Pontiac G6 Forum banner

P0449 Evaporative emission [EVAP] Vent Solenoid

88K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  mikethompson 
#1 ·
Greetings,

I'm getting a P0449, it calls out the EVAP Vent Solonid. I've looked in the online parts manuals and have not been able to find the part or any kind of exploded view to determine where the vent solinoid or canister may be located. Any ideas?

#8 · (Edited)
update on mine, it was throwing code po455 vent solenoid car had 26000 miles they fixed it n/c and also programed a extra remote for me while they were in there. i walked away with a smile. car is running good now. tech musada took it fo a spin to make shure it was right. millage in was26049 millage out was 26070. i bet he left with a smile

#9 ·
I'm having the same problem with my 06'. Check engine light keeps coming on. Went to Autozone.. One of the codes that came up was P0449.
It's either a cracked/loose/missing/clogged hose or the canister is malfunctioning. or the vent solenoid? AND it came up "large leak"

I replaced the gas cap and the light went off after a couple of days.. but it came back on and I replaced the gas cap again, and the "check gas cap" light comes on about every day. I click the gas cap 4-5 times after fueling.??

I'm not exactly sure whats wrong???

#10 ·
Hi Gary, my G6 had the 0449 code and it said evap system, vent solenoid. I tried the gas cap as a cheap try. Then I changed the vent solenoid. Difficult to get at but not too expensive. Still getting the 449 code. Took it to Pontiac dealer and they diagnosed and repaired a broken wire in the harness for 1 1/2 hours labour. All is well now. Hope that helps!! D

#11 ·
P0449 Code and Solenoid Clarification

I'm hoping someone can help out a new member/visitor. I normally purchase service manuals for my own vehicle directly from Helm (2004 Impala SS, 2008 HHR SS, 2011 Equinox LT). However, I am helping a neighbor with a CEL and needed to find some clarification before I go any further.

I put my code reader on my neighbor's 2008 G6 GT (3.5L V6), and it displays a P0449 code. This is displayed as a bad vent solenoid ckt. Depending on which sites I look at, I see conflicting information regarding both a purge solenoid as well as a vent solenoid. I have seen info on the vent solenoid being by the Evaporative Canister by the gas tank. I have also seen this referenced as the purge solenoid, as well as the purge solenoid being located at the intake manifold of the engine.

When looking up parts, I see listings for both purge (AC Delco 214-1473/GM 12592015) and vent (AC Delco 214-2311 or 214-2237/GM 10382104, 13575701, 25932570) solenoids.

Any help on clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

#13 · (Edited)
A Little More.....

Thanks, greenman! I thought that was the case, but I realized that I wasn't quite as explanatory as I should have been.

I was planning on verifying the electrical wiring to the vent solenoid, and change the vent solenoid if needed. My question was really to confirm the location and part number of the vent solenoid.

Some of the online GM catalogs I have seen, including the drawing/diagram excerpts posted here, show a rectangular shape unit near the vapor canister. This is labeled by GM on some of the stuff I can find as a purge solenoid and not a vent solenoid. The drawings on sites such as GMpartsdirect.com only list a purge solenoid. Without any service manuals, I was hoping to glean some info from those, like yourself, that have replaced this.

Based on this, I have been able to locate two sets of part numbers (Rock Auto is an easy one to look at). My problem is that I just wanted to verify that the vent valve (round/cylindrical part) was what is mounted above/next to the gas tank before I tear apart anything.

Thanks!

#14 · (Edited)
My question was really to confirm the location and part number of the vent solenoid.
it's above the fuel tank which u need to drop down on the right side for access (some claim that dropping the tank isn't needed-u decide). i cant help u with part #. i'd imagine there's a how-to by someone on youtube. or u can post an email addy & i'll send a how-to this time. tell that car owner factory service manuals are worth their weight in gold.

#15 ·
Thanks.....

I agree 100% with you, greenman.......the factory service manuals are indispensable and pay for themselves with just one use. Anybody that plans to hang onto a car and/or do any work themselves should spring for them.

Thanks for the offer, but I won't have any issues dropping the tank a bit to get to it. I just wanted to make sure I had parts in hand and didn't have to get anything mid-job.

Next decent day, I'll jump on this........it could be next week, it could be May 2015.......but hopefully next week :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.