Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Traction Control Light

101K views 51 replies 19 participants last post by  I hate Pontiac 
#1 ·
I am new to the forum, so forgive me if I don't quite know how to do this! I have a 2006 GTP with about 91K miles. Here recently the traction control indicator would come on (as if I turned off the traction control). Then later on the check engine light would come on intermittenly. After a few trips to the dealership, they said that the fuel injectors were dirty and needed cleaning. So this was done and for a bit seemed ok... Then the traction control light would come on again, and then CE light. Then it I began to feel rough idle and what to me seemed like a miss when I accelerated. So back to the dealership again.. and this time they say that after contacting GM they say the injectors are bad... So have new injectors and can see improvement in how it runs, but the traction control light still comes on.. :mad: I have had different people tell me that the two are not related but then some say that they are. The ABS light has never come on, so I didn't think it was a wheel sensor... would love to hear if anyone has experienced this issue!!! thanks! and yes, I love my G6:D

#2 ·
I've had the same problem recently.I took my car to a mechanic and had a diagnostic test ran and the Camshaft position sensor and the MAP sensor was out.I changed both and the car seems to be running fine.From the research ive done its a cause of the wiring on the car.the wires are ran to close or ontop of the engine causing them to melt and ground out.Afaulty ground will cause the sensors to go out which causes the trac control light to come on and make the car shift hard.If the check engine light is on you can go to autozone and have them put it on a computer reader and get the code.If not you have to go to the dealer or a machanic with a comp diagnostic test machine to find out which sensor is bad.so far with mine its electrical not machinical.

#4 ·
ongoing issues...

Well, now the CEL is back on (though not all the time). I had a computer put on it and it gave the code P0174. Since I have had the fuel injectors replaced, I know that's not the issue... It said that it could also be O2 sensor Bank 2 - sensor 1. Could anyone tell me where that one is located? Is it in front or or in the back of the converter? :mad:

#7 ·
Well, now the CEL is back on (though not all the time). I had a computer put on it and it gave the code P0174. Since I have had the fuel injectors replaced, I know that's not the issue... It said that it could also be O2 sensor Bank 2 - sensor 1. Could anyone tell me where that one is located? Is it in front or or in the back of the converter? :mad:
Lefty300:

First clean your MAF sensor if you have not. If that doesn't help (& it probably won't but its just good maintenence), you may have an intake air leak downstream of the MAF that is allowing unmetered air into bank 2. A smoke machine leak test can generally find leaks pretty fast.

Your statement "Then it I began to feel rough idle and what to me seemed like a miss when I accelerated" leads me to suspect an intake air leak.

Don't be in a hurry to replace any of the O2 sensors.

Which engine in that car?

#5 · (Edited)
Hi Lefty300:

I also have a 2006 GTP (mine only has 35K miles) that has recently developed virtually exactly the same problems you describe.

1. TC-Off light starts coming on, upon moderate to heavy acceleration, after about driving 10 miles. Shifts hard when light is on. Light goes out when acceleration is discontinued.

2. Has set either DTC P0171 or P0174 (lean, but on different banks) during the last three >100 mile trips on the highway. SES light went off by itself after multiple ignition cycles over two days in one case. The other two times I had the codes read and cleared at Advance Auto Parts.

I am an ex-Pontiac Technician who did these types of problems (admittedly back in the 80's and early 90's) - so I'm familiar with, but not up to speed on OBD2 and the new systems.

Problem with many technicians/dealerships/shops, is if they don't want to take the time to (or don't have the skills/equipment to successfully) diagnose the problem - they will take a guess and throw a part or parts at it. Hence your fuel injectors. FYI - oxygen sensors have always been the most replaced emissions item that usually fixes nothing.

I am in process of researching this problem/fixes that make sense to me (on various places on the Internet. As you can see - there are very few problems that are unique to one vehicle (since we have the same problem). I also have a full set of factory shop manuals, but no scan tool of my own - so diagnosis per the manual is a bit troublesome when it calls for the scan tool.

From what I have read so far - the TC light and hard shifting seems to be the result of poor (intermittent) engine performance. Off the top of my head, MAF sensor issues (as stated both elsewhere in this forum and elsewhere on the Internet) makes sense to me for both the codes and the poor intermittent performance. I've already given mine a cursory look-over for vacuum leaks. Going to see if cleaning my MAF sensor will fix the problem.

If I get it figured out I'll post. Please do the same if you have success.

LMyer

#6 ·
Removed the MAF sensor from the car for inspection. It did not appear to be dusty or dirty, but I sprayed it down good through both ways with CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner and let dry for 5 min. Installed back in the car along with new air filter (old filter one was not really bad yet, but put a new one in anyway). Test drove for 1/2 hour and I could not get the TC-Off light to come on during acceleration (it seems to be fixed). Also appears to idle a little better and have a little more snap from idle. Admittedly - all of this could just be wishful thinking. I'll know for sure in a few days, as the TC-Off light has been a daily observable problem and the weather is supposed to be exactly the same.

ps to Lefty300. I found in my service manual where they say the TC-Off light problem is linked with various codes including P0171 and P0174.

LMyer

#8 ·
Removed the MAF sensor from the car for inspection. It did not appear to be dusty or dirty, but I sprayed it down good through both ways with CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner and let dry for 5 min. Installed back in the car along with new air filter (old filter one was not really bad yet, but put a new one in anyway). Test drove for 1/2 hour and I could not get the TC-Off light to come on during acceleration (it seems to be fixed). Also appears to idle a little better and have a little more snap from idle. Admittedly - all of this could just be wishful thinking. I'll know for sure in a few days, as the TC-Off light has been a daily observable problem and the weather is supposed to be exactly the same.
LesMyer:
In your case having both 171 & 174 (both banks running over lean) a dirty MAF sensor could account for that. A dirty MAF sensor can't correctly meter the incoming air quantity so it sends bad input to the ECM/PCM. If only one bank reports as lean, generally it's not a MAF sensor issue. Having a scan tool that reads real-time fuel trim data is very helpful/necessary in diagnosis. They can be had for a couple hundred bucks now. I use ScanXL with enhanced GM add-on on a laptop.

#13 ·

LMyer
Mine still appears to be fixed.

LMyer

#11 ·
I have a 3.9L V6 engine... it's been a great car.. and I'm actually thinking of selling it and getting a G8. But until then, I am hopeful I can get this thing taken care of. Would not want to sell to someone with this issue going on.

I will be checking out all the suggestions on here... and if you (or I) find out the issues... I will post asap!:)

#12 · (Edited)
I have a 3.9L V6 engine...
The traction control lamp will go out after you resolve the p0174 code. The EBCM shut off the traction control system in response to that code popping.

So pretty much all I know about your car is that you have an over-lean condition in bank 2. Either you have too much air or not enough fuel in bank 2. Since you don't have any other codes set, an intake air leak past the MAF & affects only bank 2 is a prime suspect. But there are many other possibilities. I suspect you will need help sorting it.
• Allow the engine to reach operating temperature. With the engine running, observe the Long Term FT parameter with a scan tool. The value should be less than approximately 19.5 percent with the engine running at operating temperature.

• If the value is not less than 19.5 percent, inspect for the following:

- With the ignition ON and the engine OFF, observe the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor parameter. The MAP sensor pressure should be within the range specified for your altitude. Refer to Altitude Versus Barometric Pressure .

⇒ If the MAP sensor does not indicate the correct barometric pressure, refer to DTC P0106, P0107, or P0108 .

- With the engine idling, observe the mass air flow (MAF) sensor parameter. The MAF sensor parameter should be within 3-10 g/s at idle.

⇒ If the MAF sensor parameter is not within 3-10 g/s at idle, refer to DTC P0101 or P1101 or DTC P0102 or P0103 .

- Vacuum hoses for splits, kinks, and proper connections

- Sufficient fuel in the tank

- Low fuel pressure

- Fuel contamination

- Properly functioning fuel injectors

- Missing, loose, or leaking exhaust components from the HO2S forward

- Vacuum leaks at the intake manifold, the throttle body, the brake booster hose, and the injector O-rings

- The air induction system and the air intake ducts for leaks or for a missing air filter element

- Evaporative canister purge lines plugged or obstructed

- The crankcase ventilation system for leaks

- The HO2S for proper installation and for electrical wires or connectors that may have contacted the exhaust system

- The HO2S signal circuit open, shorted to ground, or shorted to the low reference circuit

- The HO2S sensor 1 low signal circuit for an open circuit or high resistance

- Malfunctioning engine components

-------------------------------------------------------
Here's more info:
http://www.aa1car.com/library/problem_hesitation.htm

#16 ·
Noob here, seems like I am having a similar issue with my 06 G6 GTP that we bought last week with 78K on it. It runs like a champ 90% of the time but then I had the TC-off light flicker and had a ruff idle around town at <35mph range... Got on the freeway and at about 40mph it would no longer accelerate...pressed the pedal a little more and then it would finally catch on after 5-6sec and jump to 4k RPMs and be just fine until I would reach speed and let off the gas... Then as I would need to accelerate again to maintain speed...no acceleration when I press the gas and RPMs drop to 1k or less...So, I press on the gas and it repeats this process three times. The last time it happened (on this same trip) I must have gave it too much gas when it lost the ability to accelerate and killed the engine...Put the car in N and restarted it as I coasted, started right up and ran like a champ the whole way home. (50+ miles up and down canyons and then around town.) Can it be that intermittent? I will try the MAS cleaning and see if any codes are there (although no CEL came on only the TC-off.) Any other thoughts? Any help is appreciated!

#20 ·
i know this thread is old but I'm new to the forum. I have a 2006 GTP and am having the exact same problem. Intermittent hesitation on acceleration with the traction control light illuminating. Intermittant lean bank 2 codes are also recorded. Checked the fuel trim and they were normal until taking off from a stop. Thats when the hesitation occurred. The short term trim would jump to almost 20 before evening back out. Replaced all fuel injectors and haven't received the code again. Still feels like it's hesitating on takeoff and still have the rough idle with the rattling sound. Replaced the MAF and checked the MAP sensor. Same issue. I also noticed occasionally when I takeoff from a stop, when I shift from first to second, the engine will rev up between shifts and I have to engage the clutch to bring it back down. Only does this between 1 and 2. Any new information on this problem would be appreciated. I'm starting to pull my hair out.

#21 ·
What engine?

Mileage?

So you had a p0174, you replaced all the injectors & how long has it been without that 174?

No other codes in the last couple months?

You are saying that bank 2 STFT was jumping to plus 20? What's it doing now?

You should clean the throttle body if you haven't lately.

#22 ·
2006 GTP with a 3.9 litre. Dont' ge the code anymore but when I hook up the scan tool the short term fuel trim goes way up on take off. The throttle body has been cleaned and all the plugs and wires replaced. When it idles it feels like a cylinder is missing causing the rattle. As for the perforamace, some days the car runs like a raped ape, some days I think an old lady in a Caprice could out run me.

#25 ·
Sorry guys, I had to go out of town for a family emergency and just got a chance to check the fuel trims. Bank 1 is at 9.4 and bank 2 is at 7.8. These are the long term trims. I don't think it's the gasket due to the fact that I just replaced all the fuel injectors and the plenum gasket with it. I guess it could be the lower gasket. But after I replaced the injectors the code never came up again but the hesitation and rough idle are still present. Lately it has started almost stalling occasionally when I take off. It hesitates severely then takes off normally. Sometimes it runs great and I can feel the power difference. Thanks for any help.

#26 ·
Changing T/C Sensors on the wheels?

I know this thread is old but I am still having problems w/my G6GTP. Has anyone with this problem changed the T/C Sensors on the wheels? My hubby thinks this might resolve the issue on my car. This car has been a problem since day 1. An acceleration on an incline causes the T/C light to go on. Then if you don't let up on the gas pedal the engine light will come on. I have to get this resolved but dealership has no idea what to do. We replaced the throttle control body awhile ago. Could it be the sensors?
Thanks,
suebot

#27 ·
I know this thread is old but I am still having problems w/my G6GTP. Has anyone with this problem changed the T/C Sensors on the wheels? My hubby thinks this might resolve the issue on my car. This car has been a problem since day 1. An acceleration on an incline causes the T/C light to go on. Then if you don't let up on the gas pedal the engine light will come on. I have to get this resolved but dealership has no idea what to do. We replaced the throttle control body awhile ago. Could it be the sensors?
wheel speed sensors? it could. but with no codes that would come under the category of throwing parts at it. there are a lot of issues that will cause the abs computer to disable TC. most have nothing to do with the brake system. my advice is to have the abs codes read next time u see the TC lamp on or get the DIC message. abs codes cant be read by a simple code reader. it requires a scan tool.

#30 ·
I know this is an old forum and this may be unrelated but I am stumped and the dealer has already charged me a fortune.
I have a 2009 G6 with 3.5. Driving home one night and out of the blue it shut down... no noises no indication of problem. When trying to restart the only way it would is if I held the pedal to the floor and then it would only go about 500 ft (no SEL). Took it in and was told the MAF was bad (reading -41 deg F) changed that and still not running right... the oil was tainted from all the fuel dumped in due to the MAF reading so that was changed as well as the spark plugs. Next he replaces the camshaft acuater sensor and says he is 100% sure this is the issue... still will only run if the MAP sensor is unplugged (and then is sluggish naturally) Mechanic tells me there is too much Alcohol in my gas and either I drain my gas or run some solvents through with it (recommended Lucas) and once the gas is gone fill up with fresh, plug the MAP sensor in and all will be well... NOT... still dies when MAP sensor is plugged in and lags when its unplugged....PLEASE HELP!

#31 ·
Traction Control

I am new to this website.. I know that these post are a couple years old. However, I have been experiencing problems with my G6 GTP traction control.
It started a few months after purchasing this car. I now have about 176,000 miles on it and the traction control is really acting up. The light comes on, as if I turned it off. The engine light comes on and off, even at times starts blinking. When I first experienced the problem I took it three times to the dealer, while under warranty.. of course they could not find any problems. It now is affecting how fast it gets up to speed, it jerks into gear and it just seems like it doesn't want to go. My mileage is also dropping.
I have recently replaced one of my fuel injectors and had my engine flushed... to my knowledge this has nothing to do with the traction control system.
I am having a mechanic look at it but something tells me its going to be a dealer ship issue. Any suggestions or are any of you still experiencing this issue?

#33 ·
I am new to this website.. I know that these post are a couple years old. However, I have been experiencing problems with my G6 GTP traction control.
It started a few months after purchasing this car. I now have about 176,000 miles on it and the traction control is really acting up. The light comes on, as if I turned it off. The engine light comes on and off, even at times starts blinking. When I first experienced the problem I took it three times to the dealer, while under warranty.. of course they could not find any problems. It now is affecting how fast it gets up to speed, it jerks into gear and it just seems like it doesn't want to go. My mileage is also dropping.
I have recently replaced one of my fuel injectors and had my engine flushed... to my knowledge this has nothing to do with the traction control system.
I am having a mechanic look at it but something tells me its going to be a dealer ship issue. Any suggestions or are any of you still experiencing this issue?
the abs controller will disable TC for a very long list of reasons. no one can help without knowing what codes it's throwing. one thing that i can say for sure is when the CEL is blinking the engine is misfiring at a high enough rate to ruin the cat convertor/s. i suggest u do not run the engine while that lamp is blinking.

#32 ·
I experienced the same problem yesterday after taking the car through the car wash of all things! Service Traction Control and Reduced Engine Power light went out after 30 minutes and the car seems to be running fine now, but the Engine icon is still lit on the dashboard. I'm heading over to AutoZone later to see what's up. This is very strange... I guess a guy can't take his vehicle to the car wash anymore. From now on I'll do it myself with the garden hose.

#35 ·
TC/Engine Light

Thank you for your feed back. When I took my car to Advance it was reading nine codes. One was a misfire, another my coolant was reading too cool and the others I'm not so sure. My car is now with a mechanic. Fingers crossed, it isn't the rest of my fuel injectors. :/

#41 ·
Hello VAG6owner and Ptucci,

I understand that you both have some concerns with the traction control in your vehicles. I am not able to give any technical advice, but I will be glad to look further into your concerns. If I can be of any assistance, please feel free to send us a private message referencing this thread. I will be glad to help you both!

Kristen A.
GM Customer Care

#42 ·
Frustrated

I'm new to this and read through this thread but didn't see my answer. I have a 2006 G6, about a month ago the traction control light and abs light came on and also the radio alert said that I had low engine power, and I couldn't drive it. Had it towed to dealer and they said that I needed to update the software, replace the throttle casing and replaced the battery, so I had that done $1000.00 later. Ran ok for about a month and now the traction control light and abs light is back on, i'm not loosing power right now but just think it may be a matter of time. Any Ideas?

#44 ·
I'm new to this and read through this thread but didn't see my answer. I have a 2006 G6, about a month ago the traction control light and abs light came on and also the radio alert said that I had low engine power, and I couldn't drive it. Had it towed to dealer and they said that I needed to update the software, replace the throttle casing and replaced the battery, so I had that done $1000.00 later. Ran ok for about a month and now the traction control light and abs light is back on, i'm not loosing power right now but just think it may be a matter of time. Any Ideas?
TC & ABS indicators on just tell u the car popped a code (but not necessarily a brake code). u need to get all the codes read by a dealer or shop that has a proper scan tool. with the code/s i can advise further.

#43 ·
Hi slash614,

I'm sorry to hear about your traction control concerns. I understand your frustrations and will be glad to take a further look into this. Please send a PM with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership if I can be of any assistance.

Kristen A.
GM Customer Care

#46 ·
Sounds like i have same issues as the rest on here. T/C Off light comes on during acceleration or up a little hill, even on cruise control. CEL is on as well.

I get P0174, P0442, P0446 almost all the times I check.

I did get P0102 once and i cleaned the MAF. Seemed to alleviate the problem for a few months. Maybe i need to get a new MAF.

Havent tried the smoke test on intake/vac yet. that might be next if cheap and easy.

2006 G6 GTP - 160k - 3.9

#47 ·
...I get P0174, P0442, P0446 almost all the times I check.

I did get P0102 once and i cleaned the MAF...

2006 G6 GTP - 160k - 3.9

P0102
P0174
P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)
P0446 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.