Pontiac G6 Forum banner

panoramic roof replacement

33K views 48 replies 27 participants last post by  Paulg6 
#1 · (Edited)
pan roof replacement - anyone had it done?

as many of you do, I have the panoramic roof and it has been nothing but a headache. Rattles, tapping, knocking, popping, you name it I have the noise coming from the sunroof. And it is LOUD. And FREQUENT. I have taken it in to the dealer twice now. The first time they basically tightened some bolts, which made the noise worse. The second time they say that they completely took the unit apart and put it back together. The noise is still there. They now say that the next step is just to replace the panoramic roof unit. The entire thing. Have any of you had this done? IF so, did the problem re-occur? Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions? This is a major repair and I would like some input before I have it done.

#2 ·
I am basicly waiting too because my dealer said since there isn't a tsb yet and they aren't positive on how to fix the roof after 2 failed attempts that they are talking to GM to get a fix and instructions because the pan roof is still new to their mechanics

#3 ·
My dad's sedan has the problem too. He plans to have it looked at when he takes it in for service next, but is pretty much aware already the chances of it being resolved are next to none. A woman he works with also has a G6 with the panoramic roof, and has the same concerns. Roof aside, both love their cars more then anything...but the fears of the roof rattles were enough to push me to the coupe.

I was talking to someone who's father works for GM...and he says that there is actually an entire team of engineers working diligently to find a solution to the panoramic roof problems...FWIW, I have confidence a resolution will be found soon. :)

#4 ·
sorry to hear about all the problems with the Panoramic Roof......its really a cool idea. i hope they get all the bugs worked out for you.

guess i'm glad i got a GT Sedan with the "Regular Type" sunroof. no problems with it, SO FAR!!!! for the record, i TOO have faith that GM will get it figured out. OR, maybe they'll just offer you a NEW G6 with a "Regular Type" sunroof..
.......YEA, RIGHT!!!!

wish you all luck...... :)

#5 ·
Given that your "new" G6 is a 2005 model, the entire roof replacement should be under factory warranty & shouldn't cost you squat! Further more, since this (or these) occurrances are happening frequently, the dealer SHOULD also provide you a loaner at no cost to you.

I have had absolutely no problems with my panoramic roof. However, I also don't drive near as much as the majority of the rest of you do. When I bought mine, I knew the technology was new & supposedly on the cutting edge (here in the states) & presumed I would be able to hear wind noises with the roof closed - as I do. Fortunately, these noises are not disturbing to me as I usually have the Monsoon going. :D

I for one, would like to hear what goes down with the continuation of this problem. These errors are GM's & should not bear any weight on the consumer what-so-ever.

#6 ·
I had all these same issues... And then they finally fixed it. It turned out to be something within the sunshade that was creating all the noise. It took several times to the dealer, as well as the dealer getting the sunroof manufacturer involved to get it right.

Noonan Pontiac in Sterling Heights, MI should be able to direct your dealers on what they did...

#7 ·
Long story short 5 trips to the dealer for the squeak rattle and pop. Eventually they got it to the point that it was quiet. 2 weeks later a lesser noise showed up, was told that this is the way it was and that I need to deal with it, as the G6 is not rigid enough to handle such a big roof opening.

#8 ·
Luckily I am dealing with a dealership owned by a good friend's family so they are more than willing to work with me on this issue. They give it to me straight with no B.S. They are as baffled with how to solve the problem as everyone else seems to be. I have decided to drive the vehicle for awhile to see if GM is going to come up with any kind of fix. I will probably give it a few months or so and then if there is still no bulletin on how to resolve the problem will just have the dealer replace the entire P roof unit.

#9 ·
okay the noise has now gotten worse and is now pretty much unbearable. I am pulling my hair out. I think I'm going to just tell the dealer to replace the freaking thing. If that doesn't work, I'm going to contact Customer Assistance and get that process started. Has anyone had their P Roof replaced, if so, did it make any difference?

#10 ·
Not the roof......

Panoramic People,

I hate to break it to you, but the problems are not in the sunroof itself. The problem is with the sunroof interface to the vehicle that's causing most of the noises. Replacing the sunroof module is just going to get you the same thing, maybe worse.

There is a TSB out there to add mylar washers to 10 fasteners that attach the sunroof module to the roof body. These helps create a 'sliding' surface for the fasteners, as the torsional twist in the body is too much for the sunroof to take.

Don't let your dealer fool you buy saying replacing the module will fix the problem. Adding the washers is the right fix, and it's relatively easy.

Hope this helps!

#12 ·
I have had my G6 with panoramic sunroof to the dealership twice with rattling noise. According to my dealership GM posted a bulletin on December 14, 2005. My dealership has ordered parts to correct this problem and I am waiting for them to call me to bring my car in to fix it. They mentioned that they may need to replace the headliner? I will post my results asap.

#13 ·
barG6 said:
I have had my G6 with panoramic sunroof to the dealership twice with rattling noise. According to my dealership GM posted a bulletin on December 14, 2005. My dealership has ordered parts to correct this problem and I am waiting for them to call me to bring my car in to fix it. They mentioned that they may need to replace the headliner? I will post my results asap.
They may need to replace the headliner because they have to completely remove it to insert the washers, and will probably ruin it in the process. :D

#14 ·
does anyone have the TSB number or another reference number I can give my dealer. I took my car in not to long ago and they say they have never heard of any fix or for that matter problem with the roofs. I know this is bull, so having these numbers will help me prove my case.

#16 ·
For the record guys, dealers do NOT have to remove the headliner for Panoramic repairs. All they need to do is drop it to access the mounting points. If they do remove the headliner, it's alot of extra work for them ($$), and they can do it without damaging it if they know what they are doing. :beer:

#18 ·
Panoramic Doc said:
For the record guys, dealers do NOT have to remove the headliner for Panoramic repairs. All they need to do is drop it to access the mounting points. If they do remove the headliner, it's alot of extra work for them ($$), and they can do it without damaging it if they know what they are doing. :beer:
Obviously never been to a dealship in the KC metro area, eh? ;)

#19 ·
Panoramic Doc said:
Panoramic People,

I hate to break it to you, but the problems are not in the sunroof itself. The problem is with the sunroof interface to the vehicle that's causing most of the noises. Replacing the sunroof module is just going to get you the same thing, maybe worse.

There is a TSB out there to add mylar washers to 10 fasteners that attach the sunroof module to the roof body. These helps create a 'sliding' surface for the fasteners, as the torsional twist in the body is too much for the sunroof to take.

Don't let your dealer fool you buy saying replacing the module will fix the problem. Adding the washers is the right fix, and it's relatively easy.

Hope this helps!
Yeah, I posted about this back in November. It's not a TSB though. SM showed it to me - the bulletin number starts with "GS" - he said that since it's not a TSB it will be available for viewing by dealer service departments only.

http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9051#post9051

Finally got around to doing it this week. The one thing that has been bothering me about this car has finally been taken care of. I guess I'll have to start talking nice about my dealership now. :eek:

#20 ·
I've had my 05 with panoramic rook to the dealership 6 times and the only time that it got fixed for more than 2 weeks was the last time i took it. They said they ordered some 75 dollar lubricant and it lasted for about a month. A few days ago i started noticing it again so i called them and now they are working at getting me out of this car and into a new one....im thinking a gtp coupe.... If your not satisfied then threaten them with the lemon law, chances are they will contact GM themselves and you wont have to go through the hiring an attorney and what not. In my opinon the panoramic sunroof is awsome but will forever be stricken with problems, its to much of a headache for me which is why i want a new car.

Ty

#21 ·
tcd2004 said:
I've had my 05 with panoramic rook to the dealership 6 times and the only time that it got fixed for more than 2 weeks was the last time i took it. They said they ordered some 75 dollar lubricant and it lasted for about a month. A few days ago i started noticing it again so i called them and now they are working at getting me out of this car and into a new one....im thinking a gtp coupe.... If your not satisfied then threaten them with the lemon law, chances are they will contact GM themselves and you wont have to go through the hiring an attorney and what not. In my opinon the panoramic sunroof is awsome but will forever be stricken with problems, its to much of a headache for me which is why i want a new car.

Ty
The dealer never fixed it right, per GM's instructions, or it would have been noise-free from then on. No tightening, no lubricants, just adding a tiny bit of permanent space between the frame and the roof.

Mine is a month and a half out from the "real" repair and it still doesn't make a sound. It's quieter now than it was when it was new.

#22 ·
G6 and getting out of problem car

How are you making out getting out of your G6. I'm having many issues with the "P"roof too. Mine has been in 4 times or so with dealer having it over a month total.

I have asked about getting me out of the car and dealer and zone manager is no help. How did you do it? There is suppose to be a fix now, but think it's only going to get worse over time. I also have the steering lock up problem and the seat turning on problem.

Any info you can give me I would appreciate.

My GM rep at customer assistance is trying to help, but keeps running into problems.

PS also have On-Star that can't be tied to Verizons Digital network and drops call all the time, Digital version on On-Star was installed in brand new 05 model car.

Sounds like a class action suite to me. All we need is someone willing to take the case.

#25 ·
i have a 2006 G6 with the panoramic roof. i have had it in the shop now 4 or 5 times. they have tightened bolts and even replaced the whole "module". the wind noise is still horrible but at least it doesn't sound like a tea kettle anymore. i believe the design of the roof is bad. my dealer is in talks with a supervisor at GM to try and fix my problem. i'm not sure what else they can do for my roof but it is still loud. anyone know what my next step should be? what about the lemon law, how does it work? i love my car and my roof (when it's open and suppose to have wind noise). i don't know that i would but it again if i knew all the roof problems.

#26 ·
I too have the P Roof and Love the look but the noise and rattling suck big time!
My 2006 was purchased in March in April they replaced the module it was ok for about 3 weeks and then it started again. I will take it back and have them look at it next time I am in for maintenance but from what I see here the fix is not available...
I asked about this at the dealership when i was buying they said they were not aware of any problems... Sounds like Pontica is trying hard to push this under the rug and not fixing it properly!
Not sure what to do next! Any suggestions ???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.