump the brake pedal hard.So i did 5-6 times and then drove away and it was good.Ten minutes later they lock up again and i cant get over 15km/hr.He thinks the sensor is coming out of adjustment maybe?also sometimes the command start wont work and it seems like it sences that the brake is on..so maybe it needs adjustment on that sensor.Im going to check the brake lights to see if they are working right after reading the issues on here and wonder what kinda car i bought...

#4 ·
Rotors are warped. Replace them. Surprised they lasted as long as they did.

I replaced mine with R1 Concepts & Akebono ceramic pads at 45,000 miles.

Im currently at 103,000 miles and they are still working like a champ.

#13 ·
That's bad!

Sound like the pads were wore all the way down. I would suggest buying the R1 concept rotors as Lampoon suggested.

DO NOT buy autozone, o'riely or advanced auto parts break pads. Go to Napa, GM or a reputable race break pad.

Also be sure to lube the guides on the caliper with a good high temp break lube. otherwise you will have same problem with breaks sticking later on as the calipers will not be able to slide properly.

#9 ·
Just read your thread. First thing to look at when brakes seem to be sticking, is to lift the lid on the brake fluid reservoir. The rubber on the back of the lid should be nice and firm. If it is, that's great. But if it is droopy, then some one has added a petroleum product such as power steering fliud. That would cause all rubber in the brake system to swell, blocking off the flex hoses and holding the brakes on. This doesn't happen very often, but when it does, all parts with rubber in them will need to be replaced. That would be master cylinder, ABS components, rubber flex hoses at the wheel, calipers, etc. I hope this is not your case! Some times sticking brakes can be the 'sliders' seized at the calipers. Good Luck.

#11 ·
Anti-lock or Traction control problem?

Are the brakes sticking only after you apply them, or do they also seem to come on by themselves? Do they seem to be stuck harder than you thought you may have appplied them? Besides the possibility of the pistons sticking in the caliper, it could also be a malfunction in the Anti-Lock Braking or Traction Control modules.

~ MattInSoCal

#12 ·
Are the brakes sticking only after you apply them, or do they also seem to come on by themselves? Do they seem to be stuck harder than you thought you may have appplied them? Besides the possibility of the pistons sticking in the caliper, it could also be a malfunction in the Anti-Lock Braking or Traction Control modules.

~ MattInSoCal
OT but where in SoCal are you?

#18 ·
Does anyone knows why a rear rotor would get hot, if it is due to a bad caliper, or if there is another adjustment for the rear brake?
Braking in general will heat up your rotors. Excessive braking will make them really hot. I guess I'm not understanding what you're asking.

OK so we adjusted the level of fluid and the brakes have been good,i have driven on the highway for a few hours and no problems.The last time they stuck was on the highway guessing the overfilled fluid pressurized and forced the brakes on....
Oh, I guess that makes sense... Kinda. I don't think I've ever heard of that. I'm glad it's fixed though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.