Pontiac G6 Forum banner

service airbag

14K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mekb27 
#1 ·
So for the last couple of months my service air bag light would come on after first start up. I would turn of the car and turn it on and it would go away. This morning it came on and wouldnt turn off. I got to work and turn it on and off a couple of times and no change. When I turned on my car car work, no light. I was told that there are plugs under the seat and I could check them. But it is very intermitten.
Has anyone else had this issue?

#2 ·
I did and had the dealer run codes on it and he said my pass presence module was out and that it would be $800 plus labor to replace it. I passed but now in the event of a crash they won't go off. Funny thing is though ever since I took it in I haven't seen that light

#3 ·
Air bags codes can't be read by most code readers so you would either need access to a scan tool with air bag capability or would need the dealer's tech 2. The passenger presence system inside the passenger seat is a common culprit. Wish I had better news for you.
The AIR BAG indicator, located in the instrument panel cluster (IPC), is used to notify the driver of Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) System malfunctions and to verify that the sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) is communicating with the IPC. When the ignition is turned ON, the SDM is supplied with ignition positive voltage. The SDM requests the IPC to flash the AIR BAG indicator seven times. While flashing the indicator, the SDM conducts tests on all SIR system components and circuits. If no malfunctions are detected, the SDM will communicate with the IPC through the GMLAN serial data circuit and command the AIR BAG indicator OFF. The SDM provides continuous monitoring of the air bag circuits by conducting a sequence of checks. If a malfunction is detected the SDM will store a DTC and command the IPC to turn the AIR BAG indicator ON via GMLAN serial data. The presence of a SIR system malfunction could result in non-deployment of the air bags or deployment in conditions less severe than intended. The AIR BAG indicator will remain ON until the malfunction has been repaired.

Inflatable Restraint Passenger Presence System
Important: The passenger presence system (PPS), heated seat element (if equipped), and the seat bottom foam cushion is a calibrated unit and cannot be service separately. After repairing or replacing the PPS, the system must be rezeroed in order to function properly.

The PPS is used to monitor the weight of an occupant on the front outboard passenger seat and communicate the status to the sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) whether to enable or suppress the deployment of the instrument panel (I/P) inflator module. The PPS consist of an electronic control module, sensor mat, heated seat element along with monitoring the control circuit from the passenger heated seat control module (if equipped), wiring harness, and PASSENGER AIR BAG ON/OFF indicators. The sensor is made up of several flexible conductive metal strips placed underneath the seat cushion trim. These sensor strips transmit and receive a low-level electric field. The weight of the occupant sitting in the front passenger seat is measured as a change in current flow within the sensor mat. If the sensor determines that the occupant weight is less than a specified value, the PPS module will send a suppress signal to the SDM to disable the I/P module. If the sensor determines the occupant weight is higher than a specified value, the PPS module will send an enable signal to the SDM to enable the I/P module. The PPS module will notify the customer of the enable/disable status by illuminating either one of the PASSENGER AIR BAG ON/OFF indicators located in the center of the instrument panel. The PPS monitors itself for faults and will display flash DTCs when a fault is detected and the SDM commands it by using the PASSENGER AIR BAG ON/OFF indicators. The PPS will also notify the SDM of a fault and the SDM will request the IPC to illuminate the AIR BAG indicator located on the IPC. To determine what DTCs have been set by the PPS, the scan tool is used to command the SDM to request the PPS to flash the DTCs using the PASSENGER AIR BAG ON/OFF indicators located on the I/P.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.