Pontiac G6 Forum banner

SVC Tire Monitor?

97K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  SlushyButterfly 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey everyone!

I just got my 2008 Pontiac G6 basic 4-door with a 2.4 three weeks ago. It's got a little over 29,000 miles on it. It's my first American-made car since my Mustang I got a little over 4 years ago. (Since then, I've had Japanese and Korean cars)

This afternoon, when I started my car, the info display center told me that I needed to SVC Tire Monitor. The little light on the dash came on, and according to the owner's manual, it said that one of my tires was at a dangerously low level (this is not quite the case. The tires are between 30 - 35).

I would just add air to the tires, but when the info display center has "SVC Tire Monitor", I'm not sure if I should just take it to the dealership or if this is something that GM has put into the car to make sure I do my 30K Checkup.

Has anyone else come across this problem before or have any advice (or maybe another thread where this is addressed?)

(This is my first car, less than 5 years old, and I'm very excited and impressed with Pontiac, but I'm afraid all the technology and random features will really be more of a stumbling block than a help).

Thanks, and I hope you all have an awesome day!

- Christiaan

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey everyone!

I just got my 2008 Pontiac G6 basic 4 door with a 2.4 three weeks ago. It's got a little over 29,000 miles on it. It's my first American made car since my Mustang I got a little over 4 years ago. (Since then I've had Japanese and Korean cars)

This afternoon when I started my car, on the info display center told me that I needed to SVC Tire Monitor. The little light on the dash came on and according to the owners manual it said that one of my tires was at a dangerously low level (this is not quite the case the tires are between 30 - 35).

I would just add air to the tires, but when the info display center has "SVC Tire Monitor", I'm not sure if I should just take it to the dealership or if this is something that GM has put into the car to make sure I do my 30K Check up.

Has anyone else come across this problem before or have any advice (or maybe another thread where this is addressed?)

(This is my first car less than 5 years old and I'm very excited and impressed with Pontiac, but I'm afraid all the technology and random features will really be more of a stumbling block than a help).

Thanks and I hope you all have an awesome day!

- Christiaan
:confused:
I don't have that feature. Welcome to G6owners club, BTW.

#4 ·
Tpms

We have a 2007 G6 GT. I have checked the manual and inspected the rims. I cannot find any references to TPMS of any kind. Does any know which models and/or years that TPMS became a standard feature?
Some GM models use a passive system that relies on the ABS sensors to determine rotational differences, others use a direct system which uses wheel mounted sensors, usually a part of the valve stem (which is why most use stainless steel valve stems).
For all the hype that Chevy makes about the use of TPMS on their models, you'd think GM would deploy it on every make and model like air bags.
I thoughts the Federal Government mandated the use of TPMS on every passenger vehicle by a certain date as a result of the Ford/Firestone debacle?

#6 ·
Re: Tire Pressure Monitor

Hey everyone!

I just got my 2008 Pontiac G6 basic 4 door with a 2.4 three weeks ago. It's got a little over 29,000 miles on it. It's my first American made car since my Mustang I got a little over 4 years ago. (Since then I've had Japanese and Korean cars)

This afternoon when I started my car, on the info display center told me that I needed to SVC Tire Monitor. The little light on the dash came on and according to the owners manual it said that one of my tires was at a dangerously low level (this is not quite the case the tires are between 30 - 35).

I would just add air to the tires, but when the info display center has "SVC Tire Monitor", I'm not sure if I should just take it to the dealership or if this is something that GM has put into the car to make sure I do my 30K Check up.

(This is my first car less than 5 years old and I'm very excited and impressed with Pontiac, but I'm afraid all the technology and random features will really be more of a stumbling block than a help).

Thanks and I hope you all have an awesome day!

- Christiaan
Check your owners manual. There should be a procedure to reset the system.

#7 ·
The old system GM used were trouble-prone and inaccurate, so they got rid of it and now uses a more sophisticated system which became standard equipment from 2008 on.

The resetting procedure is quite complicated as outlined in the owner's manual. You can try resetting it yourself or take it to the dealer and have them check it out. The TPMS is a separate system and has nothing to do with the regular maintenance interval of the vehicle.

#8 ·
I have had several issues with the Tire Pressure monitor. I purchased new snow tires, new rims, and had sensors added, so I would not have to deal with the reset issue everytime I had my tires changed. When I had the snows put on in November, I left the dealership, to have the light come on after about 30 miles. I took it in, they reset it, all was good. Until just last week, I had my summer tires put back on, and I've had to take the car in 2 times to reset the tpms system. The service people do not know why this is happening.

#10 ·
SVC Monitor

Hello, I have an '09 g6 gt coupe, i just had an oil change and the 6,000 mile tire rotation, they didn't reset the SVC monitors. I reset them myself (pretty easy) but the tire pressure wil not appear. Do i need to put air back into them? I reset the pressures to recomendation but they won't show on the readout, just dashes showing. Can anyone help?
Thanx.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.